Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 744578 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2010, 06:10:11 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Yes, when I thought about it, I realized there were three books in the Merlin series. I also read quite a few others by her at one time. If I thought about it at all, I would have assumed she was dead.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
 You mean she's not?!  Goodness, how old is she now?  No longer writing, I assume.  Bring me
up-to-date, please, STEPH.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #402 on: March 10, 2010, 06:11:54 AM »
I dont honestly know how old she would be, but older than me and I am 72.. She was an excellent writer, but someone when they mentioned her gave me the impression that they had seen a new book.. Must google and find out.

salan

« Reply #403 on: March 10, 2010, 06:43:24 AM »
I just "googled" Mary Stewart.  She's 93 yrs. old.  Didn't say whether she was still writing.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #404 on: March 10, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
93!  Really?!  My grandmother lived to that age, but then she always was a remarkable woman.
The life she lived, she had to be strong.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #405 on: March 10, 2010, 08:42:44 AM »
My Mother is going to be 103 years old on April 25 this year.  She is truly a remarkable woman.  Mind is still sharp.  She still reads and works crossword puzzles and other more challenging puzzles.  She is almost totally deaf.  Uses a magnifying glass to read. She has a hole in the retina of one eye.   I visit her every day.  She has always been my best friend.  I do not think she would take on writing a book though.  I really doubt that Mary Stewart is still writing. But then what do I know.  Just the over whelming joy of having a granddaughter accepted to Medical School yesterday but i have already spammed these boards with that news. Oh well it is good to be able to express joy on a rainy , stormy day in Alabama in early March.
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Gumtree

« Reply #406 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
Spam away Joan Grimes - it's wonderful of you to share your joy with us. .I bet your own mother is as pleased as punch about her gt granddaughter too - and why not. Good news is always welcome everywhere.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #407 on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
Finished Gregg Olson"s book Bitter Almonds and I loved it. I read all his books, they are true and most center around the Pacific Northwest and are really thrillers. I also love Greg Isles and most of his books center in Natche Mississippi.
Great authors both of them.

mrssherlock

« Reply #408 on: March 10, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
Judy:  Northwest authors are always on my list.  Thanks for a new name to watch for.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #409 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:14 AM »
Oh Joan, spam away. I rejoice with you. Grandchildren are quite special and this one sounds like a keeper.
Still sloging away at Guinivere.. Some of the book is so interesting, but other parts get too too deep in conjecture.

Gumtree

« Reply #410 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
Hope you keep slogging away Steph. I feel much the same but am still finding the book interesting. The author Goodrich is certainly not one to entertain any view unless it agrees with her own and let's face it - historical accuracy is impossible with these legends.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #411 on: March 11, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
Congrats to your granddaughter, Joan.  Where is she going to med school?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #412 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
hank you Mary Z.  She will be attending Med school in West Virginia.  It is located at Lewisburg West Virginia.  That is near Greenbrier where the Presidential Bunker is located.  I hear that it is a really beautiful area.  I am sure that it gets very cold there though. Joan Grimes

mabel1015j

« Reply #413 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »
How wonderful Joan! To have your mother still living and sharp, and a gr-dgt off to medical school! Your stars must be aligned properly........ ;)
Maybe it's the good company you keep here on SL....... :P

It's a good day!............................jean

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2010, 01:25:40 PM »
Thank you Jean.
That is my granddaughter who is off to med school and of course my mother's great grand.
The wonderful things make all of the other things seem worth it.

Babi

« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
 I actually ran out of something to read this past weekend.  So I went
to scanning my bookshelves, looking for something that appealed.
Would you believe I opted for Washington Irving's "Sketch Book"?
Irving is so faithful to the ideals of that day. It was a pleasure just to read that elegant prose and the gentle views of his times.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
i have traveled in that part of the country in our motorhome...Kept looking for Icabhod Craine and the headless horseman.  Sometime strange what pops into ones head as they remember things they have read and studied in the past.

Steph

« Reply #417 on: March 12, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »
We went to upstate New York, etc last summer in the rv.. There are some truly beautiful places in upstate New York. I loved Chatauqua and vow to go back and take classes someday.

Babi

« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
 I am frequently surprised by the odd things that pop into my head, JOANG, especially when
I'm half awake. ???

My ex-husband is from up-state New York, STEPH.  During the time I knew him, his folks had
some cabins on the St. Lawrence where regulars came yearly for the fishing. I remember
walking up a hill that had tiny wild strawberries, which I naturally sampled.  Lovely memory.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
My late Husband was from the Catskill Mountains of New York.  It is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen and filled with interesting lore and legends.  We used to spend at least a month every summer in that area.  We would take our motor home and camp and visit around to his relatives...his sisters, one of his brothers and his oldest daughter live in the area.  I have only been back twice since his death.  Once for the interment and then once for a visit with the sisters and brother right after his first great grand child was born.  It was a nice visit.  I flew up to Binghampton and one of my sister's-in-law and brother-in-law met me at the airport.  However Delta Airlines no longer flies into that airport and I now feel that it is too involved to try to fly up there again.  Also the in-laws are getting too old to drive that far to pick me up also.  I would really love to drive up there again.  It is a wonderful drive up through Tn, VA through the Shenondoah Valley, and on up to Mt Upton where my husband's family live.  Oh well at least I have had that experience and have wonderful memories of it all.If the temp ever got up to about 80 degrees the natives of the area would always say to us " Well you managed to hit our one day of summer this year".   Then everyone would laugh and we would launch into tales of what summer was like here in Alabama.

Tomereader1

« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm sure most of you here have read "The Help".  There is an interesting interview with the author, Kathryn Stockett, at @katiecouric:Kathryn Stockett.  It runs over an hour, but is worth the time.  She also has, via Skype, two book clubs, who have questions/input, and a final interview with three ladies from Jackson, Mississippi. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
Sounds very interesting...I really enjoyed reading that book...I am the person recommended it to these boards.  Thanks for that link.

Joan Grimes

mabel1015j

« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »
I just started the first chapter of Guinevere last night. Two people  had mentioned that it was hard going, but they loved the 2nd chapter. I actually enjoyed the first chapter - but, it is another book w/out footnotes, which frustrates me, as i said in the Am'n Prophet discussion. At one point she makes a statement something to the effect that Arthur has more literary references, or issuings than any one else. It's not clear as to what time period she is speaking for, but i tho't "REally? More than Lincoln or Napoleon?"

I remember sometime ago reading/seeing something that was deciding if Arthur was a real person, or how many persons might have been culled together to make the fictional Arthur. She appears to be sure that there was an Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot as they stand. She mentions gravesites, etc. Huuuummmm. Looking forward to reading some more of the book............................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
I have loved the time we've spent in upstate NY. Very beautiful and interesting.

Gumtree

« Reply #424 on: March 13, 2010, 04:19:23 AM »
Mabel--Jean: I didn't really find the first chapter 'hard going' but just a little dry -  my expectations were probably for a different kind of book.
I'm into Chapter VI and have found the assumptions Goodrich draws to be fascinating. Interesting too are the threads she pulls together.

The fictional Arthur combines the attributes of many stories and I can live with that - it's what makes the whole legend so interesting.

The historical Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere and the rest are real but I doubt any scholar will be able to disentangle them from the web of so many intertwined stories that have grown up around them and have their roots in France and Germany, Scandinavia - let alone England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

That we are here reading and discussing these legends today so many centuries later is proof of their power.

I agree that the lack of footnotes in this book is something of a drawback - an irritation perhaps - though I will say she has provided an extensive bibliography and the index is OK too.

Steph

« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »
I agree on Guinivere. She pulls together so many legends.. The false Guinivere, who seems to be of french origin is particularly interesting to me. Noone could be that much like the real one..But the book draws you in if you like the Arthur legend.

Aberlaine

« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
Speaking of Arthurian legend books, I read The Mists of Avalon ("The magical saga of the women behind King Arthur's throne.")by Marion Zimmer Bradley some years ago and loved it.  I bought the book, which I don't normally do, and just may reread it someday soon.

I've downloaded The Help from my library and have it on my iPod Shuffle.  However, the darn thing thinks it needs to shuffle the chapters, too, so I've listened to much of the book - twice at least!  :D

Nancy

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
I read the "The Mists of Avalon " some where in my past too.  I don't think it was so many years ago but have no idea how many it has been since time has suddenly flown by me and I am in that time period called old now.   :'( Whatever that means.  I liked it when I read it but sure don't want to read it again.  I guess there are too many other things out there to read even if they are too formulmatic.  New roads to follow.  My late husband and I went to France and followed in the steps of the wandering minstrels who spread the Arthurian legends. (That is if  you believe that is where they came from to begin with.)Joan Grimes

Steph

« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2010, 05:35:32 AM »
I did not realize until Guinivere that the french are so into the Arthur legend..  I liked the Avalon series from Bradley, but then I really read all of her books and loved Darkover.

salan

« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2010, 07:06:16 AM »
I just finished Edgar Sawtelle for my ftf reading group.  What a "downer"!! I wanted to throw the book across the room and stomp on it when I finished.  I certainly do not intend to read this author, again--even if it was well-written.  It will be interesting to hear what others in the group have to say.  I should have known what kind of book it was when I found out it was an Oprah selection.  I would not have finished it if it hadn't been for my reading group.  There are too many good books out there and too little time.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »
 Thanks for the book review, SALLY.  I was only mildly interested in the Sawtelle story and I'm
definitely not in the mood for a downer.  Oprah has recommended some good books, but
they are a bit slanted toward the angst.  I think we do need to read books like that; they
broaden our understanding.  But too much can be,..well...too much!

Gumtree

« Reply #431 on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
Steph: Yes, indeed the French have long laid claim to the Arthur legends and some believe they invented the lot. But not so.  Arthur stories were written in Wales long before Chretien de Troyes popularised the legend for his medieval audience in France from where it spread to other countries in Europe- Troyes and later French  writers were  in fact indebted to the Welsh sources and use Welsh names for some characters.   Best known of the Welsh literature- and the greatest - is The Mabinogion which I guess you already know.

The Guinivere book is turning out to be absorbing, annoying, fascinating and irritating in turn. Can't think why I've had it for so long and not read it before this. 

mrssherlock

« Reply #432 on: March 15, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
Finally got my copy of Guinivere.  I'll be trailing along behind.  Wonder what her name is in Welsh since Guinivere is obviously French.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
Salan, I've had Sawtelle in my TBR pile for quite some time. If I had known it was an Oprah selection I might not have bought it.

CallieOK

« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
I plowed through Sawtelle and wondered why anybody would enjoy reading this type of story.  It isn't that I want all my reading to be Pollyannish (is that a word?) fluff - but I do not enjoy reading about terrible lives and mistreatments over..and..over..and..etc.

Tomereader1

« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
Well, I read it BEFORE it was an Oprah selection, and I mostly enjoyed it; however, I could see where it was headed and not happy the author foreshadowed that so much.  Also, the ending should have been better, but don't see how it could have been.  Do I remember reading somewhere that there will be a sequel or prequel?  Or that this is part of a trilogy?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

salan

« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
Callie, I found nothing redeeming in Edgar Sawtelle, and the author couldn't have come up with a more hopeless ending.  I, also, do not need to always "Pollyannaish" books, but do not need to read books that are "dark".  Tomereader, if there is a sequel, it will not be on my tbr list!
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Sally:  Sorry that you are so unhappy about Edgar.  While it is not a happy story I was intrigued by Edgar's coming of age and would like to read more by David Wroblewski.  When does your book club discuss this book?  Please let us know what happens in the discussion.
Jackie

Gumtree

« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »
Finally got my copy of Guinivere.  I'll be trailing along behind.  Wonder what her name is in Welsh since Guinivere is obviously French.

Glad you got your copy of Guinivere. You won't be trailing me  for long as I've had to put it on hold for a couple of days - will get back to reading it soon.

As for her name - she is known by many names. In Welsh I think it is Guanhumara - which is the name given in the first of the Arthurian texts we have - Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain

Hope you keep us posted of your progress.

salan

« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:57 AM »
Will someone please explain the difference between this site and "The Library"?  I am never sure which site to post on, but assume that others (like myself) read both sites.
I am currently reading "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls.  It's a quick read and I am enjoying it.  I haven't read her other memoir, The Glass Castle.  Have any of you read either of these books?
Sally