Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ Opens July 3 - TRAVEL

<< < (3/12) > >>

Steph:
When I go  by plane, the trip is horrid, but the destination wondeful.. On a train, the journey is golden..and on the river boats in Europe, it is heavenly as well.
PuertoVallarto.. Been there, horrid, went to the fish market and the smell drove me out.. Policemen with machine guns at the street intersections and people grabbing at you when you left the hotel compound.. Ugh..
Driving trips. I have enjoyed this one.. Drov 550 miles by myself since my traveling companion has Parkinsons and she no longer drives.. Enjoyed it. I was married for 51 years to a born driver, so have not drive that long distance stuff as an adult. When I was 19, I drove from Delaware to Oklahoma for a Lutheran Youth convention with another girl. She could not drive, so Idid all the way..

pedln:

--- Quote ---but the destination was always worth it.
--- End quote ---
  Jane.

As this traveler writing in Memorable Journeys (above) about all her trepidations, and reasons for not going ---

--- Quote ---Then I stepped foot outside the airport in Kabul and actually saw the city and started to meet people. All of the effort faded from my mind, as well as any residual fears. I felt as though I had come home.
--- End quote ---

Does anyone really enjoy plane travel?  Perhaps the eight-year-old, seeing a city from above for the first time, or maybe the adult returning to a favorite locale and spotting a familiar landmark.  Back in the days of travel agencies, I’d tell the agent, when making plane reservations west to Seattle,  “a window on the left, going out, and a window on the right coming back.”  Alas, my knees no longer like window seats, but I still thrill when we pass Mt. Ranier.

I’m glad you enjoyed driving to North Carolina, Steph.  Driving is my preference, it’s so much easier to plan and pack, and you don’t have to pay if you change your mind about the departure date.

jane:
Pedln...plane rides have certainly changed over the years. My first one was from Paris to NY in 1964...lovely choice of a meal, pillow, attentive service.  The "good old days" are long over in the air.  I agree, however, that often the headaches of air travel are still worth getting wherever quickly to enjoy the destination.

Steph:
Travel to Europe entails planes..but I really resent this charge for everything attitude on the airlines part. Alas I am old enough to remember when it was fun..

nlhome:
We didn't travel much outside of day trips when I was a child. I remember my first trip by plane - a high school trip to New York and Washington DC - as being overwhelming. But then I got married, and we did a lot of traveling, both by car and by plane. My husband did the most, through work, and I tried to go with him. Motion sickness tends to make air travel uncomfortable, so the longer trips like Hawaii didn't appeal.

Now, given the added conplications of security and high costs, I'd just as soon take car trips - so that the journey is as important as the destination...as said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version