Scheduled & Proposed Book Discussions > PBS Programs

PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2011

(1/14) > >>

marcie:

Masterpiece Contemporary 2011 welcomes Bill Nighy (The Lost Prince), Rachel Weisz, Michael Gambon (Emma, Cranford), Ralph Fiennes, Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson in two new programs, Page Eight and The Song of Lunch.  See the 2011 MASTERPIECE CONTEMPORARY schedule and episode descriptions.  Check your local listings.

NOW DISCUSSING

Framed
November 27, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
An eccentric Welsh village learns that London's National Gallery is storing its entire art collection in a nearby mine during the museum's renovations — leading to curious encounters between the village locals and the gallery's urbane, lovelorn curator. Trevor Eve (David Copperfield) and Eve Myles (Little Dorrit) star in this gentle comedy, based on Frank Cottrell Boyce's best-selling novel of the same name. ENCORE FROM LAST SEASON

PAST PROGRAMS

Song of Lunch
November 13, 2011 at 9pm
One 60-minute episode
A dramatisation of Christopher Reid's narrative poem, telling the story of a book editor who, 15 years after their break-up, meets his former love for a nostalgic lunch at the Soho restaurant they used to frequent. The production is unusual in featuring little spoken dialogue, the action instead being an enactment of incidents described in poetic monologue of the male character. Starring Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson.

Page Eight
November 6, 2011 at 9pm
One 120-minute episode
Sixty-something MI-5 agent Johnny Worricker has amassed an impressive art collection, an amicable collection of ex-wives, and a droll, unflappable relationship with the work he enjoys alongside his boss and best friend, MI5 chief Benedict Baron. But when Benedict brings to light damning evidence of British complicity with illegal American torture operations, it falls to Johnny to do the right thing.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Frybabe:
Just saw the trailer for Page Eight. What a cast. It should be interesting.

marcie:
Yes, Page Eight has a great cast. It looks good.

marcie:
I'm looking forward to the episode tonight!

jeriron:
Our PBS isn't showing it until 11:30. Good thing I can DVR it. They're showing a Lewis (repeat) at 9. Now that's dumb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version