Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 745977 times)

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #3000 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

I was just about to post one of my famour "and what are you reading today?"
And then wyou were reading almost everything  hehe
Step am going to look up On Agate Hill on my Kindle, thanks

Steph

« Reply #3001 on: March 27, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
Judy, as I remember you love the south and it is truly a southern love letter.
Had a meeting last night of Friends of the Library.The reference librarian took us on a tour of all the reference material in the library. How to access it. What new classes they are having on computers.. The IPAD ones are all full..but they are going to do one onf Skype and I think I will try and take it, since I am not sure I understand Skype..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #3002 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:18 PM »
I just read Janet Dailey's Medicine Men. Her books seem to be all over the place for me. Some i have loved, others not so much. This one was a not-so-much. She really seemed to be angry at doctors. The story had about a half dozen women who each had a relationship of some kind w/ a doctor. Most of the docs were controlling and uncommunicative other then in their expertise. And this was another instance of where it seems the author didn't know how to end the story and actually left us hanging w/ the lead character not knowing if her brain tumor cancer was truly gone. It was a rather weird reading for me, obviously unsatisfying.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3003 on: March 27, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Spring is coming: and Spring is the time to think about-- dah dah! THE CLASSICS.

What better time of year to go dancing through the woods with the ancient Greeks. Does anyone have their pan pipes ready? We are planning a new classics discussion for May 15th. Come and tell us that you will be with us reading some of the classic literature that has inspired us through the ages:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2395.200

Steph

« Reply #3004 on: March 28, 2012, 06:02:16 AM »
Janet Daily is known as an old fashioned romance writer. She got in trouble a bit ago for plagerism..No idea how that turned out, but for a while, there were no new books at all. I had gotten the impression that she is quite old and could possibly be dead. Not sure though.

Babi

« Reply #3005 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
JEAN, I have had some very fine doctors, thank Heaven, but I also have had experiences in
my family in which a doctor was the direct cause of serious harm to someone I love. Now, I
must have one that will not only explain everything to my satisfaction, but will listen
when I tell him something about a body I am extremely familiar with...my own.

I don't know how old Janet Daily is, STEPH, but if her memory is as fickle as mine, her
plagiarism(?) may have simply resulted from not remembering where an idea or thought
came from.  ???   :-[
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #3006 on: March 28, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
Oops! I made a mistake! I confused authors on two books i was reading. Alice Adams wrote Medicine Men. I'm also reading Dailey's Aspen Gold, which is apparently the nivel NORA ROBERTS sued her over.......from wiki....

Dailey was sued in 1997 by fellow novelist Nora Roberts, who accused Dailey of copying her work for over seven years. The practice came to light after a reader read Roberts' Sweet Revenge and Dailey's Notorious back-to-back; she noticed several similarities and posted the comparable passages on the internet. Calling the plagiarism "mind rape," Roberts sued Dailey.[9] Dailey acknowledged the theft and blamed it on a psychological disorder. She admitted that both Aspen Gold and Notorious lifted heavily from Roberts's work. Both of those novels were subsequently pulled from print.[10][11] In April 1998 Dailey settled the case. Although terms were not released, Roberts had previously indicated that any settlement funds should be donated to the Literacy Volunteers of America.[9][12]
In 2001, Dailey returned to publishing with a four-book deal with Kensington Books.

Dailey is still alive, born in 1944, so not so old.

I think i may have found a gem, a long time ago, someone mentioned Donati. I got her Into the Wilderness and started it while in a bout of insomnia last night. The first 50 pages are great. Late 18th century in New York state. I like the characters already. Unusually strong young women just arrived from England planning to start a school in the area where her father owned a thousand acres, her Father has plans for her marriage to the local physcian. Of course, there is a "backwoodsman" who has attracted her attention.

I love it when an author gives us a hint of what her research has been by naming and explaining those who assissted her, especially in historical fiction. Donati gives us a nice list.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #3007 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
That's Sara Donati.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3008 on: March 28, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »
Oops! I made a mistake! I confused authors on two books i was reading. Alice Adams wrote Medicine Men. I'm also reading Dailey's Aspen Gold, which is apparently the nivel NORA ROBERTS sued her over.......from wiki....

Dailey was sued in 1997 by fellow novelist Nora Roberts, who accused Dailey of copying her work for over seven years. The practice came to light after a reader read Roberts' Sweet Revenge and Dailey's Notorious back-to-back; she noticed several similarities and posted the comparable passages on the internet. Calling the plagiarism "mind rape," Roberts sued Dailey.[9] Dailey acknowledged the theft and blamed it on a psychological disorder. She admitted that both Aspen Gold and Notorious lifted heavily from Roberts's work. Both of those novels were subsequently pulled from print.[10][11] In April 1998 Dailey settled the case. Although terms were not released, Roberts had previously indicated that any settlement funds should be donated to the Literacy Volunteers of America.[9][12]
In 2001, Dailey returned to publishing with a four-book deal with Kensington Books.

I think i may have found a gem, a long time ago, someone mentioned Donati. I got her Into the Wilderness and started it while in a bout of insomnia last night. The first 50 pages are great. Late 18th century in New York state. I like the characters already. Unusually strong young women just arrived from England planning to start a school in the area where her father owned a thousand acres, her Father has plans for her marriage to the local physcian. Of course, there is a "backwoodsman" who has attracted her attention.

I love it when an author gives us a hint of what her research has been by naming and explaining those who assissted her, especially in historical fiction. Donati gives us a nice list.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #3009 on: March 28, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »

Jean
[/quote]
[/quote]

CallieOK

« Reply #3010 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
Jean, I've read all of Sara Donati's books about the NY wilderness area and enjoyed them tremendously.    I know very little about that part of history in the n.e. USA.

Steph

« Reply #3011 on: March 29, 2012, 05:42:45 AM »
Jean, how amazing. I like to go to John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown,NC. Two very strong minded women came to North Carolina back in the early part of the 1900's. They founded the folk school and are buried there. Sounds as if someone might have read their stories.. They were remarkable women and have established a school, which specializes in the old time crafts and living peacably. It is a wonderful place to spend a week learning some new thing and reliving the earlier times. I love the place. They were from UK..

Babi

« Reply #3012 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »
 What on earth is going on?!!  Jean's post got repeated twice, and most of the page is
taken up with those three posts. No one else mentions it, but I can't imagine how it could
happen on just my computer.  ???
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #3013 on: March 29, 2012, 11:34:35 AM »
Yes, I saw the duplication, but knew it wasn't my computer, and that it would do no good to report it.  Just a gremlin in the system!!  Only I got it three (3) times!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #3014 on: March 29, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
That was weird......

CallieOK

« Reply #3015 on: March 29, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
I also saw it three times - and the middle one was in the box with a "purple" background like a Quote.
April Fool a few days early?  ;)

Steph

« Reply #3016 on: March 30, 2012, 06:05:52 AM »
Had to be the site. I got it too.
I am reading a non fiction on the current life of teens and how it has changed. Really good.. She follows several teens all the way thrgh 7-12.. Some emotions stay the same as ours, but the way the teens handle them is so very different.

Babi

« Reply #3017 on: March 30, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »
  Somewhere in the system, on occasion, someone leans over and accidentally presses a key
with an elbow and weird things happen.  That's my theory!  ;)

Tomereader1

« Reply #3018 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
Just a note here even though I know most of you are nowhere near my area.   You may have seen my message from last year detailing my attendance at a lecture by Jamie Ford "Hotel At The Corner of Bitter and Sweet", which was held as part of Richardson Reads One Book.   This year's selection is "One Amazing Thing" by Chitra Divakaruni  I had not heard of this book, but it sounds unusual and quite wonderful.  Synopsis: A group of people awaiting rescue while trapped in the rubble of a building collapsed by an earthquake decide to deal with the stress by telling the stories of the most transcendant event in their lives.  Amazon.com: One Amazing Thing: Chitra Divakaruni: Books

FYI, Richardson is a suburb of Dallas, TX by definition only.  It is a growing, thriving City of its own.  They had to move last years lecture from their main library, to the High School auditorium, which is massive!  I can hardly wait for the September 20 program!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

salan

« Reply #3019 on: March 30, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »
Tomereader, One Amazing Thing sounds interesting.  I'll put it on my tbr list.  Thanks
Sally

Steph

« Reply #3020 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:02 AM »
Sounds like great lectures .. Our library week has not been well attended at our library, but the more obscure the author, the less likely people are to come.

marjifay

« Reply #3021 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
I'm reading Jose Saramago's THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JESUS CHRIST. First book of his I've read and am enjoying it very much. It's a skeptical, but very interesting, sometimes poetical and moving, account of the holy family and Jesus' short life. The characters are somewhat like, but mostly unlike, the biblical account.

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #3022 on: April 14, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
mostly mysteries just  now.

salan

« Reply #3023 on: April 14, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
I am currently reading Mistress of Nothing for ftf book club next month.  Short book, easy to read; but also easy to put down.  Sort of interesting, but kind of tedious.  My ftf book club meets this Thurs and will be discussing Emily and Einstein.  We are going to have a skype meeting with the author.  Should be interesting as our group is mostly in 70's & 80's and struggling to keep up with the techno world.

I have just started The Cat's Table.  Interesting so far.  Have any of you read it?  I am also reading a light book of stories called Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes.  I think someone here recommended it.  I am enjoying it. 

Sally

Babi

« Reply #3024 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
 I've started reading "Into the Wilderness", by Sara Donati, which was recommended by someone here.  I was surprised to find that it continues with two characters created by another
author.  The primary male character is Nathaniel, son of Hawkeye and Cora, from James
Fenimore Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans".  Hawkeye and Chingachgook are still living and active,
though Cora has died.
  I have no idea what the protocol is in using another author's (even deceased) characters. Have
any of you run across this in your reading?  I find no mention of this in the jacket blurb or any
foreword.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3025 on: April 14, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
Salan - I think it was I who recommended the Sweet Tea & Jesus Shoes book - I really liked it, glad you are also enjoying it.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #3026 on: April 14, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
I think I was the original "recommender" for Sweet Tea & Jesus Shoes, as I had gotten it free on my Kindle, and started spreading the word.  Anyway, whoever, me or rosemarykaye, we picked a good one! Delightful little stories.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3027 on: April 14, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
I think you were, too, Tomereader, and thanks to your passing the word, I have it on my Kindle also.  Am currently reading Bleak HOuse on my Kindle, so much better than the fine print in the book, and am also hooked on The Inner Circle by Brad Melzer -- set at the National Archives.  Fascinating so far.

The library has sent me messages that TWO on holds are ready -- Night Road by Kristin Hannah and The Boy in the Suitcase by Lena Kaaberbol.  I think the latter is Danish?  Not sure.  I don't know if I can do all these at once, along with Latin.  And play bridge.

salan

« Reply #3028 on: April 15, 2012, 05:39:07 AM »
I also read Parnassas on Wheels that someone here recommended.  I found it very light and enjoyable and it was only 99 cents on my kindle.  I recently read and enjoyed The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

Sally

Steph

« Reply #3029 on: April 15, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
 Ihave the Sweet Tea on reserve at my book swap club.. Sounds like fun. Yesterday was a no read day. I cleaned the garage..The first time in two and a half years. Lots of stuff went into the trash pile ,, lots is in the donations pile and the garage is now arranged, so I can find things. Some pangs when I ran into scribbled notes of his on plants and his battered up gardening gloves..

nlhome

« Reply #3030 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »
I also have Sweet Tea on reserve, and I found Parnassas on Wheels at a local library, so have that one coming up soon. So far I have read the introduction to that.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3031 on: April 15, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
Sorry Tomereader - I'm sure it was you!  I probably read it on your recommendation - honestly my memory gets worse ever day.  Anyway, it was good!  Thanks for telling us about it.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #3032 on: April 15, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
steph, wanna come to Texas and clean out my garage?  LOL

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3033 on: April 15, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
Not been able to find "Sweet tea" at the library at the moment.  Will ask them to find it. Maybe not out in LP.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3034 on: April 15, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »
Some people at the area church has volunteered to help 'Seniors" for 3 hours Saturday morning.  I had picked them to clean up my outdoor building. Put things back in the right place.  As usual, poured down all day so could not make it.  Only do it once a year.
Have to do it myself when weather permits.
Seems I always get sore shoulders when I do thinks like this.

MaryPage

« Reply #3035 on: April 15, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
MISS READ IS DEAD!
In the obits in The Washington Post today I find:
"Dora Saint, who wrote dozens of popular novels under the pen name of Miss Read depicting the joys and charms of life in quaint English villages, died April 7 in Shefford Woodlands, a village in the English county of Berkshire.  She was 98."

There follows a really nice, long obit.  Bless her forever!  Loved every book she ever wrote.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3036 on: April 15, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Oh what a shame - but it sounds as though she enjoyed a long and happy life.

Thanks for the info MaryPage.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3037 on: April 16, 2012, 06:01:45 AM »
The garage was interesting to clean. The number of things that I have no idea what they do was amazing..But my theory also was... if I dont know what it is, I certainly cant figure out how to use it.. Interesting the things he saved that made no sense. I think every screw he ever found, he kept in a large box. I found four large tarps.. Hmm. I kept them, but not quite sure why.. May ask my sons if they need any.
Today is my annual squeeze the boobs day.. Sigh.. I do so wish they would invent a slightly less painful method.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3038 on: April 16, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
I thought that they had found a better way here at the "Mills Breast Centre" 20 Million dollar building.  Used it 2 years ago but the did not even show the one little things that has been there for 30 years.  No problem with it but usually mentioned. Really hurt on theirs.  Went back to my regular place last 2 times.  All O.K.
Think that a man invented the Mamo Machine.  If they had their Prostrate test done that way they would find something better for us.  But as long as they come up Neg. we should be thankfull

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #3039 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
tHEY HAVE A new kimnd where I go and it doesn't hurt nearly so bad. I have an appt on the 20th hope I can make it.
As most of you know my husband has dementia. He took the dogs for a walk Friday on a road
I told him he couldn't go on and he fell and my littleEmma run under a car and was killed.
I don't know if I can stand it or not.  Then sunday he could dizzy and eyes weren 't focing and he fell again the medics thought he was having a heart attact but he wasn't but he is still in the heart wing. He is having PT and he can't come home until he can walk as I can't handle him.
I see a rehab place in his future. I am home with a horrible back ache and should be there. Little Eddie that is the same age as Emma is terribly lost , He goes out in the yard and can't "find"
her. Thank God for wonderful neighbors and friends.
I don't understand how a man who walked for 3 miles on Friday can,t stand up on Sunday.
I get no answers.