Author Topic: Book Thief by Markus Zusak ~ March Book Club Online - Pre- Discussion  (Read 30119 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

Starting March 1! Everyone is invited!  

"Fortunately, this book isn't about Death; it's about death, and so much else."  
"Some will argue that a book so difficult and sad may not be appropriate for teenage readers. "The Book Thief" was published for adults in Zusak's native Australia, and I strongly suspect it was written for adults. Many teenagers will find the story too slow to get going, which is a fair criticism. But it's the kind of book that can be life-changing, because without ever denying the essential amorality and randomness of the natural order, "The Book Thief" offers us a believable, hard-won hope.
The Book Thief is a complicated story of survival that will encourage its readers to think." (Bookmarks Magazine)

"How can a tale told by Death be mistaken for young-adult storytelling? Easily: because this book's narrator is sorry for what he has to do. The youthful sensibility of "The Book Thief" also contributes to a wider innocence. While it is set in Germany during World War II and is not immune to bloodshed, most of this story is figurative: it unfolds as symbolic or metaphorical abstraction.
"The Book Thief" will be widely read and admired because it tells a story in which books become treasures. And because there's no arguing with a sentiment like that." (New York Times)

Discussion Schedule:

March 1-2 ~ Prologue
March 3-7 ~ Part I & II
March 8-14 ~ Part III & IV  
March 15-21 ~ Part V &VI                
March 22-28 ~ Part VII & VIII
March 29-April 4 ~ Part IX & X

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Andy

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Book Thief by Markus Zusak ~ March Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »
At last!  Do you remember many months ago when we had a vote - so many titles to choose from -  for upcoming discussions? Markus Zusak's The Book Thief was an overwhelming favorite amongst the many SeniorLearners who voted - tied with Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood, remember?  Did you vote for it?

At the time, I didn't know much about the book - honestly believed it was for young people, since that is how it has been marketed in the US.  It was a surprise to learn that the Aussie author, Zusak wrote the book for adults.  Those adults who have read it, put this book in the "life-changing"  category.  

Hopefully you will be able to pick up a copy  and join us here in March.  Andy and I look forward to your participation.

ALF43

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
I have to find my eloquent (  ::) ) post that I wrote the night I finished reading this book.  Truly, it is the best story I have read in a long time.  It is captivating and this writer is brilliant in his execution of this narrative during a tragic time in our history.  The number of deaths in Germany in the 1930's can not make for easy language but Zusak has accomplished it with this tale that totally mesmerized me.
 I have had it with "coming of age" stories and wanted to blow this one off.  I am so pleased that I did not let that fact dissuade me from joining in with JoanP to discuss this wonderful piece of literature.
 There is meat here.
 There is tragedy and adversity that is riddled with love, hope and compassion.  As nazi Germany and death march through every page, we stay tethered to a young girls wily and cunning survival- doing what she can do to lessen the burden.
Our narrator is death but you become fond of this 'grim reaper" as he struggles to complte his  assignments with tenderness and affection.
Please come join us for a delicate, warm account of a young girls perseverence riddled with carefully crafted storytelling.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ALF43

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »
I refuse to lend a book that I will be co-leading so I bought 3 additional copies to give as Christmas gifts.  That is how strongly I feel that each generation can be affected by this story.  
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

countrymm

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
Yes, I'd like to join you for the March discussion.

serenesheila

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:45 PM »
Please count me in.  WWII made more of an impact on me, than any other period of time, during my lifetime.

Sheila

salan

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:45:07 AM »
Please count on me for this discussion.  I read the book over a year ago, thought it was excellent and am looking forward to reading  it again (once I get it back from my sister).
Sally

ALF43

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
Oh look, look- here we are.

Welcome - Sally , oh yes by all means go fetch your book -  ASAP. ::)

There are so many facets to this story, not only the impact of WWII as Sheila has mentioned but the whole concept of love and hope in the most desperate of times.  Who of us (or is it whom of us) has not despaired, suffered adversity or affliction of some type? 
The thing I loved the best about this story was the Zusak's method of describing it.  I got all hung up while reading the story about his use of "colors."  He used colors to describe people, situations and emotions.  It was brilliant.  I secretly fear that when I reread it it will not have the same impact on me.  OR it could be twice as good, we will see.

Welcome as well to countryman- daily we will watch for more and more folks dropping by.  I am excited about this one and JoanP (my very own slave driver) will be in soon.  she's off having fun with the grandbabies for a few more days.

Laura

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »
Hi!  I'd like to join you for this discussion.  I have had the book for several years but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, despite having heard many wonderful reviews.  I'll be glad to be back with you all for a discussion.  It's been awhile.

ALF43

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
Laura welcome!  Grab your book and get started.
He (death, our narrator) is as weary as many Germans became during Hitler's insane rule, as he moves on collecting all of the souls.  Our grim reaper is believable and has a heart of gold.

Each and every page of this story is filled with images and provocative prose as HIS path crosses with that of our young heroine many times during those terrifying years.

I am so happy to hear that you'll be joining us fpr this story.

mrssherlock

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
Count me in.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
Oh wow! The prediscussion has started already. I am here. The book is here ready to be read.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:44 PM »
And none to soon, Frybabe!  Have you looked at the book yet?  550 pages!  But I hear it is a page-turner.  I haven't read it yet - but will take the word from those who voted that we discuss it - who have read it.  Especially, our  Andy who has been enthusiastic about this book from the start.

My little grands are all back in school...much to the relief of their exhausted parents, who are eager to get the house back in order - they plan to put it on the market in March, so they are eager to "declutter" and fix up the place for the "staging" - not an easy task with four little ones under the age of eight - underfoot!
They did give me a copy of "The Book Thief" as a gift, I'm happy to say.  Will get reading as soon as I make some headway with Kipling's "Kim."

I think a discussion schedule would help, don't you?  - We'll get that up soon.
It's really great to see familiar friends checking in here.  Laura, you have been missed!  It is wonderful to have you back with us again. Will look forward to your Monday morning posts>

Hope your new year is off to a good great start!  I'm curious to know how you are referring to  2010 - "two thousand ten" - "twenty ten" - or "o-ten."  So far I'm noticing that what you call it is regional.  I find it fascinating...
Happy 2010 everyone - no matter what you call it!

ALF43

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
I CALL IT-

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO 2009?"

mrssherlock

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
The most i can say about 2009?  Thanks be it is over.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ALF43

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
I will 2nd that sentiment Jackie.  It was the worst in the past 30 decades, IMO.

Aberlaine

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
I read The Book Thief early last year with my f2f book group.  It is a long book but it will hold your interest with every page.

I'd like to join this discussion and read what people think about the story.  I may even reread it, since I forget so much once I close a book for good.

I, too, am so glad 2009 is over.  I really believe 2010 will be much better for everyone.

Nancy

mrssherlock

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
Well, so far  2010 isn't doing well. 
Jackie

ALF43

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »
 Wonderful Nancy (Aberlaine), wwe will be so hPpy to have you join us in the discussion of this book.  I loved it and am just starting to reread it as we speak. 

Cheer up, MrsSherlock, January is almost over and February will start "the best of the year" for you. :D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
This is my first time to read Book Thief - but am hearing good things about it from EVERYONE.  Rave notices - "best book of the decade"...
Am finishing up with Kim - and just getting into Bruce Feiler's America's Prophet - and Jane Austen's Emma.  Did you know that PBS is airing a new Emma starting Sunday night?  And giving away copies of the book to the first ten who speak up for it.  See the PBS discussion here - or email me and I'll send you one.

- Have just finished the Book Thief's Prologue and am hooked after listening to the narrator, Death -  quite a personable fellow.  Have been thinking all day about what death will be like - and it isn't at all frightening...

Don't want to say too much - but I can't wait for this discussion to begin.  So eager to hear your thoughts on the subject!

Welcome, welcome everyone of you.  Get your hands on the book now! It's a long book...but moves quickly.   I think it will take us more than a month to discuss it.

winsummm

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
I think I've had enough of death.  the earthquake has given him over 200/000 souls already..

I have the sample on Kindle and I'll look at it, but . . . .

claire
thimk

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
Claire, I'm glad you are going to take a look at it - I think you'll be surprised.  Just the Prolgue...very very different, not what you would expect.

salan

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »
Claire, please give The Book Thief a chance.  It was one of the best books I read last year.  I recommended it to my ftf book group, but they didn't vote for it.  It is a hard book to describe and is not as much a "downer" as it sounds.  I had it on my tbr shelf for months before finally picking it up.  Once I started, I was really hooked.
Sally

horselover

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
Hi All,
The book description in the Book Bytes was so intriguing, I got it from the library. I haven't joined a discussion for a long time; I've gotten so busy since I moved to CA. But I'm hoping to find time to read "Book Thief" and join in or at least follow your posts. I do see a couple of familiar names here--JoanP and MrsSherlock.

Frybabe

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
Hi Horselover, welcome!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 07:48:47 AM »
Horselover, it is so good to see you here this morning!  You've  been missed!  Have you started The Book Thief yet?  I just cannot get over the writing, the descriptions, the metaphor. 

I'd like to echo Frybabe's welcome!!!

ALF43

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
Horse lover- Welcome! Welcome to our pre-discussion of the Book Thief.
 I know that I have a tendency to ramble and rant (just a tad) BUT I keep trying to push this book on everyone that I meet.  It is truly one of a kind and I was blown away by this guy's writing style.  It flows with movement and beauty, even at its ugliest.
 Each character becomes someone that you recognize- including our narrator -the grim reaper!  We are happy that you have found your way back to us.  We understand in life that there is plenty of chores and obligations making it difficult to get in here and read/discuss a book but you will not be disappointed with this story.

Now we've just to get winsumm to believe in us. :o

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 12:58:37 PM »
I will be joining this discussion.  Well I will be reading along and probably just lurking to see what you all have to say.  This book sounds like it is one that I want to read.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

ALF43

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Great Joan.  Be aware when you start reading it, you get sucked right in to his prose.
Welcome!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome Alf.

Joan Grimes

Aliki

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
Alf:  Our narrator is death but you become fond of this 'grim reaper"

Even before I read Alf's above comment--while I was reading the heading, in fact--I thought to myself, "Death has already endeared himself to me by description."

I hope I can make it through this one. It sounds like a book that 'everyone' would profit from reading.

aliki  (a.k.a. alliemae from "My Name is Red" days)

ALF43

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:59 AM »
Allimae- Welcome to our discussion (pre).  One becomes fond of this grim reaper in The Book Thief.  He has a kind, benevolent spirit which he demonstrates. 
It certainly is not the way that we mere mortals face the topic of death, but the guy is just doing his job. Death alone can kill hope it has been said but let's face it, it is as natural as living.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Aliki, Joan - echoing Andy's welcome - {{{welcome}}}}
I agree with you, Aliki, this book promises to make a difference in the way we view death - and life too.

Andy - that's an interesting assumption - that the grim (or not so grim) reaper is a "he"
Let's keep eyes open to see if author Zusak intends to portray "him" this way. ;)

ALF43

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
dUH jOAN-  It couldn't possibly be a woman having to complete such a task now could it? ;D

Aliki

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »
JoanP:
Andy - that's an interesting assumption - that the grim (or not so grim) reaper is a "he"

JoanP--funny you should notice that. When I was posting I was trying to decide whether it would be more correct to say her/him or wait till we read the book...and by the description of 'Death' in the heading, wasn't willing to write it as an 'It'...

p.s. who is Andy?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »
Andy -  ;)

Aliki - I do see that "he"  in the heading - perhaps it is a clue.  Or maybe Zusak has avoided revealing the gender - let's read carefully to see how he/she is portrayed in the opening chapters...  

Who is Andy?
 A good question for newcomers -especially for newcomers here.  She will be the co-leader of this discussion.  Our long-time discussion leader, Andrea, known to many as Andy goes by the username of Alf - her initials - ALF - and for some reason has added 43 after her name.  Perhaps there are 43 other Alfs registered in SeniorLearn?  Or  maybe it is her AGE?

horselover

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I haven't begun reading yet, but do have the book. I suppose you have all learned that the "grim reaper" has taken J.D.Salinger at the age of 91. I remember reading "Catcher in the Rye" many years ago and being intrigued by its strange author.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
So sorry that Death has taken JD Salinger. He was one of my favorite writers.

Joan Grimes

Aliki

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
JoanP
Who is Andy?
 A good question for newcomers -especially for newcomers here.  She will be the co-leader of this discussion.  Our long-time discussion leader, Andrea, known to many as Andy goes by the username of Alf - her initials - ALF - and for some reason has added 43 after her name.  Perhaps there are 43 other Alfs registered in SeniorLearn?  Or  maybe it is her AGE?

Thanks, JoanP...I was so wrong!!  Ever since I saw the name ALF in the reading groups and ALF's postings I was sure she was a man!! (A genius man, to be sure,) and never even heard of an Andy!!  Oh dear...don't you just love blind communications!

JoanGrimes: So sorry that Death has taken JD Salinger. He was one of my favorite writers.

I felt sorry too JoanG...I think he and Veblen [sp] were the first authors I remember from my mid- and older teen years.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
Aliki, Andrea Lynn can hold her own with the best of them, male or female.  Your mistake is understandable. ;) http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1038.0

We don't want to start the prediscussion too early - let's aim for mid month.  We don't want to burn out.   Since this is quite a hefty book, it would be a good idea for you begin to read the opening chapters before we begin the discussion on March 1.  The first week we will be discussing the Prologue on March 1 & 2 - and then Parts I and II between March 3-7.  Does that sound okay?
Of course you can  always refer to early chapters during the discussion, but we ask that you do not reveal what you have read in later chapters out of consideration for those who are reading as we go.

This is such a special story - and yet I find that I am so engrossed in the writing, the story almost becomes secondary.