Author Topic: That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo ~ November Book Club Online  (Read 38579 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo ~ November Book Club Online
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
This has been a most enjoyable discussion. I liked the book and I liked the characters.

Thank you, Traude, and fellow "discussers."

jane

bellamarie

« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »
Babi...
Let me know what you think of Palin's book, BELLA. I admit that my take on Palin so far disinclines me to listen/read anything from that source. The thought that at one time she could potentially have become our  President makes me shudder.

I sure will let you know. Since I have NO political affliation to either party, I have the luxury of keeping an open mind to anything and everything!  :o  We could have a whole entire discussion on our differences of opinions on this matter altogether.  BUT....wrong place, wrong time.   ;D  ;D  Have a great day!

Until February...........All of you have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!   AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Regards,  Marie
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
Here I am! This discussion is not  yet over.  :D.   Surely you didn't think I would absent myself without  concluding thoughts and a proper send-off  Ha!

Thank you for your posts.  I regret not having been able to reply sooner to those that require answering.

First my conclusions.

This was a difficult book to read.  Its emphatic concentration on one narrator and - to a minor extent - on  the characters in his life, seemed claustrophobic at times. The "format" is unusual - to say the least - and that may have ben a turn-off for some readers.  Interestingly enough, at his reading in Sandwich, Mass., on August 15th, the author read long segments only from Part One (!)  They did not provide a clear-cut picture of what the book is really about.
The discussion was lively and I have tremendously enjoyed it, the probing, and the feedback.

The book's publication caused a stir;  after all,  the author is a Pulitzer Prize winner (!).  I read all the reviews I could put my hands on.  Most had similar "takes"on the book; some surmised it might be autobiographical; all commented on the  horrible parents; a few saw humor, even hilarity.  All reviewers mentioned  midlife crisis.  

As I said allready, I saw no humor, no hilarity, only serio-comic aspects.  The last chapter is a bit rushed IMHO and not quite  in  "sync" with the rest of the book.  I also was not thrilled with the language, especially the  (professional ???) "lingo",  and grammatical inconsistencies (which an editor should have caught).  The  pooping seagull makes too many comebacks, and  the repeated reference to a personalized "Al Fresco" was tedious.
I believe The book is about family and marriage,  the blush and eagerness of first love (Laura), and the (perhaps inevitable)  lessening of desire as time goes by.  A personal story painted on a small tableau,  based on introspection, which not everybody likes.  But we have certainly given this book our all.

Ginny, thank you for your post.  
Yes, Griffin was plumb in the end, there was a re-connect, welcomed by both Joy and Griffin without hard feelings.

At the beginning of Chapter 11 Griffin has another dream: He is in his car with Harve in the back on the  Sagamore Bridge.  Harve is teaching him how to drive, despite Griffin's protestations that he already knows how. Then Harve has him execute a maneuver to test Griffin's reflexes.  That causes an accident during which both urns spring open and the a shes commingle.  Mercifully,  Griffin wakes up.

We have been told that our dreams reflect things we wrestle with, fear, or are concerned about. That may well have been true for Griffin, who was preoccupied with scattering the ashes the next day. It is finally accomplished with Marguerite's help, after she questioned him extensively about his parents.  
That's the ostensible reason for introducing yet another flashback  =  Griffin's tearful reminiscences about Christmases past and the search for he proper Christmas tree.

The decisive, crucial point of the story was in the tearful  telling of the Christmases past and some kind of release with the realization that he did NOT have a "pathological hatred" for his parents but loved them. It is a true epiphany  (and he tells that to Joy on the phone, and she says she knew it all along), ven though the "evolution" is not completely convincing for this reader.

Griffin did not call  Joy deliberately after the accident. Both cars, Griffin's and the young man's, were damaged.  Returning to his car, Griffin "saw that the holder for the cell phone was empty. He finally located the phone on the floor under the back seat, its screen black, and when he pressed the space bar it stayed black.  He pressed several other keys and was about to give up when the screen suddenly leapt to life with a message, 'Calling Joy'"

About Marguerite - and Harold.  
After the successful scattering and at at her request, she and Griffin had a celebratory dinner,  coincidentally in the same B&B where he had been with Joy the year before). Marguerite got dressed up for the occasion. Midway in conversation, she  said she would miss him. It mystified him because they were  scheduled to fly back to L.A.  in the morning.  
Marguerite had intuited what Griffin had not, that their time together was over. He simply could not bring himself to tell her "I love you" because he was still in love with Joy.  She even had a wager with Tommy (!!!) that Griffin would ask her to fly off to Vegas and marry her (pg. 254).

She also got in touch with Harold.  And he was there the next morning. Griffin and Marg. parted, not unhappily.

There are several discernible themes: most important, perhaps, the focus on bad parenting; the sometimes tenuous relations of family members; who takes the first step(s) after a separation;  openness; reasonableness versus using fists first; the need for compromise and for saying "sorry".

I'll post a few more answers after supper.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
P.S.
The climax, the crucial point of the story, I believe, is Griffin's realization that he  really  loved his parents.  He's  going to be at rest with Joy.. And what we deduce from this (not fully explained) development is precisely what I had suggested before: that Joy was his anchor.

I'd say the book is  sui generis = in a class/category of its own, and I'd rather not rate it.

The Italians have a wonderful saying which, I believe, is applicable here:

"Non mi fa nė freddo nė caldo" = it makes me feel neither hot nor cold.  :D

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
Closing remarks.

It has been a good journey.  
I'd like to thank Jane for # 229 and Babi for her # 230 (and many other posts from both).

Now a reply to
Sally.   I concur.  Yes, we can have a good discussion even if we have different opinions and/or do not really like a book,  whatever its genre. Our month-long exchanges  vividly prove the point. Liking helps,  but it is not a prerequisite.

I too have come to believe that we read differently;  we may have a different approach and a different reaction to a book and different expectations.  And I believe that stems from our life experiences, tastes and temperaments.  It is definitely true for our f2f book group, which I started with a mere handful of people many years ago after we moved from Virginia to New England. It is still going strong.
I second PatH's sentiments and hope you'll join us another time.

Ginny,  thank you for your encouragement and help over the years.  PatH and Alf,  it was  a pleasure.  I hope know there will be other occasions.  

It was clear to me early on that this book would not be of interest to everyone  and I do not take it amiss.  Life would be rather boring if we all had the same tastes.  Humble thanks for your kind words.

With gratitude for your participation,

Traude

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »

We're looking forward to seeing you at the

Holiday Open House

December 1 - 20

Babi

« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »
Non mi fa nė freddo nė caldo" = it makes me feel neither hot nor cold
TRAUDE
  Or as we say here, "I can take it or leave it".

See you at the new Christmas reading site.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Traude, I want to say thanks again for leading a terrific discussion.