Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ Happiness

<< < (2/15) > >>

ALF43:
I love this topic of happiness:  "high spitits, glee, jubilation."
 I love the adjectives describing that word or can that word be used as an adjective?  HAPPY?  I shall return on this note. HAPPY is  verb, it denote action.  But a happy soul?  How about a happy face?
Try smiling at a group of Senior citizens or little babies all the way through the mall.  Make an attempt to "work the room" with a happy countenance or or an air of delight and see how people respond to you.
  We are all challenged in this day and age to spread this word of joy.  It is something that I try to accomplish daily.  Sadly, I do not always perform as I would like but ---happiness , as fleeting as it may be, is essential to our good health and affiliation with our fellow man.

Pat:
Happiness

Doing what you like -- and liking what you do -- and smiling all the way thru.

maryz:
I don't like to read or listen to reviews of books or movies or concerts before I experience them.  Then sometimes I like to read a review to compare my opinion to the reviewers.  IMHO, too often, the reviewer tells more of the story than I want to know before I read it.

jane:

--- Quote ---do you ever see any UNhappy looking models selling anything?
--- End quote ---

Yes, there are a lot of unhappy models selling medicines...depression medications "to ask your doctor about," over-the-counter meds/products for various ailments and conditions.

I agree with you, Mary. The reviewers tell way too much and I fail to understand why his/her view should ever come close to what I might like.  Reading choices are like art...nobody else should pick out what they like and give it to you or expect you to like it too.  [I had a sister-in-law who was upset when her new daughter-in-law didn't hang a large art work in the living room.  The SIL would have been the FIRST person to complain loudly and publicly if someone else had tried that with her!]

I also dislike having people "insist" I take a book they've read ...saying, "you'll love it."  Nope...hasn't happened yet.  So, I take it, keep it forever and then return it to the "giver" saying I just haven't had time to get to it.  I guess it's about my right to read and enjoy what I like and when I like.  In the same vein, I dislike people deciding that one genre of literature is worthy, but another is "beneath" a literate person. Hello?  Who made them the Literature Emperor?

Geez...can you tell I have a fierce "independent" streak??? ;)

--- Quote ---Do we have a perception that Success= Happy? Is that true?
--- End quote ---
  Probably...if the individual is allowed to use his OWN criteria for what "success" is. 

jane

maryz:
jane, one of John's cousins became obsessed with a recent group featured on a PBS special and DVD.  I gather it plays constantly at their house.  When they came through here for an overnight, they wanted us to "enjoy" it with them.  We knew they'd be here only a few hours, and said we'd watch it later - just wanted to spend time with them.  But, NO.  That wouldn't do - so we watched about half of it, listening to a running commentary.  When it finally got turned off, they left it here.  We never watched it, but returned it to them, telling them that it was indeed wonderful and thanking them for loaning it to us.  Just a little white lie.  ::) ::)    It is a good program, and we probably would have watched and enjoyed it, if it hadn't been forced on us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version