Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1973951 times)

marjifay

Re: The Library
« Reply #15160 on: May 16, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Kent Haruf's upcoming book, Our Souls at Night, sounds pretty ho-hum to me, Frybabe, and I'm surprised it looks interesting to you.  I bought his Plainsong years ago to read with another group, and it was a DNF for me.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #15161 on: May 16, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
I see this morning that the jury gave the death penalty to that creepy guy who set off that awful bomb during the Boston marathon.  I suppose if anyone deserved it, he did, but I hope that before too long the death penalty is abolished in the United States.  (Not that anyone will most likely agree with me.)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #15162 on: May 16, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
I happen to agree with you.  I am against killing.  All killing.  Killing incites killing, it does not cure any of the ills of mankind.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15163 on: May 16, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
 I think the attitude you speak of - "they should give us" and "we should not have to pay any taxes" - came along when communities and school neighborhoods broke up - I do not know the answer because it was not right the different educational opportunities available based on race but it was the breaking up of neighborhood schools for busing that I see made people angry - they lost what was the cohesive bond that supported everyone in the community - kids that were bused could no longer be part of the after school activities without getting home so late it carved into their free time and time with their family if only to fight with your brother and sisters which is part of growing up.

I do not know the answer and no one did at the time but something had to be done and the old adage of divide and conquer took over so that this carved up the neighborhoods - the concept of elders watching the kids walk home was a safety kids no longer enjoy and that also removed a connection link between age groups - just the added struggle of picking up and bringing kids to school when they missed the bus or as a response to bus behavior or when a Doctor visit had to be scheduled during school hours - all this meant more time for mom's and dad's - then not having a connection to the neighborhood where your child was now going to school and the distance that for some meant driving when they did not have either a vehicle or the money for gas after school meetings to plan events that often involved the entire community all disappeared.

And so yes, better education and more equality learned and accepted by students but at the price of isolation and little to no community conviviality - each man for himself and the feeling your voice does not matter - so here we are 50 years later.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #15164 on: May 17, 2015, 05:28:26 AM »
Well, Marj. Our Souls at Night certainly isn't going to be full of heart pounding thrills and action, that's for sure. It looks rather low key. I think what attracts me is that it features folks our age.

Ah, hah! The single four star on Amazon says the book is mostly dialogue with very little actual plot. Well, that might be a turnoff.

Steph

« Reply #15165 on: May 17, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
I loved Kent. His books explored character and humanity. Not a serious heart pounding plot, but a small gentle caring..
Yes, I do think that busing did damage larger areas community sharing, but I know where I grew up, it simply went from mostly farms to mostly houses and the school grew very fast and had to have elementary and middle schools to accommodate the population. That is why we stopped knowing what was happening..
and I miss seeing children walk to their neighborhood schools. We moved a lot when our sons were small, but the base line for me with a realtor was the elementary school had to be in walking distance.. That way the boys could walk over and in the communities I lived in, they all seemed to have the safe harbor signs in front windows.. Where I live now, there is danger in walking. Too many predators..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #15166 on: May 17, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »
i'm reading Catch Me by Lisa Gardner.  I wish every parent with a small child just learning to read and use a computer could read the part in this book where a detective explains how pedifiles operate on the internet to find children.  They go after mostly boys ages 5 to 9.  They use websites that children like to go to in order to get the child's attention.  Parents think these websites are safe, but they are not!

Marj

Steph

« Reply #15167 on: May 18, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
I am sure there were always pedifiles, but now it seems they come out of every corner.

marjifay

« Reply #15168 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:02 AM »
I think the internet has helped increase the supply of pedifiles, Steph.  According to the detective in Catch Me, there are chat rooms where older pedifiles teach younger men, so inclined, how to operate.

When I was young, about 8 or 10, I walked every Saturday about 2 miles from my home to the movie theater and library in Omaha, Nebraska, all by myself and was never pestered.  I don't think my mom worried about me.

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15169 on: May 18, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
Marj it is not the stranger you have to be concerned about it is the family member - only 25% of all victims of pedophilia are the victims of a stranger - where as 75% are victims of family or a best friend of a family member.  Part of the reason is the thrill for the pedophile of getting away with it and the pre-planning to get the victim alone and how to convince the victim it is a loving act. Where as a stranger is acting like a rapist and that is an expression of their anger rather than power-over.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #15170 on: May 18, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
When i was about 10 or 12, early 50's, my girlfriend and i were walking home from the library which was about a mile from our house, a neighbor was sitting in his car about a block from his house, exposing himself. We told our parents, but i have no idea what happened after that.
We didn't talk about such things in our house.

Steph

« Reply #15171 on: May 19, 2015, 07:27:23 AM »
If at first you don't succeed.. bah.. Could not get blood yesterday, sent home, try again today and drink at least three glasses of water. I am not officially floating. Boo...
I guess I am glad that my sons grew up in the 50's and 70's and got freedom to roam and be in a pack of kids , who could get away from the dreaded parental units.. As I used to be told.

bellamarie

« Reply #15172 on: May 20, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Barb, Your statistics are so correct.  It is the ones closest to you, family and friends who violate your children.  We had a neighbor, was Mr. Handsome, was active in all community activities, our parish, and oh so friendly.  Years later we found out he was put in prison for child molestation.  His wife was my best friend, when we lived in that neighborhood and I could never understand why she would stay cooped up in her house for days.  He was abusing her. They divorced and the small son had to go for visitation with the Dad, and finally spoke up and told the mother he was being molested on the visits.  He is a grown man today and his life has been so messed up due to this.  I knew a family where two uncles were exposing themselves to the young girls in the family.  The internet is of course a new source for pediphiles to interact, and attract children.  We moved to a new neighborhood and a woman who was Miss Congeniality, offered to babysit your children for free, and always wanted playdates with neighbors small kids to come play with her little 3 yr old son.  Found out from her little boy, "Mommy touches me."  I confronted her, reported her, and alerted the neighborhood Moms.

I would NEVER allow my child to walk to school in this day and age.  My grandkids ride their bus to the end of my street, to come for me to watch them after school, and I have my hubby go meet them at their bus.  You just can't be trusting today.

Marj.,  I do not agree with the death penalty either.  I heard even though they gave the Boston bomber the death penalty, he will appeal and it could take up to six years, if ever to actually execute him.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

marjifay

« Reply #15173 on: May 20, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
Iinteresting, Barb, about most pedofiles being family members.  Sounds logical.  Easy opportunity.

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15174 on: May 20, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
Marj that is it - it is not easy opportunity - part of the sickness is mapping out how to manipulate and schedule to get the victim alone and then convince the victim there is nothing wrong with what they did because they are best buds or its their secret - public pedophiles take on the risk of being outed where as the family member or friend of the family is feeing secure that their risk taking is minimal to nil  

Steph

« Reply #15175 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
I do not agree with the death penalty, but I do understand why it is used. The number of prison with no parole, who have gotten out is amazing.. If you are a good boy and convince that powers that be, they will help you get out.. That is wrong.. no parole should mean exactly that.
I have no experience in pedifiles, but had a friend who discovered her husband was abusing one of their daughters. This was in the early 70's, when no one wanted to believe it, so she ran with all four daughters. Stayed hidden until the youngest was 18, then came out and got a divorce.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15176 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
Good thing Steph because as late as the early part of this century if you divorced you were court ordered to allow visiting rights to the husband since the pedophile was not found guilty in court and putting your daughter through that was double indemnity - the lawyer for the pedophile hounded and slammed the child in order to do his job which was to have the pedophile found innocent.

Not only was being on trail traumatic but the conditions were intolerable so that mom's were not going to put their daughters through that and so they had to attempt to teach their daughter how to protect themselves during a visit that never worked - thank God judges became enlightened in the past about 10 years where as earlier, giving up everything, leaving everything that said home and running was your only escape - you could not even make contact with your family for fear of his finding you and the children and then you would be in jail offering no protection to your daughter for not following the court ordered divorce settlement that included visitation rights.     

bellamarie

« Reply #15177 on: May 22, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »
Steph, I totally understand that mother taking her child and running.  My neighbor had no knowledge the ex husband was a pedophile until her son was almost a teen, and finally spoke up.  All those years she forced her son to go for the visitations scheduled, for fear of him taking her to court.  Her son would cry and beg not to go, but he never said why he never wanted to go. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Steph

« Reply #15178 on: May 23, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »
Yes, I think Kathy was brave as could be. The girls are all grown and married and have no contact with  Dad whatsoever. Am home in Franklin. Tired,back screaming, but car unloaded. groceries purchased.About half put away.. Will work more tomorrow. Half of one of the crepe myrtles seems dead.. Sigh. I don't like them, but I also know I need to get someone in to take care of it. Darn..

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15179 on: May 23, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »
Glad you arrived safely, Steph - if tired and sore.   :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #15180 on: May 24, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
safe and sound. Daisy is an unhappy dog. She does not like change and this is not her stamping ground. We walked and there were no other dog walkers, which upset her.. She is clingy.. Am sure she will adjust.. Doing nothing just now,, still trying to finish the Lynda LaPlant book. She does go on and on.

bellamarie

« Reply #15181 on: May 24, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
Take it easy Steph, Daisy will acclimate, in time.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND ALL!!!!

marjifay

« Reply #15182 on: May 24, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
I remember when Memorial Day was called "Decoration Day,"  a day to decorate the graves of your loved ones (not just veterans).  Does anyone else remember it being called by that name?

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #15183 on: May 24, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
What was the name of the Lynda LaPlante book you are trying to finish, Steph?  I'd never heard of that author. 

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15184 on: May 24, 2015, 02:01:13 PM »
Yes, but it was in January and after Martin Luther King Jr's birthday became a holiday it went by the boards since Decoration day was a couple of days after. Its only since then that we celebrate Memorial Day - for us it had been the last day of school but I think they go another week.

Big time flooding west and south of us and some small flooding in Austin - in two months the lakes have come up for being only 38% full to now being 65% full - they even had to open the flood gates on the one lake. It is reminding everyone of that awful 1981 flood here in Austin - cars tumbling down streams, streets small rushing rivers and lakes, even my house nearly at the top of a Mesa had over a foot of water in the garage that we had, thank goodness, sacks of cement mix in the garage that we dragged to the Kitchen door and let the water go through from garage out the back through the laundry room - I have had to shovel and pickax last night the area along the front of the porch to make sure the water goes around and down the incline to the side yard as it is supposed to - but it is coming so fast if fills up and that is when I risk another garage full. Well I am getting my exercise.

marjifay

« Reply #15185 on: May 24, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
I really must stop putting books on my library hold list.  They all seem to be ready about the same time and then also come due at the same time, many before I've had a chance to read them.  Just paid a $12.50 fine yesterday for overdue books - ridiculous!

Marj

CallieOK

« Reply #15186 on: May 24, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »
Marj,  two or three days before my e-books from the library are due to be returned,  I get a notice asking if I want to renew them (unless they're on hold for someone else).  If not - and the due date comes, they simply disappear.  Voila!  No overdues!!!   Love it!

We're being inundated with rain like Barb is - along with a few tornadoes thrown in for excitement.   Almost all of the Oklahoma lakes that were practically empty from a 4-year drought are full or almost full.  Several have had to open spillways into creeks or rivers that feed the lake, which creates flooding conditions downstream.  Last night,  one of the t v stations showed two kayakers paddling along an OKC street.

I'm currently reading the e-book of Ken Follett's "Wings of Eagles" and enjoying it because, at the time Ross Perot was trying to get his employees out of Iran, I wasn't paying attention to serious matters like that.

Also have a couple of "fluff" novels to break the thought-provoking read. 

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15187 on: May 24, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »
I remember when Memorial Day was called "Decoration Day,"  a day to decorate the graves of your loved ones (not just veterans).  Does anyone else remember it being called by that name?

marjifay...Yep, it was Decoration Day on May 30 when I was in elementary school.
And, it was (and is) for my family to make sure the pots with live geraniums and ivy or spikes are on the graves of family members.

I know that our Veterans' Services almost always include Logan's Orders where he decreed that May 30 was "Decoration Day."  

Barb...I don't know of any "Decoration"  holiday in January.  Maybe that was a southern thing?  There's be far too much snow, ice and cold up north here to decorate anything in January...except with snowmen, maybe.  :)

Yep...found this:  for January 19th...."Confederate Memorial Day, also known as Confederate Decoration Day (Tennessee) and Confederate Heroes Day (Texas), is an official holiday and/or observance day in a number of states in the Southern United States as a day to honor those who died fighting for the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Memorial_Day

Cold, wet day here in the upper midwest.  

jane

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15188 on: May 24, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
I've lived in Texas and Tennessee all but the first 7 years of my life, and I've never heard of a Confederate Decoration Day in January.  The only one I've ever heard of is Memorial Day on 30 May (until they changed it to the last Monday in May).  Also my family never had a tradition of decorating graves of family members.  And they're all native Texans.  Interesting.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #15189 on: May 24, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Yes, Jane, I KNEW it used to be Decoration Day and that it was always on May 30.  Now I read that it's the last Monday in May.  But that's not the way it used to be. I told my son it couldn't be Monday because Monday will be May 25, not May 30.   It always WAS May 30.  Thanks.  Now I know I remembed it right.

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #15190 on: May 24, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
Yes, Callie, I also read Ken Follett's On Wing's of Eagles, a very interesting true story about Ross Perot and his friends rescuing the members of their company from the Iranians.  I never paid much attention to Perot when he ran for president, but I sure would have had I known what he did.  That little guy really had "guts" and took good care of his people.

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15191 on: May 24, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »
Given to us yesterday at my friend Charlotte's Memorial 1919 - 2015 reprinted from her framed collection of quotes

Decide to Network

Decide to network
Use every letter you write
Every conversation you have
Every meeting you attend
To express your fundamental beliefs and dreams
Affirm to others the vision of the world you want
Network through thought
Network through action
Network through love
Network through the spirit
You are the center of the world
You are a free, immensely powerful source
of life and goodness
Affirm it
Spread it
Radiate it
Think day and night about it
And you will see a miracle happen:
the greatness of your own life.
In a world of big powers, media, and monopolies
But of six billion individuals
Networking is the new freedom
the new democracy
a new form of happiness.

Robert Muller

Steph

« Reply #15192 on: May 25, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »
Confederate Decoration Day.. in 1959 it was celebrate in South Carolina,because I had never heard of it and got teased as one of "those Yankees". We went to the cemetery on May 30th, just to make sure all was well. cleaning up the area around the graves. No flowers though. I have read a lot of books over the years that talked of the custom especially in the south of taking a picnic and meeting others in the local cemetaries and making a day of cleaning the graves, etc.
Linda La Plante.. English author does procedurals and had a series on PBS  "Prime Suspect". The book I finally finished last night was   Wrongful Death. Interesting but a bit on the drawn out side.

MaryPage

« Reply #15193 on: May 25, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
I remember Decoration Day very well indeed.  And yes, it was always May 30th.  In Sunday School, we made little baskets out of construction paper and put a few real flowers in them and two by two our teachers walked us from our church across the street and down the hill and then up the hill to Greenhill Cemetery to decorate the graves.  I do not remember any mention of "Confederate" with the day.  This was in Virginia, too.

MaryPage

« Reply #15194 on: May 25, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »
REMEMBER
SOMEBODY DIED
SO THAT YOU COULD SEE THE SKY TODAY
SOMEBODY DIED
AT VALLEY FORGE
AT GETTYSBURG
AT THE SOMME
IN THE D-DAY LANDING
IN KOREA
IN VIET NAM
IN IRAQ
IN AFGHANISTAN
SOMEONE'S MOTHER SOBBED
BUT YOU SEE THE SKY TODAY
BECAUSE SOMEONE'S EYES CLOSED FOREVER.
REMEMBER THEM
AND FLY THE FLAG THEY LOVED.
MaryPage M. Drake

marjifay

« Reply #15195 on: May 25, 2015, 11:23:50 AM »
MaryPage, I think it's very sad that all those men died.  Too many wars.  I suppose they will go on and on.  But not with my blessing.

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #15196 on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:44 AM »
Callie, you are lucky to have a library like that.

I wish we here in California could have some of your rain!  Not the tornados, though, just the rain.  I think tornados are more frightening than our occasional earthquakes. 

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #15197 on: May 25, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »
I think I'll pass on Linda LaPlante's Wrongful Death, Steph, as you seem to have taken a rather long time to read it and said it was a bit too drawn out.  It got only 3 stars at Amazon, and, as I said before, I've so many books on my TBR list that I don't read a book unless it sounds interesting and gets at least 4+ or more stars from Amazon readers.  I'll look for a LaPlante book that got more Amazon stars.

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15198 on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »
Its bad - here is a live-stream KXAN weather - so far I am OK another round and I do not know and we now have tornadoes dropping down.

http://kxan.com/live-stream/

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15199 on: May 25, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
Good grief, Barb.  Keep safe, and keep us posted.