Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

That Old Cape Magic / Richard Russo ~ November / Pre-discussion

(1/18) > >>

BooksAdmin:

That Old Cape Magic
           by
Richard  Russo                                
From Bookmarks magazine:

Following Bridge of Sighs—a national best seller hailed by The Boston Globe as “an astounding achievement” and “a masterpiece”—Richard Russo gives us the story of a marriage, and of all the other ties that bind, from parents and in-laws to children and the promises of youth.
 The storytelling is flawless throughout, moments of great comedy and even hilarity alternating with others of rueful understanding and heart-stopping sadness, and its ending is at once surprising, uplifting and unlike anything this Pulitzer Prize winner has ever written.

From The Washington Post

Every year, Jack Griffin's parents would drive from the Midwest, where they were both unhappy-to-miserable college professors, to spend two weeks in a rented cottage somewhere on the beautiful island of Cape Cod, Mass., and as they crossed the Sagamore Bridge they would, as if on cue, begin to sing "That Old Cape Magic," their altered version of "That Old Black Magic."

Discussion Leader: Traude  

straudetwo:
WELCOME to our newly proposed discussion of Richard Russo's latest book, That Old  Cape Magic.

Last month,  Russo, the 2002 Pulitzer Prize winner (for Empire Falls), gave a well-attended reading in Sandwich on Cape Cod - affectionately known as The Cape - in loco.

Living as I do within manageable distance from the Cape, I was able to attend.   It was a marvelous evening.
Please join us in a vicarious journey to the fabled island.

JoanP:

--- Quote ---That Old Cape Magic is a novel of deep introspection and every family feeling imaginable, with a middle-aged man confronting his parents and their failed marriage, his own troubled one, his daughter’s new life and, finally, what it was he thought he wanted and what in fact he has.
--- End quote ---

" what it was he thought he wanted and what in fact he has" .

This is  a subject that gets my attention every time.  Have you heard of this Pulitzer Prize-winning author's latest novel?  It sounds like a winner from those who have recommended it to us.  If you think you might like to join us in November, please let us know.  If enough are interested to form a quorum, we can put it on the schedule.

elizabeth84:
I would like to join this discussion.  I just finished reading Russo's Nobody's Fool because I loved the movie and his book was all I could wish.  I'm glad Paul Newman made that film before he died--left at the top of his game.

straudetwo:
Welcome, Elizabeth!  We're so glad you plan on joining us.
It's a safe bet that fans of Richard Russo's previous books will not be disappointed. That Old Cape Magic describes situations in which any of us could (and perhaps) have found ourselves.  We may perhaps also wonder, for example, whether happiness is a place or rather a state of mind.  

However, in order to make this proposed discussion a firm commitment for November, we need a quorum.  Please let us hear from you.  Thank you in advance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version