Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 744747 times)

JimNT

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #600 on: May 04, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

I have often admitted to possessing some inexpicable drive to read the entire book, however despicable I might find it.  I have been defeated in my attempt to read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  I've "read" only about 60 pages and find it absolutely unreadable.  To a large degree I believe that the author is writing to a much younger audience to whom I cannot relate.  Secondly, the author's style and syntax is far beyond my mental reach.  My ego is greatly diminished when I read those glorius reviews and, since my son presented this book to me for a birthday present, I must now admit to him that I'm not as smart as I pretend.  This has been a sad adventure.  Maybe I'll just lie to him and say something along the lines of "someone stole it."

Steph

« Reply #601 on: May 05, 2010, 06:01:21 AM »
I dont know.. Sometimes highly  touted new authors are not for our age group.. I wouldnt assume you are not smart enough.. How about it is not interesting enough to hold you..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JimNT

« Reply #602 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
Steph:  Thanks you for your comment.

salan

« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2010, 07:52:22 AM »
I enjoyed Roses, but then I like family sagas with Southern settings.  I recently returned 2 books to the library after reading only 20 pages in one and 30 in another.  I usually give books at least 50 pages, but simply could not get into these.  One was Crepes of Wrath by Tamar Myers---too full of trite cliches and another mystery that I can't even remember to title of.  I just checked out South of Broad by Pat Conroy and find it very good so far.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #604 on: May 05, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
 I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dissatisfied with her books lately.  I was beginning to worry about how crabby I seem to be lately.   >:(    At least I'm in good company.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #605 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »
I tho't i'd really like Tamar Myers books, seeing that i'm from Pa Dutch country - i've read 2 and was not excited about them. What a disappointment...............jean

Steph

« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »
Tamar Myers is definitely a cozy writer and she seems to love formulas.. I read her African book and was not even that crazy about that one..

mabel1015j

« Reply #607 on: May 06, 2010, 11:33:46 AM »
I just started A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett, looks like it may be an interesting read. Has anyone read it? This is just my second Follett book. I had  the impression that his books were all "action/spy" stuff, but then i found Pillars of the EArth and it was pretty good, so i looked for another of his historical novels and found this one..........jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »
The subject of reading award winning books has been spoken of here.  How can a book I don't like (or even despise) win an award. This article in the WSJ books section is one person's answer.  http://tinyurl.com/fictionawards
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mabel1015j

« Reply #609 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »
the novel that "shall best present the whole atmosphere of American life."
I had no idea that was the criteria, so the Pulitzer Prize has nothing to do w/ the best piece of  literature of the year, which is what i always tho't it was about. Well, dam, i learn something every single day - and a lot of it here on SL.

Altho it doesn't really matter, i don't pay any attention to book prizes in deciding what i'm going to read and when lists are put out, i've usually only read about 1/2 of the books on them.

Thanks for that Jackie ................ i can see why A Thousand Acres won using that criteria. ...................... jean

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #610 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
I just started A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett, looks like it may be an interesting read. Has anyone read it? This is just my second Follett book. I had  the impression that his books were all "action/spy" stuff, but then i found Pillars of the EArth and it was pretty good, so i looked for another of his historical novels and found this one..........jean

I have read all of Follet's books.  I have always enjoyed his writing..

I hope that you enjoy A Place Called Freedom, Jean.
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #611 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »
I have read most of Follett, but A Place Called Freedom is not one I have. Will look for it.

salan

« Reply #612 on: May 10, 2010, 06:41:52 AM »
I read "Garden Spells" by Sarah Allen Addison some time back and really enjoyed it.  Now I have discovered that Ms. Addison has two books that I haven't read--"The Sugar Queen" and The Girl who Chased the Moon."  I have put them on my TBR list.  Have any of you read these?  What did you think?

I also put Rebecca Wells book "The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder" on my list.  Anyone have comments on this one??
Sally

JimNT

« Reply #613 on: May 10, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »
I just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.  Judging from past comments, nearly all have read this mystery but this is my first read of a Larsson book and I must say that he is an accomplished writer.  It's a great page turner.

Steph

« Reply #614 on: May 10, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
I like Rebecca Wells, so will look for it.

Babi

« Reply #615 on: May 11, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
  I really do need to read that Larsson book.  When it was first mentioned here my library
didn't have it, but now it seems they do.  More than one copy, in fact.  Thanks for bringing it
up again, JIM, otherwise I might never have re-checked.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nlhome

« Reply #616 on: May 11, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
I started The Three Weismans of Westport last week. Did not like the characters for some reason. Then I picked up Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I like the characters, but for some reason I did not have the patience to read the book. I guess too much going on. I will check out the Major again, when I'm in a more introspective mood.

So now what?

I do have Garden Spells in my TBR stack, but maybe I should pick up a short mystery instead.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #617 on: May 11, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »
I enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand but thought it ended very abrubtly.  However the more I thought about the more I understood the reason for the abrupt ending...

I just read The Apothecary's Daughter byJulie Klassen...I really enjoyed it.  If you like a historical romance you might enjoy it.

However the one I read all night was Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay and I really liked it.
JoanGrimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #618 on: May 11, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
Sorry you didn't like Weissmanns; I do have a funny sense of humor and see things in that light when others do not.  Once in 7th grade English we were doing silent reading and I got tickled so I had to laugh out loud.  The teacher didn't see any humor in what we were reading nor did my classmates.  Made me feel about 3 inches tall to be the center of all those eyes, starring . . .  I've read one other book by Schine, The New Yorkers, and her writing just seems to click with my sensibilities.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #619 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:58 AM »
Yes, it is funny that a sense of humor manifests itself so differently for people.

marjifay

« Reply #620 on: May 23, 2010, 03:04:17 AM »
I agree, Joan, that SARAH'S KEY was a great read--one of my best of 2009!

I'm reading THE LITTLE STRANGER by Sarah Waters.  Has anyone read it?  This is my first (and probably last) book by Waters.  Am a little disappointed in it and finding it quite repetitious.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #621 on: May 23, 2010, 08:47:33 AM »
Two 'pats' for "Sarah's Key".  I'll have to add it to my list.  Rosnay is a
new name for me.

Steph

« Reply #622 on: May 23, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »
Finished Anna Pigeons latest adventure. It was fun and enjoyable.. I did not like the winter one, but this one was back into her life and even had a bit of her husband in it..Anna needs to be with him more often..

JimNT

« Reply #623 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
I'm faced with a serious enigma.  I just completed The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and have started The Girl Who Played With Fire, each by the recently deceased Stieg Larsson.  Both are laced with violence and sex, the latter of which is royally overdone.  Yet the books are extremely well written and the plots are mesmerizing.  He left a third manuscript in this series with his editor before he died at a young age, and I'm sure to buy it when it's published.  I can take the violence if it doesn't distract from the storyline and this doesn't, but the sex is an embarassment to an old codger like myself and I would never recommend Mr. Larsson's books to anyone I know.  Senior Learn gives me the opportunity to express my feelings with anonoymity.  I have a library stocked with books that I'd readily recommed and know that there are millions more of the same ilk.  So why am I reading Stieg Larsson?

Tomereader1

« Reply #624 on: May 24, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »
Mr. Larsson was a very good novelist.  I thought perhaps the S & V was a bit overdone, but you have to know where Salander is "coming from" to appreciate the story, especially the second one.  I just read a review in yesterday's paper, that warns everyone not to expect much from the third in the series, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest", implying that it was not nearly as well-done as the first two.  I've only read Dragon Tatoo so far.  I read a lot of mysteries/detective novels, and have come to "expect" sex and violence, so I just kind of let it roll off my back.  Movies are the same, but hey, I can turn off the movie in an instant if it upsets/bothers me(or others) in any way.  JIm, I recommend you don't spend your hard-earned money on this 3rd episode, just wait till it's out and at your library.  I think I have waxed unpoetic in other boards about overdone S&V in the movies.  They in Hollowood seem to think we like this, or that it sells.  For me, it won't sell tickets...if it has a star whose acting I like, I may rent it when it comes out.  Otherwise, phfffft!  And I wouldn't pay $6.00 to $10.00 to see much of the stuff that passes for box office fodder these days.  Look at the Oscar nominations:  Up in the Air (Clooney); to me that was a terrible waste of time, although I did like the two actresses who played opposite him.  Look back in time to "The Departed" that won almost every category it was nominated in.  Not much sex, but vile language every half sentence, and violence out the hoo-ha! (You know it's a really good movie when all the "stars" are dead at the end!) LOL LOL LOL

At the other end of the spectrum, I just watched "Up" the animated film.  Very cute!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #625 on: May 24, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
If the story holds up without lots of  sex, why put it in? I think a lot of writers put in extraneous stuff just to fill pages. More pages, more pay.

The very first book I read that had a lot of gratuitous sex in it was a Harold Robbins.  While the story was very good, it could have been cut in half and been just as good.  I don't remember the title but it was the only Robbins I bothered to read.

JimNT

« Reply #626 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »
Thanks to tomereader & crybabe.  Enjoyed your response and recommendation not to bother with the Larsson's third novel.  Tome, your right; simply let it roll off the back and enjoy the story.  Cry, I, too, believe that much of the s&v nonsense can be cut without damaging the plot.  As for Lisbeth, she is defined by the kinky sex.

JimNT

« Reply #627 on: May 24, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
Excuse me, Frybabe, not Crybabe.

Frybabe

« Reply #628 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »
Excuse me, Frybabe, not Crybabe.

;D  It could well be Crybabe, Jim. I got laid off work two weeks ago after working at Fry for 15yrs . What a pain to have to recreate a resume and go job hunting. Can't afford to retire just yet.

Steph

« Reply #629 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »
Hmm. I have Larson on my to be read list, but lots of violence?? and sex.. Maybe not. Violence since the accident is beyond me. I start to cry and cannot watch movies with any and dont really want to read books with it either.

Babi

« Reply #630 on: May 25, 2010, 09:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip, TOME.  I will avoid "The Departed".  I haven't seen
"Up In the Air", but had heard that it was a good and upbeat movie. Has
anyone else here seen it? If so, what was you take on it?

Best of luck on your job hunt, FRYBABE. I know it isn't easy.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #631 on: May 25, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »
Babi, I gave Up in the Air 4(out of 5) starts.  It's upbeat, fun, but not particularly memorable.

Frybabe

« Reply #632 on: May 25, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »
Thanks Babi.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #633 on: May 25, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
I feel like odd man out here but I read both of Larson's novels. Had to just slog through the first one and the second one went  a little bit faster but I did not like either one.
My kindle popped up this morning with the 3rd one and I called them to take it off. I am not not paying for a third book when I didn't like the other two.
I have been reading some Mariah Stewart books and enjoy them. They are a fast read a dn I particularly like Detective Rizzso.

mrssherlock

« Reply #634 on: May 25, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »
Talk about odd man out, I liked the Larsson books.  Violence and sex I can skip past but his description of the financial, societal, and moral practices are fascinating.  The leading characters politically interest me; conservatively political believers may not be comfortable with the liberality of the magazine but it suits me just fine.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #635 on: May 26, 2010, 05:57:59 AM »
I would probably like the politics, etc, but still the violence makes me put them on a much later route.

Babi

« Reply #636 on: May 26, 2010, 08:39:06 AM »
  Side note:   PEDLN, great picture of you in the heading.  You're looking wonderful.  I didn't
know you were one of our award-winning Latin students....but I'm certainly not surpried.
Congratulations!

Steph

« Reply #637 on: May 27, 2010, 05:56:55 AM »
Shes right. Good picture. I even remember why Pedlin and not your name from our talkes in Charleston.. Some day I will get some extra time and then back to Latin, I will go.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #638 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
Steph and Babi, thanks for the kind words.  And Steph, yes, do go back to Latin.  Since you've been there before you know how good those "aha" and "oh yeah" moments feel.  In addition to the learning and the fun, Latin is a great picker-upper.

Steph

« Reply #639 on: May 30, 2010, 05:56:36 AM »
I am really thinking about the latin classes.. Hmm. I need some sort of different stimulation. My brain needs other things to do beside grieve.