Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 745971 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #5360 on: March 15, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

The Earlene Fowler book, The Saddlemaker's Wife, turned out to be a mystery as well as "fiction". I liked it very much. It had a surprising twist to the mystery at the end. I was compelled to read far into the night to finish it.

Jean

Jean, I am presently reading the follow up book "The Road to Cardinal Valley" and it is a very good read.

Frybabe

« Reply #5361 on: March 15, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »
Jean, I'm with you about the library categories. In ours, some of the series books (forget which mysteries just now) are divided between both. I asked about it, but only got a shrug.

nlhome

« Reply #5362 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
Our library puts all adult fiction together rather than separating by category. Large Print fiction is separate but not categorized either. I think it's probably more efficient, especially in these days of short staffing. It is also, for us, a space issue.

We have some very creative displays in our library, and often they will consist of one category, such as mystery. This month there is a large display of true crime and another of books about or set in Ireland. Last month, for Valentine's Day, there was a "blind date" display of individual books in decorated paper bags. I didn't pick one up, but a friend did and ended up checking out 3 more books by that same author. Unfortunately, the displays are also there to make room on the shelves - otherwise, for every new book and old one has to be removed from the collection now.

Frybabe

« Reply #5363 on: March 16, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
We've been able to slow down the books removed ever so slightly since we got a few more shelves. Very recently we have been able to separate the Christian Fiction onto their own shelves. It is still categorized as Fiction, but we have enough books and enough reader interest to separate them. The Amish fiction books are especially well used here. The library patrons are very happy with our new DVD shelving too.

Except for Blue Highways, I am pretty much in between books right now. Lots to choose from, including The Forsythe Saga, Catch-22, and The Day of the Jackel.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5364 on: March 16, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
Our local library chooses to also add stickers to the spines to indicate genre...mystery, westerns, romance, "inspirational" (which seems to include what others call Christian Fiction, including the Amish books), sci fi, fantasy, etc.

That helps those who don't use the computer catalog but are "shelf searchers" to find titles that may be shelved as Adult Fictionbut also could be shelved in one of the genre areas.

Our YA's and Children's books are shelved in other areas of the Library.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5365 on: March 16, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
I like the idea of all fiction being shelved together. And the idea of using stickers for genre sounds good also, then i could still skip the sci-fi stickered ones.  ;D Out mystery shelves have exploded over the last decade and it is easier to know where to go for them, but not when there are these haphazard decisions about what goes where.

Jean

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5366 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
From a librarian's point of view, it's hard to decide with some authors.  For example,   is Julie Garwood  or Sandra Brown suspense/mystery or is she general fiction or is she romance?   

At my local library, they're both general fiction.   So, I have to remember to look in the various genre areas to find my favorite authors.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5367 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
A couple years back, our library system did away with "genre" shelving.  It is now ALL ALPHABETICAL by AUTHOR.  The Large Print books are all shelved together however.  Some of the branches used the Stickers showing which Genre, but I think that must have gotten too expensive with all of our branches.  I notice lately they do use stickers for "Espanol" and African-American. The "Espanol" seems to have a small, separate area; about one standard-sized bookshelf.  They are adding to that all the time, since we have a great deal of Spanish speaking patrons. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #5368 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
Jean, I am presently reading the follow up book "The Road to Cardinal Valley" and it is a very good read.

I'll look for that one FlaJeanne.

Frybabe

« Reply #5369 on: March 18, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
I took a break from reading The Boy from Reactor 4, but restarted with the thought that if it didn't "grab" me I would not finish it. It did. When I got back to it, I was able to start seeing connections between the earlier "scenes". It really got interesting when the action shifted to the Ukraine. No one can be trusted, everyone has a price. We are fleeing from Ukraine through Russia with the help of several people who owe favors.  The end appears to be in sight, but there may be another twist or two before it is done.

Some of the action takes place in "the Zone" around Chernobyl. The information about the area, while not extensive, is interesting. Did you know that the government made an effort to kill off everyone's pets because the fur may harbor radioactive contamination? And what is this? They are giving tours there now? http://www.chernobylwel.com/  I knew about the resurgence of wildlife and the ongoing research, but I didn't realize people, not many I hope, still live in the Zone. I never thought about people poaching or scavenging materials that may be "hot" to sell on the black market outside the area. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #5370 on: March 21, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
I finished listening to The Paris Wife. I'm not sure if i liked it or not.  :D. I think if i had been reading the book i wouldn't have been bored to death and may not have finished it, but listening to the reader was like listening to Hadley Hemmingway telling me her story. She is the "narrator" thru most of the book, it is sort of a stream of consciousness.

I didn't like most of these people, or this crowd, even though are there many creative people whose names i know and would think how interesting it would have been to talk with them. They all seemed to be stuck in their teenage years - lusty, drinking, risk taking behaviors. Of course, alcohol may have been the foundation of the other two.  They consumed great amounts of alcohol, seemingly everyday. It appeared they couldn't be together without drinking a lot and it seemed a goal of their gathering to "get tight" and they appeared to not connect the bad behaviors that followed with the alcohol - adultery, physically fighting, car accidents, risky behaviors and, of course, bull fighting. EH, it appears, had a death wish, and was often the initiator of the behaviors.

Although it sounds very negative, as i said in an earlier post, i think it would be a good book for discussion. It made me think about male/female relationships, dynamics in marriages, women subordinating themselves and their interests to support their husbands and the dynamics of this crowd. Of course, there are the Hemmingway books, how they develop from his life. Did you like his books when you first read them or saw the movies? Do you think you would like them now?

So, i didn't like these characters, i think i enjoyed the book and the thoughts it generated. LOL

Jean

salan

« Reply #5371 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »
Jean, I read Paris Wife.  Found it interesting; but can't say that I "enjoyed" it.  A lot of people find that life style romantic; but I don't admire it.  Being artistic doesn't excuse selfish behavior (IMO).
Sally

mabel1015j

« Reply #5372 on: March 22, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
My post should read "if i had been reading the book, i think i WOULD have been bored to death." does that make more sense?  ;D

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #5373 on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
It is NOT fiction, but I do not want to miss anyone in getting the word out.  I have my own copy in my hands of Jimmy Carter's new must read book.  It is an eye opener no one should miss.

A CALL TO ACTION, Women, Religion, Violence, and Power

Steph

« Reply #5374 on: April 09, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
I have heard that Carters latest book is excellent. So I will put it onmy list, but truthfully, reading has been hard for me. No concentration.. just returning..hurray
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #5375 on: April 09, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
Just finished "The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine Beauharnais" by Sandra Gulland. It's the first of a trilogy about Empress Josephine, she just meets Napoleon at the end of this book. It was very well written and very interesting. It seemed to be well researched and even had footnotes and explanations of people and events, even tho it is fiction. I will read the next two.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #5376 on: April 10, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Josephine always interested me, so I will put it on my to be read list.

marjifay

« Reply #5377 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Jean, The Paris Wife sounds interesting and as if it would make a good book for discussion.

Speaking of Hemingway (and I rarely do), the only things written by him that I liked were A MOVEABLE FEAST (a memoir) and his poem "A Clean Well-Lighted Place."

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

nlhome

« Reply #5378 on: April 14, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
I remember enjoying everything I read by Hemingway - but so long ago. I don't know that I would want to reread them at this time of life.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #5379 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
The only three I liked were A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Toils and The Old Man and the Sea - his later stuff just did not catch me at all - I think by then his writing style was not as a new kid on the block - everyone was more casual writing as we really talk with each other and somehow his metaphor's went by me. The only one I would re-read is The Old Man and the Sea
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #5380 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »
I am in the middle of reading an old book called Love Among the Ruins by Warwick Deeping. It is hard to put down, which is not good since I have two library books to get through especially since one is new and is likely to have others waiting to read it.

Love Among the Ruins
is a medieval romance/adventure set sometime after wars involving King Wenceslas (Bohemia), probably sometime after 1389 since there was mention in the book that many of the rebels had fought under him. The place names sound French with Avalon being the only actual place that I can find that was mentioned, Avalon and Avallon. Both are in eastern France, Avalon being a village near Grenoble and Avallon, with pretensions to being the Arthurian Avalon, being farther north. I do like to place the settings of books in some general area and time period.

Here is a blog about the book. It is the only review I could find. It will give you an idea of the author's writing.
https://fillingspaces.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/love-among-the-ruins-by-warwick-deeping/
Deeping sure likes to use color in his descriptions, especially red, green and sable. I had to make use of the dictionary on the abundance of antiquated words, many of which my Kindle didn't have in its' dictionary database. Like the blogger, I intend on seeking out more of Deeping's books.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5381 on: April 15, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »
Last night I went to the launch of a book called The 50 Year Sword by Mark Danielewski.  I - of course - had never heard of him, but I think he must be famous as there were a lot of enthusiastic fans there.  This new book of his can apparently be read in one hour (he recommends that) and has only a few words on each page, as he is into the look and shape of the text as well as its meaning(s).  He has also done elaborate art work on each page, it involved sewing pictures of butterflies then unpicking the stitches and 'remaking' the story.  I think it's called 'experimental fiction'!!  According to my daughter, 'sewn art' is hyper-trendy at the moment (though she seemed far from impressed..)

I'm not sure I understood it, but it was interesting....  The woman beside me kept nodding her head madly every time he made a 'clever' point - maybe you had to be in the Know..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Sword-Mark-Z-Danielewski/dp/1908885998/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397567031&sr=1-1&keywords=the+50+year+sword

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #5382 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
I mistakenly mentioned Hemingway's "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" as a poem.  It was, of course, a short story, available in The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Dana

• ::
« Reply #5383 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
I remember I loved Hemingway's short stories, especially one,  "Across the River and into the Trees", I think it was called.....about camping or being in the woods I believe , but memory is fickle......

Steph

« Reply #5384 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:28 AM »
When young, I loved Hemingway.. Not sure if I could even reread him now.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #5385 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
well memory certainly is fickle.  I looked up across the river and into the trees and it is a whole novel and doesn't sound at all like what I remember.  So scrap that....i swear he did write a great short story about camping though!!!

Tomereader1

« Reply #5386 on: April 15, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »
May I heartily recommend a current fiction novel:  "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry".  The Author's name is Gabrielle Zevin.  For booklovers like us, it is a beautiful read.  A short book, but there is so much there.  It has hilariously funny parts, sad parts, lots of literary references, and a bookstore owner who, in the beginning, is about as irascible and opinated as one can be.  Upon his first meeting with Sales Rep from Knightley Press, Fikry is saying "this is not for me".   She tells him, "I'd like the chance to get to know your tastes".  "Like" he repeats with distaste.  "How about I tell you what I don't like?  I do not like postmodernism, postapocalyptic settings, postmortem narrators, or magic realism.  I rarely respond to supposedly clever formal devices, multiple fonts, pictures where they shouldn't be--basically gimmicks of any kind.  I find literary fiction about the Holocaust or any other major  world tragedy to be distasteful--non fiction only, please. I do not like genre mash-ups a la the literary detective novel or the literary fantasy.  Literary should be literary, and genre should be genre, and crossbreeding rarely results in anything satisfying.  I do not like children's books, especially ones with orphans, and I prefer not to clutter my shelves with young adult.  I do not like anything over four hundred pages or under one hundred fifty pages. I am repulsed by ghostwritten novels by reality television stars, celebrity picture books, sports memoirs movie tie-in editions, novelty items and--I imagine this goes without saying--vampires.  I rarely stock debuts, chick lit, poetry, or translations.  I would prefer not to stock series, but the demands of my pocketbook require me to".  And so on.  This, alone, should guarantee that at least one of us has at least specified one of these criteria in our book choices, or the choices of our book groups!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #5387 on: April 15, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
I see the Goldfinch won the Pulitzer. I just don't have the same taste as judges of prizes. I liked the first third of the book, but then there were about 50 pages of teen age boys getting high. I found that pretty boring. Maybe i've just gotten to "old fogie" (sp?) stage!

MaryPage

« Reply #5388 on: April 15, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
Me, too, Jean.  Me, too.

salan

« Reply #5389 on: April 15, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
I agree with both of you about Goldfinch.  It really got too heavily into drugs for me to enjoy it.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #5390 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
Ah, the judges are into new fiction of the type that we rarely like. The best sellers list is a joke. Anything that has James Patterson as a number 1 is very very weird.

MaryPage

« Reply #5391 on: April 17, 2014, 07:38:40 AM »
To me, one strong indication of "taste" in literature comes before me every time BOOKMARKS magazine arrives at my home and I settle down in my easy chair and look in the back at what was on the Bestseller list decades ago and find I can check off that I read almost every book on there and had a reason to choose not to read the others.

Now cometh the Bestseller list in my daily paper on a weekly basis, not one, but four of them, as they break them up differently these days, and I find some weeks that I possess no desire to read ANY of them!  ME!  One of this world's clan of avid readers.  One who has always wanted to be in the loop of the world of books.  Blimey!

So be it.  I just do not care for trash, and in an inner cubicle of my mind where a shower of thoughts rain down constantly, I cave in and listen to the rather despicable judgment that the vast majority of today's reading public owns no taste.  There are, thank the goddess, no end of excellent writers, but they aren't selling like the trash writers.  Scary stuff to think about!  Where are we going as a species?

Steph

« Reply #5392 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
Our books seem to be dividing in strange ways. We had ebooks, which are really in many cases, books that would never have been published. There are a lot of ebooks that are self done and not very good, but I also have found some interesting stuff. Then the regular published stuff, which divides into new and different and the best sellers.. I simply do not care about authors like the author or Gone Girl.. just flat out hated the book.. I must feel something for someone in a book or it does not hold me..

Frybabe

« Reply #5393 on: April 17, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
I finished Love Among the Ruins yesterday. At a certain point in the book I guessed who the girl was going to end up with, but not how. The two flawed men? Well, one was a married nobleman and the other was a rebel/thief of mysterious background. The ending scene was something of a surprise as was the disclosure of who the rebel really was. Of course, I was kind of rooting for the loser (naturally). It was a book I found hard to put down, even with the exciting new scifi I was reading.

Steph

« Reply #5394 on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »
Pretty sure I read Love among the Ruins.. But some time ago. I was rummagine through my TBR and found the last Maeve Binchy. Was in the mood for gentle and she really fills the bill. It was her last book and published by her estate.

Frybabe

« Reply #5395 on: April 18, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
Just started (in addition to two scifi books) something called Vendetta! or The Story of One Forgotten by Marie Corelli. Writing from South America, the narrator tells a tale that begins in Naples during a Cholera outbreak. Very interesting start. I must be into "melodrama" right now. This is the second book I've read recently that has been criticized for being overly so. I like them anyway.

Steph

« Reply #5396 on: April 19, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
Finished  A week in Winter. Oh to find that sort of hotel..

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5397 on: April 19, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »
I haven't read that one Steph, but I do find Maeve Binchy immensely comforting.  She was a lovely woman.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #5398 on: April 20, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
This last story of hers was a quiet gentle sort of thing. Not so large and complicated as most of hers. But I would love to stay in that sort of guest house. Sounds so very relaxing.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5399 on: April 20, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
I read "A week in Winter" loved it. Now Steph there are such guest houses around. I have over the years stayed in some good one.  I prefer to find them more that staying in Hotels. The best I found were in Ireland. There are some nice ones up in the Lake District of UK.
Will you still be going on your trip?