Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870455 times)

MaryPage

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #7280 on: March 31, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.  It seems like only yesterday, last week at the most, that I read and enjoyed Designated Daughters.  I do so love the Deborah Knott series.  I have put this latest on My Wish List at Barnes & Noble.

Steph

« Reply #7281 on: April 01, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »
hmm, went to doctor yesterday to see what is going on with the back of my knee. Her opinion ( I am going tomorrow for ultra sound and xrays) is that I have a
Bakers Cyst.. Never heard of it, so I am reading up on it. Very strange kind of thing.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #7282 on: April 01, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
Bakers Cysts are apparently fairly common.  I know my SIL had one and then she learned from others that they'd had them as well. 

Steph

« Reply #7283 on: April 02, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »
yes, I mentioned it at lunch yesterday with someother women and all sorts of them either had had one or had a relative that did. One had surgery because the pain was overwhelming, Mine is more of a nag after the first few days,

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7284 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
Am presently reading Simon Brett's  latest Fethering mystery "The Tomb in Turkey".  Carol and Jude go on a vacation together to Turkey.  Carol is as usual a study of contradictions and Jude as usual her easy going friend and neighbor.  The setting for this mystery is different and I am enjoying a visit with these two characters once again, although at times I would love to give Carol a good shaking.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7285 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:40 PM »
FLAJEAN: thanks for mentioning the Brett. I like that series and forget to look for new ones. Click, click. I've got it on my kindle!

I've been reading books by G.M. Malliet.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/g-m-malliet/

I've read all the Max Tudor mysteries (cozies about an English clergyman in a small town who keeps getting involved in murders) and am reading the St. Just ones (procedurals: a policeman in Cambridgeshire). Rather simple, straightforward good mysteries.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7286 on: April 02, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
Joan, I finished my "Fethering" book and Carol did mellow out towards the end. :). I sure would like to try some of that Turkish cuisine mentioned in the book---sounded delicious.

Steph

« Reply #7287 on: April 03, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
Turkey does not rank high on my to be visited list..but the food can be wonderful.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7288 on: April 03, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
I've started the book, and I see what you mean about Carol. She is sooo much like a friend of mine.The series alternates between Carol acting scatty in HER way and Jude acting scatty in HER way,  but they always pull it together enough in the end to solve the mystery.

Have to qualify my praise of the Malliet mysteries. the last one  read ("Death at the Alma mater") had the most improbable solution I've ever seen. It would never have worked for a second! Some of Agatha Christies are like that, but we're ready to forgive Dame Agatha almost anything.

Steph

« Reply #7289 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »
Picked up a J. A. Jance mystery that has both Beaumont and Brady.. Light, a bit gruesome, but good.

Tomereader1

« Reply #7290 on: April 04, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
I am currently reading, for my Mystery Book Club, "The Black Echo" by Michael Connelly.  I believe it was his first Harry Bosch novel, and it is, IMHO, one of the BEST detective novels I have ever read!  I just love the character, Harry Bosch.  Amazon currently has the series "Bosch" which you can watch on your computer, and I had no idea that they started that series in 2014. So there's quite a bit to view.  I have watched several of that first season, and plan to watch all the rest.  They picked an actor that fits exquisitely into the role of Bosch.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #7291 on: April 05, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
Oh I love Harry. The books are such a joy.. An excellent writer who created a truly remarkable character.

JoanK

• BooksDL

MaryPage

« Reply #7293 on: April 06, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
OK! OK!  I cannot recall having ever read a Michael Connelly, so I ordered the first four (4) books in the Harry Bosch series from ThriftBooks yesterday and will have a look at what apparently several of you have hugely enjoyed.  Thanks!

Steph

« Reply #7294 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
Harry is a fascinating character. The author does such a good job of making him human. His back stories are always fascinating and his detective work is outstanding. I think you will like him. I wish they would do a tour in Hollywood and that area to take you to all the places he talks of in the books.

marjifay

« Reply #7295 on: April 09, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »
I agree with you, Tomereader, about Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch mysteries.
I read Black Echo some time ago and was surprised at how good it was for his first Bosch mystery.  Harry Bosch is my favorite detective, but I just wish he'd quit smoking.  I just finished THE CONCRETE BLONDE, a bit long at almost 600 pages, but also very good.  About a serial killer dubbed "The Dollmarker" because he uses makeup owned by the women he kills to paint garrish smiling faces on them.  The story keeps you turning pages and wondering who the killer is (they suspect one of their own cops). 
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #7296 on: April 10, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
Harrys marriage ( later in the books) was complicated, but he adores his daughter and shows a much gentler side where she is concerned.

serenesheila

« Reply #7297 on: April 13, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »
I have never read any of the "Harry" books.  So. O ordered the "Echo" book.  The begging of this book is a bit rougher than I  like.

Tomereader1

« Reply #7298 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
serenesheila, you will find most of these books have "rougher" spots in them.
I think, if I remember correctly, it is specifically "dark" in "The Concrete Blonde".  Is that correct, Steph?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #7299 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »
All of them are rough in different ways, but the Concrete Blonde is not a good place to start since it is gruesome in a few parts. However he never uses this as the theme of the book.. Watch and listen to Harry.. See what a good policeman should be and do..See how foolish can a strong man be when he falls in love.

Tomereader1

« Reply #7300 on: April 14, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »

See what a good policeman should be and do.

Wonderfully put, Steph!  I just love that he never gives up on finding the miscreant!

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #7301 on: April 15, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
I really like Harry.. I would guess it shows.

MaryPage

« Reply #7302 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:17 PM »
Well, the first 4 books in the Harry series have arrived at my house from Thriftbooks, and have been put in the stacks for reading.  I'll be sure to let you know what I think when I get around to them one of these fine days.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #7303 on: April 16, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
Wow!!  Miss a few days here and you get enough recommended mysteries to last you a year or more.

Mabel/Jean, the Lisa Scollitini Keep Quiet sounds terrific and I'll probably purchase the Kindle version.  The book must have two different publishers and Amazon is selling books from both -- with different prices.

And a new Margaret Maron -- one of my favorite writers.  And lots more to investigate -- have read little Simo Brett or Malliet.

I'm in the middle of a recent (2014) Ruth Rendell -- The Girl Next Door  -- hard to put down.  We first learn of a murder that takes place during the early days of WWII in a small British village. But nobody knows there has been a murder, life goes on and when the second chapter begins all the village children, playmates in their early age, are now grandparents and great-grandparents, still unaware of the murderer, who is still alive.

Tomereader1

« Reply #7304 on: April 16, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
"The Girl Next Door" was a good read.  Hope you enjoy it.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7305 on: April 16, 2015, 05:24:59 PM »
I love it when a book I pre-ordered shows up on my kindle, when I had forgotten all about it. That happened with a new Aunt Dimity the other day: "Aunt Dimity and the Summer King" by Nancy Atherton. Unfortunately, it's slight, not up to some of her others. I think she's running out of material. but she does introduce a new quirky character.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/nancy-atherton/

Steph

« Reply #7306 on: April 17, 2015, 08:08:42 AM »
I like Ruth Rendell and forget about her. Have to check out the book.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7307 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »
The Girl Next Door sounds intriguing.  Will look for that at my library.

Just finished a good mystery by Linda Castillo "The Dead Will Tell".  It was her latest in a series about a female police chief  (brought up Amish).  I hadn't read the previous books in the series, but it was mostly about the mystery so not hard to catch up with her personal life. 
Now reading a cozy by Vanetta Chapman "Murder Tightly Knit -An Amish Village Mystery". This is the first book I've read by her and so far so good.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7308 on: April 17, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
The Amish mysteries sound intriguing. here is Castillo:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/linda-castillo/

I see there are 6 other books.

And here is Chapman.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/vannetta-chapman/

I enjoy the "Appleseed creek" mysteries by Amanda Flower: a village in Amish country.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/amanda-flower/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7309 on: April 17, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
I see by looking at ff that there's a new Appleseed Creek book out. I haven't worked out a system for keeping up with new books of authors I like. How do you all do it?

Steph

« Reply #7310 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
I have read four of the Castillo books. Interesting and done quite well. I will look for the new one.

MaryPage

« Reply #7311 on: April 18, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
I do not toe the line and keep perfect records, Joan, but I do have lists on my WORD, saved by author's name, of those I have read so that I can refer to these to check whether or not I have read a book that someone mentions or I read something about or see an advertisement for.  I also print these out occasionally and keep in a real file in my real filing cabinets under the title BOOKS.  Hey, there's an easy one! 
Finally, I keep a WISH LIST offered by Barnes & Noble to its membership.  Once upon a time I was much more rigidly organized, but now that we have computers and Google and I can write in "list DCI Banks books by Peter Robinson," for instance, and receive an instant and up to date listing IN ORDER.  Life is good, and I find I am not nearly as obsessed by perfection in these matters as once I was!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7312 on: April 18, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
I have the web sites of my most favorite authors bookmarked, and I periodically check them to see if they have new books coming out.  My library always list the books they have on order so I am usually able to get on a reserve list before the books arrive in the library.  I use to be more organized with lists, etc., but have gotten lazy in old age.  :D  I have two bookcases full and try not to buy any, but I will occasionally get a book with a gift coupon or buy if something special.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #7313 on: April 18, 2015, 10:21:47 AM »
I also check websites and esp. the ones that have a release calendar and show what books are being released when by which authors.  FictFact has such a calendar.  As I'm sure you all know, Tuesday is the day when the vast majority of books are released.  I also keep track of my series, of which I have hundreds, there:

http://www.fictfact.com/BookReleaseCalendar

In addition, I keep a list of books coming out by publ. date of my favorite, "always buy" authors on my IPAD with Evernote.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7314 on: April 18, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
Jane, that is a very good link.  Thanks.  My DIL also uses Evernote.  I downloaded it but just haven't given it a try.

Tomereader1

« Reply #7315 on: April 18, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »
One of my Mystery Book Club members had, awhile back, suggested Cara Black, with her mysteries in various locales in France.  So.  Thrift Books just had a buy 5, get the 6th free, and free shipping. I opted to buy the first 6.
We shall see if I like them or not!  I know MaryPage has probably read her.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #7316 on: April 19, 2015, 09:06:11 AM »
Tomereader, I have not read a single one of those, but have the first five (5) on my shelves.  Someone somewhere here in SeniorLearn mentioned them a year or so ago, and one of my daughters is a High School French teacher who spent her junior year of college at the Sorbonne and has gone back countless times (she will turn 60 in June and her daughter is planning a huge party), so I just had to buy them for her.  I googled the list and ordered most of them from Thriftbooks and the rest from Barnes & Noble.  Had them all sent directly to her.  She is one of those who thinks Paris is the epitome of what the world should emulate.  As I understand it, there is one book for each section or arrondissement of Paris, and there are twenty (20) of these.  She is passing them to me to read as she finishes them.  Her comments so far are that she loves the details about Paris, but does not care for the violence.  Debi is not really into mysteries!
The wonders of technology ever multiply!  Barnes & Noble has taken to emailing me when an author I have purchased from them previously come out with a new book!  Loverly!

Steph

« Reply #7317 on: April 19, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
I bought the first four in the Cara Black series. I love the descriptions of the various areas, but I do agree that they are quite violent..best in small doses.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7318 on: April 19, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
Wow! I am humbled by your organization!

Reading a book by Laura Child, who writes the "teashop" mysteries. This is in the "Cockleberry Club" series. The narrator runs a teashop that is also a bookstore and knitting store. Sounds great, but she's so busy describing the wonderful food that nothing is happening with the plot.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/laura-childs/

Steph

« Reply #7319 on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
At least she is not telling you everything they wear and where they bought it.