Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012  (Read 150042 times)

dean69

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2012 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

April 15, 2012
      The Mystery of Edwin Drood
      An adaptation and completion of Charles Dickens' last novel left unfinished at the halfway mark at his death, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood is a psychological thriller about a provincial choirmaster's obsession with 17-year-old Rosa Bud and the lengths he will go to to attain her. Cast includes Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters) and Julia MacKenzie (Miss Marple).

COMING

April 22 & 29, 2012 at 9pm
      Birdsong
      An adaptation of Sebastian Faulk's novel about lovers torn apart by World War I. Eddie Redmayne (The Pillars of the Earth) plays Stephen Wrayford, whose pre-war affair with Isabelle Azaire (Clemence Poesy, Harry Potter films) has an enduring effect on him as he fights in the trenches.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

April 1 & 8, 2012
      Great Expectations
      Widely considered one of the greatest novels by Charles Dickens, Great Expectations tells the story of Pip the battered orphan boy, who rises from blacksmith's apprentice to gentleman under the patronage of a mysterious benefactor, who assures him of "great expectations." Starring Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Ray Winstone.

February 26, 2012
One 90-minute episode
     The Old Curiosity Shop
     A teenage girl and her grandfather lose everything to a maniacal moneylender and flee his relentless pursuit. Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius) stars as Grandfather, with Sophie Vavasseur (Northanger Abbey) as Nell and Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Quilp.

January 8 to February 19, 2012
      Downton Abbey Season 2
      Downton Abbey season 2 resumes the story of aristocrats and servants in the tumultuous World War I era. The international hit is written by Julian Fellowes and stars Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern, and Hugh Bonneville, plus a drawing room full of new actors, portraying the loves, feuds, and sacrifices of a glittering culture thrown into crisis. Watch all episodes online through March 6 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Primetime Emmy Award® winning Downton Abbey season one returns December 18 & 25, 2011 and January 1, 2012. (Check local listings.)

Please add my name to the list of the PBS giveaways.  Thanks.

Cassidy

« Reply #441 on: March 11, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
Please add my name to PBS giveaway - Great Expections.

Tomereader1

« Reply #442 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »
Please add my name also. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »
My PBS station is showing a Great Performances tonight: Tony Bennett Duets II.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #444 on: March 11, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
About the only show on channels other than PBS that I enjoy is the Good Wife - why they moved it to Sunday night at 8: I cannot figure out - it was nicely placed late on Tuesday - the content you would think they would have at least switched it to Sunday at 9: but it appears they must be aware their audience in the Sunday night PBS crowd because they did not run but one episode during this recent Downton Abby series and so now I can enjoy the Good Wife for a couple of weeks till PBS gets back to it usual lineup. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:45 PM »
Marcie, i think I have seen that Tony Bennett programme and it was really good - if it's the one I'm thinking of it has the duet with Amy Winehouse recorded shortly before her death.

Rosemary

Dana

• ::
« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
I guess as a non Dickens fan I am a bit behind the times here, but since the end of Dowton Abbey my husband and I watched again Gosford Park and from that got into Ivor Novello and the music from between the wars.  So many musicals, and so lyrical, a bit dramatic  by today's standards perhaps, but such an antidote to all that ghastly beat  (nothing wrong with a little beat.....but.....).  I remember my mum and dad singing these songs around the house, and it is really poignant to listen to them now because people of my age are probably the youngest alive with a direct connection to those times if only via the songs.....You Are My Heart's Delight, Rosemarie, Girls Are Made to Love and Kiss,  Waltz of my Heart, Chiribiribin.....Deanna Durbin, Richard Tauber, Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald, Webster Booth.  Musicals--The Desert Song, The Chocolate Soldier, The Night is Young, The merry Widow, The Dancing years etc, etc. etc.
Add to this A Dance to the Music of Time and presently I am immersed in the early 20th century!!

dean69

« Reply #447 on: March 12, 2012, 02:17:41 AM »
Please add my name to the PBS giveaway.  Thanks.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »
Me too. :) I'm enjoying at the moment A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh which was on  Rosemary Kay's list of books to read of the period, and happened to come first in the mail. It's quite different and I really like it, I'm just getting into it but what vacuous lives the upper crust had and lived. It's fascinating, it really is.

For my birthday I got The World of Downton Abbey,  with a subtitle of the Secrets and History Unlocked,  which is a lovely book, large, and full of photos, by Jessica Fellowes,  forward by Julian  Fellowes, the author of the series,  which has been mentioned here before. It's a perfect gift for somebody who likes the series and I'm enjoying it very much.  Lots about the facts and history and behind the scenes stuff.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
Rosemary, yes Tony Bennett's Duets II has Amy Winehouse  in it. It also has Willie Nelson (age 78) singing with Bennett (85). See http://www.amazon.com/Duets-II-Tony-Bennett/dp/B0052GACNM

Dana, I love musicals too. I periodically watch Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers and others.

Ginny, that book about Dowton Abbey sounds great. I'm going to have to look for the Handful of Dust book too. Thanks for mentioning it again.

Dana

« Reply #450 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
yes Ginny that's EXACTLY what I keep thinking--what vacuous lives the upper crust seem to have led--it's what puts me off A Dance to the Music of Time, actually, but now I'm into the writing which is very clever, but I can only read a little at a time for that very reason, it gets kind of boring, like reading a beautifully written gossip column about people who don't exist...

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #451 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
I watched the Movie "Frankie" last night.  Think it has been around for awhile.  I enjoyed it.  Looked like it was filmed around the Glasgow Dock area.  Still look rough.

mabel1015j

« Reply #452 on: March 12, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
If you are a Micheal Finestein fan, an American Songbook fan, or saw the show of PBS, you may enjoy this site. I placed it in "Music, Music, Music" in Seniors and Friends, but i think some of you don't go there, so here 'tis.

http://www.michaelfeinsteinsamericansongbook.org/

If you click on any of the pictures, you can get info about the songs, the performers, the composers and on each of those links you can listen to some of the songs by either the "recordings" or "the great songs" links.

Enjoy!

Jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: March 12, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
Thanks for posting the American Songbook site, Jean. The program was great and I enjoy Michael Feinstein's singing/piano playing.

Babi

« Reply #454 on: March 13, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
 Things have changed since the two world wars, I believe.  Many of the 'upper crust' now struggle
to keep their large old homes viable,  and many have been unable to do so.  The life of idle ease
is pretty much a thing of the past for most of them.  Today's 'idle ease' group appear to be
mostly the too-rich younger generation, who break their boredom by getting into scrapes while
their fathers are heavily invested in making and keeping their wealth.  Some of the mothers
imitate the former wealthy aristocrats, while others are busy professionals themselves.
  Little changes in life, only the players.  8)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
yes Ginny that's EXACTLY what I keep thinking--what vacuous lives the upper crust seem to have led--it's what puts me off A Dance to the Music of Time, actually, but now I'm into the writing which is very clever, but I can only read a little at a time for that very reason, it gets kind of boring, like reading a beautifully written gossip column about people who don't exist...

That's A Handful of Dust (was just talking about the issues in it in the Library) in a nutshell. It's a Capote-esque sort of experience so far. One has the feeling that Waugh knows these people intimately and has somewhat disguised them despite the disclaimers, and I guess that's what's so maddening about it,  or one of the things anyway. Perhaps as it goes, if I can mange to avoid throwing the book across the room in anger at the stupidity of the characters's vapid actions, I'll see the famous  sardonic wit.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Dana

« Reply #456 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »
yes well, there are lists
telling who the characters in "A dance to the music of time" represent in real life.  But who knows if true, and a lot of them I don't know about anyway and in any case, it's all so long ago, who cares....but, the writing is clever...sort of reminds me of my feelings about Jane Austin whose writing is superlative, understanding of character rivals Shakespeare's, but stories are trivial....and irritating (imo.....)

mabel1015j

« Reply #457 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
Our second PBS station is just now showing Downton Abbey, so i get to see it again and they are now showing " The Story of the Costume Drama". It is great!

Jean

Babi

« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
 Jane Austen's books are not stories of major and important events, DANA.  They are simply
stories of people in another era, written in a way that immerses you in the time and place and
gives you a feel for what those times were like.  The characters could be your own friends, or
even family, and they are seen so much more clearly in Miss Austen's thoughtful hands.  And
I find I care about the outcomes. Jane Austen is a great favorite of mine.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #459 on: March 15, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
To me, Jane Austen is incomparable and she remains my favorite author after all these many years.

Did you hear the cast of Downton Abbey was at the White House dinner for the Prime Minister of Great Britain last night?

Babi

« Reply #460 on: March 16, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
 Really?  Downton Abbey was a British film, right?  How did it happen that the cast was in
America and attended a White House dinner, I wonder?  How curious.

CallieOK

« Reply #461 on: March 16, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »
I saw a news story on the White House dinner that showed the American actress who played the character Lady Cora in "Downton Abbey" as a guest.  However, no other cast member was mentioned.

Babi

« Reply #462 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »
 That would make more sense, CALLIE.  Thanks for soothing my curiosity bump.  ;)

CallieOK

« Reply #463 on: March 16, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »
Just read elsewhere that Hugh Bonneville was also a guest at the White House dinner.  I'm not at all surprised that "Downton Abbey" actors were included.  The British PM may like the program, too.   :)

MaryPage

« Reply #464 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
Our local Washington, D.C. television news said:  "Guests included the cast of Downton Abbey."  And I saw at least 3 shown in evening clothes attending the dinner.  They were, of course, officially invited guests and the guest list is made up by the State Department Office of Protocol and the White House.  I have no idea how many of the cast were actually invited, nor do I know how many attended.  There is an official list of attendees in The Washington Post on the day after any official state dinner, but I failed to read this one.  Will see if I can find it on line.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #466 on: March 16, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »
That was quite a mix of interesting people.  I think just to many. That I can never understand.  Sort of like saying "Lets have a big party and get it over with for the year".
You always find people get into their own little groups when a big turnout like that.  Just don't mix.
Would have been nice to have been invited.

CallieOK

« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
MaryPage,  thank you for that link.   I enjoy reading about White House entertainments - and never know where to look for them.   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #468 on: March 16, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
Wow can you imagine being one of those invited teachers or the young Military Mom raising four and having a chance to meet and chat with and learn more about their world from Lionel Barber, to the owner and CEO of Trilogy to Warren Buffet to a British actor to George Clooney who was arrested today outside the Sudan Embassy in D.C. - wow - there would be no way to shake hands and chat with more than 10 of these folks but what a treat for all of them at that dinner as they make more contacts and learn from each other about a world not only different than their own but a contact they may see how to call on for assistance in the future. Wow - my mind is reeling - I never realized before since this is the first I have ever seen a guest list for a White House dinner - thanks for posting it...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #469 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »
One of the perks of living in the Washington, DC metropolitan area is that The Washington Post, plus all of the many papers we USED to have that have died along the way as so many newspapers have now, and the radio and television carry a lot about these State Dinners.  The President is required to have a number every year, and always when a Head of State pays our country a visit.  They are fascinating.

There are always the Head of State and family members who accompanied and the top personal from the pertinent local embassy and other important embassy people from other countries who live on embassy row here and x number of congress and senators and x number of movie stars to dazzle the important political guests and x number of big money contributors and x number of just plain famous, such as Bill Gates who is very much so although none of the above.  And yes, it has always fascinated me to read the lists.  I remember well that every time the Carters hosted a State Dinner, Miss Amy Carter was on the list.  A GREAT set of memories for her!  The story goes that she often brought a book to table!  The set up is usually, although not always, round tables of ten.  Dress is always formal.

MaryPage

« Reply #470 on: March 16, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
My very favorite part of State Dinners, though, has never been the people, clothes or entertainment.  It has always been the table settings;  i.e., decorations and themes, and the MENU!

I was SO gratified and also felt sad and nostalgic (I get very homesick for my Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Mountains) to see dessert this week at our nation's State Dinner for the Prime Minister of Great Britain included Newtown Pippin apples.  The Newtown Pippin was discovered first in my own home town of Stephens City, Virginia back when it was known as Newtown.  Unfortunately, Stephens City had 436 residents when I was a school child, and no one ever thought to stake our claim.  Some place in Long Island hit the history books;  but we know better.  When we had a High School, which had right next to it in the same school yard the Elementary School, which was only first through seventh grades (no 8th grade at all), the name of our yearbook was the Newtown Pippin.  I don't believe my home town has had its own school since sometime in the sixties or seventies.

MaryPage

« Reply #471 on: March 16, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
Many of the ingredients for the menu, which was called a Winter Harvest Dinner, were grown in the White House Kitchen garden and harvested on the day of the dinner.
The dinner was served in a tent which erected and lavishly decorated for the occasion.
Course one: Crisped halibut with potato crust, served on bed of braised baby kale from White House garden, shaved Brussels sprouts and micro cabbage sprouts with hint of applewood smoke bacon from local smokehouse
Salad course: Spring garden lettuces with shallot dressing and shaved radish, cucumbers and avocados
Main course: Bison wellington, using buffalo tenderloin, red wine reduction, French beans, cipollini onion
Dessert: Warm meyer-steamed lemon pudding with Idaho huckleberry sauce with Newtown pippin apples.
American wine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2115161/White-House-state-dinner-British-stars-come-force-join-Cameron-Obama.html#ixzz1pJJrlYXQ

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #472 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
Fabulous - thank you so much for sharing - what an opportunity for those in attendance...

CallieOK

« Reply #473 on: March 16, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
Loved the pictures and write up of the dinner - as well as the pix/writeup of Kate/Charles/Camilla doing an art project with young children at a school.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #474 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
If your name is on the following list, you are one of the lucky recipients of the 150th Anniversary Edition of Great Expectation.  To receive your copy, please email your name and mailing address to JoanP  at: jonkie@verizon.net.  Don't send any postage until you receive your book.  The amount will be stamped on the mailing envelope.    Thanks!  And congratulations!

Adoannie
Barbara StAubrey
Betty Smith
Cassidy
dean69
Frybabe
JoanR
judeS
Tomereader

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #475 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »
Holy Hannah maybe my luck is changing - I have had so many things stolen from me in the past year that I thought I had a target on my back and on my house that only certain people could see - this is absolutely grand - thanks so much - I am really taking this as an omen - you have no idea how my trust in others has been broken - once or twice but 4 times and with folks I had in my home - ouch - so this is an Irish luck charm since this is St Patrick's Day that this news was shared - I may even paint my front door green to further this lucky omen.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: March 18, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »
Congratulations to all who are recipients of the book!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
Yes, congratulations, All! It's SO much fun to win something, no matter what it is, much less Dickens in this celebratory year! Puts a boost in your day!

I'm really getting uncomfortable with A  Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh, which supposedly does mirror the times and issues of Downton Abbey.  Instead of finding it hilarious and clever, I can barely force myself to read it (about 1/2 way thru).  Is it the different times we lie in or our different understanding of things? How can I not see the humor? (I've found one really funny bit so far).

It's quite poignant and sad, to me, and I really am having a problem reading it due to what I fear is coming in the story of the little son John (same name as my grandson) and his pony. His bit is really well done and much too true to life and I'm afraid for him. I keep thinking of Gone With the Wind and the child was her name Bonnie? And her  jumping her pony.  

I dislike the main female character, Brenda, immensely,  and what she's done to her husband and family, with her own vanity, and the implied disdain for her loyal husband and his big house and  the staid boring type of life they did lead in those days, were they all so vacuous and unfeeling? And self centered?

Apparently. If this is the norm then Cora in Downton is quite an exception, very much so. So is THAT a false  note or is Handful the false note? The thing is one feels one must keep reading as some kind of object lesson and one really hates to. It's terribly sad, to me, and an indictment of the "upper crust," which I expect it was intended to be in the first place.

MaryPage

« Reply #478 on: March 18, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
Winston Churchill's American mother, Jenny, was very popular, and Consuelo Vanderbilt was downright beloved by both palace and town when she was married to the Duke of Marlborough.
There are simply heaps of books about each of these women.

Jonathan

« Reply #479 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »
Very interesting, Ginny, to hear your impressions of A Handful of Dust. What a coincidence. I was about to start reading it, after hearing that it is one of Waugh's best. Better than Brideshead. I'll be coming to it from the fog and mud of Dickens' London. Some sadness there too, but mostly horror.