Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 105398 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Poldark and Sherlock and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »

See the 2015 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

DISCUSSING NOW

Poldark, Season 1

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Thanks to our Masterpiece friends at the WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, SeniorLearn is in possession of two DVD sets of Season 1 of the current Poldark to give away. Winners of these DVDs will be selected at random from people who post in the PBS Masterpiece discussion from June 21 through August 7. You may post as many messages as you like but only one post will count as your entry. Winners will be notified by email (to the email address associated with your username on SeniorLearn) during the second week of August when we'll request their postal address in order to send the DVD. To be eligible to receive the DVD you must live in the contiguous United States (for postage considerations).

June 21 - August 2, 2015
Set in the picturesque, seaside county of Cornwall, Poldark follows a rough-and-ready hero with nothing to lose as he tries to restore his community, fortune, and family name. It’s 1783, and Britain is in a crisis of falling wages, rising goods prices, and civil unrest. Dashing, adventurous scoundrel Ross Poldark (Aidan Turner) returns from fighting overseas to find his world dramatically changed: his family estate is in ruins, his father has died, and his sweetheart is engaged to another. Poldark is based on the first two novels in Winston Graham’s sweeping 18th-century saga. The first television adaptation of the series aired on MASTERPIECE in the 1970s, and now a new generation can delight in the exploits of a romantic hero like no other.

COMING

Sherlock, Seasons 2 and 3
August 16 - September 20, 2015

While we wait for Season 4 of Sherlock (said to be broadcast in 2017), we can watch encore presentations of the exploits of the world's only consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his long-suffering faithful friend, Dr. John Watson in Seasons 2 and 3. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek Into Darkness; The Imitation Game) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit trilogy).

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Mr. Selfridge, Season 3
March 29 - May 17, 2015
All sales are final as Harry Selfridge gambles his store, his fortune, and his personal happiness on an audacious retail strategy in Mr. Selfridge, Season 3.

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall, a six-hour miniseries adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels: Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, airs on Sundays, April 5 to May 10, 2015 at 10pm. Wolf Hall stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winner Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Tony Award-winner Mark Rylance (Twelfth Night) and shines a spotlight on Thomas Cromwell's involvement in King Henry VIII's marriage to and divorce from Anne Boleyn. See http://www.pbs.org/wolfhall and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wolf-hall/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Found it - the series Jeremy Poldark, was written in 1950.
Barbara
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

The series is not called Jeremy Poldark;  that was just ONE of Ross Poldark's children.  The series is called just plain POLDARK.  Ross Poldark is the principal figure from the git go.

I loved it last night.  Completely, totally different from the first series, which made it delightful.  Oh, it sticks to the basic outline of the book, as does the first one, but chooses slightly different ways of telling the story and presenting the situations.  Fascinating and fun!

I like the new Ross just fine, and like the new Elizabeth MUCH better than the original one.  I never did like the actress who played the part originally.  I do find myself yearning for the first Demelza, but think I will wind up liking this one alright.  She does radiate some spunk, just not quite as much.  Yep, I think she'll grow on me.

Steph

« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »
My provider does not seem to carry any PBS that has either of the shows..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
Bummer!

Most PBS channels across the country are offering the new POLDARK on Sunday nights at nine as their new Masterpiece Theatre presentation this summer.  They all started last Sunday.

So sorry you cannot enjoy it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »

Special Announcement
Our website will be down, beginning Monday evening, June 29, GMT, for a large update.  

Please do not post at this time as your post will probably disappear.

We do not know how long it will take the computer expert to load this update and have it working.  

The website will not look as it has when it comes up until we tweak it, so please be patient. Please continue to check back for news.  We hope to be up and functioning by Tuesday, but if not, it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thank you for your patience

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
New season of Last Tango In Halifax starts tonight - Caroline and pregnant Kate set a date for their wedding among other upheavals.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »
And it was great.  I had wondered how on earth they could possibly keep up the momentum, but they really have, and beautifully.  I hate seeing Sir Derek Jacobi aging so, though.

Poldark was most excellent, as well.  So far:

I liked the first Ross somewhat better, but this one is good.
I adored the first Demelza, and this one does not meet the first ones high mark.
This Catherine is far, far superior to the first one.
The two Verities are of equal value, both first rate.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
What do you think MaryPage is the 'son' for real or someone who saw something in the newspaper and decided to do a shake down.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »
OK it looks like they are beginning now, to do a backup, and will start on the upgrade about 5:15  Eastern time. I don't think I'd post anything now until this is over, if you want to see it again.

Fingers crossed!!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

MaryPage

« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Actually, what I think is that it is a way to introduce RUPERT GRAVES into this show.  He is an extremely popular hunk and has attracted slews of new followers to their tellys to watch.  Color me a cynic!

I inadvertently ran across a piece about the show recently and learned more than I really wanted to know.  We are in for a roller coaster ride, so hang on to your seats and pay attention now!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
I've seen Rupert Graves in many a movie and TV show - the one that is most memorable for me is Death at a Funeral I laughed and laughed so hard during that movie - sent it to my grandboys in NC and they too thought it was hilarious - I ended up buying a copy and about once every 7 or 8 months when I need something light and silly to lighten my mood or just relax I re-watch and still find it very funny although I do not explode out-loud in laughter as I did.  Except that his face is a bit fuller Rupert Graves  has not lost his boyish good looks as other actors -

I am thinking of Robson Green who played Owen Springer in Reckless that was a romantic comedy with him falling in love with his Boss' (the chief surgeon), wife and another romantic story Me & Mrs Jones. Robson, although a year younger than Rupert Graves is showing his age as he plays Geordie Keating in Grantchester

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
Interesting - hitting font size 10 is showing up on my computer no different than hitting font size 12 - the above is using font size 10 -

OK I am going to try these other two buttons the one with the A and curved arrow to a smaller version of an upper case A

All good children go to bed at eight - hmm nothing

OK now the blue arrow surrounded by red parenthesis

All good children go to bed at eight  - hmm double hmm - nothing

One more the button with the capitol T and the lower case t

All good children go to bed at eight --- OK something we shall see when I post this what the something is...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
OK on my computer hitting the T t button makes the sentence have more space between each letter so the sentence is spread out - oh yes and it changed the font - the shape of the letters are a bit different.

MaryPage

« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
Has anyone else been watching The Crimson Field?  It comes on here on Sunday nights right after Last Tango In Halifax and Poldark.  I don't like it hugely, but sort of leave it on to see if it will get better.  Just found out Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter is in it.  Oona Chaplin is her name.  Named for her grandmother, who was Eugene O'Neill's daughter.  She plays Kitty, the one whose mother says she is dead to her.

MaryPage

« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »
Anyone besides me watching PBS?  Last night was great.  First Last Tango In Halifax, which just keeps getting better.  If you say nothing else about Gillian, she has to be one of this world's hardest workers.  Phew!  I could never do one tenth of what that woman does!

Then came Poldark, and I am warming up to the new Demelza.  Next The Crimson Field, which is also getting better.  I am thrilled to find Suranne Jones, who plays Rachel Bailey in Scott & Bailey, and who is one of the very best actresses I have EVER had the privilege of enjoying, playing the part of a nurse named Joan.  She is just so refreshingly expert at what she does.

So, anyone else watching?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
Yep, Poldark is so black hat white hat it is like an old western in the English countryside. I am waiting to see who dies first in that mine and of course above ground, if the Uncle does die we have a Simon Legree in his son to fill his shoes - and then what does our hero do - will he be loyal to Demelza - we shall see what we shall see. 

And the last bit on Last Tango ouch ouch ouch - Carolyne's ex is something else again - he is like emotional train wreck sending bits flying where ever he lands. Ha ha and Gillian and Robby are a pair hahaha - her boy is growing up before our eyes - no more chubby pimply face boy. I still think there is something fishy about the new found son - maybe because it all seems too good to be true.

All the backbiting among the nurses gets to me - hate it hate it - I couple of times I just did not want to see what was going to happen next so like a kid at the movie hiding my face in my mother only I would switch channels for a bit and then when a minute or so passed I would go back. Still cannot figure out what is the matter with that one goody two shoes nurse who could not give the soldier a bath - is she so afraid and turned off by seeing a naked man - is that what it is all about?

MaryPage

« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
I, of course, know precisely what is going to happen in POLDARK, as I read every one of Winston Graham's excellent books and saw the first miniseries twice all the way through.  Nevertheless, it is most interesting to me to see how different actors and actresses play the parts, and to pick out the small ways in which the new scriptwriters have changed the events and how they have chosen different things from the book to portray and/or emphasize.

jeriron

« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »
I can't stand Celia at all. And anything that goes on she makes a mountain out of a mole hill. But to not go to her daughters wedding because of something her husband did 30 years ago which had nothing to do with her.thats unforgivable. Plus she let her Grandson sit there with her instead of telling him he needed to go. I'm at a point of not bothering to watch it anymore.

MaryPage

« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
It appears to me that Celia and Caroline are equally ugly and fallible.  When Celia allowed history to repeat itself, and her pique with another family member to poison her attitude and keep her from Caroline's wedding, just as a similar situation had caused her to refuse to attend Caroline's graduation, Caroline also quite deliberately utilized precisely the same dreadfully hurtful comment to Alan at her wedding that she had used to her own father at her graduation, even though she had just argued with her mother to the extent of saying she had always regretted how very much she had hurt her now deceased dad.  I hated seeing Alan's pain.  Well, like mother, like daughter, as the saying goes.

jeriron

« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
True the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

MaryPage

« Reply #300 on: July 13, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »
Three great programs last night:
Last Tango In Halifax continues to be outstanding;  I don't know how they do it.  Wonderful playwright Sally Wainwright (with the profession right there in her surname!).  I enjoy every morsel and find it one of the all time best.  Very, very real and believable.  I have come to cherish every character.

Poldark continues to be excellent, and more and more I like the new actors as well as or better than the previous ones, while the new script is also more pleasing in many ways.

The Crimson Field grows on me as the characterizations deepen.  I dislike medically centered programs, being of an intensely squeamish disposition, but history pulls me in.  Suranne Jones and Oona Chaplin are terrific.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #301 on: July 13, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
Ditto on all three MaryPage - fabulous night of TV plus along with that lineup we are getting a new series of DI Banks - the evening starts at 7: and does not finish up till 11:30 since DI Banks is an hour and a half show.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
I too am loving the new Poldark. I don't recall if I ever saw the first version. I have some exciting news related to the series!

Thanks to our Masterpiece friends at the WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, SeniorLearn is in possession of two DVD sets of Season 1 of the current Poldark to give away. Winners of these DVDs will be selected at random from people who post in the PBS Masterpiece discussion from June 21 through August 7. You may post as many messages as you like but only one post will count as your entry. Winners will be notified by email (to the email address associated with your username on SeniorLearn) during the second week of August when we'll request their postal address in order to send the DVD. To be eligible to receive the DVD you must live in the contiguous United States (for postage considerations).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
What a lovely gift - I know the way of business but still - nice

I just loved this past week's episode - we learn that he has learned to really love her - the Christmas gathering was riveting. 

nlhome

« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2015, 10:20:11 PM »
I have not had the time or energy to watch TV these past 6 weeks, but I see I am missing some good programs, especially Last Tango in Halifax and Poldark. I wasn't interested in Poldark, but yesterday I took our granddaughter (age 7) on a tour through a historical mining exhibit and Cornish-built houses, and the guide referenced Poldark in her discussion of Cornwall, where many of the miners and their families came from. Now I see I should have been watching.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
Well did you see the Emmy  nominations? It looks like Wolf Hall  had one for best miniseries,  one for Mark Rylance as Cromwell,  and one for Damian  Lewis as Henry VIII, and I think  they both deserve it and I hope they win.   Strangely enough the actress that played and Boelyn (SIRI makes a fool of me every time!) did not get a nomination.

MaryPage

« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
Well, I thought she was rather wooden, as a matter of fact, so I am not personally affronted by that, and I expect the ones who were nominated perhaps deserved it more.  I really fell hard for Mark Rylance;  for me he lit up the small screen.

For those unfamiliar with Winston Graham, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you look for his Poldark series of books.  They are so outdated that I very much doubt your libraries will still carry them, but I know for a fact you may buy them on the cheap from Thriftbooks (used), and Barnes & Noble has them brand new, as well.  They have never gone out of print in Great Britain, and you see them much featured when and if you visit Cornwall.  They are historical fiction, and Graham took a great deal of trouble to be accurate.  I found him a delicious read, too;  enjoyed every morsel and wish I had it all to do over again.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/bibliographies/minibibs/poldark.html

Also, you can buy the DVD set of the first miniseries that was made.  The scriptwriters took quite different approaches to the same story, and I find that in itself fascinating.  I loved the books so much that I could probably watch ten different takes on it played out on film and still have a wonderful time.

Poppaea

« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
I can't wait for Sunday night's treat of Poldark, then I watch it again on Monday night. I purchased the first volume in hardcopy then four subsequent Poldark novels on Kindle. I have family in Cornwall and go there to visit - I know Gweek, Falmouth, Penzance, Truro and other towns, beautiful and fearsome cliffs and sea, some famous Cornish gardens and lush farmland. I am busy on the first novel now. I think Aiden Turner in the Masterpiece series is absolutely heart-throbbingly is gorgeous.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: July 19, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
hepeskin, welcome to the discussion. I too think that Aiden Turner is very handsome and is a wonderful fit for the part. All of the actors are very good and don't seem like they are "acting." That's exciting that you have family in Cornwall and have been there. I'm sure it makes the series, and books, even more alive for you.

salan

« Reply #309 on: July 22, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
Who is watching Last Tango?  I would like your opinion on Sunday's episode.  It seemed to me like they skipped an episode.  I am watching Poldark and Demelza is growing on me.  I also watched Foyle's War.  All these programs are excellent.  Programming like this convinces me to support PBs!
sALLY

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #310 on: July 22, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
On  Last Tango I just feel we have not heard all there is to hear or the whole thing was a mistake about this son - Gillian's lost brother - something is just not sitting right on that one. I keep thinking as a successful business man he is looking for some way to get his hands on Gillian's land but I do not remember it came to her from her Dad although there are ways she would help her Dad if there was a legal threat. Looks like we have a perky new character in the new nanny to liven up the last few episodes.

Quite a powerful Foley's War - amazing how all this WWII stuff keeps bubbling up and always with a side we were not privileged to at wars end or maybe we wanted to get on with life and only see the heroic. Even Crimson Fields is showing a German soldier as someone to root for. Amazing 100 years ago this week the Second Battle of the Isonzo was being fought - hardly a ripple about WWI here in the states - maybe in Europe do you think?   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: July 23, 2015, 07:41:11 AM »
I wanted to say to MaryPage way back there about the Emmys that I didn't see her (the actress who played Ann Boelyn) as particularly better than Rylance or Lewis, either. But the New Yorker was it, really played her up instead of the two of them. Maybe they submitted her name in the wrong category and there were too many others ahead of her for her to make that particular list.

The guy who played Norfolk was wonderful, I'm sorry he did not get a nod, not a big part, but so well done,  but Damian Lewis, who is not mentioned much as Henry,  really almost stole the show...of course Rylance is out of this world.  I hope he and Rylance are not against each other, I failed to notice that. A split vote for each might knock them both out.

Damian Lewis has won a lot of awards. He was on stage  in London when I was there but it was an old Mahmet play, with John Goodman whom I also like but I chose Jonathan Pryce (Cardinal  Wolsey) instead at the Globe.  Spoiled for choice. I know they would have also been outstanding.

MaryPage

« Reply #312 on: July 23, 2015, 08:48:25 AM »
Ginny, I read that review as well, and felt the writer should have had his head examined.  Maybe she appealed to him;  who knows.  I still found her wooden.

Am still head over heels in love with Last Tango In Halifax.  As for the newly discovered brother, played so well by Rupert Graves, have an inkling he is here to stay.  Why?  Well, because Sally Wainwright seems to be making every attempt to take on all of the issues we have been putting in the public spotlight regarding our personal and family lives in this 21st century of ours: same sex marriage, babies born in such situations, adultery, divorce, teen age pregnancy, women in top jobs, and children who try to find their natural parents.  In introducing Gary, she was lucky to get the wonderful Rupert Graves;  even more reason to believe he will be around for at least this season, and we can cross our fingers for more.

I think the land is Gillian's from her first husband, but I may be mistaken;  it may be her father's.

Speaking of first husbands, my first had a secretary who was single, got pregnant by a married naval officer (impossible situation), and gave the baby up for adoption.  She strongly desired a private adoption (this was back in 1960), and we arranged through a lawyer that a couple who were our best friends and childless could adopt her.  This was called the grey market for babies back then.  They adored the child, never had another, and are dead and gone now.  A few years back, the woman who was the baby contacted me for a clue as to her parentage.  I gave her her mother's name and address, clear across our continent, and both parties had the joy of discovery.  Her mother had never had another child.  This turned out to be an amazing discovery for me, as well and all, as I learned mind blowing things about how we are more ruled by our inherited genes than we ever tend to give credit.  Actually, we do not own as much "Free Will" as we credit ourselves with!  Since that experience, I have asked a lot of other adults who were adopted as infants and later searched for their roots to tell me of their experiences, and found that these human beings who never, ever had any sort of contact, had the most incredible details of their personas in common.

MaryPage

« Reply #313 on: July 23, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
Sally, Sally Wainwright often skips quite a bit of time between episodes of Last Tango.  I don't think we missed anything.

If you love Last Tango, you might enjoy Scott & Bailey, as well.  It is a police procedure series, and not at all like Tango, but the writing is Sally Wainwright and the acting top notch.  Bailey is played by Suranne Jones, who plays the nurse named Joan in The Crimson Field.  She is one of the most outstanding actresses I have ever had the privilege of enjoying.

Sarah Lancashire, who plays Caroline in Tango, played Miss Audrey in The Paradise.  She was also the voice of the narrator in Lark Rise To Candleford.  She is GOOD, and a great favorite in Great Britain.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #314 on: July 23, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »
Oh I did not know she was the narrator in Lark Rise To Candleford - now I need to find an old episode to watch.

On adoptions - did you see how last week a policeman found a Baby in a trash dumpster and it turned out it was his unknown child - Wow - wonder what he does - wonder if he was married and this was something on the side or if he was and is single - what mixed feelings he must have.

MaryPage

« Reply #315 on: July 23, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
I did NOT see that.  Where did it happen?

Here is a similar story, but it was not the policeman's baby.

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/04/27/police-officer-finds-abandoned-baby-in-dumpster-26-years-later-he-meets-the-man-he-saved/

By the way, I do not endorse or condone the advertising on that website.  I am avidly Pro-Choice, but of course in full agreement that every baby born must be given a chance to live.  To kill a newly born is murder.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »
Mary Page I do not remember where - I thought I saw it on Huffington but when I looked I did find your story of the reuniting after 26 years but could not find this story - I have several sites that are current news so I may have seen it on another of those sites - if I find it again I will post it.

MaryPage

« Reply #317 on: July 27, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »
Next week we will have the season finale of Last Tango In Halifax, and I see that they are contracted to do a Season Four.  Hooray!  Also read that it has the largest number of viewers in Great Britain at this time.
Last night we had the season finale of The Crimson Field, and thought it quite good, actually, and clearly needing another season to tidy up some of the bits:  especially that evil noncom.  Looks like the nurse who appeared to be his ally is going to control him, for a while, at least.  Anyone know if there will be another season in the works?
Poldark continues to be excellent, while I continue to be fascinated by the subtle ways in which the new screenwriters have chosen to tell basically the same story in different ways.  Practically know the old miniseries by heart, have watched it so many times, so these things are quite apparent to me.  Am getting quite comfortable with the new set of actors, however, and that is something of a relief, as at first found myself resentful and balking at them being who they are portraying.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #318 on: July 27, 2015, 12:42:51 PM »
I read on the Internet that BBC "axed" Crimson Field after the first series due to low TV viewing in Great Britain.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #319 on: July 27, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
I wondered if the idea of a historical mini- series based on WWI would work - so much loss for most of Europe and not a lot of noble behavior at the time certainly does not make those watching feel a victor as after the courage shown in Britain during WWII and so it is difficult to hear the truths spread out in glorious color on TV. The upper class is not given a passing grade in the series which is probably rather accurate reading history and today, any young writer only has written history and a few old speckled and jerky films - they are all gone - that war created so much damage with British upper class arrogance deciding what was best in the Middle East, northern Africa and Versailles. 

And Foyle's War is really hitting hard the problem of the Brits arranging matters in Palestine and having as much influence in the Arab Sinai issue because of the Brits occupation of Egypt. And the Israeli's are not being glorified with only their small-band-of-couragious-survivor personality depicted - they are attempting to show all sides, both the good and admirable along with some of the negative - not sure what it is all about but it is a different look at history than we have seen.

Looks like Gary is turning out to have an agenda - not sure yet what is at the bottom of it but the hens are coming home to roost. Sad sack John is really a good actor isn't he to keep this up episode after episode - Have you noticed Celia is looking more and more attractive - looks like she lost a bit of weight but there is more - she looks refreshed and has a glow.