Author Topic: Classics Book Club, The  (Read 480875 times)

roshanarose

Re: The Classics Book Club
« Reply #1520 on: May 24, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Now reading:

May 20-----Book  XIV:  Eumaeus the Loyal Swineherd  

Odysseus and Eumaios
17th century etching
Theodor van Thulden (1606 - 1669)
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco

Discussion Leaders:  Joan K & ginny 

Useful Links:

1. Critical Analysis: Free SparkNotes background and analysis  on the Odyssey
2. Translations Used in This Discussion So Far:
3. Initial Points to Watch For: submitted by JudeS
4. Maps:
Map of the  Voyages of Odysseus
Map of Voyages in order
Map of Stops Numbered
Our Map Showing Place Names in the Odyssey

Odysseus conversing with Eumaios
Engraving and etching on paper
John Flaxman
Tate Gallery

kidsal - what a horrifying account.  My youngest grandson showed me his new watch.  All the number points are luminous.  He said "Just like an old-fashioned watch".  I recoiled just a little because I had heard a bit about those workers.  I hope he is safe.

Come to think of it, if I recall correctly, and I don't always, I had seen an episode on an early X Files" using that factory as a story line.  Also one episode was about Mad Cow Disease at least two years before it hit the headlines.  
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #1521 on: May 25, 2011, 02:59:52 AM »
http://www.damninteresting.com/undark-and-the-radium-girls

There is also a book on Amazon called the Radium girls which tells the story and the legal suits when these girls contracted cancer.

Mippy

« Reply #1522 on: May 25, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »
Sally/Kidsal ~  Thanks for the interesting material on radium used in watches.   Years ago I read about that in a bio. of Marie Curie, one of the most outstanding women scientists of her era.  It's amazing how many scientists work with dangerous materials!
Aside:
Back in the early 2000 decade when I worked at NIH (the National Institutes of Health near D.C.)  we used to detect odd odors from time to time, and would say:  there goes Gallo (famous in the discovery of the cause of AIDs)   flushing HIV viruses down the drain again.
Of course it wasn't true, but they did run experiments in fume hoods and the air was poured out somewhere on the NIH campus ... so we pretended it was dangerous to inhale.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1523 on: May 25, 2011, 08:22:13 AM »
Oh mercy, isn't that awful? Thank you  Sally and for the reference too. That's actually more horrible than any horror  movie, isn't it?  To this day anything that glows in the dark is something I don't want any part of, isn't that crazy? But true. And I'm not sure WHAT makes some of these toys etc., glow in the dark, but I don't want them around me.

But today we move to  Chapter 15 and what a chapter it is!

First of all we learn that Eurymachus is the chosen one to marry Penelope,  and that Penelope's "father and her brothers" are pressuring her to marry him because he's "giving the best presents," and "has stepped up his wooing." (Lombardo).

I didn't realize her father or brothers had shown any interest.

More anti women thoughts follow immediately!

What's this? Athene has gone to get T and instead of telling him that O has returned she:

(1) disses Penelope? Says "You have to watch out/ She doesn't carry off all your treasure."

Huh?

YOUR treasure? Since when?

THIS is the only way she can get him to come home?

What did you think of that?

This is his mother she's talking about, right?

I don't get that. I never liked Athene anyway.

Then somewhere around line 74 Lombardo has "Due measure in all things."

I am interested to know what your translation says here? Is it the golden mean in your texts?

And now we have Helen herself, what's her role here? She's brought a robe for his bride to be when he gets one.

We have an eagle sighting carrying off a goose and Helen steps in again while Menelaus is thinking what this might mean, and prophesies O is either returned or will return soon.

So it's more clear here than ever that Helen is not a woman to sit back and have the men do all the talking or get the glory, she's decisive,  and to me that is even more indicative of her own role in the  Trojan War: she DID in fact, go off willingly just as she said in the Iliad, and left her child behind. I am not sure why Menelaus wants her. I can see fighting over her going to Troy for his sake, and they did swear to all stand together, but hey!

And then here's Peisistratus, Menelaus' own son saying  he won't let you go empty handed, so get on board quickly.  "Once he has you in his house he won't let you go,/ And he'll come here to get you himself/ If he has to, and he won't go home empty- handed."

Now that, to me does not make any sense, we've said good bye, we've had our gifts, we've said it's wrong to keep a guest, what's THIS? Can't these characters do anything for the right reason instead of dissing others?

How many more gifts does he need?

And finally who or what is this traveler, Theoclymenus, and why this long LONG story with a million proper names in it about him? Is it a little late in the game to be taking on even more hangers on?

The best part of 15 for me was O asking Eumaeus about what happened to O's father and mother and Eumaeus revealing his background. Who knew?  Poor little kidnapped mite, "She took me by the hand and led me outside..."

Apparently he resents somewhat that he can't speak to his mistress face to face, tho, did you catch that? Why not?

And again at the end when this Theoclynmenus asks when they get to Ithaca, where shall I go now? And as T answers him, behold  another bird omen. On the right.  This one's a hawk with a dove. For some reason this reminds me of the old Andy Griffith show where Barney tried to use mountain lore to stop a wedding and the horse kept going the wrong way. hahaha

Birds flying to the right or left really figure in old myths, thinking now of Romulus and Remus...would it be useful to talk about this type of foretelling the future?

I've got a great story about it too! :)

In short, Telemachus is striding toward the farmstead where his father and the loyal swineherd are living. What EXCITEMENT!

What a cliff hanger!

Let's try 16 for Monday the action is picking up, let's do, too,  but for now what do you think about any of this?

Here are in addition some great questions for 15 from the Odyssey discussion page mentioned above:

Book 15

45. What is Telemachus' main diplomatic challenge in this book? How does Athena help him meet the challenge?

46. What role does Helen play in this book? What does the prophecy she makes reveal about her? Why might it be significant, in terms of the Odyssey as a whole, that Helen, whose misbehavior towards her husband set in motion the Trojan War, gives Telemachus a robe to bestow upon his future bride?

47. Who is Theoclymenus, and why is it appropriate that Telemachus should treat him kindly?

48. What is Eumaeus' own story, as he recounts it to Odysseus? Does the story indicate why Eumaeus is especially loyal to Odysseus? If so, what's the reason?

OR what questions do YOU have and what struck you here the most?

I'd offer a gold robe for your thoughts but if I made one you wouldn't put it for the cat to lie down on. hahahaa

Is there something wrong with me? After all this loyalty stuff here is Athene to get her way being disloyal to Penelope (Penelope really has no supporters, does she? Except O?) and Peisistratus being disloyal (is that how you see it?) to his father.

Women in this section don't come off very well, and that includes Athene, or is it me?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Babi

« Reply #1524 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »
 Oh, dear, I was talking about Ch. 14.   We got off onto so many side topics that I thought we
never did get back to that chapter.  It was quite long, and we barely got past discussing the
meeting with the swineherd. 
  Anyone interested in O's mention of 'dogskin helmet' in Ch. 14.  My immediate reaction was,
 "Ugh!".  I suppose that was silly; obviously animal hides were used for many things.  Now, tho',
we tend to think of dogs as pets or valued work animals.  I was curious, of course. (No, really?)

The Greek word for "helmet" (kune) means "dog's hair," "dog's hide," or "dog's skin." "Hades'
 helmet" was thus a dog-skin cap. And from "Noah Webster-Antiquities": Galea (kranos, poet.
 korus, pêlêx). A helmet, casque. The helmet was originally made of skin or leather, whence is
 supposed to have arisen its appellation, kuneê meaning properly a helmet of dogskin, but
 applied to caps or helmets made of the hide of other animals, not necessarily worn as armour."
   --" The helmet, especially that of skin or leather, was sometimes a mere cap conformed to
 the shape of the head, without either crest or any other ornament. In this state it was
 probably used in hunting.."

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1525 on: May 25, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
Great point!  I thought we did 14 pretty well and asked several times if anybody had anything else to add. Let's continue talking about 14 and 15 then as long as we'd like. Will that be good? We're in no hurry, I think you had mentioned it was 15 you were referencing.

We have plenty of time to discuss 14 more, what strikes you all that we have not talked about?

What line is the "dogskin helmet" on, Babi?  A quick glance back through my book and notes really doesn't show  anything on it, or I'm looking in the wrong place, so that's quite interesting.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #1526 on: May 25, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
I enjoyed several things about chapter 15.....the evocative description of the setting off home of Telemachus and his buddy, ....(sorry, I'm in Arizona without my book for a day or two, can't remember his name)......Telemachus being nice to the stranger, made me like him (more that I can say so far for his dad)....T.'s polite way of ensuring that they don't waste time with Nestor....Helen once again showing her power....she's not just the FACE that launched 1000 ships, she's a real femme fatale and I can only admire the way she is portrayed.  She is just so able to step right in and take over...Menelaus isn't too swift tho, she can certainly run rings round him.......

Babi

« Reply #1527 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
 GINNY, O' speaks of wrenching off his dogskin helmet before surrendering to
the King of Crete. That was about line 276 in my translation.
  I can see, since most of this story is a total lie, that it doesn't offer
as much for discussion. I did find some bits intriguing, tho', as they
said something about Greek lore and mythology. Like the 'speaking oak'oracle
of Dodona.  I found this article interesting.
 http://gogreece.about.com/od/westerngreece/a/dodona.htm 
 The ‘spelling leaves’ are explained in the paragraph “Divining at Dodona”.

So, on to Ch. 15. We return to Telemachos,  and find Athena whispering
instruction to him in his sleep.  You must admit she is very thorough and
explicit. Tells him exactly what to do.  She does make one statement I take
exception to. Speaking of a woman when she remarries, she says,  “ “As to her girlhood husband, her first children, he is forgotten, being dead - and they no longer worry her.”   
  I am astounded.  Who thinks like that?   It that a typical male attitude for
those times?  I would think any man who had been a husband and father...or even reasonably observant....would know better. What do some of your translations say?   This one is about line 25-29 in my translation.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

kidsal

« Reply #1528 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
In Pope:  Thou know'st the practice of the female train:  Lost in the children of the present spouse, they slight the pledges of their former vows; their love is always the lover past; still the succeeding flame expels the last.
Suppose inheritance comes into play here.  If former husband dead would their children inherit from him.  If not dead and she brings the former children with her into new marriage what would be the result -- inherit from biological father but nothing from stepfather?  Of course if we are discussing love, how could she just forget her children???

Gumtree

« Reply #1529 on: May 26, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »
Cook says: Lines 19-23

Let her bear no goods from your home against your will.
You know what sort of a heart there is in a woman's breast.
She wishes to increase the house of the man she weds;
She no longer remembers or inquires of her former
Children or of her dear wedded husband who is dead.

So perhaps there is the question of some sort of dowry? that Athene is warning him against providing Penelope with. - but to suggest she would no longer think of her children or former husband in ridiculous. Maybe it's meant that after remarriage a woman would not be likely to mention her previous family or ask after their welfare whilst she was living in her new husband's house.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Frybabe

« Reply #1530 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
The information about the oracle at Dodona is interesting BABI. I looked it up on the map and found that the sit is not as close to the sea as I would have expected. I also followed the link to the Dodona site itself. According to the article archaeologists have only been able to find back to the 4th century BC. However, Homer is estimated to have lived as far back as 850BC. Strabo, Herodotus and Plato also mention the Oracle of Dadona. Strabo apparently thought of the site as ancient and Plato said this about the site:

"They used to say, my friend, that the words of the oak in the holy place of Zeus at Dodona were the first prophetic utterances." - Phaedrus

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1531 on: May 26, 2011, 12:48:49 PM »
Babi, that's a great point on the Oracle of Dodona! The oracles/ foreshadowing/ auspices  here are  getting pretty overwhelming when you think about it, and I missed that one, reading too fast. Great research also Frybabe! And in 15 we have two more. The eagle flying on the right or the left seems important somehow. A different type of "sign" which required interpretation. And Menelaus was thinking about it when Helen spoke up.

Dana, ...Helen once again showing her power....she's not just the FACE that launched 1000 ships, she's a real femme fatale and I can only admire the way she is portrayed.  She is just so able to step right in and take over...Menelaus isn't too swift tho, she can certainly run rings round him.......

Yes and in this she does show she is capable of making decisions which MAY be the reason for some of the negative remarks about her one encounters. Also that's  kind of interesting to me in conjunction with Gum's post:

So perhaps there is the question of some sort of dowry? that Athene is warning him against providing Penelope with. - but to suggest she would no longer think of her children or former husband in ridiculous. Maybe it's meant that after remarriage a woman would not be likely to mention her previous family or ask after their welfare whilst she was living in her new husband's house.

Unfortunately I bet we all know modern and very sad stories of the same type of thing. It's amazing sometimes how history repeats itself, even without a dowry. (Well heck wasn't the new Downton Abbey about the same thing? Inheritance passing into other hands?)

And Babi (thank you for the helmet reference!~). You mentioned: They no longer worry her.”  
  I am astounded.  Who thinks like that?   It that a typical male attitude for those times?

Oh I hate to say this but it's not only for those times. How many instances of it in our times have we seen.

And in an strange reverse twist,  I just heard of a very sad story of a person I grew up with, who died tragically and too young in a automobile accident, and  the second wife  removed every single trace of the first wife, photos, everything from the house. One would have to assume with assent of the husband/ father,  and the first wife's  two small  children grew up literally not knowing a thing of their beautiful and wonderful  mother. But it had a fairy tale ending, thank goodness, when one of the girls, when she was  grown,  happened to encounter a former classmate of their mothers (the strange last name caught her attention). She was astounded to learn they knew nothing of their mother. She  took her own high school yearbook (in which her mother was prominently featured) and her own memories and made a copy for the girls and told them about their mother. I think she's a hero. But imagine the cruelty of such an act. I guess there are worse, but to deliberately eradicate a mother from her children's lives...staggering.

In that money or inheritance has no bearing but there are plenty of stories where it does.  Hard to believe, isn't it?

But it puzzles me,  this misogyny coming,  is it,  from Homer? I'm with Babi here, is this something they would all understand?  And it seems kind of odd that it comes after Helen asserts herself so dramatically, or Penelope has been shown to be most loyal. First the swineherd complains and now this. What exactly does Homer want us to get about women after this? I don't understand Athene here particularly.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1532 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »
Who is supposed to take care of the children from the first marraige, if their mother doesn't? Or is it assumed that they are grown and independent?

GINNY: your example is one where the FATHER cared nothing for his first wife. I can just see the second wife doing that, but not the father going along. terrible!

I love the idea of getting prophacies by listening to the leaves of oak trees. When I lived in Maryland, I used to go once a month to a retreat center in the middle of a woods (mainly oak trees). I would sit in silence, listening to the breeze in the trees, centering myself for my busy life. I would have loved to have known I was following a practice thousands of years old.

I know what the author of the article means about the atmosphere of the Oracle of Dodona. My retreat center had the same atmosphere.

roshanarose

« Reply #1533 on: May 27, 2011, 01:33:15 AM »
Sneaking in one of my colour questions (evil grin).

This one is relevant to Homer and he uses it constantly as part of an adjective.

The words I list below include the Ancient Greek word for pink (rosy). and the Modern Greek word for pink which is probably a loan-word.  Which is which?  NB They are different:

Pecho
pinko
rubis
rodo
roz

Babi - Lovely story about Dodona.  Very Druidic.  I know I have mentioned this before, but the word "Druid" comes from the Greek for Oak Tree.

The war helmets the Mycenaeans wore were a a close fitting cap, most likely made of some kind of animal skin, and covered with boars' teeth.  There are pix from the Bronze Age showing these and a search would probably reveal one, and a copy of one appears in the Museum of Iraklion near Knossos.  Not nearly as glamorous as the metal helmets of later years with nose and cheek guards and horse hair plumes.  Also in many pix of Odysseus he can be seen wearing a close fitting cap with a kind of point at the back.  

I did a quick search for some sites of bronze age armour.  Quite fascinating.  Have a peek.  The soldiers were just starting to wear helmets similar to the late Athenian helmets.  They also wore linen greaves and the armour had to be light.

www.salimbeti.com/micenei/helmets2.htm

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #1534 on: May 27, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
What a fascinating website, Roshannarose. I've bookmarked it so I can read more later, but I did cruise the helmets, the ships and Troy. I thought the peel away view of a boar tusk helmet particularly interesting where it shows the layering which would have added strength to the helmet.

In the ship section, I noted that there is a clay tablet that "most likely" shows a scene from the Odyssey. I wonder if a fear of meeting up with monsters while on a sea journey was a common superstition that Homer picked up on that is depicted rather than a scene depiction of the Odyssey itself.

Babi

« Reply #1535 on: May 27, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
 I can imagine a new wife getting rid of every reminder of the former wife.
But I cannot imagine a mother (I know, there are exceptions) being no longer concerned about her children by a previous marriage. We are 'concerned'
about our children, now matter how old they are. I still think, from time to
time, of the two sons who died shortly after birth. I never got to know them,
but I still feel a bond with them.

Maybe Athene, as a goddess, is more pragmatic about the whole thing and
doesn't really understand  human bonding. But Athene here is an actress
on Homer's stage, and it's Homer's attitude that really puzzles me.

I was surprised to find such a variety of helmets, ROSHANA. The boar tusk
helmets seem to have been especially popular and widespread.  I would guess
the leather helmets come closest to the 'dogskin' helmet in Homer's text.

Mippy

« Reply #1536 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
Hi, all ~  I'm way behind in the reading, but have the weekend to try to catch up.   It's difficult to baby-sit, rather infant-sit and to read a serious work at the same time.  

Roshanarose ~  What a difficult quiz! 
Ancient Greek word for rosy or pink, as the rosy dawn, as mentioned over and over, so it's an important color.
I only suspect it's not  rubis, from the Latin rubeus, red, as well as the medieval Latin rubinus.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Dana

« Reply #1537 on: May 27, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
well the ancient Greek for "rosy fingered" as in dawn is rododaktylos, so rodo must be rosy as in rododendron I would think--red tree, and ofcourse dactylos as in dactyl.

I still don't have my book but perhaps Athena was just employing psychology and trying to make sure Telemachos got a swift move on and started for home, by raising the possiblity that Penelope might be forced to make a choice, finally (after all, 20 years is a long time to wait expectantly).
 And forget all about him.

But I was a bit annoyed at Athena because I thought she had rather unfairly changed her tune from encouraging Telemachos to leave in search of news of his father, and now almost chiding him that he wasn't getting home fast enough......

roshanarose

« Reply #1538 on: May 27, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
Dana and Mippy - Well done.  Rodo is the Ancient Greek word for pink/rose coloured, as in Ancient (Homeric) Greek rosy-fingered is ροδοδάκτυλος as Dana says.  In Modern Greek it is ροζ.  Nice and easy and most likely a loan word from English.  The Greek Island of Ροδός celebrates the Rose and that symbol appears frequently there.  Trivia for Rhodes is that is was
i) the main base of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem during the Crusades; and ii) the Nazis HQ during WWII.  A fascinating island, with beautiful architecture.  

I had a look at a few sites but the following link had the most useful info imho, no conversion intended.

www.seekgod.ca/legacy.htm

The following link is easier to negotiate with no politics or mysticism implied.  Just a short history of the Knights.

www.greeka.com/dodecanese/rhodes/rhodes-history/rhodes-knights.htm

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1539 on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »
The helmit site is fascinating. I think I mentioned looking at a fragment of a Greek shield at the Hurst castle that reminded me of the description of Achilles shield in the Iliad: closely carvedwith all kinds of scenes. Have any of you ever been to the Hurst castle near Los Angeles? A large collection of greek and Roman statues and artifacts. If any of you are ever out here, I'll go with you.

I'm curious about a phrase Lombardo uses in his translation:

".. And Helen, LOVELY IN HER BONES

Came up with the robe.." (line 133)

I love that phrase, although I'm not exactly sure what it means. What do the other translations have?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1540 on: May 28, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
In this chapter, we have a little bit of Greek life from a slave's point of view. It's interesting that our noble swineherd is not a mere commoner, but was a Noble in his own right before being captured. There's little of the democrat about Homer.

What elaborate stories. In order to introduce a very minor character (or so I assume) Theoclymenus, we have to hear about his family going back generations (lines 244-282). I found this a bit much. didn't you.

JudeS

« Reply #1541 on: May 28, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
Joan K
I have been to the Herst Castle four times and was wowed each time by a plethora of artifacts. Each time visited a different part of the site. Still haven't seen it all.
However, as far as helmets go, it was not only the Greeks who cared much about their helmets.  In an exhibition devoted to the Ancient Samurai  at the Asian Museum in San Francisco there were unbelievable helmets .  Each one was personally designed by it's owner to show off some aspect of his prowess . The aesthetic aspect was a major consideratio as well.
Each one was a work of art.
When a people has a creative spirit it follows through not only in their sculpture ,pottery and art but in other important aspects of their lives. Both   the Greeks and the Japanese are examples of this type of esthetic.

kidsal

« Reply #1542 on: May 29, 2011, 05:34:28 AM »
I keep thinking I am missing something.  Isn't the swineherd's story of his life the same as that told by Odysseus about his life in the previous chapter????

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1543 on: May 29, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
Dana, yeah I find myself intensely annoyed by Athene, it's almost like she's playing a game. I am not familiar enough with the Greek attitude towards gods but it would seem to me that this capriciousness would make for a VERY cautious worshiper, it so reminds me of what Pearl Buck wrote in her Good Earth series. It would tend to make one VERY superstitious. So I agree, Frybabe, with your interpretation.

In that context you can easily see reliance on omens. And that they did a lot.  

The position of the birds in the sky as we have seen, in two bird flying auguries here in Chapter 15 is likewise important.  Hexter says the "right side is lucky for omens."

The OCCL says the augur would observe the part of the sky to be interpreted with a wand (called the templum, also referring to the area of the ground consecrated for his use), and he would divide it into sections. He would stand facing south or east; the significance of the bird's flight or cry varied according to the direction from which it same. The auspices would be taken before every important event, military or public and, in the old days, private. The officer responsible, however, had the power to reject the conclusions.

A great story of more birds and augury (which did not tell the future but instead told whether a course of action would be favorable or not) happened  in 249 BC before the battle at sea at Depranum between Rome and Carthage. The sacred chickens, carried aboard the ship to foretell success in battle,  refused to eat. It was considered a good sign if they would eat.  Costly delay ensued on the part of the Romans while the constant report came back to the bridge: the sacred chickens will not eat.  Finally the admiral P Claudius Pulcher took matters in his own hands and said, "If they will not eat, then let them drink," and threw them overboard. Of course the Romans were defeated. :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1544 on: May 29, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »

Joan K,  I finally got a Lattimore whom Lombardo references and for that lovely in her bones he has "shining among women."

Fagles has "her cheeks flushed with beauty."

So she's a natural beauty here.

Dana, why do you think Menelaus is not the brightest bulb in the pack? hahaaha

Sally, you are so good at catching parallels!  I did not see that there was a kidnapping tho in O's story?

But there is another parallel with the new character, too! JoanK, I did not see the point of yet another new character but  on Theoklymenos, Hexter says (I sure am glad to have Hexter, Dana, thank you so much for mentioning him), that he is the only Homeric name whose first element is "theo," from "theos," god.  And it seems Sally is right, it's the same story of having killed a man that Odysseus told (the first version) to Athene. He will not have much of a role apparently, only that of prophet.

Great website on the Greek helmets,. RoshannaRose, thank you. The Met in NYC has an incredible collection of them, too, for those who can get there to see them. Wonderful hoplite helmets of many kinds only a pane of glass away.

Jude and Joan K, That Hearst Castle is something else, isn't it? It has the prettiest indoor pool I ever  saw in my life. The one I want to see is the Getty Museum, I've never made it there.

Hexter suggests Homer is "using" Athene as a device to be able to shift from location to location.

He also says it "would be an unthinkable breach of etiquette for T to depart without his host's permission." That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.  He says Athene is saying this about women as a whole, not P, otherwise T might not have gotten ON the road at all so fast.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1545 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
Oh this is interesting! Hexter also says the bird omens and the dreams themselves serve as epic similes in that "they permit the poet to introduce another perspective, drawn from a field distant from the narrative." And a LOT more. I'd love to be able to take a class of his on this.

And apparently one of the lines here is at issue.  I had originally put it in as l. 365, but on more careful observation he may be referring to that particular translator as he takes pains to say it's line [295]. Here's what he says:   
"No extant manuscript of The Odyssey contains this line  [295], but the geographer Strabo (first century CE) includes it when he cites the passage, and it was on the basis of his testimony that it was introduced  into printed texts of The Odyssey in the early eighteenth century. Whether this testifies to the fallibility of the ancient textual tradition or that of  modern editors can hardly be decided, but in any case the peculiar odyssey of this line provides a good example of the fluidity of the text (at least in details) even after the poem had long been committed to writing (even to print) and reminds us once again of the history and uncertainty of even the Greek 'original' facing any scholar or translator."

Now here I can't see 365, those of you with the Fitzgerald, will you tell us what line 365 is (or I'm not sure what that bracketed 295 is?) It would seem it would need to be a geographical location?

For 15, this is a good question: Does the story indicate why Eumaeus is especially loyal to Odysseus? If so, what's the reason? Back to the "stories" again, which I tend to gloss over. Anybody have any ideas here? (The answers are not given in these online study guides).

I guess we are supposed to think of Helen now as sort of immortal or inspired by the gods?

Here's a good one!

Who is the main female character in The Odyssey so far?
THAT is a good one! What would you say?

Babi

« Reply #1546 on: May 29, 2011, 09:07:42 AM »
 Perhaps it's what an artist or photographer sees when looking at a lovely
woman's face, JOANK. Bone structure..."she has beautiful bones".

Love that story of the sacred chickens, GINNY.  ;D   

Speaking of tossing things aside... Lord,  how casually women were tossed aside, unless, of course, they were a daughter of some god.  Here is Melampous,  in a fury, accomplishing  marvelous deeds to win the daughter of King Neleus.   Once he has her,  he dumps her on his brother and takes off for other parts, never to return.  He didn’t care a fig for the woman; his pride was hurt because her father ran him off.  He marries another woman, raises a family, and presumably never gives her another thought. 
   Did a woman in those circumstances have any recourse?  Could she return to her father?  Marry?  [Ginny?  Jude?  Anybody?]

Dana

« Reply #1547 on: May 29, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »
For "Helen, lovely in her bones" (Lombardo) and  "Helen, her cheeks flushed with beauty" (Fagles), Fitzgerald has
"and the Lady Helen
drew near so that he saw her cheek's pure beauty"
 so I looked up the Greek, and the word is kalliparynos which means beautiful cheeked, kalos beautiful and parynos cheek or jaw, and the whole phrase in Greek translates , "and beautiful cheeked Helen was standing near and bearing in her arms the robe...."

I just read the beginning again where Athena appears to Telemachus and I do think she is using these comments about the suitors and women forgetting their first husband and kids as a goad to stir Telemachus into action.  It works, because  immediately,
"He swung his foot across and gave a kick
and said to the son of Nestor:
"Open your eyes
Peisistratos. Get our team into harness.
We have a long day's journey."

This, in the middle of the night.  Peisistratos tells him to calm down and wait till morning........

Dana

« Reply #1548 on: May 29, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
Pero the daughter of Neleus was taken home by Melampous as a bride for his brother Bias.  So says the legend.
So it sounds like she did OK!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1549 on: May 29, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
Maybe the liner numbers are different in different translations.

For 365, I have "They're (the suitors serving men) young, well dressed in tunics and cloaks"

Dana

« Reply #1550 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24:02 PM »
line 365 in Fitzgerald (295 in the greek) is:

passing Krounoi abeam and Khalkis estuary

I'll look for the Greek

Dana

« Reply #1551 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »
the Greek is:
ban de para Krounos kai Chalkida kallireethon

which translates:

going by Krounos and beautiful flowing Chalkida

Dana

« Reply #1552 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
It occurred to me that we have to remember that Athena is a devious trickster like Odysseus, so it now all falls into place for me--the whole approach to Telemachus is a devious trick to get him to set out for home--just as Odysseus' telling of the tale to get the cloak was a devious trick to get a warm cover for himself.  And their tricks have exactly the same effect on me, annoyance ...

roshanarose

« Reply #1553 on: May 29, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
To this day it is not easy being a chook.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1554 on: May 29, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
It occurred to me that we have to remember that Athena is a devious trickster like Odysseus
Good point.  Neither of them is going to take a straight path if there's a crooked one available.

Athena:....."Here we are,
The two shrewdest minds in the universe,
You far and away the best man on earth
In plotting strategies, and I famed among gods
For my clever schemes."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1555 on: May 29, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »
I had to look up chook to find it means chicken; indeed, you're right.

Roshanarose, that's a really great site about armor. I hope you realize that you messed up my whole evening.  :)  I got sucked into it and read on, going from page to page--helmets, shields, ships, swords.  Then I spent another wad of time on it today.  There are even reconstructions of the armor in the Iliad.  I finally see how you might get all those scenes on Achilles' shield.

I can see I'll have to be more careful about throwing out the remains of my wild boars after feasts, though.  I'll need 20 to 40 sets of tusks for my helmet.

Gumtree

« Reply #1556 on: May 30, 2011, 02:42:28 AM »

:D   :D

Gumtree

« Reply #1557 on: May 30, 2011, 02:48:18 AM »
Cook says - Helen of the fair cheeks

Roshanarose :   :D   :D  :D    - and even harder being an 'old chook'

roshanarose

« Reply #1558 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »
PatH - Yep.  When I find a site like the one on Bronze Age Armour I always describe it as the "Black Hole", ie you can't help but disappear into it.  Be careful Pat - the most difficult thing about getting those tusks is capturing the boars.

Gumtree - I have been wondering where you were.  Glad to see you emerge and celebrate another "old chook". ;)

Babi

« Reply #1559 on: May 30, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
 I'm so glad Pero was the bride, DANA, and not a permanent unwanted guest!
 And 'beautiful flowing Calkida' sounds so much lovelier than 'Khalkis estuary'.