Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271672 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #1200 on: April 29, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »

VOTE TODAY for July Book Club Online

Titles are all linked to reviews or descriptions
(PLEASE READ REVIEWS BEFORE VOTING - SOME REALLY GOOD, THOUGH NOT WELL-KNOWN TITLES)

Title
Author
Lucky Jim                    Kingsley Amis
A Good Death                    Elizabeth Ironside
Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II                    Denise Kiernan
THE BOOK OF AGES; THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF JANE FRANKLIN                    Jill Lepore
The Greater Journey - Americans in Paris                    David McCullough
Straight Man                    Richard Russo

VOTE HERE

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1201 on: April 29, 2014, 04:58:29 PM »
Our library has 7 copies of I ALWAYS LOVED YOU and only 10 current holds. I think I would get the book in time for a mid May discussion. I think I'll vote for this one.

There are 2 copies of THE GO BETWEEN (no holds yet)

Also 2 copies of THE ILLUSTRATED CIDER WITH ROSIE (no holds yet). It's categorized as a biography of Mr. Laurie Lee (1914 – 1997), an English poet, novelist and screenwriter.

A number of editions of LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER.

Our library also does not have any copies of the play AN INSPECTOR CALLS.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1202 on: April 30, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
How about we start with one of them - and then get started with a vote?

I'll put The Go-Between -   L.P. Hartley -  http://www.amazon.com/Go-Between-York-Review-Books-Classics/dp/0940322994

I love this line - The G0-Between - "One of the fabled opening lines in modern literature: ‘The past is a foreign country: They do things differently there.’"

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1203 on: April 30, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »
I studied The Go-Between for O-level English at school and absolutely adored it.  That first line is forever etched on my memory, as are Leo's fateful words 'A labour of love it truly was, the first I had ever done.'

My friends and I snuck in to see the Julie Christie film when we were technically under-age; it too was wonderful, or so we thought at the time.

Rosemary

Dana

• ::
« Reply #1204 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
yes, The Go-Between was once one of my favourite books and I read all of LP Hartley, still have them but don't remember them........................
just found them,  The Shrimp and the Anemone, Eustace and Hilda, The Sixth Heaven.  He was born in 1895 and his books were written in the 40s and 50s.  There are 3 others which I have not read and he died in 1972.  I guess I didn't read them because they were published later in 1970 and 71.
Worth reading , and the movie was great.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1205 on: May 01, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
Well, I'm sold!  Even if you hadn't spoken up for The Go-Between, I think I'd vote for it for that opening line!  If it wins, I certainly hope you'll join us, Rosemary and Dana.

The titles  in the heading at the top of the page are all linked to reviews or descriptions

VOTING WILL BEGIN TODAY May 1 - May 7!  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1206 on: May 28, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
Annie, I can't remember just where I saw your post on how Robin Oliveira's book, I ALWAYS LOVED YOU reminded you Susan Vreeland's work - The Boating Party...
I wonder if you noticed on the back of the Oliveira book jacket - this quote from S. Vreeland herself...

"What a joy it is to be back in Belle Époque Paris with my old artist friends, guided by the masterful pen of Robin Oliveira whose finely crafted language brings to light the complicated relationships of four of the principals of the Impressionist movement—Cassatt, Degas, Manet, Morisot. Only an omniscient narrator has the latitude to disclose the private yearnings and fears of these four as they grapple with issues of art execution, scathing reviews, self-doubt, elusive fame, tempestuous love, and creeping mortality. Here, in beautiful prose, juicy with nuance and depth, is the intimate, heart-wrenching story behind Impressionist art history, with Mary Cassatt at its center. A glorious achievement."
-- Susan Vreeland, author of Luncheon of the Boating Party:

Hope to see many of you in this discussion - beginning June 1. 
By the way, Annie, Pedln and I are meeting in DC at the National Museum of Art on June 3 to view the Cassatt/Degas exhibition.  If you are anywhere in the area, we'd love for you to join us.  But if now, we'll take notes, pictures and share our observations with you here in the discussion.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1207 on: May 29, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
Reading comments posted earlier has given me some great books for my list. Seems I've missed some great discussions.  My library has nothing by Hartley except The Go-between, it's on my list.  Three Men in a Boat: to say nothing of the dog reminded me of the Connie Willis '...nothing but the dog'.  Described as hilarious, it's part of her Oxford time travel series.  I need a laugh, I'm always on the look-out for books with humor. 

Here's a list of good humor books for 2013.  http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-humor-books-2013
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1208 on: May 30, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »
Wasn't the Go-Between wonderful, Jackie?  I just finished it two days ago.  Thanks for the list of numerous books - some of the readers here seem to be in the mood for such entertainment...  We'll start voting for July soon. Any specific suggestions?

marjifay

« Reply #1209 on: June 03, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
Suggestion for July book:

STRAIGHT MAN by Richard Russo.  (391 pp, 1997)  The book description says "In this uproarious novel, Richard Russo performs his characteristic high-wire walk between hilarity and heartbreak. Russo's protagonist is William Henry Devereaux, Jr., the reluctant chairman of the English department of a badly underfunded college in the Pennsylvania rust belt. Devereaux's reluctance is partly rooted in his character--he is a born anarchist-- and partly in the fact that his department is more savagely divided than the Balkans. "
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #1210 on: June 03, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
If I can suggest more than one, I would suggest a book I've wanted to read for a long time:

LUCKY JIM by Kingsley Amis  (250 pp, 1953) Per Amazon review, "Regarded by many as the finest, and funniest, comic novel of the twentieth century,   In Lucky Jim, Amis introduces us to Jim Dixon, a junior lecturer at a British college who spends his days fending off the legions of malevolent twits that populate the school.  His job is in constant danger, often for good reason.  Lucky Jim hits the heights whenever Dixon tries to keep a preposterous situation from spinning out of control, which is every three pages or so.  The final example of this--a lecture spewed by a hideously pickled Dixon--is a chapter's worth of comic nirvana. The book is not politically correct (Amis wasn't either), but take it for what it is, and you won't be disappointed.".
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #1211 on: June 04, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
I have recently fallen in love with
Elizabeth Ironside, which is a pen name. A good Death is a marvelous book which develops a great amount of information on the French countryside in WWII.. I think it would be an interesting book to tackle, since we have so many readers who are also good researchers and I would love to get a clearer picture of this era.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #1212 on: June 04, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
Thanks, Steph. I've added Ironside's A GOOD DEATH to my TBR  list.  Sounds interesting.  I like good mysteries and have meant to read about that era in France.

A couple of nonfiction books I've had waiting to be read about Vichy France:

BAD FAITH; A FORGOTTEN HISTORY OF FAMILY, FATHERLAND AND VICHY FRANCE  by Carmen Callil. (2006)  Per Publisher's Weekly,  Starred Review:  "The bottomless corruption, political and personal, of French fascism is explored in this absorbing biography of one of its most loathsome figures—Louis Darquier, commissioner for Jewish affairs under the Vichy regime. A violent anti-Semite and paid Nazi propagandist before WWII, he helped organize the deportation of French Jews, including thousands of children, to Auschwitz during the German occupation."

PETAIN; HOW THE HERO OF FRANCE BECAME A CONVICTED TRAITOR AND CHANGED THE COURSE OF HISTORY by Charles Williams (298 pp, 2005)  Per Publisher's Weekly: "Seeking to cut the best deal possible for France, Pétain eventually learned the impossibility of compromise with Hitler and went on to condone German atrocities, to create a police state and to accept the deportation of 75,000 French Jews, most of whom were murdered. Williams, without seeking to rehabilitate Pétain, describes a man who was a misguided patriot; his lucid, dispassionate examination of a man who grossly overestimated himself gives just as clear a picture of the political conditions that created him."

Marj

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1213 on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
 :D Keeping me running, Marjifay!  Just brought up the first suggestions to the heading...all three available in the Library now - no hold lists.  Will check on the latest entries... Thanks!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1214 on: June 04, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »
just checked new arrivals...all available in libraries!  Thanks!  See heading (first post at the top of this page)

marjifay

« Reply #1215 on: June 04, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »
JoanP, I didn't mean to nominate the two nonfiction books, Bad Faith and Petain.  I just posted them for information re Vichy France.

Marj

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1216 on: June 04, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
Aha!  Now you tell me! :D

Steph

« Reply #1217 on: June 06, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions on the non fiction and will look for them.

marjifay

« Reply #1218 on: June 08, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »
Here's another nomination:

THE BOOK OF AGES; THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF JANE FRANKLIN by Jill Lapore  (442 pp, 2013)

Per Booklist, "Starred Review* Award-winning historian, Harvard professor, and New Yorker staff writer Lepore, whose The Mansion of Happiness (2012) was a Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction finalist, was intrigued to learn that Benjamin Franklin and his youngest sister, Jane, were so close they were called Benny and Jenny. Renowned, world-traveling brother and obscure, homebound sister exchanged loving, newsy, bantering letters for more than 60 years. Most of his were preserved, while three decades’ worth of hers disappeared. This near-erasure, along with the gender bias that determined the vast differences in the siblings’ education, opportunities, and experiences, become as much a focus in this zestfully rigorous portrait as Jane herself. The most poignant artifact Lepore unearthed was Jane’s handmade “Book of Ages,” recording the birth of her 12 children and, excruciatingly, the eventual deaths of all but one of them. In spite of the tragedies she endured, Jane’s surviving letters are “gabby, frank, and vexed,” the correspondence of a smart, witty, hardworking woman who “loved best books about ideas,” reveled in gossip, expressed “impolite” opinions on religion and politics, and shared piquant observations of the struggle for American independence. By restoring Jane so vividly to the historical record, Lepore also provides a fresh, personal perspective on Benjamin."

Marj

mabel1015j

« Reply #1219 on: June 08, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
I've read about the Jane Franklin book a couple of times. It sounds very interesting.

Jean

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1220 on: June 08, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
So,  t'isn't a new book.  That's good.  Be back in a bit to put it up.  Thanks!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1221 on: June 08, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
Marj, Lucky Jim sounds like it would be very funny and interesting.

bellamarie

« Reply #1222 on: June 09, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »
marj.,  STRAIGHT MAN by Richard Russo

We read Richard Russo's That Old Cape Magic in our discussion group, and I just love his style of writing.  Would love to read more of him. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

salan

« Reply #1223 on: June 09, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
I don't know if I put this up to be voted on; but I recommend The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin.
Sally

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1224 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »
Somebody else , I think Tomereader, suggested it a month or two back.  There was a lot of interest, but all the libraries had long waiting lists, so we shelved it until it was more available.  It's getting better in my library--from 117 people waiting for 1 book to 68 people waiting for 39 books.  It's better when there aren't waiting lists.  The discussion doesn't go as well when people have to read the book at different times.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1225 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »
Never had I seen so much enthusiasm for a suggested title as for The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry , Sally!  I think it would be a good choice - IF, as Pat says, people could get their hands on it.  It seems  longer than a month or two ago when it first came up - because I put my name on the HOLD list right away at my library and was way, way back on the queu.  I just checked now - and see that I am number seven on a list of 36 holds.  (My library and its branches have 10 copies.)  The fact that there are now only 36 holds on the book, compared to the hundred-plus copies when I first signed up - indicates that the wait time is getting shorter.  As Pat says - it's important that our readers can get the book in hand when a discussion starts.  Thank you for your continued interest!

Steph

« Reply #1226 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »
sounds like something, I will put on my list to hunt in thrift shops, etc.They have the strangest stuff in the book section.

marjifay

« Reply #1227 on: June 12, 2014, 11:31:58 AM »
I guess here in Orange County, California, readers are more interested in political stuff.  Hillary Clinton's HARD CHOICES has 54 on the hold list and it's only the second day out.  I see it gets only 2 stars at Amazon, because most "reviews" are opinions of Hillary, not reviews of her book, from the right-wing Clinton haters, as hardly anyone could read a 600-page book in 2 days.

I see that THE DIVORCE PAPERS had no one on the hold list for the 2 copies in the library.
Now, with my reserve of it, there is one on hold.

(Just remembered that in Simon Sebag's great biography of Stalin, STALIN; THE COURT OF THE RED TSAR, Stalin was an avid reader who read 500 pages per day)

Jonathan

« Reply #1228 on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
That's very interesting, Marj. About Stalin's reading habits. Does the book give any information about the nature of his reading? Novels, history, politics, theology? He did start out studying for the priesthood, didn't he? Or was it all reports, digests, memos? I seem to recall a poet who got himself into serious trouble, after Stalin read one of his poems in which he was slandered. You have reminded me that I have the Sebag book somewhere in the house. Have you finished Berg's bio of Wilson? I've just started reading Ian Kershaw's The End.  The end of all those grand dreams that Hilter started out with. What a nightmare!

Frybabe

« Reply #1229 on: June 12, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
I'd like to add The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II by Denise Kiernan. http://www.girlsofatomiccity.com/video.html

I don't know if it is included in the book, but Simon & Shyster have a group reading guide posted.
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Girls-of-Atomic-City/Denise-Kiernan/9781451617528

NPR did an interview with the author and two of the women who worked there.
http://www.npr.org/2013/03/03/172908135/secretly-working-to-win-the-war-in-atomic-city

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1230 on: June 12, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
Monuments Men is still experiencing waits at the Library...though not as long.  Patience!
Divorce Papers is of interest, except we've been warned not a good one for group discussion...

Frybabe, will add The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II  Denise Kiernan.  I wish you had read the book to determine if our readers would go for it.  They do seem to go for the WWII era though.  

David McCullough's name has come up recently - his The Greater Journey - Americans in Paris.
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Greater-Journey/David-McCullough/9781416571773/reading_group_guide

"From the 1820s to 1900, generations of Americans made the pioneering journey across the Atlantic on a mission of learning and accomplishment in the intellectual, scientific, and artistic capital of the western world: Paris. David McCullough tells the story of the generations of Americans whose struggles and discoveries in the City of Light set them on the path to high achievement..."

We've recently read and discussed this period as well.  Some may wish to continue, now that we are familiar with the names of the time...think Mary Cassatt...

marjifay

« Reply #1231 on: June 13, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »
Jonathan, re Simon Sebag's biography of Stalin, I just remember that the author said he was a great lover of literature and history, reading 500 pp per day.  He wrote poetry as a student.  And, sarcastically, that he loved history so much he felt he had to revise it.  He also said Stalin had a great singing voice, and his friends said he could have become a professional singer.  (My note:  too bad he didn't pursue that career!)  My notes also say "As far as being a likable person, he seems to have been so, at least to his friends. He liked to be around people and have fun. He liked children (but so did Hitler, they say). The author says the foundation of his power was not fear, but his charm. Which he  used to his benefit politically."

Re your mention of the poet who got himself into trouble for what he wrote about Stalin, an Amazon reader said, ""Stalin was extremely bright and amazingly well read. It is easy to see why he was offended by the poet Mandelstam's celebrated line in his "Ode to Stalin", about "His fat fingers" "slimy like slugs". Stalin surely regarded himself as an intellectual and this description as a dim-witted vulgarian could only wound him deeply."

I've meant to read Sebag's YOUNG STALIN which explains how "young Stalin became Stalin."  How he nearly became a priest but was driven away by excessively strict priests at his school, and turned to gang life and petty crime, and then to revolutionary beliefs from a hatred of Tsarist Russia.  A most interesting man.

I'm still reading the 800+ page Wilson biography by Scott Berg.  The Ian Kershaw book sounds interesting -- I'll look for it.

Marj

Dana

• ::
« Reply #1232 on: June 14, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »
Here is a poem by Stalin.  As the book says (Service's biography), not high art in translation, "but in the Georgian original it has a linguistic purity recognised by all."

The pinkish bud has opened,
Rushing to the pale-blue violet,
And, stirred by a light breeze,
The lily of the valley has bent over the grass.

The lark has sung in the dark blue,
Flying higher than the clouds,
And the sweet sounding nightingale
Has sung a song to children from the bushes.

Flower, oh my Georgia!
Let peace reign in my native land!
And may you, friends, make renowned
Our Motherland by study!

Jonathan

« Reply #1233 on: June 14, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Who can believe it? What a strange man. What a strange life. Finding inspiration in flowers and songbirds. It sent me off to look for more and found it in something TBR on my shelf: KOBA THE DREAD: A MEMOIR, A HISTORY, AND A MEDITATION ON STALIN AND HIS LEGACY, by Martin Amis, son of LUCKY JIM.

Yes, Stalin did win a scholarship to the Tiflis Theological Seminary, but 'was expelled, or he dropped out. Thereafter he became a full-time revolutionary.' p99

His poetry now takes on a different tone: 'Know that he who fell like ash to the earth/ Who long ago became enslaved/ Will rise again, winged with bright hope, Above the great mountains.' p99

Amis continues with: 'In 1921, with Stalin's full support, Lenin reannexed Georgia (which had been granted independence the year before) by invasion. Stalin went down south to attend a plenum of the new administration: his first visit for nine years. He addressed a group of railway workers and was heckled into silence with cries of "renegade" and "traitor."  At a later meeting he harangued the local Bolshevik leaders:

"You hens! You sons of asses! What is going on here? You must draw a white-hot iron over this Georgian land!...It seems to me you have already forgotten the principle of the dictatorship of the proletariot. You will have to break the wings of this Georgia! Let the blood of the petit bourgeois flow until they give up all their resistance! Impale them! Tear them apart." '  ( 99-100)

Koba was his self-adopted nickname, meaning something like Robin Hood.

And Hilter had dreams of being an artist, an architect!

Jonathan

« Reply #1234 on: June 14, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
Both men must have discovered that their country called them.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1235 on: June 15, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
We're about ready to open the vote for July...but first...

Two things just happened. Ella posted she's ready to go with Monumens Men by Bret Witter and Robert M. Edsel...and my library just sent a notice that my copy is ready with a very short hold list.

IF a few of you would check your library  for this book...and find it available, we can add it as a last minute title for July consideration...

Thanks!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1236 on: June 15, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
My library system has 68 holds waiting for 53 copies; I think that's about the same as the last time I checked.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1237 on: June 16, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »
Monuments Men: 98 holds on 20 copies.

Frybabe

« Reply #1238 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:01 AM »
My library has 33 holds on 9 copies of Monuments Men.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1239 on: June 16, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
 :D It looks like we'd better put off consideration of Monuments Men for several more weeks! Thanks for checking!  We'll get the polls up shortly!