Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Number Our Days

<< < (2/121) > >>

bellamarie:
Wow!  Jonathan "insight, hindsight and foresight, garnished with superstition."  I can hardly wait!  I am going to buy the book instead of borrowing from the library, it sounds like a keeper. 

PatH:
My library system doesn't have it, though the Portland, OR system does, so I got it from Abe Books.  They have a ton of them for less than $4.  I, too, am looking forward to it.

ginny:
Oh wonderful! So good to see so  many people already!

Welcome, Jonathan, and thank you for recommending it, I had never heard of it: what a treasure it appears.

Welcome Bellamarie, How do we decide how to proceed in life as we age and lose our loved one?  I'm thinking this book will give us some insight. I agree.

This subject is something we all probably have some  experience with, or we've heard somebody else's experiences,   in one way or another. If we live long enough, it might even be us.  Old age not being for sissies, I am also hoping to gain some insights and inspiration from their examples. I am already impressed with the 89 year old taking the bus to go shopping.

It's a mindset I hope to understand.

I had hoped we might be able to contact the author. Dr. Myerhoff, but she died in 1985, at the age of 50.

Welcome, PatH! I wish my book would come, I ordered it some time ago, and  still it's not here. 

This is wonderful insightful company with which to discuss such a book. I am tremendously  looking forward to it. 

Everyone is welcome!

ginny:
I think Bellamarie has identified here an issue that happens a lot: they immediately moved her into their home out of her's which she has lived in since a child, all the years of her marriage and raised her children there.  It is not in the best area of our city, but it is her home and neighbors have watched out for her knowing her husband had bad health.  She has confided in me that she is not sure she wants to leave her house to live with my son and her daughter and their three children.

And there you have it, actually: a dilemma in which you can see both sides. From both perspectives. It raises so many questions...about a lot of things. This is going to be a good one.

bellamarie:
Ginny, indeed it is a dilemma and is ongoing.  My son was over the other day and was so distraught, he has anxiety issues and takes meds for it. He confides in me when he feels very stressed, and he just does not know what the best solution is for everyone in this situation.  He loves his mother in law, but knowing she could be living in his home for a year is not what any of them expected.  He and his wife are very health conscious, the mother in law is diabetic and overweight so they try to encourage her to do the things to manage her diabetes but she refuses and sneaks sweets into their house.  Her doctor recommended grief counseling and also for her to go to a podiatrist, but she refuses to go.  I'm thinking everyone in this situation may have acted a bit too hasty, even though it was out of the goodness of their hearts.  They are young, active and healthy, she is aging, not so active or healthy.  To add to the mix, they are Catholic and she is Jehovah Witness, so they feel uncomfortable celebrating birthdays and holidays in their home now that she is living with them.  It reminds me of the excerpt from this book:

"Nobody talks Yiddish."

I may buy her a copy of this book when I purchase mine, on second thought I may buy my daughter in law a copy as well.

I found the paperback for only 2.00 plus 3.00 for shipping & handling at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.  I'm headed to Barnes and Noble today so hopefully they will have it in the store and I can save on the shipping & handling. 

PatH.,  What is Abe Books?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version