Author Topic: Poetry Page  (Read 684593 times)

Babi

Re: Poetry Page
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »
Welcome to our Poetry Page.
FairAnna and Barbara will alternate creating a focus for us - The poetry page is a haven for those of us who listen to words that open our hearts, and imagination, and allow our feelings be known about the poems we share - We are looking forward to continuing this tradition.

Please, joins us this month as Fairanna helps us look closer at the work of: THOMAS HARDY

Born 1840 the son of a stonemason in Dorsetshire, England he left fiction writing for poetry, and published eight collections, including Wessex Poems (1898) and Satires of Circumstance (1912). Thomas Hardy died in 1928.

FAIRANNA, I loved your description of your garden, and I wish I could see it. Perhaps you could take some pictures of the blooming trees, and the Empress iris when it appears.  My 'garden' is limited now, due both to space and my inability to do all I once could. (Not that I was ever a great gardener.)  I had a lovely area of Wandering Jew under a tree, but last Spring a new group I hired to do the mowing cut most of it down out of sheer ignorance.  Although WJ grows fast, the weeds have been faster and are proving hard to dislodge.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

fairanna

« Reply #241 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »
Babi what I have is thanks to God since some of His creatures MOLES are decimating it..but the  plum tree is in full bloom and I think of it as a SHE since the blossoms look like a debutants dress ( at least from the past) and I have fewer iris since it seems moles enjoy them...and in May some morning I will awake and a fragrance will fill the air and it is my apple tree..too high now for me to gather its fruit ...the squirrels love it and the birds and my tall neighbor retrieved enough last year for his wife to bake some pies....the dogwood will bloom soon and that is special..I once wrote a poem about its blossoms..still closed they looked like a thousand communion cups..IF I can  figure out how to get my pictures on my computer I can email some ...I still have azaleas, and they will soon cheer me, the moles seem to enjoy rooting in my iris beds so I am not sure how many will be here but they have given me a great deal of pleasure over the years ...My oldest son is trying to help me renovate my  yard and I keep planting hoping that some of my choices will offend the moles and they will depart...

AND Marj thanks for reminding me it is SPRING ..the temp doesnt feel like it and the day promises clouds and rain ....I  dont FEEL spring this year...in the past I KNEW it well and could feel the air ...beneath the still cool breeze a warm one would touch my face and I KNEW it was Spring...Virginia summers are usually TOO hot so come summer I will most likely complain!! We are never satisfied .. but would we like only our choices...? I prefer  surprises

fairanna

« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
Choosing a book to take to a doctors appointment I picked up a small collection of Hardys poems...and read the following  Hardy was 58 years old when his first book of poetry was written.. Which explains a lot of the sadness and looking back and even understanding his concern with death.... the author made this comment ...He had the unique ability to infuse even the most mundane subject with lyrical resonance and penetrating emotion... The biography in this book is fuller than I have read before ...even when he was young he thought of himself as a poet but his earlier works did not sell and he decided to try writing which did sell and provided him with enough money to devote himself to being what he always considered himself   a poet...I find it interesting that his books now are considered excellent examples of his time    like Hardy though it is his poetry that charms me ...off to the doctor have a great day all....

Babi

« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2009, 09:23:42 AM »
FAIRANNA, you may have voles rather than moles.   I found this comment in an article on pests: Moles eat insects and worms. Their damage to plants is inadvertent and only occurs if they separate the roots of the plant from the surrounding soil. They don't eat plants. However, voles eat plants ..    Of course, your plant loss may be due to 'inadvertent' damager from the moles.  I understand fritillaria is a plant the pests don't like, and their are a quite a lot of pretty flowers in that group.

I am finding so many of Hardy's poems sound bitter as well as said, at least to me.  Here is another example...

NEUTRAL TONES

by: Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

E stood by a pond that winter day,
And the sun was white, as though chidden of God,
And a few leaves lay on the starving sod,
--They had fallen from an ash, and were gray.

Your eyes on me were as eyes that rove
Over tedious riddles solved years ago;
And some words played between us to and fro--
On which lost the more by our love.

The smile on your mouth was the deadest thing
Alive enough to have strength to die;
And a grin of bitterness swept thereby
Like an ominous bird a-wing….

Since then, keen lessons that love deceives,
And wrings with wrong, have shaped to me
Your face, and the God-curst sun, and a tree,
And a pond edged with grayish leaves.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

fairanna

« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »
Ah Babi you are right....perhaps when one feels he is a poet first and has to do other things until he is almost 60 might give him a few bitter days...and I was thinking that might have been a poem about a real event ...he stayed with his wife until her death and it sure sounds like they exchanged some bitter comments...and I believe men really hate to go over a problem they think has been solved (their way) when  someone reminds them that they have failed...who knows ....I read that poem as well and I am sharing what I thought when I read it ...anyone else?

and thanks for suggestion re voles perhaps I am blaming the wrong creature .now I will check and see what they dont like and FILL my yard with that!!!!

Babi

« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
Good luck with your research and your garden, ANNA.

After having read some of Hardy's books and now, his poetry, a thought has occurred to me more than once.  Is he sad and bitter because of people who 'betrayed' him, or did people drift away because he was so gloomy and depressing?

fairanna

« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
Babi I don't know the answer...he was and is admired by many so it would seem he doesn't have any reason to be anything but cheerful ...We have no idea what his real life was like...on a day to day basis ,..the small book I have shows pictures of the place where he wrote his poetry and it is a lovely lovely home .in the country I would say,...HOWEVER there was no medicine and I don't believe depression was recognized as a disease to be treated at that time..and since I have had two neighbors who lost their daughters who were being treated for depression from suicide so I am not sure about the treatment..

Even if it seems sad I find a lot of his descriptions and the way he personifies things interesting and makes me see them in a different light..I see what I want to see in his poetry .. his way with the lines and how he finds words that rhyme-- I am taking medicine right now and don't have time to share another poem ,,,by tomorrow I hope I am feeling more like me.. LOL which may not be a good idea..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »
Interesting - I found this by Thomas Hardy - just his title is the sign of a master as compared to my poem of a similar time in my friend's experience -

SHE, AT HIS FUNERAL

by: Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

HEY bear him to his resting-place--
In slow procession sweeping by;
I follow at a stranger’s space;
His kindred they, his sweetheart I.
Unchanged my gown of garish dye,
Though sable-sad is their attire;
But they stand round with griefless eye,
Whilst my regret consumes like fire!

Brilliant as he paints a gray and achingly sad picture then turns the table with the last word 'fire' so the scene in our eyes and heart turns red and orange in a snap. He also includes his feelings - 'regret'

RECEIVING AT HIS WAKE

By Barbara St. Aubrey [2007]

Her eyes, (tutelary spirits)
Guard drifting sky webs,
Drink mist drops of memory.
Her threaded face ebbs
Inward; pale lips mime
The speaking, her reality,
The murmurs of breathed
Eulogies that generously
Float while she sits erect
Pretending to reflect
Their ache, as her worried
Heart hunts a lost butterfly.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MarjV

« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »
Aren't these lines exquisite in "Wake":

Their ache, as her worried
Heart hunts a lost butterfly

The feeling there in  "Wake" as she mouths responses to eulogies while
her real self is remarkable in your poem, Barbara.

-----------------------------------------
And Hardy's "She" - you can definitely feel how it is to be an outsider for the narrator.   And one who loved while no one knew.

Babi

« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:32 AM »
I agree with your comment about some of Hardy's lines, ANNA.
The words "that God-cursed sun" I found so startling. One would
think that the sun would be most welcome in a country that gets
so much rain and short summers.

From the 'Wake', these lines caught me; I can see that face so clearly. 
 "Her threaded face ebbs
Inward; pale lips mime
The speaking,"

fairanna

« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
Barbara thanks so much for sharing your poem and posting one of Hardy's they are both so special  and  in Hardy's I have been to ones where the family just seemed glad it was over...while some friends were stricken by loss...

Your poem I am sure was appreciated and remembered ...the whole poem was  so special ..and exquisite especially

"Their ache, as her worried
Heart hunts a lost butterfly."

fairanna

« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »
Yesterday I  took my Hardy book and found a humorous poem  I thought the wagtail was a bird and here is the description

Gray wagtail (Motacilla cinerea). (credit: H. Reinhard-Bruce Coleman Inc.)Any of 7 – 10 passerine species in the genus Motacilla and the forest wagtail (Dendronanthus indicus) of Asia. Wagtails continually pump their long tail up and down; the forest wagtail wags its entire body from side to side. They inhabit beaches, meadows, and streamsides, nesting on the ground and roosting in trees. Males of the white, or pied, wagtail (M. alba), common across Eurasia, are white and gray or white and black. The only New World species, the yellow wagtail (M. flava), breeds in Alaska and migrates to Asia.and here is the poem

Wagtail and Baby

A baby watched a ford, whereto
A wagtail came for drinking ;
A blaring bull went wading through ,
The wagtail showed no shrinking.

A stallion splashed his way across,
The birdie nealy sinking ;
He gave his plumes a twitch and toss,
And held his own unblinking.

Next saw baby around the spot
A mongrel slowly slinking;
The wagtail gazed , but  faltered not
In dip and sip and prinking.

A perfect gentleman than neared;
The wagtail, in a winking,
With terror rose and disappeared;
The baby fell a-thinking.

Now that made me smile! and shows Hardy observing and writing...I just think so much of his poems seem sad because he and all around are seeing and feeling the pain of loss, of a country busy adding to the empire ...and of course the ever present diseases of that time..ie TB Typhoid fever ...even having a baby was a serious business ...I think we have become so use to the improvements in medicine, shots to protect us from devasting illnesses , surgery , antibiotics and the care that medical people have by using gloves , disenfects etc When my latest cataract surgery was only 15 min and I could do anything I wanted except take a shower etc  to the one 20 years ago when I wasnt allowed to read or watch TV for 6 weeks and was in the hospital for at least a half day...this time my daughter brought me home as soon as it was over and I COULD SEE immediately  It is so amazing ...We are surviving or not even having to worry about illnesses that have almost disappeared in my lifetime no measles that often caused the patient to lose thier hearing wasnt it Helen Keller who both sight and hearing from measles ? And why do modern poets who seem lucky in many ways write sad poems and observe the worst in life and man?

So what shall we do next month? Barbara? anyone? does someone have a favorite poet they would like to read the poems and see what we can find?

MarjV

« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
Definitely a smile-worthy poem, Anna.

I Googled to find something about Spring in Hardy's poems.
Here is one I found that has been evidently set to music. And once again mentions a lady love.   I saw that mentioned about it on different websites about the musicality.

Title:     "If it's ever spring again"
Author: Thomas Hardy

If it's ever spring again,
Spring again,
I shall go where went I when
Down the moor-cock splashed, and hen,
Seeing me not, amid their flounder,
Standing with my arm around her;
If it's ever spring again,
Spring again,
I shall go where went I then.

If it's ever summer-time,
Summer-time,
With the hay crop at the prime,
And the cuckoos--two--in rhyme,
As they used to be, or seemed to,
We shall do as long we've dreamed to,
If it's ever summer-time,
Summer-time,
With the hay, and bees achime.

For instance this site is for a composer Milford and lists his compositions including the above.       I didn't find an mp3 of it.
http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=7266

MarjV

« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
PS - I'd love to see a wagtail wagging.

Here is a gray wagtail.   Such fun to say the word.

http://www.zestforbirds.co.za/Gray%20Wagtail-b.jpg

fairanna

« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »
Marj thanks for the picture and it is FUN just to say WAGTAIL isnt it ????My medicine is kicking in and I am feeling better ..and would feel a LOT better if only spring would arrive...once spring came earlier and then left and I wrote a poem about HER loitering on southern beaches while winter was staying WAY too long    PS in the small book I have the author suggested that Hardy  most likely had a lot of women in his life ..at least in his mind!!!:-)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »
What a lovely looking bird - thanks Marj for the link

Oh hope  you start feeling better Fairanna - my very best friend was down all last week - she took her dog for a walk and he pulled and pulled to catch up with some neighbor dogs and that yanked Charlotte's arm at the socket - like you she has been uncomfortable with pain meds to make the day and night all into one.

Charlotte will turn 90 next week - would you believe - she is marvelous - drives - is active in a few community activist organizations - attends Feldenkrist classes each week - visits an old friend in a nursing home every week - welcomes a young man who is going through chemo to stay overnight when he comes to town for his weekly treatment - and then we get together for dinner every Wednesday night - once a month we drive down to Mary House for Mass and a visit [where the homeless who are dying are taken in so they do not have to die on the street] and then once a month we attend the conversation cafe at Seton cove - along with weekend visits from her two out of town daughters each month - whew - I am out of breath just sharing all that but she is a role model for me as to how to age and still matter.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mrssherlock

« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2009, 09:46:43 PM »
Barb:  I'd like to adopt Charlotte.  She's a jewel.  Thanks for sharing her with us.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

fairanna

« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2009, 12:01:11 AM »
Barb I am 81 and I hope IF I make it to 90 ///cant believe I am even saying that ! I will be as active as Charlotte ...I dont think I would mind at all..She is a jewel isnt she..?

Here is another poem  and I love the descriptions

The Sun on the Bookcase

(Student's Love-Song 1870)

Once more the cauldron of the sun
Smears my bookcase with winy red,
And here my  page is, and there's my bed,
And the apple-tree shadows travel along,
Soon their intangible track will be run,
     And dusk grow strong
     And they have fled.

Yes now the boiling ball is gone,
And I have wasted another day ....
But wasted-wasted do I say?
Is it a waste to have imagined one
Beyond the hills there, who, anon,
      My great deeds done,
      Will be mine alway?

I love the boiling ball for describing the sun !  A wonderful description of the end of the day ....and his hope that when his studies are over ,, he will be with his sweetheart ....

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #258 on: March 24, 2009, 02:11:36 AM »
So glad y'all can also see Charlotte for something special

Fairanna I love the first two lines - interesting how we each find beauty in different lines and words - for me these are the special lines...

Once more the cauldron of the sun
Smears my bookcase with winy red,

fairanna

« Reply #259 on: March 24, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »
Barbara it is hard to choose isnt it ? Since SPRING should be here ..the birds have arrived need feeding at least every other day I chose the next poem because like Hardy HOW DO THEY KNOW when it is time to return and how does the  flowers know it is time to bloom? I have often thought that myself

The Year's Awakening

How do they know that the pilgrim track
Along the belting zodiac
Swept by the sun in his seeming rounds
Is traced by now to the Fishes' bounds
And into the Ram, when weeks of cloud
Have wrapt the sky in a clammy shroud,
And never as yet a tinct of spring
Has shown in the Earth's apparelling;
         O vespering bird , how do you know,
                  How do you know?

How do you know, deep underground,
Hid in your bed from sight and sound,
Without a turn in temperature,
With weather life can scare endure'
That light has won a fractions's strength,
And day put on some moments' length,
Whereof in merest rote will come,
Weeks hence, mild airs that do not numb;
         O crocus root, how do you know,
                   How do you know?

February 1910

MarjV

« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
Yes, that poem brings to words our ponderable questions about season change, especially spring.   

These lines:
And never as yet a tinct of spring
Has shown in the Earth's apparelling

Robin comes even when there is no "tinct".   So we know there will be.  Isn't apparelling a great word, as is tinct.

Babi

« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
  Anna & Marj, thanks for posting those lighter Hardy poems.  Birds do appear
rather often in his poems, don't you think?  I think he must have been a
bird-watcher.
  The gray wag-tail is beautiful, MARJ. In the picture, he appears more blue
than gray.

ANNA, I smiled at the student's poem. I would tell him that he may not get
many great deeds done if he doesn't buckle down to his studies!  ;)

I found this poem, one of Hardy's later poems I understand, and wonder if
it reflects his own feelings.

The Singing Woman
  Thomas Hardy » Late Lyrics and Earlier

There was a singing woman
Came riding across the mead
At the time of the mild May weather,
Tameless, tireless;
This song she sung: "I am fair, I am young!"
And many turned to heed.

And the same singing woman
Sat crooning in her need
At the time of the winter weather;
Friendless, fireless,
She sang this song: "Life, thou'rt too long!"
And there was none to heed.

fairanna

« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »
Babi in my opinion poets are observers ..they see what many ignore and because they are poets they cant ignore and write about them ..the following is one I think that demonstrates that

The Lizard

If on any warm day when you ramble around
Among the moss and dead leaves,  you should happen to see
A quick trembling thing dart and hide on the ground,
And you search in the leaves, you would uncover me.

Now from one who writes as bird , a moth, dog, cat and a slug ...I appreciate this poem..for the time it takes to see yourself as each ( which isnt long  ) and for thinking it important enough to give it a voice  by using ones own   I really admire Hardy  ...I walk with him ....

By the way I want to recognize the editor of my book of Hardy's poems James Gibson.., there are 984 pages in this book and so many poems I cant imagine how many hours and days he spent researching and assembling all the poems therein...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #263 on: March 25, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »
ah the mead to heed and the need to heed - and from "I am fair, I am young!" to "Life, thou'rt too long!" - my daughter lived or a year in a house that only  had fireplaces for heat - here in Texas that would not be as difficult as other locations but she was always cold and the house had accumulated so much dust from the fires all winter long - and so I can understand how hard a long life must have been putting up with the work that had to be done to keep warm and fed every winter without much break in the work.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »
Anna observers  yes and also they have to be free to jot down and work on the thoughts and lines that come - I did it again where yesterday I had the nucleus of two poems started in my  head - but I had to get on with appointments for work and did not write down my thoughts - and sure enough today I have no memory or even the topic much less the words I was batting around - and so I can see it is difficult if someone has a job that they cannot stop and switch to writing because without being able to do that so much is lost.

I am so glad  you  found Hardy - I had no idea the collection of poems he wrote - I want to take some time and get some of these authors straight in my  head as to when they were writing -   I think Hardy was writing around the time of the Brontes but I need to look - I think it would be interesting to see how much the poems of writers from the same period have in common. Hardy's poems do remind me of the poems of the Bronte sisters - remember when we looked at their work last fall and it was filled with an underlying sadness. We figured out that there were so  many early deaths in that family it was a wonder they did any writing other than Eulogies.

I only found a DVD of The Mayor of Casterbridge that I watched - my oh my was he ever a reprobate that for some reason you ended up feeling sorry for him - maybe because the daughter, that wasn't, felt for him and the husband she chose seemed to be interested more in money than in honest feelings toward any woman. Strange sad story - stranger and ultimately sadder to me than even Tess of d'Urberville.

A lot of dark stories at that time in history and so it would follow the poems would be mostly dark as well...

fairanna

« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
Oh Barbara I know how sad you must feel to lose a poem written only in your head..there have been times I would be driving somewhere and a whole poem would write itself but by the time I was home it was gone...some I did write on old envelopes or scrap paper in my car in my driveway when I was home..I dared not go inside until I had put it on paper.. I tried using a tape recorder in the car but what I ended with was traffic noise ..augh one of the first poems as a teenager I committed to memory was

Oh world I cannot get you close enough
 I could go on but am no longer sure I have the right words ...I do recall the author  Edna St Vincent Millay

because she described how I felt and still feel   a keen observer and a sharing of what she felt...I am sure all poets whether they work or not   have lost poems only in thier mind...who knows maybe other poets will write it someday.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2009, 03:41:05 AM »
this is not a Thomas Hardy poem but I just have to share it - the poem is a two part poem written by Nina Nyhart and is in the book of prose poems entitled, The Party Train.

THE BEECH TREE

My childhood has left me, stomped out like a sullen child into the back
yard. I'm left here in the modern kitchen wondering what I did wrong.
     But a child like that! Who can bare her moods!
     It's late afternoon, dusk has wrapped itself around the beech tree, and
the child, too, is walking around the trunk, shoulder to the bark, as if
she needed to be touched, touched continuously.

THE CATCH

Last night my mother appeared on Walnut Street wearing  a skimpy
white hospital gown, clutching a bunch of spring flowers--tulips and
daffodils, white lilacs. She said it only hurts when I cough. I wanted to
take home all the pieced of her, put her in a warm bed, bring her beef
broth, put the flowers in a vase filled with fresh water. I said Get in the
car, you'll catch your death. But she'd already caught it, light as a beach-
ball, red and yellow, white and green.

Babi

« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
in my opinion poets are observers ..they see what many ignore and because they are poets they cant ignore and write about them

ANNA, I have always felt that we love poetry because the poets express for us all the things we feel so strongly, and cannot express for ourselves. It is a relief, as well as a joy, to find a poem that says something for you.

BARB, I loved those two Nina Nyhart poems. They're beautiful, and I have never heard of Nyhart before. Thank you so much.

fairanna

« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »
Barbara they are perfect poems and  I thank you for posting ...I hope all who stop by  feel free to post ANY poem they love .this is a poetry DISCUSSION ...which means it is open to anyone to share what they feel about a poem and why if they wish ...I  just feel a month of sort of concentrating on a single poet allows us time to discuss a poem but learn something else, learn about the poets life, the times they lived and how that affected their poetry...It  feels like studying history through a poets eyes and heart  SO if any who stop by want to share a poem  PLEASE DO it can be one you wrote even...and it can be in any form ...we are not picky here

Back to the poems you posted Barbara .each one spoke to me ..they are so pure and plain and so deep and real ..Like Babi I have never heard of the poet but would like to read more of her ...All my life  poetry has helped me deal with life..if I felt sad for no reason and needed to cry I would read poems that gave me that relief  and in joy poems enhanced that joy...

Babi your statement is so true .. to find a poem that says something to you....as the leader of  my  poetry group says Poetry is life, Life is poetry ...and since he is somewhat a character he ends with HEE HAW and we all laugh and cheer..

mrssherlock

« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
When a poem fits it is as if it finds within me that same feeling, something Ive felt but only subliminally.  Now, suddenly, here it is, exposed, something vastly old but new found.  When an experience in real life creates a sympathetic vibration (frisson) with the words of  a poet, it is like a script, something that was destined to be.  What puzzles me is that not everyone feels that way.  They lack one of the essential senses.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
 Ouch
Nicholas Hughes was a baby, asleep in the next room, when his mother Sylvia Plath gassed herself in her London kitchen in the winter of 1963. He was only seven when his step-mother Assia Wevill (for whom his father Ted Hughes had left Sylvia) killed herself and her four-year-old daughter by the same method. Now his elder sister Frieda has announced that Nicholas, who grew up to pursue an academic career as a marine biologist, has ended his own life at his home in Alaska, after long suffering from depression.
the father had died of cancer in 1998 and it is said that Nicholas went into depression after the death of his father.

fairanna

« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
We have had some profound statements here . first with Babi  poem which I understand perfectly as a woman and a senior  ...somehow some people ask WHY DONT I GET A HEARING AID ..thinking it would make it easier for them I have to say I resent that I don't feel I should have to explain it is a hereditary disease and hearing aids etc do not help everyone. to me it would amount to someone saying to a blind person WHY don't you get new eyes ..sorry that really ticks me off, and then the statement by Jackie and Barbara,s comment ...it is all right to be sad about something , certainly enough things to be sad about ..unfortunately   ...but none  are alone with sad things everyone in life has to face whatever it deals you , the best you can...

I find most poetry helpful  , I hear the poet's voice and it helps me regardless of what the poet says ,, many poems are painful to read because you know someone has experienced a tragic event and they are expressing how they feel  ..we can sympathize because I don't know anyone who hasn't had a tragic event themselves and just reading the news it is so full of terrible events  and I don't see how anyone can read it and not be moved...

I am so sorry to read about Sylvia Plath's son...I suspect from the time of his mother;s suicide and his stepmother as well he has been depressed....depression is an illness and we do have help for it ...and I think it would be difficult not to be depressed with life sometimes  I try to remind myself how lucky I am and my heart goes out the those who are affected with terrible events in their lives...my heart goes out to them and I don't say that as just a simple sentence ..it is deeper than that ..but my heart also goes out the survivors who I think will always ask WHAT DID I DO WRONG or What could I have done....

I guess some of the sadness we see in Hardy's poems and the Bronte poems  or other poets poems  allows us to feel what they might have been through and asks the question Would we have handled it differently     now I am going to find a cheerful poem ...God Love you all

fairanna

« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2009, 12:53:26 AM »
I had to look up the place in this poem because I had idea what it was ...To my surprise off the coast of England are a series of small islands ..once there was a larger one ,inhabited..so  the "story" goes it was the location of Camelot and Merlin caused a huge wave to destroy it..supposedly if you go there at low tide you can see where it had been ,,and Hardy's poem tells about going there

When I Set Out for Lyonnesse   (1870)

When I set out for Lyonnesse,
    A hundred miles away,
    The rime was on the spray.
And starlight lit my lonesomeness
When I set out for Lyonnesse
    A hundred miles away.

What would bechance at Lyonnesse
     While I should sojourn there
     No prophet durst declare,
Nor did the wisest wizard guess
What would bechance at Lyonnessee
      While I should sojourn there.

When I came back from Lyonnesse
     With magic in my eyes,
     All marked with mute surmise
My radiance rare and fathomless,
When I came back from Lyonnessee
     With magic in my eyes!

For some reason this poem delights me ...Imagine if you were a reader who had read of Camelot and King Arthur and Merlin and Guinevere and visited the place where people believed it had existed ...I think my mind at least would find magic there as well /

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2009, 01:09:32 AM »
 oh yes, Anna a poem full of wonderment, mystery, adventure and day dreams...the kind of poem that makes my soul soar. I love mythology with its touch of mystery, metaphors and secret treasures.

Babi

« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
I love the phrase, "starlight lit my lonesomeness".
Then to close with the happy  "I came back from Lyonnessee
                                               With magic in my eyes!"

This is indeed a poem to make one smile.

hats

« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
FairAnna,

Thank you for posting "Sun on The Bookcase." I love the call to let our imaginations go, imagining all that is lovely.

hats

« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
Marj,

That Wagtail is beautiful, blue and yellow. Thank you.

mrssherlock

« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
What is that song from the musical Camelot where it only rains at night?  One elegant definition of a place of Magic to me.
Jackie

fairanna

« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
Jackie  just for you and I loved all the songs from Camelot   

ARTHUR:
It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.

A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
But in Camelot, Camelot
That's how conditions are.
The rain may never fall till after sundown.
By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.

Camelot! Camelot!
I know it gives a person pause,
But in Camelot, Camelot
Those are the legal laws.
The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
By nine p.m. the moonlight must appear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.

[Thanks to uvajohn@yahoo.com for lyrics]

mrssherlock

« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
Thank you.  I can hear the voices in my head.  Robert Goulet's wonderful voice.  I'm putting that on my Netflix list.
Jackie