Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Jeeves in the Springtime ~ P. G. Wodehouse

(1/11) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Jeeves in the Springtime
An early P.G.Wodehouse Short Story
"'tis the season when a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of love,"
and mauve shirts, ties, old school chums, roses, cooks, waitresses.
Bertie Wooster, his man Jeeves in London between the Wars.
Turn pages using the numbers in this Link - using the arrows will change stories.
Web-Book Jeeves In The Springtime

Stephen Fry on PG Wodehouse
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse

General Discussion for Humor, Wit & Satire in Short Stories

Questions to Consider
Another Set of Questions next Saturday Night
* What is class society like in Britain during this time in History?
* What is it like for the upper classes in London between the wars?
* How has history affected Britain after WWI?
* How does social class enter this story?
* What is the significance of wearing a crimson tie with horseshoes versus a cravat?
* What is "Jumping Season"? Does the word 'Jumping' further describe the plot?
* How comfortable are the major characters within their social class?
* Is Rosie M. Banks a published author?
* What significance is the rose as a color and a name to the story?
* Why do you think the author has Bertie Wooster telling this story rather than Jeeves?
* What are the conflicts for Bertie Wooster?
* Is Bertie Wooster's struggle with another character, society or the forces of nature?
* Are Bertie Wooster's struggles internal or external?
* What is Bingo Little's problem and how does that present conflict?
* Why did Bingo Little need Jeeves to help him solve his Dilemma
* Could you hear the dialogue in your head and what did Bertie's use of language tell you?
* What was the best line in the story and would you ever use the line in conversation?
* Was the ending predictable?
* Have you read other stories by P.G.Wodehouse?
Discussion Leader: BarbStAubrey

BarbStAubrey:
This is so exciting - a NEW discussion!

We are starting Monday, March 16 with Jeeves in the Springtime-  I do hope you pull up a chair and join us -

This humorous short story is all ready for you to read - FAST DELIVERY - NO EXPENSE - it is all on-line - a P.G.Wodehouse  -  just his name spells laughter - Jeeves in the Springtime is also linked in the heading - I have another link to the story that I must find and I will add it in another post.

Each mid- month we will be able to discuss one story that is on-line  - the discussion is scheduled as 10 days of talking -

Starting in April we will select a story from three and the winner will be scheduled the second month out - 

Example: the selection made from 3 stories in April will become the feature of June's discussion and the selection made from May will become the July discussion - so forth -

There will be an opportunity the last few days of each discussion starting the last few days of this March discussion to get your suggestions in if you want a story to be included in the three that are chosen -

Remember the short story must be on-line and it must use Humor or Wit or Satire or all three.  So many of the 18th and 19th century authors from Mark Twain to Oscar Wilde have short stories that will fit our discussion - a lot to choose from.

Help us launch this new Discussion Please...  :)

Frybabe:
I've never read P. G. Wodehouse, but I do remember seeing something on TV a long, long time ago. TV show? Movie? Don't remember.

BarbStAubrey:
The guy who plays House on TV - that doctor show - is Bertie Wooster in the TV series. Aha found it - here is some of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves on You Tube - sure gives us an ear for the tone of voice while we're reading our short story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNSUPlcz4Bg&feature=related

Frybabe:
Good Heavens! By golly, it is. I don't watch House. (Well, I did see one show)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version