Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556712 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #5000 on: August 05, 2022, 01:34:37 AM »
Wow just finished watching The House of Gucci - talk about an Italian Opera steeped in revenge, betrayal, manipulation, raw aggression to satisfy a thirst for power and money - whew...  Puccini's Manon Lescaut, Pagliacci and Verdi's Nabucco all rolled into one libretto, The House of Gucci sheesh   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5001 on: August 05, 2022, 07:28:49 AM »
Lady Gaga did really well in that part,  didn't she? Apparently there's also another fashion house,  besides Versace, with the same amount of tragedy and  drama, too. I truly had no idea.

Am watching Edward on Edward, on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2gL6h-Iy4I  it's not new,  Prince Edward is examining the life  and papers of Edward VIII, the Duke of Windsor, lots of black and white archival film, very interesting. I thought I had read everything on the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, apparently not. Also Edward Fox, an actor I really like, was in one of the Poirots last week and I thought to watch his Edward and Mrs. Simpson which Amazon Prime has free, and it's still one of the best movies on them, I think, although very old, he's a perfect Duke of Windsor.

Speaking of the British aristocracy, here's one which certainly would put anybody off them for life: one of the last programs I saw with the DIGI was the one with the   Fulfords, and I have never seen anything like them....ever.

There's a program on youtube where the woman who comes in and famously cleans houses  goes to the Fulford place and.....I actually had to stop watching...as I said, I never saw anything like that and hope never to, again.

"Fulford is lord of the manor of Great Fulford, the current owner of the estate which was granted to his ancestor William de Fulford by King Richard about 1191, as a reward for military service on the Third Crusade.The present great house dates back to the 16th century..."

Known for the reality series The F***ing Fulfords.... Huge 50 room  house. 3000 acres.   I managed to get through 9 minutes of this and wished I had spent the time otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-P6Oo4zS8  How Clean is Your House Special - The Filthy Fulfords
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5002 on: August 05, 2022, 10:30:47 AM »
I think Tony Bennett did much for her allowing the public to know she was really good and a nice person where as her outrages appearance may have caught the attention of the public, it sure was not suggesting she had skill and talent worthy of an acting part - even her name is pop and so we are surprised when she shows she is more than a pop icon.

Regardless the condition I'm thinking it is courageous to maintain one of these castles built before the eighteenth century - when they were built and in their hayday they had all sorts of local taxes supporting them much less being free of estate taxes, and all sorts of servants that when staffs were reduced there is no way without pots of money modern equipment could take their place and the homes really have to become money make enterprises just to be maintained and most of the upper class are not educated or trained to be CEOs of the kind of enterprise required to keep these castles and even the large country houses going in the manner they were when they were built.  I've seen a couple of times how the owner of, is it Hardgrove where Downton Abbey was filmed - he runs that estate like a large business with many products and services each in separate departments - it is far more than a small business - that kind of knowledge and skill is not the typical education sought by the upper class

What really would be interesting is a documentary about the entire staff that it takes to run say Windsor or Buckingham Palace including the gardens - problem to do that many  would be shocked at the expense and want the royals to either move or foot the bill - in fact it would be interesting to learn what it takes to keep the White House and it's grounds in action but again so many in the public would see it as moeny that should be spent on the less fortunate.

Going back home on Sunday and so I doubt I will watch either till next week but thanks for those links - something to look forward to... 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #5003 on: August 08, 2022, 06:45:30 AM »
I watched a YouTube program about Jane Austen's house only to discover more this morning. I plan on watching the TimeLine program a little later on the "big screen" rather than watch it on the computer in a bit. Lucy Worsley sure is enthusiastic about her subject, isn't she?  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jane+Austin+House

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5004 on: August 11, 2022, 08:53:39 AM »
 Yes, I really like her and this is a good one, too. She's very good on the Tudors, Henry VIII and his 6  wives, and Dan Snow is also very good. A good film, especially for Jane Austen fans.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5005 on: August 11, 2022, 01:20:56 PM »
Agree "Lucy Worsley sure is enthusiastic about her subject," - love the way she includes herself by dressing as a side character in these period documentaries - she is doing George III and IV & the Napoleonic War this week on our local PBS - I'll have to look for the one done on Jane Austin - sounds good

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5006 on: August 15, 2022, 10:35:01 AM »
Am really missing DIGI and my mornings in the gardens and in the stately homes, though the latter was so depressing I quit watching,  but last night Amazon Prime popped up with  a series on Acorn I never heard of, called The Agatha Christie Hour and I watched the first one which starred her character Parker Pyne, which I never cared for, after a few pages, and never read the books.

What an ODD thing that was. It's not a mystery, at least this one wasn't, it was some kind of...I don't know what he was, "fixer," who fixed people's lives when they were unhappy and.... I don't know, very odd. At least the actors were delightful, and the reason I watched it to the end was the female lead was the same actress who played Colonel Bantry's wife in the Miss Marple series, Dolly Bantry, and I really like her.

I have no idea what to make of it, and  it apparently IS a series of its own.  Acorn seems to be coming out with all kinds of different things lately, which is fine with me.

Anybody watching anything good?

Frybabe

« Reply #5007 on: September 02, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »
Anybody watching the new prequel series called The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power on Amazon? I am not sure I care to, but basis for making this prequel is rather interesting. I have, but never read, Silmarillion, but have read his short stories set in Middle Earth.

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/what-book-is-the-rings-of-power-lord-of-the-rings-based-on

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5008 on: September 02, 2022, 11:17:47 PM »
Interesting link, Frybabe.  I've read bits of The Silmarillion, but find it rather depressing.  It's interesting that Amazon bought copyrights to the Ring trilogy, including the appendices, which give some of the background and further outcome of the trilogy, but not to The Silmarillion itself.  I hope they didn't buy exclusive rights.  I sort of don't trust Peter Jackson, and certainly don't trust Amazon, not to Disneyfy things.  Jackson did an amazing job on LOTR, especially visually.  It's hard to believe anyone could make visual sense of Gandalf's duel with the Balrog and what happened afterwards, but he caught it perfectly.

But in several places he oversimplified motives in a way that lost some of the point.

I doubt I'll watch it.  I'm not watching much these days.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5009 on: September 03, 2022, 01:51:16 AM »
Oops.  I was reading too fast, and thought Peter Jackson would be involved in Rings of Power. I'm even more doubtful.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5010 on: September 03, 2022, 11:25:04 AM »
After seeing two of the 'Ring' books on film I was so disappointed and they were considered good interpretations - Forgot his name, was it Jackson, from Australia - anyhow he  made whatever was supposed to be frightening, bad or evil so gargantuan on screen it lost for me all its spiritual meaning - how could anyone relate to the part of themselves that was not up to snuff - he took the story out of any possibility for a deeper meaning and just filmed it as a fantasy good versus bad extravaganza - and the ad that keeps popping up when you link to Amazon does not bode well that their version will be any better... and so like you Pat I doubt I will be watching...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5011 on: September 03, 2022, 12:50:09 PM »
I see it's been a few days since I signed on to Amazon--hadn't seen the ad yet.  Yes, Barb, it bodes ill.  Tolkien had an understanding of myth, and what it takes to make a good one, that many of his imitators lack.  It isn't enough to dress in elaborate medieval costumes and wave a sword or wand around in front of a castle.  And, as you point out, Tolkien was deeply spiritual, and it shows in his writing..

Ann

• ~~~
« Reply #5012 on: September 22, 2022, 02:47:18 PM »
Hi.  I've been watching the new Ring back story.  I'd say,  "check it out".  I'm enjoying it for the most part.  I think it is well cast and richly "filmed".  I agree that Jackson (from New Zealand) made the last two installments of LOR pretty operatic.  I much prefer his Hobbit trilogy and enjoy rewatching it whenever the opportunity arises.

Nice to  have some sci fi/ fantasy fold in the group.  Who else is waiting for Avatar 2?!

Frybabe

« Reply #5013 on: September 27, 2022, 01:08:37 PM »
Yesterday i received an email notifying me that author Matthew Mather died in a car crash earlier this month.  I left a link to one of the more extensive obits I've seen for him over on the Science Fiction discussion group. His book, Cyberstorm, is to be made into a movie, but it is likely to be a few years before we see it. No info on it other than it is in development.

Frybabe

« Reply #5014 on: October 06, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »
Occasionally I run across a movie trailer that looks interesting. The other day, I found two.

One is Till which is about Mamie Till Mobley and her pursuit for justice for her 14 year old son who was lynched. Nigerian-American Chinonye Chukwu directed. The trailer mentioned that this is a film by blacks, for blacks. It premiered on Oct. 1 and will be released October 14.

The other is Orbital. There is very little information on IMDB about this one other than it is a foreign film, the cast and crew all appear to be middle-eastern or Indian and that the distributors are all internet outfits. Snapchat, Facebook Watch and YouTube were named plus one more not familiar to me. So, I guess that means it is an internet only movie?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5015 on: October 15, 2022, 10:18:59 AM »
 Those sound like interesting films, Frybabe, thank you for bringing them here.

I haven't had much time for fun leisure activities but I did watch  season one of  the 1970's remake of Upstairs Downstairs, solely to see Adrian Scarborough as the butler.

I had tried it once before and found the first couple of shows absolutely awful and retreated to buy the original series.

But he's always mentioned in that part and since he made such an incredible George Carman I wanted to see him, and I am so glad I did.

As the first series went on, it grew on one. I very much disliked/dislike the female lead and still think she's most unsympathetically drawn,  but it's not the actress's fault. One  tires of these tiresome titled whiny people sometimes, but Scarborough was super and the supporting cast is marvelous: Eileen Atkins, Jean Marsh, Art Malik, Claire Foy, Anne Reid, super work. A stellar cast down to the last person. The Downstairs is much stronger than the Upstairs but maybe that is intentional.

I take back all my negative reviews of it previously. Episode 2 in the second year brought me to tears, so beautifully done.

So I hope to continue in Season 2 this weekend.   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5016 on: November 15, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
The Crown is certainly interesting and has some spectacular episodes of what I think are great worth.

The Valet to the King episode, MouMou is excellent about Sydney Johnson and his relationship to Mohamed Al Fayed, I found that one to be outstanding,  (had never heard of him but now there are documentaries about him),  and the comparison there to the Charles-  Diana thing was pretty striking, too, and not to the credit of the  Royals  I must say. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse.

I watched that episode  twice, it's gotten a lot of buzz.

Anybody watching it?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5017 on: November 15, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
It's only available on Netflex which I have not subscribed to.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5018 on: November 19, 2022, 05:19:33 PM »
Oh that's a shame, the entire series is quite good.

I'm not sure this latest installment is up to the others but there have been some super episodes, really the best they've had.  I'm really getting up for the World Cup, despite all the negativity about it, the teams are wonderful and it's going to be some great TV sport.

(Messi, Messi, Messi!!) hahhaah

Frybabe

« Reply #5019 on: November 20, 2022, 05:25:49 AM »
Tomorrow afternoon I will be watching the world cup, after all it is Wales vs the US.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5020 on: November 20, 2022, 05:47:36 AM »
Oh I know!!  And there are 15 other matches today. All day long.

Very exciting.

Frybabe

« Reply #5021 on: November 20, 2022, 04:56:54 PM »
I have no idea who to root for since I am half Welsh. However, since this is the first time in eight years the US had made it this far, they deserve a few cheers.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5022 on: November 27, 2022, 10:10:07 AM »
Love the World Cup, so many unexpected developments in this one.  Can't wait till it comes to the US next time!

I finished The Crown,  and was somewhat startled to see it end like it did. I had seen people wanting to "explain" the ending online and wondered why. I still do.  What is there to explain?

Thing took a dark turn with the "Charles" episodes,  the last few,  particularly, very dark, vis a vis his personal ambition and his relationship with Diana there at the last. Dark and mean.

I do think it's a very good idea to have postponed it till after the death of the Queen, it was quite unfair to her in parts, especially the last bits about Charles and the new Prime Minister, really would probably have hurt her feelings. No need in that, I think, and I also think her last year as Queen was triumphant. The crowds certainly seemed to think so. Brilliant  bit with Paddington Bear, too.

I'm glad she missed the movie.

I do have to wonder why,  with all her resources,  she could not undertake the repairs on the Britannia personally.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5023 on: November 27, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »
My take on letting the Britannia go was not just the repairs but the cost of maintenance but more she seemed to love spending her time away from London at Balmoral rather than at sea.

Can't figure out Charles - in one breath all he did was trash his Mom and then in his later years they were best friends - so far my take is he never had the confidence of either of his parents and therefore he did not know how to have a relationship with someone like Diana who, let's face it had far more charisma than he did and would probably within a perfect marriage still get more world attention for any of her charities then he ever would or has...

The British public seems to be giving him their support except that incident a couple of weeks ago where he had eggs thrown at him... so far no real look at him as a person of interest - I don't think he can even play polo any longer - he prefers traditional architecture but so far no interest in gardens - we shall see - he really hasn't even been formally crowned yet unless they are skipping that in the name of a more frugal monarchy.

Frybabe

« Reply #5024 on: November 30, 2022, 05:57:03 AM »
Watched this interesting perspective this morning. "The Roman Ruins of Detroit" posted by ToldinStone.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGTt2izw3XA

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5025 on: November 30, 2022, 08:04:37 AM »
He's always good, isn't he? I have his book but have not yet read it.

I had seen a clip of Scorsese being asked what he's watching now and he said Derry  Girls, to great applause, and then he laughed and said "those nuns!"

I thought, don't tell me they've released Season 3  and lo and behold they have! I watched a bit of it last night  on Netflix, and it's as hilarious as it ever was. I am so sorry this is the last year.

Rosemary Kaye originally suggested it and it's a total hoot, and it doesn't hurt to have the closed captioning  on for their accents, but for some reason this year I understand them.

Super series.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5026 on: December 27, 2022, 11:41:14 AM »
Another really good one so far is Glass Onion, a Knives Out Mystery, the second installment of Daniel Craig as the detective and this one, so far, is better than the first one which is saying something. I really am enjoying it, have any of you seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5ibYSz8C0

Tomereader1

« Reply #5027 on: December 27, 2022, 07:08:40 PM »
My daughter told me to watch it, and I started it.  To me it was kind of silly.  I may go back to it.  I started watching the original, and so far finding it funnier than Glass Onion.  We'll see.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5028 on: December 28, 2022, 06:47:25 AM »
Oh and I just finished it last night and came in to say I am going to watch it again, how far in it did you get? I loved it.  Pure escapism with lots of unexpected surprises. The casting alone is so fun to gasp in the little walk ons, "oh that's...." It's just fun.

They are both loosely based on Agatha Christie, this one on And Then There Were None, as it's called in America.

They are making a third. I think they are on to something.

I looked up (changing the subject)  Derry Girls on Rotten Tomatoes and it has an unprecedented critic's rave rating of 99 percent and 93 percent audience opinion, absolutely love that show.  That's definitely earned but it's not for everybody, for sure. It's a comedy based on the Troubles in the Irish Republic written by somebody who lived through it, it's hard to explain but it's definitely a hoot.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5029 on: December 30, 2022, 07:09:42 AM »
I was watching again a documentary on Claridges Hotel in London, a luxury hotel for the super rich,  to see how the other half lives the other day because it came up on the side panel of one of my searches. I've seen it before, I think it's 12 years old,  and Thomas Kochs, the manager featured here is now at the Corinthia, but it's fascinating to imagine, even for an hour, this world:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBsJ0vC4Xnw  Christmas time at Claridges.

And on the side it had this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqdcnMhnQ4&t=2474s which I am mesmerized with. And you thought YOU cooked a lot on  Christmas!

When I was in high school, they were sort of obsessed with taking us on field trips to huge manufacturing  plants so we could see assembly lines? Or view mass production? For some reason. Two that stand out for me were  the Hershey plant when you went inside the plant, unlike today's tour, and a  steel mill where we had to don helmets and nearly got killed  by a moving  huge red hot beam of steel, being moved in the air. I have always been fascinated by it, but  THIS thing is way beyond. I can't imagine, I truly can't, doing this all day long.

The stollen alone is worth the watch. I always wondered how they cut layers in a cake, too. For an automated plant there appears to be an AWFUL lot of physical work.   Repetitive heavy physical work. Remember Lucille Ball in the candy factory?

Frybabe

« Reply #5030 on: January 06, 2023, 07:03:04 AM »
This week I discovered that someone is putting up the old History Channel series Cities of the Underworld. The first one was about Naples. Very interesting and one I don't remember seeing at all. Last night I watched the Freemason Underworld episode which I had seen before. I suspect I missed a lot of them because there appear to be at least six seasons. I do not remember there being six seasons. YAY! Some of these are marked updated. Double YAY! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-PJiq1UPNs&list=PLmESdUVQzm3x7PkwBp6zBHmIkAiV0ySqg

Not surprisingly, my interest in books, art and illustration got a boost with Pete Beard's series on magazine, books and their artists and illustrations. The first I watched just had to be about MAD Magazine. https://www.youtube.com/@petebeard I haven't seen any postings for Norman Rockwell or the Vargas girls yet.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5031 on: January 10, 2023, 01:46:04 AM »
Did not even know they made the book into a movie but saw A Man Called Ove and was delighted - they nailed him - not so over the top he was no longer believable and all the neighbors were spot on... I was not too sure of the actor they chose for him as a young married man but looking at the face I realize how believable the facial features - I remember delaying reading the book because it was such a hit I was sure it was going to be a 90 day wonder and all over before it actually got started - instead it was one of several by the author and each low key with just enough quirky to make the stories a delight and the movie did not disappoint at all.   

Tomereader1

« Reply #5032 on: January 10, 2023, 01:49:08 PM »
You fully "got" the original Man Called Ove movie!  It's my feeling that Tom Hanks is NOT the person portrayed in the book, or the original movie.  Yes, they'e saying he's a "curmudgeon", but that is not the whole enchilada in the portrayal of Ove (Otto, as this new one is named).  In the original movie, there is drama, sentimentality, caring, learning about others; not just a curmudgeon, yelling at everyone for any reason he might think is necessary.  My opinion about Tom Hanks probably won't be popular here, but all these books that he buys the rights to, don't do any justice to the book as written (I realize screenplays change things), but he uses them for his personal (I want to say "glorification", but that's not the word I'm looking for) well, glorification.  LOL.  He is a good actor, but his older films stand out in my mind, i.e. "Castaway".  For me, he ruined "News of the World".  Nuff said.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #5033 on: January 10, 2023, 02:01:12 PM »
I was wondering about that Tome. I didn't know here was an original movie (2015)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5034 on: January 10, 2023, 06:28:49 PM »
Oh so that is what my daughter-in-law was talking about - I heard Hanks did one of the books but did not realize it was a remake of A Man Called Ove - the movie I saw was just too perfect for anyone much less a personality actor to improve on it... yes, he is really basically kind and it sounds terrible to say but his many attempts at suicide were actually funny. Who ever he is he played it just perfectly - the Persian women was good but I could see someone else in the part but no way could there be an improvement on Ove...

As for Hanks in my book once he got successful he allowed his head to blow up... Moving to Greece because he did not like what was happening in the US is not supposed to matter in the scheme of acting but it was below the salt as far as I was concerned and he went down another notch - But then Hollywood has not been realizing much of interest to me - the daily news has become so much drama that I want peace and simple which is not the recipe for a blockbuster movie.

Saw an interesting documentary on the Gauls - appears they were farmers and although had a reputation as fierce warriors the daily life was the mild stuff of many ancient civilizations.

Read several articles on Pope Benedict who was a theologian of theologians and in one of his books he goes into how Christianity and in particular Catholic theology is dependent upon the Greeks and Romans where as the documentary on Gaul suggests it lent its thinking to the basics that became basic Greek and Roman philosophy. Within my reading I like how Benedict explains without both faith and belief along with thinking and questioning the worst of man comes to the forefront - without faith and belief we get leaders like Hitler and Pol Pot and without thinking and questioning we get another kind of fanatic Cult Leader - humanity is dependent on both... Never thought it through and it makes sense...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5035 on: January 21, 2023, 02:55:09 PM »
Never read Shadowland and last night found the movie - looks like from the actors in the film it was made back in the 80s or maybe the 90s - and it appears to be a retelling of the book - interesting - took place it appears in the 50s or maybe early 60s when the popular joke always included bashing women - I thought he wrote the Narnia stories for his children and here he never married till late in life and never had children of his own... Probably have him mixed up with Kenneth Grahame or maybe A.A. Milne - the movie did alert me to at least one other of his Narnia books that I would like to read, The Magician's Nephew

Frybabe

« Reply #5036 on: January 22, 2023, 06:20:31 AM »
In addition to Cities of the Underworld, I watched the first episode of The Normans which is another old goody from The History Channel. The Cities episode was mostly about the old Russian bunkers from WWII. It was more interesting than I expected. Much of Ukraine, where most of the bunkers were, was hit hard by the Germans during WWII. The most notable bunkers were from that era including the bunker at Sebastopol. The last bunker tour, though, was a decommissioned underground nuclear submarine base from the Cold War era.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5037 on: February 05, 2023, 02:13:24 PM »
As  mentioned in the Library I'm enjoying the 9th season of Seaside Hotel, the Danish hit, with of course closed captioning, really enjoying it, also year 3 of Derry Girls, that one you can't stop binge watching until it's finished.  But they are on tape and the current Murdaugh trial is not, so I'm riveted to it at the moment. Also just finished the Great British Bake Off, the newest season we get, and really enjoyed the people. They are all so NICE!

Nice to see in our current climate.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5038 on: February 06, 2023, 07:03:23 PM »
Youtube is currently running free the old Jeeves and Wooster full episodes and they are so much fun.

FYI

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5039 on: February 19, 2023, 07:24:52 PM »
The Jeeves and Wooster originals are also interesting for the cast. Last night I noticed that Balmy is actually Martin Clunes, or Doc Martin to a lot of people, much younger.

I wonder if Hugh Laurie can play the piano, he does a good job of pretending if not.

PS: I looked him up, uh YES he can play the piano, that was real:

Laurie’s talents aren’t limited to the screen or the stage—that is, acting on stage—as he also has a successful career as a musician. From the days of Jeeves and Wooster and Fry and Laurie, to House, to hosting Saturday Night Live, Laurie has put his musical talents to use in his acting. But as a pianist and vocalist, also he’s fronted and toured with his blues band, the Copper Bottom Band, and toured as part of the charity cover band, Band from TV. He’s released two solo albums, Didn’t it Rain and Let Them Talk, a celebration of New Orleans blues featuring collaborations with blues legends Irma Thomas, Dr. John, and Allen Toussaint.

In a 2013 interview with Larry King, who asked him if he enjoys music more than acting, he replied, “I do, I do,” later explaining, “I think actors become actors because they want to hide—they put on masks, they want to be someone else. When you’re doing music, even when you’re playing a character in a song, there’s still an element of removing masks; it’s about exposing yourself, it’s about being vulnerable. And there’s an intimacy to that, and an honesty in that relationship with an audience, which I think is very, very precious when it’s right.