Author Topic: Holiday Open House ~ December 1-31  (Read 48802 times)

bellamarie

Re: Holiday Open House ~ December 1-20
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 12:38:45 PM »
Holiday Open House ~ December 1-20

LINKS

Culinary Mysteries

Authors & Their Recipes
---------'Tis the season to be jolly and to talk about:
 BOOKS  AND  FOOD

Who's your favorite cook?
Julia Child?   Nigella Lawson?   Emeril?

Or maybe they exist only in books:
Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Baer?
Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenson?

Have you ever tried their recipes?

Come join us this holiday season,
share your thoughts.
What's good to read and good to eat?

Discussion Leaders:   Pedln & JoanK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear I thought for sure someone was going to have solved this mystery for me.  I have researched not only the four books of Austen I personally own, but I have also gone online and googled, yahoo..ed, ask...ed, Binged and Dogpiled, parts of this passage and still nothing.  I do believe Mrs. B is indeed Mrs. Bennett, since she is in so many of Austen's books.  I have yet to find Lady Cumberland mentioned as a character in any of her books.  grrr...  I shall forge on until my mind is satisfied.

I visited Amazon hoping to catch a break once I found Kafka's Soup recipe book, but to my dismay, nothing!  Pedln, I am happy to hear you were able to discover something of use for your DIL's birthday, while at Amazon.

So who has their Christmas shopping completed?  Do many of you have grandchildren who live close by, and do you buy for them?  I have five grandchildren nearby, and my hubby ( Mr. Claus and I) spend way too much spoiling them this time of year.  I suspect once we retire, we will not be able to continue this path.  

Okay...welll everyone have a nice day, and don't give up on the search for the Austen book.  I trust one of you will find it, Senior Learn never leaves one leaf uncovered.  
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

CubFan

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
Greetings,

Just laid my hands on a new book (2009 copyright) that may be of interest to this group.  It is called The Christmas Cookie Club a novel by Ann Pearlman.  The catalog notes say, "This riveting debut novel follows the rich and complicated friendships among thirteen women who meet for a cookie exchange every year on the first Monday of December.  Everyone has to bring a dish, a bottle of wine, and their stories.  This year the stories are especially important."

I probably won't be able to comment on the book further before Christmas (even though I have checked it out) because I cannot allow myself to do any more reading until I finish the counted cross stitch stocking for my new son in law.  I have been working on it every possible minute since September but it is going extremely slow partially because the pattern is unnecessarily complicated and partially because I can't see as well as I used to and need to use a magnifying glass for both reading the pattern and doing the work. The end is in sight - but still a ways off. At least I know that he is looking forward to it (I don't make them until they are officially family members - no significant others) and he knows how much work they are because he's seen my daughter progress slowly on her projects.

I hope someone is able to get the book and share with the group.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »
Wow!
So much to enjoy this morning. I've read all of Austen's finished novels many times: if that passage were in one of them, I think (emphasis on Think) I'd remember it. It couldn't be in "Lady Susan": that's narrated in the first person. It could be in one of her unfinished novels "Sanditon" or "The Watsons". It's been forever since I read them. My guess, if it IS Austen (it kinda sounds like her, but not quite) is it's from there or one of the fragments that she left -- has anyone read those?

In edit: I googled the two novels above (hadn't seen your last post yet, Belle): no joy, as the British say. But do not despair: as you say "Senior Learn never leaves one leaf uncovered". I'll turn it over to my daughter, who is even more of an Austen nut than I am.

Kafka's soup recipe book sounds absolutely GREAT! I've already exceeded my book-buying budget. But I know -- I'll buy it for a Christmas present and read it first!

"The Chrismas Cookie Club sounds great, too. I wonder if I could get away with another Christmas present? Hmm. This discussion may do all my Christmas shopping for me.

salan

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
I had forgotten about the "Aunt Dimity" books.  I thoroughly enjoyed them (especially the first ones in the series). 
Speaking of Jane Austen, I really enjoyed the movie "The Jane Austen Book Club" and watched it several times.  I bought the book, but somehow couldn't get into the book when I tried to read it.  I usually much prefer the books to the movies, so I was surprised that it couldn't hold my interest.  One of these days.....

I just finished Anne Perry's A Christmas Secret.  The book takes place December of 1890 in England.  Dominic Corde & his wife, Clarice have come to temporarily fill the job of vicar in the vilage of Cottisham.  Perry's description of the village of Cottisham and the cozy inviting vicarage made me want to spend Christmas there.  It's a quick read and a mystery but no recipes!  I like Anne Perry and enjoyed this book.
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
Salen: you missed our discussion of "The Jane Austen Book Club". The author, Karen Joy Fowler was in the discussion, and met with some of us when she was in DC. She was a delight!

bellamarie

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:17 PM »
JoanK,  Thank you for your efforts to solve this mystery.  I have a friend who has a young daughter in her 30's who is a true Austen fan and she is puzzled too.  She also thought possbily, The Watsons, but I checked out the characters, and they don't seem to be the ones mentioned in the passages.  I am still searching. lol

Mary, The Christmas Cookie Club sounds like something I would like, and intend to go purchase it tomorrow.  I wanted a good Christmas story to delve into and this is going to be my choice.  I belonged to a Bunko club, and all us friends would do a yearly cookie switch, I am sure this will bring back some nice memories.  Thank you so much for the recommendation, and good luck on getting that stocking's cross stitching done. Over the years I have made special stockings with names on them for our entire family, including the five grandchildren.  I hang them all down the staircase and each one of my grandkids look for their stocking at Nonnie & Papa's house.  On Christmas morning my hubby and I fill them and take them to our family Christmas breakfast.  Then I collect them once they are empty, and bring them back home for the next year.  I think I just may prepare A'la Jane Austen's Tarragon eggs this year!  I'm not sure if I have ever tasted tarragon, so maybe I will do a rehearsal, as Lady Cumberland suggested.  
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Babi

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »
 I've come across the word 'duff' in my reading, and other than realizing
it was a dessert, I had no idea what it was. I'd be pleased to find out
more. Maybe it's something I can 'imitate' easily.

Somebody doesn't like lemon squares??  If I were there, I'd probably
stare at them in astonishment!

MARY, what a thoughtful way to welcome someone into the family. I used to cross-stitch, but it became less enjoyable as it became more difficult for one reason and another. I have a project in the drawer beside my favorite chair, but I haven't been inspired to work on it in a long while.

I've never read an Anne Perry I didn't like, SALLY. I'll try to get that
one, too. I know my library has at least three of her 'Christmas' books.

BELLA, it's looking more and more as though that egg recipe is not really
in a Jane Austen book. Maybe JOANK is right and it's from an unpublished segment. Or, as I suspect, it may be a vignette 'in the style of' Jane Austen, and not actually written by her.
  Testing the recipe would be a good idea. Personally, I don't care for
tarragon. YOu might prefer to substitute an herb to your own taste.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »
I've read Jane Austen so many times I practically know her by heart, and I'm absolutely sure that scene is not in one of the finished books.  I'm less familiar with the fragments, so can't swear to them.

bellamarie

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »
Reading a book is like rewriting it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms. ~Angela Carter, novelist and journalist (1940-1992)[/b]

I absolutely LOVE this!  It is so true.

Babi,   "Or, as I suspect, it may be a vignette 'in the style of' Jane Austen, and not actually written by her."

I tend to agree with you Babi, and JoanK, after doing so very much research in the books and internet, I am not coming up with a Mrs. Cumberland whatsoever.  Since I just began reading Austen, I of course would not have known this, but now after on good accord from all you Austen fans, I am beleiving this is NOT from an actual book of hers.  If it is indeed in "the style of Austen" it would explain why Mrs. Bennett was not used, rather just Mrs. B.  Thank you all for helping me, its been fun trying to figure out this mystery, and ALAS!.... Kafka's recipe book has led us all to wonderful recipes and other books of interest at Amazon!  PatH, I'm anxiously awaiting to see what your daughter has to say about these paragraphs.

Mippy

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Regarding  duff ... isn't it usually plum duff ?   Didn't it come up in the Aubrey series?  Or was it another British author?   
Tip-of-tongue moment    :)

Thanks to all you great bookies, I've found my old, old copies of 3 by Diane Mott Davidson:  Cereal Murders, Tough Cookie, and Grilling Season.
They should last me through several evenings ... if I can avoid eating sweets while reading about all the yummy food !

Just finished my on-line shopping for the grandchildren!  Fun, easy   :D
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Gumtree

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 11:12:25 AM »
Bellamarie What a puzzle you set us. I'm another who can't place the scene purported to be from Jane Austen's writings. It's not from Sanditon or The Watsons - I checked out Evelyn and other fragments that Austen had written as well as her Juvenilia and can't see any reference to a Lady Cumberland. I'd agree with others here that it is probably from one of the plethora of 'would-be' Austen writers - or maybe it is from the continuation of The Watsons which her brother wrote - but I don't have a copy of that.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
I think the "a la Jane Austen" recipe may very well refer to that which was served during Jane Austin's time - and not cited specifically in her writing.
See if you can make sense of this site - the delightful book captured my attention for a bit too long this morning.  I did stay with it long enough to scroll through the Poultry recipes (there are a number which call for the tarragon herb.)

Gumtree

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
JoanP What a great find - it took my attention a trifle too long too just now. Thanks

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 12:21:01 PM »
Regarding  duff ... isn't it usually plum duff ?   Didn't it come up in the Aubrey series?
Yes, it did.  I have a very amusing cookbook, "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", written by a mother-daughter team, Anne Chotzinoff Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas.  They have taken just about every item of food mentioned in the series, tracked down recipes, and tried them out.  Their lengthy stories about the process are charming and sometimes hilarious.

They give 2 recipes for plum duff.  On shipboard it involves 4 lb flour, 2 lb grated pork fat, 1 c sugar, 1 qt water and 1 1/2 c raisins tied up in pudding bags and boiled 5 hours in with the salt meat.  Ugh.  On land it's a raised dough with flour, yeast , sugar, milk, allspice, cinnamon, and raisins, still boiled.

mrssherlock

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »
There is a concordance site online; I checked the Jane Austen entries for Mrs. Eliot and Lady Cumberland with no success.  http://victorian.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/index.html
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Gumtree

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »
Yes, Plum Duff - takes me back. My grandmother made it often and my mother too but just occasionally. It's what we called a 'steamed pudding' usually served hot with hot custard. Very filling and very warming - just the thing on a very cold night - out of fashion these days.   

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

Coming Soon...KIM by Kipling ~ our January Book Club Online.
Let us know you'll be joining us in our discussion.

bellamarie

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2009, 02:15:56 PM »
JoanP, This is a wonderful place to get lost!

Gumtree and mrssherlock, thank you for your insights and help as well.  It surely is a puzzle indeed.

I have decided to try contacting the author to inquire just where he took those passages from.  It seems a bit unfair to cite them and not tell which work of Jane Austen it comes from, if at all.  What exactly does he mean, "a'la" Jane Austen?  The definiton in my Webster's dictionary is:a'la.... after the manner of

So maybe those of you who think it means Austen's style but not her actual work is on to something.  It makes perfect sense according to the definition of a'la.  hmmmm...I'll keep you posted if I hear back from Mr. Crick.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »
I don't have much to add to the Austen mystery. It was my daughter, not PatH's: she thought it might be from the juvenalia, and was going to look for her copy. The only other source would be a letter. But if you couldn't find it in the reference, it may not be Austen. She agrees with me that it's almost, but not quite her style.

Non-the-less, I ordered "Kafka's Soup" through Amazon. I'll read it and give it to my daughter for Christmas (Heh, heh). Amazon has the hardback NEW for $2.78 plus shipping (about $6) which means it's been remaindered. Either it didn't sell, or the paperback is coming out.

Don't have time now to check out "Cook with Jane Austen", but look forward to it.

bellamarie

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
MYSTERY  SOLVED!!!!!

Mark Crick
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark Crick is a British photographer and author, best known for his literary parodies Kafka's Soup and Sartre's Sink, in which he presents recipes and DIY tips in the style of famous literary writers.
Crick studied literature at Warwick University and the University of London.

Parody…n.  a comic work that ridicules the style of another; something so bad as to be a mockery -vt. To ridicule; to make a travesty of.

http://markcrick.com/media/ks/pages/telegraph.html  This article is dated 2005 An interesting article.

This article is an interview of Mark Crick and it states, Now, aged 42, he has combined his love of reading and cooking in Kafka’s Soup, a book of recipes recounted as if famous authors had written them.

He says, “You really want people with a voice that is recognizable even if they’re writing about car maintenance.”
BAH   HUMBUG!!!!!!!   The passages were written by Mark Crick as a parody.  Forget the tarragon eggs, I fear I may not like tarragon afterall, as Babi suggested, I may want to try another herb I am familiar with.

It was fun searching, and as always, I never fail to learn something new with Senior Learn.  Thank you all!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
WHEW!!!

By the way, I checked out "Cooking with Jane Austen" and it's $55. A little bit out of my budget!

There is another book: "Tea with Jane Austen", which might be worth looking at.

tarragon: it seems to me that at any time, there is one herb or spice that is "in" with the young and would-be sophisticated. When Dick and I were a young, childless couple, doing a lot of entertaining, it was tarragon. To show the depths of my worldly sophistication, whenever other couples came over, it had to be in something or other.

Since then, tarragon has sunk without a trace (or barely a trace). I can't remember what it tasted like: my niece claims it tastes like soap, but I don't believe her. I used to like it. I'll bet PatH still has some, and can tell you.

What is the "in" herb or spice now? I'm so "out", I have no idea.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
That link to "Cooking with Jane Austen" has a lot of text, and it includes a recipe somewhat like the tarragon eggs.

Certainly I have tarragon.  It's got a vaguely licorice-like taste, is very good with chicken, and would go well with eggs.  I like it.

What's the "in" herb?  I'm guessing it's still basil.  Anyone?

bellamarie

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »
"What is the "in" herb or spice now? I'm so "out", I have no idea."

My kids are young 20's and 30's and do a lot of dishes for their parties, and I hear them throwing around the herb "cilantro"  and "lemon pepper seasoning".

I happen to LOVE oregano!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2009, 06:18:36 PM »
Bellamarie, I love oregano too.  Half a lifetime ago an Italian friend told me to put it inside fish when you bake it, and she was right.  I like cilantro, but a lot of people don't.  It's like those flavors that some people can taste and some can't--cilantro tastes like soap to some.  The one that I can taste is something in artificial sweeteners.  They all have a funny unpleasant taste to me.  Fortunately, you can live your life without them.

nlhome

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
cilantro is one herb that seems to be "in" right now. by 20-somethings use that a lot.
Other "in" herbs are variations of basil.

I have found that fresh oregano is great. My son brought a variety of herbs for us to grow in our garden and our herb barrel last year. It was fun trying the different kinds in the fresh state. We dried some and froze some.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »
What a sharp group you are, such diligent researchers, and wow, do you know your food.   Bellamarie, congrats on finding the answer to the origins of the Jane Austen recipes in Kafka’s Soup

“Isn’t duff in an Aubrey?”  I am so impressed that someone would remember that.  And if you scroll down to the end of the Cooking with Jane Austen overview you’ll see a link to literary cookbooks and there will find PatH’s Lobscouse and Spotted Dog.  (I think I’ve found an easier recipe that Pat’s duff.)

Oh my, the journeys you are leading me on – I went looking for Cooking with Jane Austen and ended up at Amazon’s Cooking Community, which seems like kind of a Twitter for Foodies – what are you eating today?   Just so you know, tarragon is still alive and well, and has a place in a mustard caper sauce to put on wild salmon.

Tarragon, Mustard Caper Sauce

1 C. Mayonaise
1/4 c. Olive oil
1 tbs. Lemon juice
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1-2 Tbs. Capers

Use home made mayonnaise or whisk in some olive oil into commercially prepared mayonnaise to give it a better flavor.

Add lemon juice and sugar.
Whisk in capers and Dijon.
Chop tarragon and add to sauce.
Chill for at least one hour.

Cubfan, The Christmas Cookie Club sounds like a book I’d like to curl up with, and just now got on the library queue.  CBS has picked up rights to adapt it to film.  Below, a link to an interview with Ann Pearlman.
“According to Variety, Wendy Finerman (The Devil Wears Prada, Forrest Gump) is producing.”

Ann Pearlman

That whole idea brings back wonderful memories.  I  have the Betty Crocker Cookie Book, splattered, smudged and falling apart, given to me at a cookie swap in San Juan, PR.  Karen Foot, if you’re out there someplace, I’m still using the book you gave me in 1966.

Gumtree

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »
Glad Bellamarie finally got the a la Austen sorted out. It's always a challenge to find something that doesn't exist.  :D

As for what's the latest 'in' herb.  Here in my neck of the woods it's the same as for you - coriander aka Chinese parsley aka cilantro. I don't use it much myself but oregano, rosemary and chives are must-haves in my kitchen. So are mustard and garlic - but I NEVER use chilli.

bellamarie

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »
pedln, What exciting news to hear about The Christmas Cookie Club becoming a movie.  Thank you for the link to the interview.  I hope to purchase the book this week end.  Although, while at Amazon I did get a bit tempted to buy a couple of Debbie Macomber's Christmas books and her Cedar Cove cookbook.

Gumtree,   ;D  Since I am a newbie to Jane Austen, I would never have imagined those passages were not from one of her books.  I have only read Sense and Sensibility, and I must say, Crick did a great job writing in her style.  A challenge indeed, but us Senior Learn members were up to it I might say. 

Gumtree

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »
If we're talking books and food - here's a piece from Roman times written by Petronius the Arbiter in the 1st century AD -

From  Satyricon - Dinner with Trimalchio:

'Well" said Trimalchio, "what did you have for dinner?"
"I will tell you if I can - I've such a good memory that I often forget my own name. For the first course we had a pig crowned with sausages and served with blood puddings and very nicely done giblets, and of course beetroot and pure wholemeal bread - which I prefer to white myself. The next course was cold tart and a concoction of first-class Spanish wine poured over hot honey. I didn't eat anything at all of the actual tart, but I dived right into the honey. Scattered round were chickpeas, lupines, a choice of nuts and an apple apiece - though I took two, because if I don't take something in the way of a present to my youngster, I'll have a row on my hands.

"Oh yes, my good lady reminds me. We had a hunk of bear-meat set before us. I ate more than a pound of it, as it tasted like real wild-boar. And I say if bears can eat us poor people, it's all the more reason why us poor people should eat bears.

"To finish up with, we had some cheese basted with new wine, snails all round, chitterlings, plates of liver, eggs in pastry hoods, turnips, mustard and some filthy concoction - good riddance to that. There were pickled cumin seeds too, passed round in a bowl and some people were that bad-mannered they took three handfuls. You see, we sent the ham away."

It fairly makes one's mouth water - specially the bear-meat. 

Bon appetit.

CubFan

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2009, 11:45:21 PM »
Greetings,

I gave in to temptation and read The Christmas Cookie Club last night and today.  It was very well written and enjoyable.  Each chapter has three sections - a cookie recipe, story about the character, and information about an ingredient used in cookies. 

Pedlin - thanks for the link.  I thought the interview was interesting and it looks like additional related books are coming. 

I found this book only because I was looking to see if our university educational materials center had a copy of the old title - The Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitcher.  The Cookie Club title distracted me and the rest is history.

Now back to what I was supposed to be doing - needlework.

Mary

"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Babi

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »
I've often been curious as to what a 'boiled' pudding would taste like.
I sounds unpleasant, actually, but obviouly has been popular among the
English for a long time. Anybody know what kind a texture a boiled pudding has?

PAT, that would explain why I didn't like tarragon. I don't like licorice,
either. 

I grabbed "The Sugar Cookie Murders" by Fluke, and was amazed to find that the back 1/3 of the book is a cookbook! From appetizers to desserts. It even has one detachable recipe card..for chocolate truffles!..which of course I can't detach since it is a library book. The recipe looks easy, tho', and since I am a chocolate addict I'll doubtless copy it and make the truffles.

Since everybody else is commenting, the herbs use most often are
basil and rosemary.  Chicken loves rosemary.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
Gum:  I couldn't cook at all if it weren't for chili.  Between chilies and the oregano/basil combo for pasta, garlic, onion, sea salt and coarse ground pepper, the rest of my  herbs just sit in the cupboard.  Vanilla, chocolate and cinnamon go fast, so they never get old and stale. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »
hahaha, Jackie, you just reminded me of all the old tins and bottles of herbs and spices in my cupboard!  Somewhere I read years ago, that it is better to buy the small size containers of those spices you don't use often.  And so I did.  But still, they are years and years old.  Is there an expiration date on them?  I'm going to go check right now!

Sea salt - when did that come into vogue?  I'd say that's the "in" seasoning in my kitchen.  But why is it better? The granules are finer.  Is that it?  It must come from salt water?  Where does "other" salt come from?  salt mines.. :o  I fear my ignorance is showing.

Hey, it's snowing here!  Magical!  The first snow of the winter...

Gumtree

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
Mrs Sherlock: I used to love chilli but developed an allergy to it - also have a serious allergy to mangoes - can't even touch one let alone eat it.

Gumtree

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
Salt comes from salt mines. Like the salt mines of Siberia or Poland etc where they sent prisoners to work - the hardest punishment.
Western Australia produces almost all of Australia's salt. Our salt mines are generally dried lakes. Sea salt comes from evaporated seawater and is supposed to have more mineral content and is better for us but of course it is still salt.

JoanP enjoy your snow -today  it was 100 degrees F here!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »

It's still coming down - covering the grass and the rooftops.  Not the streets and sidewalks though.  It's been too warm for them to cool down.

Thanks for this salt information, Gum!  More minerals in the sea salt, huh?  I'm wondering if it's bad for the health when swimming in salt water...if you take it in when a wave wipes you out?
Most of the spice tins on the shelf have numbers that are so worn off they are illegible.  Those I can read are mysterious - like on this nutmeg container is stamed - "44570H"!
Gum, is it an adult-onset allergy  - or have you always had it?  My oldest son developed an allergy to peanuts recently.  He's 40.  Several years ago I noticed an allergy to avocados - took the fun out of Mexican restaurants.  Have to be very careful.  Each time I come into contact with guacamole , the reaction is more severe.

bellamarie

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2009, 11:34:14 AM »
Gumtree,   "It fairly makes one's mouth water - specially the bear-meat." 

Well this modernized, American/Italian thinks the entire menu he describes sounds GHASTLY!  Yuck, first off I hate any type of red meat, then to imagine blood pudding, I shiver to think it on my table.  Oh how the English find such joy in meals such as this. 

Give me pasta with marinara sauce, bruschetta bread and top the meal off with a tiramisu or cannoli, and nice cappuncinno and I am a happy woman!  My hubby and I go to a fine Italian restraunt named Ciao’ every year for our birthday because it gives the birthday person an entire meal with dessert FREE!

Got lost searching for recipes this morning and found these wonderful sites.  

Cannoli (Recipe)
Ingredients
For the filling
1 1/2 cups cold water
3 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
15 ounces ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon superfine sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon or small drop of oil of cinnamon
2 ounces candied citron
2 ounces candied orange peel
2 oz mini semi sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon rose water click on the link in the marketplace to find rose water if you are having a hard time finding it in your Italian specialty market.
The cannoli pastry shell
12 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour
three extra-large eggs
or tablespoons sweet butter
about 1/2 cup marsala wine or if you prefer red wine vinegar
greased Cannoli shell molds
Also for later
about 1 quart vegetable oil
4 tablespoons sweet butter
about 1/3 cup confectioners sugar for on top of the Cannoli
Chopped toasted pistachios for the edges
Halved Maraschino Cherries for the ends

You must check out these sites for Italian recipes.  Bellisimo!

http://www.cook-italian.com/weblog/2009/08/cannoli-recipe.html

http://www.aromiditalia.com/Products/creamflavors.htm?gclid=CJPuua3Qv54CFQoeDQodr3XFqQ

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/page30.html

Gumtree

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2009, 11:40:34 AM »
JoanP: I've had mild allergies to various things for many years - looking back I'm sure some were evident during childhood.  The mango and chilli came on gradually about 10 years ago - just a mild itchiness at first but then suddenly one year it was a full blown severe acute reaction - horrible - took a while to subside. After it was all over the Dr. said I was lucky to survive the mango episode. Needless to say I'm very careful these days.

I'm wary of avocados too though peanuts are OK with me. Seems to be no rhyme or reason but  I'd keep your son away from any nut products.

marjifay

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
Speaking of allergies...  I recently developed an allergy to anything containing wheat!  That sure limits my food.. bread, cookies, cakes, pasta....  oh well, I'm losing a few unneeded pounds.  (Luckily, I can eat rice noodles with no problem -- there is a yummay family-owned Philippino restaurant not too far from me -- love their food.)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
My daughter in Portland lives near a very high-end grocery store.  Once we were there together, she said "look around, then look away quickly".  I did.  "What were you looking at?"  I had no idea.  It was a whole 2 shelves of bottles containing material of different colors--white, pink, grey, black, and others.  It was SALT!  From all sorts of fancy places, gathered in all sorts of ways, and, of course at very fancy prices.  Pink Mongolian salt, anyone?