Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ Pre-discussion

(1/15) > >>

BooksAdmin:

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

You are all invited to join us here on October 1! 
We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, will join us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Do plan to join us.  Matthew assures us that his book can stand alone, even if you haven't read Dickens' novel.

PREDISCUSSION  - Some questions to consider before we begin:

1. Have you ever read Charles Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood?

2. Are you aware of the fact that Dickens died before he completed his mystery?

3. Did the knowledge that Dickens would leave you hanging at the end affect your appreciation for what Dickens had completed before his death?

4. To your knowledge, are there any known documents or recorded conversations that indicate Dickens' intentions for the second half of his novel?

5. Have you read any of the other recent novels that have attempted to complete Dickens' story?

6.  Are you expecting  Matthew Pearl to reveal something about what Dickens was planning his novel,  The Last Dickens?

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

JoanP:
Hello!

This is exciting news - that we will be soon discussing Matthew Pearl's latest literary mystery, "The Last Dickens" - just as we did his two previous novels, "The Dante Club" and "The Poe Shadow." Hopefully he will join us in this discussion as he did in the first two.   I am particularly interested in this one, since Dickens passed away before finishing "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" - leaving us hanging, maddeningly...

You may recall that Matthew is a graduate of Harvard University and Yale Law School. He has also taught literature and creative writing at Harvard University and Emerson College, and has been a Visiting Lecturer in law and literature at Harvard Law School.  I can't think of a better guide to follow the clues Dickens left behind - leading us to some sort of solution to the mystery - if not a definitive one.  

You will probably like to read and discuss Dickens' "Mystery of Edwin Drood" in September - with Maryal and Marcie leading this discussion.  Folks are signing on here - right now.

I keep waiting for someone to come upon some of Dickens'  papers or a clue in the published episodes to help us in our quest.  Who knows?  Maybe it will be you!

If you think you might like to join Andy and me in October, please post here.  We need all the probing minds we can get with this one!

ALF43:
What a wonderful introduction you have given Matthew, Joan.  His last visits here with us were splendid and he was so down to earth, forever challenging our minds and encouraging us to ask many questions.  The research that he did on these novels is outstanding and quite laborious, I would imagine.

I think that it's wonderful that we've so many folks interested in reading the Mystery of Edwin Drood and can then follow up right after that with with Pearl's brilliance.  I say that we jolly well finish ole Charlie's story for him.  Come on in, sit down and tell us of your
interest in reading Matthew's newest novel and help us all solve this mystery..

matthewpearl:
Hi, thanks for choosing the novel and for inviting me along for the ride.

I'll be thrilled to follow along and answer questions or give insights when I can. I've always been impressed by the thoughtful comments and careful readers of members of this community.

You can learn lots about The Last Dickens on my website which is

www.matthewpearl.com

I've also been trying to post more blog entries recently about writing and aspects of my books. I'll try to alert you when one is relevant, but if you want to see some of the entries I have them here (I cross post most entries both on my Facebook author page and Red Room):

http://www.redroom.com/blog/matthew-pearl

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-Pearl-author/29977879540#/pages/Matthew-Pearl-author/29977879540?v=app_2347471856&viewas=13718

Best wishes!

Matthew

ALF43:
Matthew, bless your heart, we are just delighted to have you with us here once again.
We are going to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood in September and then will be ready for your book October 1.  I am certain that we will have a ga-zillion questions for you even as we read Drood.
Thank you so much for the links that you've provided for us and again, it is a pleasure to have you here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version