Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 364098 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #480 on: December 05, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »

Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #481 on: December 05, 2009, 09:28:54 AM »
Thank goodness for eyesight and books as we grow older.  If the good
Lord will just preserve my eyesight- and my mind-I won't complain too
much.  ;)
Amen, Babi.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #482 on: December 05, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
I agree, Claire and Babi. Isn't it wonderful to experience so many lives and worlds by reading books.

I just finished "Flashforward" by Robert J. Sawyer. I enjoyed it. It's different in many ways from the TV version, which I've been watching.

Babi

« Reply #483 on: December 06, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »
 We have been watching the "Flashforward" TV series, also. It's pretty
good, tho' I do find following all the different characters a bit much at
times.  I'm glad they are beginning to show instances that prove the
glimpses of the future are not 'set in stone'.
  My own view of such visions is that, if valid, they would still be only
what would occur if one continued on one's present road with no major
change.  IMO, there are many possible futures, depending on which fork
in the road one takes at a given point.  The farther ahead the 'vision', the
more tenuous it is. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

catbrown

« Reply #484 on: December 06, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
I've also been watching and enjoying the show ... but can't understand why there won't be any new episodes until March.

Anyway, I keep thinking of how prophecies work in ancient Greek stories, where whatever one does to avoid fate is exactly what causes that particular fate to occur. It'll be interesting to see how "Flash Forward" goes about unraveling all this, particularly since the date of the flash forwards is, if I remember correctly, some time in March 2010? or April?

Babi

« Reply #485 on: December 07, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »
According to the last episode I watched, the flash-forward event occurred on Oct. 6.  I don't know what year it was supposed to be.The classic 'oracles' were very good at giving answers that were truthful,
but easily...and frequently...misinterpreted. 

I am reading "The Gathering Storm", the first book of the closing trilogy
of "The Wheel of Time".  Brian Sanderson is working from outlines left
by Robert Jordan and doing a great job.  It's been so long since I dropped that series I've forgotten what many of the words mean. Thankfully, I have a glossary to help me out.   I'm deep into the book
now, despite having so many characters to follow.  It does get confusing at times.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #486 on: December 07, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
The Greek Oracles are mentioned briefly in the book version of FLASHFORWARD. One of the main figures was born in Greece.

catbrown

« Reply #487 on: December 08, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »
Well, I just had to know so I looked up the date for the events seen in the flashforwards : April 29, 2010. But in the course of checking this, I saw a teaser that suggested there will (maybe) be another worldwide blackout in the first one or two episodes when the show returns in March. Yikes!

Babi, I'm glad you're reading "Gathering Storm," but really feel for you if you haven't read the series lately. Since I knew it was coming out and that I would definitely read it, I reread the last two books by Jordan (which were quite good, particularly the last one) and then the first 3 in the series in preparation so I wouldn't be floundering about in the complicated plot lines.

If you've skipped all the middle books, there must be quite a few characters whom you've never met before and, of course, prior plot developments ... . That you're enjoying "Gathering Storm" anyway says a lot about what a fantastic job Sanderson has done. I can't wait for the next installment!

Babi

« Reply #488 on: December 09, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »
I am enjoying the book, CAT. Surprisingly, tho', I don't care for the main
character.  No doubt if I had met him earlier I would have more sympathy for him.  As it is, I just find myself hoping that his increasing
coldness and hardness are necessary for what he has to do as the 'Dragon Reborn'.

catbrown

« Reply #489 on: December 09, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
Babi, I can't discuss that hardness with you now, because it would be a spoiler, but there's a lot of back story there we can talk about after you've finished the book.

Cat

Babi

« Reply #490 on: December 10, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »
 I'd like that, CAT.  Also, I hope to find more explanation as I read on.
The author(s) are definitely giving me an ample choice of characters to
like and dislike.   :)  My favorite is definitely Egwene. 

Frybabe

« Reply #491 on: December 25, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »
I just finished up Jack McDevitt's A Talent for War which I enjoyed very much. His next in the series will be on my shopping list. The gift card for B&N will start me off on another book buying binge.  ;D

Babi

« Reply #492 on: December 26, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »
 I can definitely recommend Sharon Shinn, an author I'm reading for the
first time.  I've been reading her "Twelve Houses" series and thoroughly
enjoying them. I do find her 'shiftlings'...shape changers...a bit annoying
as I can't see being able to assume shapes smaller than one's body
mass.  That is a standard premise in most fantasy/science fiction. But
I can forgive that for the sake of the characters.
  The first book in the series is "Riders and Mystics" if you want to give
her a try. The books I've read so far all center on one woman in a group
of friends.  Since there are men in the group as well, I'm curious to see
if one of them will take front and center in future books.

mrssherlock

« Reply #493 on: December 26, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
Babi:  I've just finished book 4 in Shinn's series and can't wait for #5.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/sharon-shinn/

Netflix sent me the new Startrek movie which is full of action.  The story is engrossing and the introduction of the characters is well done, particularly Leonard Nimoy IMHO.  However, for me, there were too many fights.  It's a guy thing; my son didnt see it that way at alll.  Still, it is one DVD I will add to my personal library.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #494 on: December 26, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the nudge, Jackie, I've been meaning to watch the new Star Trek for some time.  I should get to it.

Babi

« Reply #495 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
 How to I identify the new Star Trek from the old one?  What is it
called?  I'd like to see it, too.

mrssherlock

« Reply #496 on: December 28, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »
Thank you kindly, JACKIE.  I'll get on to my Netflix.

Frybabe

« Reply #498 on: January 01, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
Tonite at 10pm EST the TMC channel is running Fahrenheit 451. This is my favorite Ray Bradbury story.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:37 AM »
Frybabe, I watched Fahrenheit 451 with Oskar Werner and Julie Christie and enjoyed it. I was wondering how the fireman knew how to read since books were banned. The newspaper he was "reading" early on in the film just had pictures (sort of like a comic book).

Frybabe

« Reply #500 on: January 05, 2010, 03:09:51 PM »
You have a point Marcie. Never thought about it. What strikes me is the interactive TV which we seem to be capable of doing now especially with computers. Reading picture newspapers reminds me of the fast food cash registers with the pictures on them. I've run across one or two who can't even seem to get that right.  :o

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: January 05, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
Yes, the interactive TV was interesting. It seemed that it wasn't actually personally interactive. The people in the TV episode ask a question and just wait a few seconds for the home viewer to respond. As her husband says to his wife, every one of the viewers is probably responding to the same questions. LOL. His wife, being part of the brainwashed, book-banned citizenry, didn't get it.

winsummm

« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
lots of possibilities here. I copied this page and saved it  for reference.
claire :)
thimk

mrssherlock

« Reply #503 on: January 10, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
Jim Butcher's series about
Alera, where people bond with the furies-elementals of earth, air, fire, water, and metal
has reached number six, First Lord's Fury and it is keeping me awake since I read in bed at night.  This series must be read in order.  Here is book one:  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/jim-butcher/furies-of-calderon.htm
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #504 on: January 10, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
thankyou ms. sherlock. I just ordered the smple for my Kindle.  Currently involved with SINS OF THE FATHER Patricia SPRINKLE geneology series.  she had me looking at GEANEOLOGY.COM with it's free seven days/fourteen days??? serivce I declined becuase of the cost. It is interesting if you can afford it.
There is a book written about my mothers period back to the seventeen hundreds here in the USA. She told me that she was "fifth generation American" so I might look for the book.  I asked Amazon to KINDLE IT fro me.
thimk

mrssherlock

« Reply #505 on: January 10, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
Sturying your ancestors is fun, imagining what their lives were like, wondering why the left one place for another.  A distant cousin was an analyst for Naval Intelligence during WWII.  She's gone now but I wish I could have heard her tales about tht period.  there is al movie about how crowded Washington was during that war:  The More the Merrier one of thopse screwball comedies.  http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_More_the_Merrier/60011261?strackid=42aeffbb1c4cd546_0_srl&strkid=994851660_0_0&trkid=438381
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #506 on: January 10, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »
I've finally read all of the Sharon Lee-Steve Miller Liaden Universe stories. They write very good space opera with a lot of sociology and interpersonal relations.  The books totally suck me in and don’t spit me out until I’ve finished, and they stand up to rereading.

I first learned of them from you, and probably most of you know all this, but I thought a summary might be useful.  Lee and Miller have been unlucky in their publishers, and their novels are harder to get hold of than many books of lesser quality.  It took some work to get one or two of these.

The basic series is 5 books, which should be read in order, and before the others:

Conflict of Honors
Agent of Change
Carpe Diem
Plan B
I Dare

The first 3 are now available as an omnibus, Partners in Necessity.

Two more, Crystal Soldier and Crystal Dragon, deal with the past history of this universe, when Cantra and Jela, ancestors of the clan, saved a large number of people from a decrystallizing universe.  They are quite good, although Crystal Dragon has a lot of tiresome stuff about the origins of wizards.

Balance of Trade, very good, deals with an intermediate part of the history.

Local Custom is the least of them.  It tells of the romance between Er Thom Yos Galan and Anne Davis, parents of Shan.

Scout's Progress is about the meeting of Aelliana Caylon and Daav Yos Phelium, parents of Val Con, the major figure.

Fledgling tells something of what Daav did when he disappeared to achieve Balance, and is mostly the story of Theo Waitly, who appears on the last page of I Dare.

The continuation of her story, Saltation, is due soon.

Babi

« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »
I'm glad to hear #6 of the Alera series is out, JACKIE. I've enjoyed
every one of them.

PATH, I loved the Lee-Miller series and read every one. I couldn't
understand why I had so much trouble finding some of them. That is one
series I would like to own and re-read. I hadn't heard of 'Fledgling'
before and I'm delighted to hear another one is due soon. I hope to find
'Fledgling' and look forward to "Saltation".

mrssherlock

« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
Pat:  Thanks for reminding me about this series, there are titles there I haven't read.  Hope my library has them all.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2010, 08:16:57 AM »
 PAT, I checked with my library, and they have two books entitled "The
Fledgling", but neither is by Lee & Miller.  There's one by a Jane Langton and another by Robert Blake.  You were still referring to a Lee/Miller book, weren't you?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
Right, Babi, Lee and Miller.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/sharon-lee/fledgling.htm

The paperback is allegedly not out yet, but my copy is a paperback and I bought it a month ago.

Frybabe

« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
I see Douglas Preston has another solo novel out called Impact. It looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Douglas-Preston/dp/0765317680/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1/178-7522845-9844209

BTW, most of the bad review ratings are actually about Kindle and the wait of four months before downloading the book. One did stop reading the book because of "low tolerance for profanity and vulgarity". So be forwarned. At any rate, it is going on my ToBuy list.

As for now, I have his Tyrannosaur Canyon to read.

Babi

« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
Thanks, PAT. I'll ask my library if they will get it for me.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
Thanks for the alert about the new Douglas Preston book, Frybabe. I see that it features Wyman Ford, the ex monk. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thank you, too, PatH, for the detailed information about the Liaden Universe stories.

The mention of "Fledgling" reminds me of the science fiction "vampire" novel by the same name by Octavia Butler. I love all of her stories (not all are about vampires). She was such an original writer.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #514 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
As you can imagine, Marcie, the two Fledglings are very different.  Many of Butler's characters, like the heroine of Fledgling, are dealing with strange differences.  Kindred is enjoyed by non-sci-fi fans too--a harrowing book.

She passed from the scene far too soon.  Fledgling was her last book.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
PATH:"Kindred is enjoyed by non-sci-fi fans too".

She means me. She's always trying to turn me into a Sci-Fi fan, with few successes. Kindred is one of them. (The other is connie Willis).

Babi

« Reply #516 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »
 I'm currently reading an L. E. Modesitt, Jr. book entitled "Haze".  He's beginning to annoy me.  So many lines dedicated to detailed descriptions
of exactly what route they took walking from place to place...as though
it mattered!  "....a small establishment off a walkway running north and
south two blocks east of the central square."  In case we wanted to
visit there, I suppose.  :(
  He also thinks we want to know what our hero and the people he meets
are wearing.  Since the clothing is rather simple, there's a lot of repetition.
Our hero has only three 'singlesuits', unless he's in uniform, so there's
quite a bit of repetition there, too.  Seems to me he is really working hard
to get this story (two stories alternating, actually) over 300 pages. He
made it 301.

Steph

« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2010, 06:38:19 AM »
I just picked up a real oldie.. The Man from Mondavia.. Fun and light. Piers Anthony wrote a bunch of books about xanth.. I believe that the area was supposed to be like here in Florida.. Not quite sure. Must check my sci fi book on authors.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #518 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
Piers Anthony wrote a bunch of books about xanth.. I believe that the area was supposed to be like here in Florida.. Not quite sure. Must check my sci fi book on authors.
You're probably right, Steph.  Anthony lives in the woods in central Florida, and loves the area.  I haven't read any Xanth stories, but some of his others are set there.  I see that the 33rd Xanth book is out.

Good to see you here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #519 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
I'm currently reading an L. E. Modesitt, Jr. book entitled "Haze".  He's beginning to annoy me.......He also thinks we want to know what our hero and the people he meets
are wearing.  Since the clothing is rather simple, there's a lot of repetition.
Thanks for the warning, Babi.