Author Topic: The Library  (Read 197632 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: The Library
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2009, 11:57:12 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in from the cold and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

This is a wonderful site with interviews with various current authors - including an interview with Wally Lamb -  you have to scroll and see all the pictured links along the side of the web page

http://fora.tv/channel/Books_Authors
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »
Joseph Wambaugh is writing again after a long hiatus. I have read two of his in the past year or so.. They are just as good as his original stuff was. Same sort of humor and grimness at the same time. Worth looking for.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
STEPH, I love McCaffrey's dragons, too.  No one else has managed to capture that 'bond' between dragon and rider, much less move me to tears over it.

Staz & Janice, "The Faith Club" sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it; I'll have to see if my library has it.

MABEL, I like that quote.  I'll have to look up Barbara Bretton, too.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
I've borrowed a Kindle to play with until Monday.  I'm sure I'll have fun exploring it.  I just get "the Look" from John.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: February 05, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »
Oh good Mary,  tell us about it, and your discovery of same, I know nothing of Kindles and IPods,  I know a lot of us have them, am somewhat technologically challenged,  but am interested in hearing from others about their adventures with same.

LARRY! PEARSON! JEAN!  Honestly, when I saw your reactions to Springesteen,  I took a poll in my face to face Latin classes, and they LOVED the half time show. hahaa I guess you're either a fan or you're not. I wonder what people are saying about it in general? I did think perhaps the fireworks were not as they have been, but I wasn't there to experience it in person. Loved the choir and the little lights.

I hated the commercial that won best commercial or whatever, the two brothers and the vandalism of the snack machine? Hello? One small backward step for man...er..

W was not sitting on the back porch, hop up out of those porch chairs,  he was splitting wood behind the barn.

I'm hearing that in this recession (depression?) that the library IS the place to be but unfortunately they are cutting funding, what a time to cut funding when people are flocking TO the libraries!

What are you reading??

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »
ginny, I think I like the Kindle.   It's very comfortable for me hold - in a way that I can no longer hold a book.  It connects to Amazon via their ethernet system, so downloading a book is quite fast.  I got a sample of a David Baldacci book, and it was there immediately.  My lender couldn't find her instruction manual, so I'm groping a little bit as to what I can do.  I think it'd be great for traveling - not having to carry the weight of several books (which you KNOW we all do.  ::) ).
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #406 on: February 05, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »
Hi MaryZ,

Isnit it amazing that a book can be downloade so quickly.  Check and see if the instruction manuel is on the Kindle...that is where mine is.. They did not send a hard copy of it but it can be printed out.  In my usual way I did not read it ...but just started using the Kindle.  I have not printed it out as I should have done but just go looking for it on the Kindle when I have a problem.  I called Amazon one time because I could not do anything with it and they were very nice and helpful.

I am reading  the current Bookclub on line selection on it and will soon start my f2f bookclubs selection on the Kindle also.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #407 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks, Joan.  I'm going to start doing more exploring this morning.

Steph

« Reply #408 on: February 05, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »
The kindle sounds interesting. But oh me, I would hate to give up the feel of a book.
Eventually I will try Eragon.. It took me forever to try Charlaine Harris and her vampires and now I adore them.

joyous

« Reply #409 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »

Ginny: I win the prize for the most technilogically challenged :-[
At present I just wanted to read something that did not "tax" my brain  ::)-------just light and entertaining, so have started Grisham's -The Appeal.  All of his books have a long wait-list at
the library, so managed to borrow it from my grandson.   Grisham is a Southern writer -
Mississippi- and is very popular here (Louisiana), hence the LONG wait at the library here.
Anyone in here a fan of his books????
JOY

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Joy, I read all of Grisham's books.  IMHO, he writes a "very good read" - as you say, not particularly challenging.  But then, I read for pleasure. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »
I hope that all you who are trying Stephanie Meyer and "Eragon" will tell us about them in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy discussion when you've read them. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
Janice, did you solve your Seniors and Friends problem?  If not, email me (you can just click on the little letter icon under my name) and I'll see if I can help.

Steph

« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2009, 07:48:18 AM »
I am ambivilant about Grisham.. His women are simply never believable.. But he feels strongly about legal issues. I have the newest in my book pile, because my husband adores legal books and reads all of those authors. When he finishes he puts them in my stack, so I can try them.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
MaryZ, I just read somewhere that Kindle has come out with Kindle II.  Does anyone know what the differences, if there are any, are?

Joy, I've like all the Grishams I've read -- the last one was The Appeal, and I couldn't put it down.  Yesterday, someone in my f2f group raved about his latest, The Associates.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #415 on: February 06, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
pedln, I just looked on Amazon.com and they do mention a Kindle 2.0, but I can't tell any differences.  They don't really mention it.  I did check on some book prices (on Amazon).  I looked at the new Jon Meacham book about Andrew Jackson.  Their prices ranged from about $15.00 (used, ?trade paperback) up, with audiobooks being just over $20.00.  The kindle price was $9.99.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #416 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
I just stopped by Amazon for something, and see that Matthew Pearl has a new novel out, or coming out in March -- The Last Dickens.  I really liked The Dante Club very much, but was disappointed in his second one, The Poe Shadow.  Seniornet discussed both of them, and Pearl participated in the Dante Club discussion.

ALF43

« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
Has anyone thought about the new Wally Lamb novel?  Will we be proposing that one.  I love the Dante Club as well Pedln, but thumbs down on the Poe.  I agree!
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2009, 10:23:42 AM »
Hmm.  Whoever reads Matthew Pearl's new book, "The Last Dickens", please let us know whether this one is a 'thumbs-up' or a 'thumbs-down'.  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
I have the new Wally Lamb on a mental list to look at.. I have a new book that purports to be about Dickens, only fiction..Who knows.

catbrown

« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
The book about Dickens ... do you mean the new Dan Simmons book, "Drood" ? It's in my to-read pile.

Dan Simmons has written some absolutely brilliant sci-fi and some not-quite-so-brilliant horror. Most of his work that I've read has some literary and historical angle. For example, Keats was a major character in his greatest sci-fi series and his most recent sci-fi series was centered on the Illiad and the Odyssey. I think that "Drood" probably falls into his horror genre, which I'm generally not that enthusiastic about, but the combo of Dickens and Dan Simmons has me mighty interested.

Steph

« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
No, The Dickens I have is a fiction about a writer and his wife and her sister and their life.. Which describes Dickens to a T.. but never mentions his name. I read the reviews and think I will like it, but it has to wait in line. Between  the Guernsey one for here and my Christmas books.. I am knee deep as always.. and now I have fallen in love with Brother Cadfael and need to be on the search for him.

Babi

« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
CATBROWN, as a Sci/Fi fan, thanks for the name of Dan Simmons. I'm always on the lookout for really good Sci/Fi writers.

catbrown

« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
You're welcome Babi. I suggest starting with "Hyperion." It's a Hugo winner, the beginning of a series and IMHO one of the best sci-fi novels ever.

And, Steph, what's the name/ author of the  "Dickens" novel?

Cathy

EvelynMC

« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »
Alf: You asked about the new Wally Lamb book, the title escapes me right now. --- I listened to it on audio cd.  It is 25 hours on 20 cd's and I listened to around 8 or 9 and then just returned it to the library.

The story is very riveting, but I became really, really depressed listening to it and just couldn't handle anymore of the post traumatic stress syndrome these victims went through and the effect on their families.

I think I posted that here before, but this is just my opinion and someone else might have a different take on it.

Evelyn

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2009, 05:47:09 PM »
If I may help, the title of Wally Lamb's latest book is The Hour I First Believed.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
I am with  you Evelyn -  not only the issues they were dealing with but the choices they made in their lives I just could not embrace them as characters but sort of kept them at a distance -  why I cannot tell since I have embraced some real villains in many a story - or at least wanted to know what came next.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

EvelynMC

« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
I am with  you Evelyn -  not only the issues they were dealing with but the choices they made in their lives I just could not embrace them as characters but sort of kept them at a distance -  why I cannot tell since I have embraced some real villains in many a story - or at least wanted to know what came next.

I agree, I just didn't care what happened to them.  And I wanted the audio book out of the house and back to the library.  Very strange reaction for me.

Evelyn

Steph

« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2009, 07:46:32 AM »
Girl in a blue dress is the name of the book.. about Dickens.. but as to the author.. The book is downstairs in my read it basket.. Will try and look it up sometime today.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »
I had not heard about Matthew Pearl's latest novel,  The Last Dickens - Matthew has been a great friend of ours in the past, actively participating in our book discussions of his first two books.  I'm sure he would participate here if we were to invite him.

His modus operandi  - he researches famous authors, (he majored in literature at Harvard, taught at Harvard, graduated from Yale Law School) and then writes his fiction based on his research.   The Last Dickens is based on Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  We read and discussed Dante's Inferno, while we read Matthew's THE DANTE CLUB....he participated in both of these discussions, some of you may remember that.  We could do the same with Edwin Drood and The Last Dickens if there is interest...

ALF43

« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
Joan!   Hello, there you are.  :o
 I would love to discuss another Pearle novel.  I loved the idea that we were able to coincide both Dante's Inferno along with the Dante Club story.

I have had my laugh of the day.  Thank you Evelyn and Barb for your "take" on Mr. Lamb's new book.  I ordered it a couple of months ago and haven't gone near it since.  It just sits there. If it is that depressing I think I will hold off for another month of so but I do SO love that man, I had to buy his book.  I'm going to play devil's advocate when I read it, remembering what you ladies have warned. 

haaaaaaaaaaa Barb can't understand WHY she didn't like the story as she "has embraced many villians."  That is a riot! ;D

Traude, how are you?  It is just so good to be back in and able to greet you all.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #431 on: February 09, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »
Just got this in my Wall STreet Journal email alerts.  Have not yet read the article.

Amazon.com will announcing a new version of its Kindle e-book reader on Monday. And, in a sign that the electronic book is gaining clout in the publishing world, Amazon is also expected to say it has acquired a new work by best-selling novelist Stephen King that will be available exclusively, at least for a time, on Kindle.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
catbrown, thanks for that interesting information about Dan Simmons. I love science fiction and haven't read any of his work. It sounds like he writes in several genres.

It would be great to read Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens and the Mystery of Edwin Drood together. I have a recording of the Broadway musical by Rupert Holmes, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, with Cleo Laine.

Steph

« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »
Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold.. longlisted for The Man Booker Prize 2008. Love the descriptions and it is on the short list to be read soon.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just received an announcement from Amazon about the Kindle 2.  Thye would be giving me a priority place in line for a new one since I already own one.  Since I have not used mine much I think I will stick with it for awhile....just not ready to spend that much money another one at this time.   I wonder if they will sell an original one at a lower price now.

Joan G

Tomereader1

« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
What price is the new one, Joan?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

catbrown

« Reply #436 on: February 09, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
I had not heard about Matthew Pearl's latest novel,  The Last Dickens - Matthew has been a great friend of ours in the past, actively participating in our book discussions of his first two books.  I'm sure he would participate here if we were to invite him.

His modus operandi  - he researches famous authors, (he majored in literature at Harvard, taught at Harvard, graduated from Yale Law School) and then writes his fiction based on his research.   The Last Dickens is based on Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  We read and discussed Dante's Inferno, while we read Matthew's THE DANTE CLUB....he participated in both of these discussions, some of you may remember that.  We could do the same with Edwin Drood and The Last Dickens if there is interest...

Hmmm, and maybe include Dan Simmons' latest novel, "Drood"? ... although I don't yet know if it's any good. When I finish "The Line of Beauty" (which I'm not finding exactly compelling), I'll read it and report.

Thanks, Steph, for the name/ author research. I'll check that out on Amazon. Sounds promising!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #437 on: February 09, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
haaaaaaaaaaa Barb can't understand WHY she didn't like the story as she "has embraced many villians."  That is a riot!
  :D In more ways than  you can imagine...  ;)

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #438 on: February 09, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »
What price is the new one, Joan?
The price of the new one is $359.

Joan G

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2009, 04:46:17 PM »
I'll probably be ordering a Kindle, but from what I read, it sounds like there's a waiting list.