Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 744591 times)

Aberlaine

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:06 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

I'm about to start the first book in the Cedar Cove series, 16 Lighthouse Road, by Debbie Macomber.  My book group took July off and I want to read some simple, quick books.  If I like it I'll continue with the second one.

Nancy

Steph

« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2010, 06:49:54 AM »
 Iam not a Russo fan, so will skip it.. Lived in New England for 10 years. Some of the cape is wonderful.. but not all.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #762 on: July 08, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
My favorite Cape Cod book is not fiction: "The Outermost House" by Henry Beston. Back before the Cape was built up, he built himself a house on the Eastern edge, lived there for a year, and wrote about his experiences. I reread it when I'm stressed, and let the sea wash the "busy-fussy" out of me.

mabel1015j

« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »
Nancy - i don't know that Macomber series, i'll have to look for it.......i want some light stuff also......i'ts to hot to think  :D.......jean

Steph

« Reply #764 on: July 09, 2010, 05:40:08 AM »
Yes, light is better this summer. Just too muggy down here in Florida..

mabel1015j

« Reply #765 on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »
I just finished my third Jan Goldstein book The Prince of Nantucket His writing is so beautiful, almost lyrical. This book also includes 3 generations, as did All That Matters his first book. He speaks to real issues, again a young woman, this time a teen-ager, is having real problems w/ not having much connection w/ a father who is divorced from her mother. The protagonist is the father who is forced by his sister to reconnect w/ a mother who he hasn't had a relationship w/ for decades. The mother is a renown artist living on Nantucket who has alzheimer's, but has lucid moments. It's a real story of how we make choices in our lives and often have made the choice of ambition and later in our lives begin to figure out that those roles are not necessarily what we want in the maturity of our lives. It also talks about the reality of finding out as adults that what we tho't was happening in our families in our youth was not the truth at all. .................... I remember liking that issue in Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe. .......i recomment all three of Goldstein's books, the third one is very different, a little mystery titled The Bride Will Keep Her Name .......jean

Steph

« Reply #766 on: July 11, 2010, 06:06:58 AM »
I am reading a book called Lost andFound.. About a woman who is unexpectedly widowed, retreats to an island, lies or at least doesnot mention, she is a psychologist or a widow.. She goes to work part time as an animal warden,, and has met several interesting humans. I can only read a bit at a time, but it is interesting. Very different from the way I feel, but she expresses her grief and anger in dreams.

Babi

« Reply #767 on: July 11, 2010, 08:28:50 AM »
  Thank God for dreams. They are often the only outlet people have for the emotions they try
to keep buried.  They've probably helped a great many people cope.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aberlaine

« Reply #768 on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:15 PM »
I've gotten myself a new mp3 player which works wonderfully.  I'm listening to The Bridge of Sighs and have added the first book in the Swedish Millenium series: The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo.  In addition, I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl.  That's going very quickly, unlike The Bridge of Sighs.  I may have to stop listening to that one.

Nancy

mrssherlock

« Reply #769 on: July 11, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
Nancy:  My library has audion books to download for MP3 players so I'm looking at models now.  It's encouraging to hear about your success with this system. 

A pleasant little book that made quite an impact on me is Somedays There's Pie by Catherine Landis. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/catherine-landis/some-days-there-s-pie.htm
A 20-yr-old woman flees her husband who has become an evangelical Christain, caught up with a group of 20 some families who're setting up their own Little White Church.  Ruth had lkeft home to get away from her family, not monsters, but not a good fit for our girl.  She comes to rest looking at a river and a little, bent-over elderly lady sits beside her so they start to talk.  It's no surprise that Ruth goes home with Rose who's standing by 'til Ruth gets back on track.  The friendship between these two, 72-yr-old Rose, 20-yr-old Ruth, is beautiful and sweet, though this is not a smarmy over-sugared story.  These are 'real' people, warts and all, who find a deep bond in spite of their differences.  I'll be looking for Landis' next book. BTW, did I mention this is another southern women story? Is that a separate genre now do you suppose?  It is certainly very popular here.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

roshanarose

« Reply #770 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »
I have been meaning to recommend this book for some time.  Has anyone read "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly?  An Irish writer who normally writes crime, and is the creator of Charlie Bird, the private detective.  The Book of Lost Things is quite far removed from his other books.  It is a kind of fairy tale for adults.  The only part I didn't like was his take on Snow White, but the rest I loved.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

mabel1015j

« Reply #771 on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:45 PM »
Jackie - will look for C. Landis, that sounds like a good read........jean

Steph

« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2010, 05:40:44 AM »
Will check out Landis.. Sounds good. I have the Book of Lost Dreams in my TBR pile.. Just have not gotten around to it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
Jackie, Catherine Landis is going to be the speaker at our Annual Meeting in November (Friends of the Library of Chattanooga/Hamilton County Bicentennial Library).  She was raised here, and her parents still live here.  I've talked to her on the phone, and she sounds great.  I'm in the middle of Some Days There's Pie.  Her second book is called Harvest.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »
Maryz:  Lucky you.  She sounds like someone it would be great to talk with, listen to.  I'll be eager to hear how the event goes.  Harvest is now on my list.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #775 on: July 13, 2010, 06:02:24 AM »
It is always fun when you get to meet an author whose books you have enjoyed..

mabel1015j

« Reply #776 on: July 13, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »
PIcked up "Somedays there's Pie" yesterday at the library, haven't started it yet, have a couple others to finish first..........jean

Aberlaine

« Reply #777 on: July 13, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »
Just received four books in the Mitford Years series from Amazon.  I was looking for some quick, light reading and I saw that this series was recommended.  I need to wait until I finish listening to the books I've downloaded or I'll be completely confused!

Steph

« Reply #778 on: July 14, 2010, 05:47:00 AM »
 I listened to most of the Mitford series. Very light, calm and sweet tempered. Not much plot but the characters are fun.

mabel1015j

« Reply #779 on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
The Stephen Birmingham book, Shades of Fortune, that i picked up a week ago is o.k. Typical SB, NYC, Jewish, wealthy family fight. Entertaining. I as think i said before, i haven't read a SB in a long time and just took it when i saw it.............jean

Steph

« Reply #780 on: July 15, 2010, 05:35:27 AM »
Jean, I agree that Birmingham is one of those old authors, who is predictable, but like you, I pick him up if I see one.. Interesting take always on old Jewish families in NYC.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #781 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
Was it here where someone recommmended The Postmistress?  I had trouble at first with the jumping around between London and the US, and with the characters that just seemed to appear without introduction.  But now I'm finally getting into it and am enjoying it.  The chapters dealing with the London blitz and the broadcasters there are fascinating.

Another title I saw recommended here, I think, I had to return without finishing -- The Imperfectionists -- well reviewed and highly recommended by many.  Maybe another time.  I think timing sometimes affects our mood about books, just as it does with films, but this title just didn't appeal.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #782 on: July 19, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
Pedlin, I just finished the POSTMISTRESS.  A good book, but I'll say no more.  Post when you finish it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #783 on: July 19, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
Just finished Almost Paradise by Susan Issacs. I've liked most of her books, some are laugh out-loud funny, some are more serious, but good stories. This one is just so-so, and lord have mercy, it's over 600 pages long........i read to the end, but i wasn't sure i was going to make it. I tho't of quiting a couple times, but plowed thru because she had set up the book w/ a look at the end before you started the first chapter, so i was curious to find out how this woman got in the predicametn that she was in at the end............in a happier situation, i got the sixteenth Evanovich from the library yestereday, read the first 100 pages last night............jean

Steph

« Reply #784 on: July 20, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
I like Susan Isaacs, but the early ones are better. Evanovich is great when it come to Stephanie.. Not fond of the early stuff being reprinted and dont do graphic novels.

marjifay

« Reply #785 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:26 AM »
I just finished reading DOOMSDAY BOOK by Connie Willis with another group.  I was hesitant about reading it since her Lincoln's Dreams was a DNF for me.  But I really liked Doomsday Book.   About a history student who goes back in time to the Middle Ages.  Just like being there yourself at a horrible time.  But offset with subtle humor.  Very good.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mrssherlock

« Reply #786 on: July 20, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
Marj:  Doomsday Book is a favorite of mine, one I read over again every few years.  Willis has written more about that History Department and its students' forays into the wilds of the past.  One funnye on is To Say nothing of the Dog which stars an Oscar Wilde Victorian Age setting (think of "The Importance of Being Ernest").  Her latest, Blackout, also shares that milieu and is book 1 of 2:   http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/connie-willis/blackout.htm  As the title hints it is about London during WWII and book 2, All Clear completes the tale. 
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #787 on: July 20, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
Not that I am big on plays, but The Importance of Being Ernest is my very favorite.

marjifay

« Reply #788 on: July 20, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
Thanks, Jackie, for your recommendations of more by Connie Willis.  I will add them to my list.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #789 on: July 20, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
Was it here that I heard about "The Lumbly Lines" some time ago? I liked it, and am now trying to figure out what id the second in the series.

Steph

« Reply #790 on: July 21, 2010, 05:41:53 AM »
There are three Lumby. I read the first and have the two others in my tbr file.. Nice gentle sort of books.
I loved To Say Nothing of the dog, but have put aside Doomsday until I can deal with death better.

mrssherlock

« Reply #791 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
Joan:  you might enjoy a look at the website of the author, Gail Fraser,  Her husband did the charming art for the books and his works can be purchased there.  http://www.lumbybooks.com/
Jackie

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #792 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
One of Susan Isaacs' best books IMO is "Shining Through".  It was published in 1988 about a young woman during the war years who goes from being "an average American girl who is transformed into an extraordinary woman of action and shining courage" (from the blurb).  I got it at one of our "Friends of the Library" sales for a quarter and have read it a couple of times.  I've tried several of her other books and didn't care for them at all.

Steph

« Reply #793 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
I loved Isaacs first book. A very funny mystery based on Long Island, where I lived for a year. LIstening to the last part of a Jody Picoult about an Asburgers Syndrom child..Got it for the Nashville trip to play in the car.. Interesting in that it seems to consist of several voices..

Aberlaine

« Reply #794 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »
I listened to most of the Mitford series. Very light, calm and sweet tempered. Not much plot but the characters are fun.
That's what I need right now, Steph, calm and quiet.  It seems my days have gotten very hectic and I need to escape into another world that's relaxed.  Thanks for the review.

Nancy

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #795 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
We've just now opened the vote for fall book discussions.  You can vote for your top choice in Part I of the poll and then in Part II click on ALL of those you would be interested in discussing at some time.  Some great choices - note that there are reviews linked to the book titles in the header in the Suggestion Box  if you are not familiar with some of them. 

Are you ready? -
  Click Here to Cast your Vote! -

Steph

« Reply #796 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
I am still listening to the Jody Picoult.. The research must have been extensive. She really delves into Asburgers.. I still do not quite grip why the mother insists that Jacob ( who has asburgers) never lies.. Because of course he does and misleads as well. Oh well books are books in the end.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #797 on: July 24, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »
Jackie: thanks a bunch. I've ordered the second Lumbly book (Stealing Lumbly) online.

Steph

« Reply #798 on: July 25, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
Senior brain kicking in. I am read a book called?? Journal of Lost Things.. or some such. A story of a Tasmanian girl who comes to NYC at age 18 and goes to work in a vast used book store. I just love it so far. I think it is the first book for the author.. I also think someone mentioned it here and that is why I have it..Anyway.. Thanks to someone .. It is a good book thus far.

salan

« Reply #799 on: July 25, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »
Just finished a book called In the heart of the Canyon by Elisabeth Hyde.  It was about a two week trip rafting through the Grand Canyon.  There were a varied group of 12 people and their guides.  Interesting.  I have also started the newest Miss Julia book by Ann Ross.  Perfect for a summer read.
Sally