Author Topic: Classics Book Club, The  (Read 480901 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: The Classics Book Club
« Reply #680 on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Now reading:

February 22- Books II and III: Telemachus goes on his own quest

Attic black figure kylix, 530BC
Attributed to Exekias
Antikensammlungen, Munich

In this scene from the Trojan War,  set between 'eyes', warriors fight over the body of Patroclus,
stripped of his armour. One attempts to drag the body away.

The Murder of Agamemnon
Pierre Narcisse Guerin (1774 - 1833)
Louvre, Paris

Discussion Leaders:  Joan K & ginny  

Useful Links:

1. Critical Analysis: Free SparkNotes background and analysis  on the Odyssey
2. Translations Used in This Discussion So Far:
3. Initial Points to Watch For: submitted by JudeS
4. Maps:
http://www.seniorlearn.org/latin/ulysses_penelope/Odysseusmap.jpg
http://www.wesleyan.edu/~mkatz/Images/Voyages.jpg
http://www.seniorlearn.org/latin/ulysses_penelope/Odysseusmap2.jpg

Clytemnestra and the body of Agamemnon
Attic red figure kylix
attr. to the Byrgos Painter
c. 490 BC
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Telemachos, accompanied by Athene disguised as Mentor, searches for his father
Engraving and etching on paper
John Flaxman
Tate Gallery

Babi

« Reply #681 on: February 24, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
 BARB, I am personally of the opinion that Christianity got involved
in politics when it became the official religion under Constantine.
Once it no longer had to fight for survival, attention turned to
doctrinal differences and the leadership competed for power and
influence. The best argument I know of for keeping politics out of
religion.

I agree with you, ALF, about Telemachus. (My translator uses the
'k' spelling, but it's simpler to use the one I see most.) I see
a young man, barely out of his teens, beginning to come to grips with
what is expected of him. He seems very real to me.
  After that assembly, Antinoos greets him with a 'get over it, and come
have a drink with us'.   Telemachus reply, to me, is firm confident and manly.

"Athenoos, I cannot see myself again
 taking a quiet dinner in this company.
 Isn't it enough that you could strip my home
  under my very nose when I was young?
 Now that I know, being grown, what others say,
 I understand it all, and my heart is full.
 I'll bring black doom upon you if I can...."
company.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #682 on: February 24, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
Babi, thanks for bringing up those lines.  Butler continues with Telemachus saying,

"Now that I am older and know more about it, I am also stronger, and whether here among this people, or by going to Pylos, I will do you all the harm I can.  I shall go, and my going will not be in vain -- though thanks to you suitors, I have neither ship nor crew of my own, and must be passenger, not captain."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #683 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »
Babi it started long before Constantine - he simply brought a trained army into the fray with Bishops and other leaders disagreeing over a myriad of issues but mostly if Jesus was God, Man or both - that ugly fight went on for 100s of years starting at the beginning of the second century -.at best Constantine gave freedom to the average Christian to walk and worship in the open  which prompted individuals yearning to be martyrs and missing the possibilities to embrace a cult of martyrdom with many going off to live in austere desert communities.

I think I am getting someplace on finding out about the woman's role in marriage that does not include romantic love - there are reams of information on how romantic love is about passion and the unification of families through marriage have nothing to do with passion but has everything to do with extending the influence of a tribe with the birth of a child. A women is only considered a hot house so to speak for producing children. The second importance of marriage is the transfer of wealth - her dowry, a bride price that fills up the coffers of the bride's family who paid the dowry and then the wealth of the children born into this union.

And so the possibilities for birth are the most guarded and important element for the continuation, growth and protection of a clan and a tribe. Women in ancient Greece as in other tribal cultures are married by age 16 and the men are usually about 30 - The girls unless  prostitutes were secluded in the women's section of the house only to be secluded again in the women's section of her husband's  house. Men had no opportunity to mix with girls and so instead it was usual for men to admire the bodies of boys and  young men by spending much time in the baths, and what we would call the gym.

Back to the law - when we were talking about this over dinner last night my friend suggested it was an example of taking the law into your own hands - that was when it hit - of course - just like in the old west - there was no force to assist with law and order - and the most precious thing that the family in a tribe cannot risk loosing or being damaged is the sexuality of a women.  

There are several definitions and most of what I see on-line is explained from a western point of view -  central is a society's concept of honor and shame - I found and have ordered a book that the bit I could read on-line from Amazon sounds like it will explain further; Honor Killing, Blood Feud, Vendetta, Eye for an Eye, Blood-Revenge, Blood Law, Code of Life, that were expressed in every culture, that gave rise to satisfying the harm by money exchanged, stoning to death, Chariot races, cities burned to the ground, Maniot Vendetta, laws determining how many layers of relations must respond. This legal practice gave rise to cultures like the Samurai, the Mafia. Carrying on in these traditions side by side with our Constitutional law are gang wars, drug cartels and street gangs.

Reading this stuff it is easy to recognize that the Trojan war, if it was true or not was about the psyche of the Greek's value for a women as a child bearing entity so that Helen was not only valued for her wealth but, whatever it was that was her beauty it must have been about her ability to produce children.since beauty in a wife to stir passion was not valued. This emphasis on this biological aspect of a women is so great that a whole story of the reason for the Trojan War becomes part of the collective memory of a people.

I remember with sadness when the myth of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree and not lying about it to his father was destroyed as proven to be  untrue - with its passing something in the character of the average American went with it so that truth telling, even when you fear punishment is no longer valued.

Back to Penelope - oh yes, and then there is Athena - who dresses as a man hmmm - and research says she was born from the head of Zeus suggesting she has the intellect that is attributed to men - no wonder - if you live your life in the women's quarters and are married by the time you are 16, there with no books to read - wow, talk about marrying the dumb blond  - for being a dumb blond type Penelope is as we call it today street smart - to have lasted in our canon of literature this long this story has to be more than an exciting adventure story - I am thinking one of the points of interest has something to do with exploring passion versus intellect - not sure if that exploration was part of  early Greed dialog but it sure was by the middle ages, which is when scholars had available a complete, hand written copy, of Homer's Epics and it could be the philosophical under current of why the story resonates today.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JudeS

« Reply #684 on: February 24, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
This is just a reminder that  "The Middle East" is not a euphemism for Islam.  In the Middle East are found these religions:
Judaism
Bahai
Christains
Druze
Zoroastrians
Coptics
Shia Muslims
Sunni Muslims

The "honor Killings are more a sanctioned  political act that is used by certain Muslim Clerics to show their power over the people.This is not the place to enter in a discussion  about this so I will return to the Odyssey.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #685 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
JUDE: my comment was aimed at the Arab-Israeli conflict. Having lived in Israel, I get so frustrated -- with Israel as well as the Arab countries. When, when, will both sides realize that what they are doing doesn't work?

I must be stupid. It seems obvious to me that as long as the economies of the Arab countries are bad, there will be crowds of young men with no future, and nothing to do except fight Israel. Yet Israel seems to do everything they can to make the Arab economies WORSE, hence MORE unemployed angry young men with no future -- fodder for hate groups. Why don't they offer to help BUILD the Arab economies, instead of destroying them?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #686 on: February 24, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
BARB: Athena " was born from the head of Zeus suggesting she has the intellect that is attributed to men - no wonder - if you live your life in a the women's quarters and are married by the time you are 16 there with no books to read - wow talk about marrying the dumb blond."

Sigh. and the only way to be smart is to be born from a man's brain. But there are plenty of smart, independent women in Greece's later literature.  

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #687 on: February 24, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
Whoops Jude I hoped I was not leaving an impression that Honor killings had to do with religion - ouch - no, this is a legal matter carried out in a political unit that is the clan - and, tribal law is of and for the tribal families, based in the expression of how groups in society organize themselves creating laws that value what is important - the societies view of honor and shame and how they keep everyone organized or in line. I can see how it would be easy to think this was about religion since in so many areas of the world religion is tied to law, government and politics. Since religion per se is not featured in the Odyssey I was hoping to simply explore tribal law to help us have an appreciation for Homer's Epics as it relates to the relationships between men and women.

Did any of you see the NY Times had an on-line article that renamed most of the important books of Lit and the new name for the Odyssey was 'Don't Mess with a Veterans Wife"- laughed - right on...another Title could be something about, 'Warning! take the gods seriously'. Whee Athena puts Telemachus in his place being reminded how much the gods influence what happens in life. I think many of us are still looking for, and to, that influence...as we dream of our personal utopia.

Joan just saw your second post - hehehe - ah so - women all popping out of the head of Zeus - I think that Athena is a goddess so I do not think her birth is the same as other ancient Greek women - but again, to see how far back this stuff goes and what we are up against - folks  still feel it is legal to have control of a women's body for fear of what she will do with the freedom to make her choices and now they are talking a form of legal honor killing of professionals who help her with a legal procedure.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

roshanarose

« Reply #688 on: February 24, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
Barb - You make some very interesting points in your posts, the second last in particular.

When I read that you were discussing "law" with a friend, I went a little green with envy.  The only people I can talk to about reasonably "cerebral" topics are my daughter and my son in law.  Unfortunately, at the moment they are very busy getting their house back into order after the floods.  I hope to see them soon.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #689 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:42 AM »
It is special isn't it roshanarose to have someone you can talk with who will show an interest in what you are reading or learning. It was easy though since Charlotte's younger daughter is a lawyer over in Houston.

OK a few more Bits and pieces -

Polycaste is Nestor’s youngest daughter – was it important to explain that she was the youngest? Is that a reference to Hera, who was the youngest daughter of a youngest daughter?

Hera was the jealous protectress of marriage. Riled up easily if she felt her territory was threatened. Her marriage to Zeus – Zeus’ third - has Zeus turning himself into a cuckoo (a notoriously randy bird in Ancient Greece), and when she put the little bird to her breast, took advantage. However, Hera was the perfect patriarchal image of marriage: a shrew, she wasn't very nice, to anyone, including her children, and she destroyed anyone who Zeus even looked at sideways (she was right in assuming that he was sleeping with them). She also went after the children of Zeus' illicit affairs, most famously, Heracles.

And then, to top it off, a heifer is slaughtered for the feast that night – a heifer is a young cow and a cow is a form of Hera, also symbolic of the productive power of the earth, plenty, procreation, and the horns are the crescent moon representing both the moon and earth goddesses. Horn wrapped in gold – oh my – making the horn a quality of sacredness, incorruptible, wisdom, durable, noble, honorable, superiority, wealth.

And so, reading this is like a story in a story as we can visualize the wonder on the faces of those hearing Homer tell the story as these symbolic messages would be understood by those listening, just as we understand what a street light means or a wedding band or a hanging sign of a giant shell.

I’m thinking it would have helped to have read the Iliad first – so, lots of research to figure out who is who - I learned that after Agamemnon those who contributed the largest fleets were second, Nestor and third, with 80 ships was Diomedes. Drinking from Gold cups, riding in a chariot are symbols of greatness – sounds to me like the story is preparing us for Telemachus’ greatness to come. I am so caught up in Telemachus I want to see how he gets himself and his mother out of the situation they find themselves. Telemachus sure has older guys telling us he is pretty wonderful.

All this about bulls – Poseidon is at a ‘beach barbecue’ that is serving up bulls – there are offerings of the hind legs of bulls – again, referring to my handy dandy copy of  An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols by J.C.Cooper – Bulls are the masculine principle in nature, the solar generative force sacred to all sky gods, male pro-creative strength, royalty. Attribute of Zeus as sky god, also of Dionysus who was horned and sometimes bull-headed. Sacred to Poseidon, whose wine-bearers at Ephesus were bulls. As the humid power, the bull was an attribute of Aphrodite.

Amazing to me was that Nestor brings the strangers to a banquet and only after they have eaten well does he inquire who they are and what is their mission. The feasting of food and drinking of wine is all they ever seem to do – we have the suitors partying every night, eating Telemachus and Penelope out of house and home, Poseidon is off feasting, then in one chapter we have Nestor preparing two banquets, one in which as a guest, Telemachus is bathed and oiled. The oil symbolizes consecration, dedication, spiritual illumination, mercy and fertility, conferring wisdom. Hmmm so, Nestor’s youngest daughter confers wisdom on Telemachus.

Old Nestor’s advice gives us a good idea how small the known world was at the time –

You might abandon hope of ever returning home,
Once the winds had driven you that far off course,
Into a sea so vast not even cranes could wing their way
In one year’s flight - so vast it is, so awesome…

Babi

« Reply #690 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »
 Wow, you'all are getting into some seriously heavy studies here.  I
keep checking the clock to see how much time I've got!

Would this be an encouragement or cause for trepidation?  Athena
speaking: "Reason and heart will give you words, Telemakhos; and
a spirit will counsel others.  I should say the gods were never indifferent
to your life."

I'm not at all sure I would be thrilled to hear the gods were interested
in my life.  I'm inclined to sympathize with Nestor's viewpoint. In telling
the story of the Greeks heading back for home, he said, "I fled, with every ship I had; I knew fate had some devilment brewing there."
Wise man.
   From Encyclopedia Britannica: Homer speaks of Fate (moira) in the singular as an impersonal power and sometimes makes its functions interchangeable with those of the Olympian gods.  There
definitely does seem be be such an 'interchange' taking place here.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #691 on: February 25, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
Tee hee, Babi, I like the comparison, think I might run too.  It's not so scary in Lombardo, though:

"You'll come up with some things yourself, Telemachus,
And a god will suggest others.  I do not think
You were born and bred without the gods' good will."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #692 on: February 25, 2011, 09:49:10 AM »
Amazing to me was that Nestor brings the strangers to a banquet and only after they have eaten well does he inquire who they are and what is their mission.
Barb, you've put your finger on an important rule of hospitality.  When someone arrives asking for shelter, you see that they are fed and refreshed first, and only then ask who they are and what they want.  Telemachus does the same when Athena arrives at his house:

"Greetings, stranger.  You are welcome here.
After you've had dinner, you can tell us what you need."

He doesn't find out her (assumed) name until after she has eaten.

These rules were important in a time when travel was dangerous and there were no inns.  The host had to put up strangers and treat them well.  Guests had duties too, they had to respect the host and his property, and not injure him or steal from him.  The suitors are violating this rule, and Paris violated it bigtime when, as Menelaus' guest, he ran off with Menelaus' wife Helen.

Mippy

« Reply #693 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »
PatH ~ Excellent summary of hospitality.   From various reading, I've found that the concept of hospitality is still like that for some ethnic groups, such as the Romanies (gypsies) and the Bedouins in the desert.

Aside:   I also found back the the 1960s in Israel that a remnant of that wonderful Middle-Eastern hospitality occurred there.   I had an introduction to a professor in the biological field that I was studying in the US, and when I showed up at his office one morning, he said ... let's talk science later ... and brought me to the department conference room, where at midmorning everyone gathered for tea or coffee.   What a difference from the US, where no biology department would stop work to sit together and have even a moment of discussion that was not work-related.

I have no idea if the Hebrew University in Jerusaleum is till like that, but it's a terrific memory of true hospitality.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JudeS

« Reply #694 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
I will quote Knox in the intro to Fagles translation.
"If there is one stable moral criterion in the world of the Odyssey it is the care taken by the powerful and well-to-do of strangers, wanderers and beggars.The divine enforcer, so all mortals believe, is Zeus himself, Zeus xeinios, protector of strangers and supplians.........
Of all the hosts measured by this standard , the Phaeacians stand out as the most generous, ..... in their regal entertainment of Odysseus...

Mippy
The bedouins still treat strangers as honored guests and give them strongly brewed coffee in tiny cups-perhaps the precursor to our Espresso.I can't speak for the University though.
In the middle ages the Monasteries inEngland followed this custom. Any traveler or wanderer could get a meal and one nights lodgings for free in their guest houses, built specifically for that purpose.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #695 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
I am enjoying just such hospitality now - of course my friend Heather and her husband do know who we are and why we are here, but they have opened their home to us so generously and kindly - I can't imagine that I would ever be so good, but this experience of being so welcomed and cared for certainly makes me think that I will try to do the same for someone else - so, as they say, what goes around comes around (or something!) - maybe that's what the Greeks thought?

I also remember pitching up, as an impoverished student, at the home of one of my mother-in-law's wartime friends in Wellington, NZ.  I don't think MIL had seen Barbara since the war (it was by then about 1990), but she welcomed us with open arms, fed us royally, and put us up in a beautiful cosy bedroom (we had been staying in pretty basic hostels in winter and were cold, tired and miserable).  She was a very alternative woman, very interested in the Rainbow Warrior and politics in general.  I remember she baked her own bread, which we gobbled up whilst she talked to us about what was going on in the world.  Again, such hospitality is never forgotten - I will endeavour to remind myself of that when all of my son's friends turn up on my doorstep in Edinburgh!

Roshanarose - I know what you mean, but you can always discuss such things here.  I don't think many of us have lots of people that we can discuss things with - much as I love my friends, each relationship is different and has different benefits.  With some of my friends I can have a good laugh because we find the same things funny, with others I can talk about more serious stuff, but those people might not get the same jokes.  I can discuss politics, etc with my husband, but my Alexander McCall Smith moments are enjoyed with one of my former work colleagues.  My friend Dorothy and I have great conversations about our children, animals, gardens - when we lived close to one another we used to while away many a morning wandering around plant nurseries - but we have no reading interests in common.

One of the great things about this site, IMO, is that there is nearly always someone who is interested in what you say - and you do say some very interesting things  :) 

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #696 on: February 25, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
ROSE: "The only people I can talk to about reasonably "cerebral" topics are my daughter and my son in law."

I think we all have that problem. I am lucky to have my sister, and a few dear friends that I can talk to about anything, but, as Rosemary says, without Seniorlearn, it would be pretty hard.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #697 on: February 25, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »
Jude: I still remember that hospitality in Israel in the 60s. I hope it's still there, but probably not.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #698 on: February 25, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
Y'all are so right - it is so easy to feel elitist when really it is that our interests are not shared by many - with all the bookstores and I think I recently read that only 10% of the public are readers - and then of those readers we know there are those who only read Gothic Romance and another group who only read Mysteries and from the size and business of the department the young seem to be exclusive Computer nerds only reading the latest Tech info - and so where 5 or 6 % of the reading public sounds like small leav'ens in reality I think in the US we are 7 billion so that leaves us with 350 million - you would think we could find more folks who do not look blank when we refer to a character or book title in our conversations -

I wish I  had either purchased the book or remembered the title - but some years ago there was this wonderful children's illustrated book - more illustration than story so you know it was for the younger child age 4 or 5 to maybe 8 - it was about a grandmother who liked to read - she finally decides she could move to the country where all the everyday expectations on her life that are part of city living would go away and she could read to her hearts content. The illustration shows her as a chubby grandmother boarding a train with all her cat, suitcases, piles of books tied with string and her grandchildren waving her goodby. The problem was once in the country there were all these animals that depended on her feeding them or caring for them, from mice under the floor boards to birds in  her attic, cats and dogs and chickens and visiting wildlife and and and so that she had no more time to read in the country than she did in the city.

I've often looked on Amazon  hoping I could find the book again because it was perfect as I have imagined this life where I had no other responsibilities and could read to my heart's content. I guess that is our fantasy utopia - some want a perfect garden, others to travel the world or at least to see the wild or famous places in their own country and still others want to have a stack of quilts competed, one for each member of their family - and others of us have a foot long list of books we want to read and now we are worrying if our list is longer than the days we have in our lives. This is when I wish I could come back - not as a child though - I would like to come back at about age 20, no 55 would be better, after most of the responsibilities are completed. That's it - life could be on a rotating ferris wheel that everytime it hits the bottom we are renewed by 20 years for another go at it.

Well right now I am going crazy - during all the snow in early February I had three deliveries that Amazon shows UPS left on my front porch and for the life of me I cannot find those books - the one book I am seeing in my mind that I did receive and there were three books in that box so, I must have the other two - but where - and then the other two packages that I cannot see those books in my mind's eye. I will have to tear into books this weekend and of course just as well - this forces me to organize.

roshanarose

« Reply #699 on: February 25, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
I didn't think I was alone when I mentioned the subject of being in many ways solitary.  This is my choice, of course, I genuinely love living alone.  As they say in the Classics ... "I need to get out more..."

Re Hospitality - I think I've mentioned before that I have several good friends from Afghanistan, from the Hazara tribe.  The Hazaras have arrived in Australia after very hazardous ocean trips from Indonesia from unseaworthy boats.  Some of them have endured 5 years of detention in camps built by the government.  I was an advocate for refugees in Brisbane.  Sometimes I would need to visit my friends and I would alway phone and arrange a time.  Hassan asked me one day why I always phoned before visiting.  I told him that it was a custom in Australia.  He took me aside and told me that he had never heard of such a thing before.  He told me if I wanted to visit that I could, any time, and to please not telephone next time but just come.  I was always welcomed like a blessed friend by Hassan and his family, and was plied with green tea and biscuits.  Then I was expected to stay for dinner.  No ifs or buts.  These friends live a long way away now, but I still remember their hospitality.  Hazaras are beautiful people.  In Afghanistan at one stage their lands were stolen from them by the Taliban and another tibe.  The Hazaras were forced to eat grass and many died of starvation.  I suppose this was in the back of my mind when they offered such hospitality, it was very humbling.  I always did feel strange about visiting unannounced, though.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

bookad

« Reply #700 on: February 25, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »
Fort Myers, Florida

hi there, belatedly reporting in from our odyssey around the Gulf of Mexico, stationary for who knows how long...

so interesting the posts, love the part about various thoughts on 'why' and the Gods in our lives/their lives

below are not the exact quotes:
Gods don't expect that humanity will turn to them for meaningful answers-reply 671 & each God requires something different from his followers reply 676

have been reading my 2 translations more or less once each then together, comparing and figuring out where the differences/similarities in passages reside...E. V. Rieu, Lattimore

was getting a bit lost in the 3rd book, but in reading my sparks notes helped me get it sorted out...but still all those greek names sort of brings to mind trying to read 'Poland' by James Michener--I had to map the names to sort them out

but this is such a wonderful exercise in learning the unfamiliar and I just wanted to let you know I haven't jumped ship on the journey..

Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Gumtree

« Reply #701 on: February 26, 2011, 02:18:49 AM »
Hey Deb - I remember you said you were to be away for a time. Glad you're keeping up.

I'm also working between a couple of translations - the Rieu and the Albert Cook which is really really good - I find it a great way to sort out stuff - something which may be ambiguous in one becomes clear (or do I mean less obscure) reading the second.

A day or so ago I happened to be in a bookshop and when I reached the checkout I found Fagles had somehow jumped into my hand. So I now have five different translations to work with - too much really but I had jettisoned the Butler right from the start because of his using Roman names for the Gods.

I'm looking forward to working with Fagles now as well. I think I'm going to get the McKellen audio if it is available here.

I 've had a tough week and haven't read Book III as yet so I've some work to do. Love the wide ranging discussion -  just what any great literature induces in perceptive readers - love it.

Roshanarose: Yes, you're certainly not alone in not having lots of people around you to share your intellectual interests. In my experience they are few and far between but they are there and once found become friends for life. I'm a bit like Rosemary and have friends with whom I can share different parts of my life and interests - gardeners, family life, music (esp grand opera), literature, embroidery and other crafts, painting etc - there are lots who cross-over between those interests. But the hardest to find are those who have a genuine interest in the ancient world - and now some have come together here on SeniorLearn -  and all thanks to Ginny for making this discussion and the website itself possible. How blessed we are.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #702 on: February 26, 2011, 02:34:32 AM »
Well I am afraid I am not one of those intellectuals -- but will read along and learn. ::)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #703 on: February 26, 2011, 03:04:51 AM »
Gumtree 5 - 5 - 5 -five translations - oh my!!??!! Frankly I am envious... one problem for me is I do not have yet another table where I could spread them all out and see the same passage in all 5 translations at one time. So far have you noticed a difference in the overall flavor of the story from each of the 5 translations?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #704 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
Kidsal, how can you say you're not an intellectual?  You inhabit a site that does almost nothing but talk about books.

Gumtree, You're right, we all owe a huge debt to Ginny for crafting this site when the old SeniorNet blew up.

THANKS, GINNY

Babi

« Reply #705 on: February 26, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
It's not only an important rule of hospitality, PAT, it's good sense
too.  A well fed and rested guest is much more pleasant and amenable
than a tired, hungry one.  ;)

Speaking of what the gods want, probably awe and respect is at the
top of the list, wouldn't you think?  I noticed a bit of that when Athena,
still posing as Mentor, responded a bit tartly to something Telemachus
said.
  Nestor had just suggested to Telemachus the possibility that Odysseus
might yet turn up and and oust the unwelcome suitors. Telemachus
replies, "I don't think what you say will ever happen, sir. It is a dazzling hope, but not for me.  It could not be--even if the Gods willed it."
   Well, that was a rather rash statement.  Athena immediately replies,
"What strange talk you permit yourself, Telemachus.  A god could save the man by simply wishing it--"  Watch your tongue, boy!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #706 on: February 26, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
I am so glad you ARE all here, look what we would have missed, and welcome back, Deb!! I'm glad to see one of our wandering crew  has made it, I fear for our crew here on our long journey back!

I do see what people sometimes feel coming into one of these discussions, tho, each post is so fabulous and dazzling. I read them and say WOW to self and go away and they really change and inform my own viewpoint... it's like fireworks really, oh that was just the MOST oh no, now THAT was spectacular, oh no THAT ...and so on.

It's lovely to have this opportunity TO read and discuss.

As we're now doing Books II and III, I suggest anybody who is coming in and is totally dazzled by what's here,  to just  say something just to say it and then enjoy reading back thru the truly wonderful posts.

Rosemary I think you are to be commended for reading every prior post!! Welcome aboard!

I really think once we, together, decode Homer, he's for everybody. He's not a special interest. I think he covers things anybody can relate to, once we can figure out what he's saying.  I did think the names might be a problem, since he refers to the GREEKS variously as Achaeans and Argives and so forth. I also  see that Fagles does not use the name "Gerenian"  in the last of Book III, 521, Lombardo has  'The Gerenian * corrected  Nestor spoke." Fagles has "Nestor the noble chariot driver issued orders..."

This is right before the lines "My sons, yoke the combed horses..." Right at the end. I'm a bit confused on Gerenian. Is this yet another word for a type of Greek or what is it?  Does your book have? Does your book define "Gerenian?"

What do YOUR translations have for this passage?  

I can do Achaeans:

"Achaea and the  Achaeans (Achaioi) denoted two regions and peoples  in historical times. One was in south east Thessaly, and the other was a narrow strip in the north  of the Peloponnese between Elis and  Sicyon, a territory comprising 12 small towns forming a loose confederacy.

In Homer the names are used both in a restricted and in a general sense. They may denote the region and people in south Thessaly where Achilles licved, and also the people in the north east Peloponnese (Argolis), the followers of Agamemnon who ruled Mycenae and the surrounding area.

But they may also denote, by extension, Greece and the Greeks in General.

Modern scholars sometimes use the  name Achaeans to refer to the  Greeks of the Mycenean period. "

And so on.. it does go on and on.  Lots more but this seems to pertain to us here. This is from the Oxford Companion to Classical Literature.

When you're reading and we see adjectives like Gerenian and Achaean, it might help some to know what they mean but the word  Gerenian I can't find anywhere.

Do you know what "Gerenian Nestor" might refer to?

(Also those of you with Lombardo, at the VERY end of the book is a Translator's Postscript where he explains his use of, "Speak,  Memory,"  it's worth a read! :) One thing he does mention is it DOES recall the title of Nabokov's memoir, "who himself was recalling Homer as he recalled his own art. This is the way of translation as art, a kind of anamnesis in which we remember our own voice as the poet's."

Interesting! And somebody said it HERE! Who was it? JoanR? Gum?

So: Problems in Reading Books II and III:

1. Confusing terms:

Achaeans
Grenian
Lacedaemon and Lacedaemonians: I can do these, too, thanks to Fagles and his glossary in the back: Lacedaemon is the city and kingdom of Menelaus, in the southern Peloponnese.

Argives
:
---1. Of or relating to Argos or the ancient region of Argolis.
---2. Of or relating to Greece or the Greeks.
---A Greek, especially an inhabitant of Argos or Argolis.

2. The son of...Atreus

I can do Atreus too thanks to the Oxford Companion to Classical Literature:

"Atreus in Greek myth was one of the sons of Pelops; he was king of Mycenae, father of Agamemnon and Menelaus."

Everybody is a son of.

The sons of Atreus.

So, to sum up,  here we have Achaeans, Archives, Lacedaemonians, and  Gerenian. We lack a definition for Gerenian, and these names pepper II and III, and may confuse the issue, it's good to get them straight so we can enjoy the plot lines.

Wait this is too long...more. :)

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #707 on: February 26, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
You know, to be 3,000 years old, and to be something recited aloud, this thing is really complex.   As Joan K said, it goes on and on. She was referring to the background of ONE  of the stories mentioned, but it applies to a lot of things. In that day and time the audience would be not only familiar with the subjects alluded to, they would jump up at the mention of them.

Sort of like those who watched Dallas would know what the shower  refers to (or those who watched Psycho would know what the "shower" refers to).

But we don't have, most of us, the instant recognition of the "shower" moments of antiquity, and Homer here is attempting to provide them and I think you're doing a fabulous job catching them!

If we were going to try to plot the story line like JudeS's wonderful genealogy (thank you Jude) from the Fagles,  what on earth would it look like?

We've got a son coming of age, trying to take over, telling his mother what to do. Is there anybody here with sons who can't relate to this? No matter how gently one's own son tells one, (or one's daughter for that matter), the day WILL come and it appears that the day came early for Penelope because of the problems she has.

But is Telemachus up to it? ALF thinks he is, what do you think?

We've talked about why the suitors are there, super discussion and why the old men don't help, and I thought that was wonderfully quoted:

Barbara quoted:

I think Eurymachus response to Halitherses is what gives the impression the elders have no power.

"Stop, old man!"
Eurymachus, Polybus' son, rose up to take him on.
"Go home and babble your omens to your children -
save them from some catastrophe coming soon.
I 'm a better hand than you at reading portents.
Flocks of birds go fluttering under the sun's rays,
not all are fraught with meaning...."

For people who put so much store in genealogy and "the son of whoever," this seems a bit odd, doesn't it? It does to me. Compare Aeneas and his flight from Troy carrying his aged father, leading his small son by the hand, his wife to follow as best she could.  The aged father in a famous statue by Bernini carries the Lares and Penates, the household gods.  Aeneas's story is one of total filial piety.

Not only does the old man ride in the boat, he warns and gives a lot of advice which is heeded to. We seem to have a different situation here. I wonder why? Here our old men so far are saying nothing, except Nestor. And he's home with his sons.   What does this  indicate, I wonder.

So we have mothers and sons, fathers ...but the join is broken here, we've got Nestor and HIS son but the father Odysseus is missing, so we have a disconnect.

We've got Athena, in these two books not only owl eyed but flashing eyed (in Lombardo) as mentor. Literally as Mentor, Odysseus's friend and of course what the word means. A play on words again.  And we've got Nestor as mentor too. So the young man has a lot of help. She helped Odysseus, she's helping Telemachus, the gods are present in their lives. For better or worse, sometimes worse if they wanted nothing good for you.

I have Telemachus calling one meeting, I don't see two.

At the end of Book I (line 398) Telemachus says
"But in the morning we will sit in the meeting ground,
So that I can tell all of you in broad daylight
To get out of my house."

And in the morning, his debut as a man,  they laugh at him. So here we have an additional tension in that he's trying but the world is resisting. He needs help. He gets it, from gods (Athene as Mentor) and men (Nestor).

Dana I appreciate knowing the meaning of the word Antinous, it suits him.

So he sets out on another journey, his own Odyssey, another parallel, to the journey of Odysseys and t he journeys mentioned when Menelaus and Agamemnon argued about returning home.

Nestor went with Menelaus and got home.

Odysseus went with Agamemnon, neither of them has had a happy homecoming.

What has the story of Agamemnon's return got to do with our story here?

What did you think of the flashback technique here to the Trojan War? Do they  fit in or do they distract?  We've got a lot of plots going on here, and another parallel in the "Return Home" thread. Agamemnon returns home and is killed. Odysseus has yet to return home and I liked  Barbara's post here on the difficulty in the ancient world of actually expecting TO return:

Old Nestor’s advice gives us a good idea how small the known world was at the time –

You might abandon hope of ever returning home,
Once the winds had driven you that far off course,
Into a sea so vast not even cranes could wing their way
In one year’s flight - so vast it is, so awesome…

So it's not a cruise...although today one might encounter the same thing, actually, depending on where one cruises in the world, right?

I was really glad in Book III line 238, to see Nestor asking the $64,000 question about the suitors and the home situation, I mean it's the obvious question anybody would ask.

"Why do you put up with this?"

What is the answer he gets? What does that mean?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #708 on: February 26, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »
Gods in everything. Roxania said, "I really don't know what the Olympians expected of their followers--other than to follow the rules of impeccable hospitality in case one of them turned up for dinner, apparently!  The Greeks had their household gods, and each city-state seemed to have a patron, but beyond that, people seem to have been able to pick and choose.  There was no demand that anybody worship one god exclusively, which must have made for more mellow religious discussions than people tend to have now.  Certainly the gods did not seem to expect that humanity would turn to them for any meaningful answers, which is a good thing, since they were often the ones causing the confusion in the first place. "

The gods demanded sacrifice as JoanK mentions and they demanded respect. By the time the Romans took the Greek gods over, it was more about following the ritual then the actual gods, but there was a lot of superstition going on due to the plethora of cautionary tales passed down through the centuries.  

Like the ancient Mafia, you dis the gods at your peril. Pride or  hubris caused many mortals  a fall, think of the weaver Arachne turned into a spider or Niobe who suffered horribly for her pride in Greek mythology. Think of Baucuis and Philemon who received the strangers hospitably, they were gods in disguise. This gods among us in disguise seems to be a very old concept with very modern ramifications.

This is something actually seen in other ancient cultures, also,  including China, if you read Pearl Buck''s The Good Earth we can see Wang Lung, at the birth of a boy, loudly lamenting his being a boy  aloud in the streets lest the gods be jealous and take him back.

Think then, of  Agamemnon, who wanted to stay behind as Troy burned  and NOT sail with Menelaus and the others because he wanted to do a sacrifice to  appease the wrath of Athena (line 159ff in III). Nestor says :----poor fool/ He had no idea she would never relent." ( 159ff, III)

The ancients would have instantly known why he was wasting his time.  We don't, do we?

Why not?  What did Agamemnon DO to Athena that caused this enmity? What has THIS got to do with what we now think of as OUR story? It's a flashback.  He sure seems to have tried to appease the capricious gods, including sacrificing his own daughter, and failed. It appears if they set their caps against you, you're dead in several ways? Or is it something else and why include it here? It's our Epic, right?

Are the flashbacks distracting? Why do you think they are here?

Book III is full of the GREATEST descriptions! I love the images of the birds.

What are your favorite lines so far?

I like "For seven years in gold encrusted Mycenae..." concerning the murder of Aegisthus...339...another flashback. This whole sequence is kind of confusing. In it Menelaus has a rough trip back home and Orestes arrives home to kill Aegisthus who took up with Clytemnestra and killed Agmemnon.  So here is another parallel, the son avenging the father.  Told to Telemachus as a good heroic thing. And a homecoming.

The plots and sub plots are DEEP here, one needs a score card, but at the same time, if you tried to explain the TV show DALLAS to somebody, what would your explanation look like?

hahha

Another parallel: Clytemnestra, and Helen go willingly with their suitors.

Barbara you mentioned: What happened to  Helen's daughter after her mom was kidnapped by Paris?

She was not kidnapped, she went willingly just like Clytemnestra did. Helen got to reproach herself, was it in the Iliad? Lots of other people reproached her too as Troy lay burning.

On the other hand, what choice did she have as a prize in the contest? Have we looked at the story of Paris and Helen? Does anything in it have parallels here?

But Penelope so far has held out. What happened, by the way, did Menelaus ever get Helen back? Why or why not?

There are a lot of powerful themes in this so far.

Here we've got Odysseus (who? We're talking about everybody else so far hahaha) as the man of constant sorrow:

"He was born to sorrow,/ More than any man on earth." (III 105 L)

But he's also the Master of all strategies (133, III, L). There seems to be a LOT of thinking going on here, we have another plan revealed at the end of III, we seem to have another journey, by land with Peisistratus, Nestor's son. What's this one all about? Where are they going and why?

We don't have sacrifices today in religion or do we? What are your thoughts on ALL these sacrifices in Book III? Are you repelled?

Does the effect of these flashbacks make you impatient to find out what the real plot is going to say, do they build expectation or the reverse?

Inquiring mind or what passes for it would love to know some of this. :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #709 on: February 26, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »
Ginny - I have just re-read the first three books again, and I have the following queries:

In Book One , line 456, Telemachus refers to;

"all that King Odysseus won for me by force"

- does this mean that there is no automatic inheritance of property, etc, and that ownership is asserted by force?

In Book Two, line 60, Telemachus says the suitors;

"would rather die than approach her father's house"

- why is this the case?  Why are the suitors happier to hang around trying to ingratiate themselves with Penelope than to ask her father for her hand?  Is it because they can't prove Odysseus is dead?  I am a bit confused here  :)  In line 137, Antinous says that the suitors will stay "as long as she holds out" - so is it Penelope's choice?  I got the impression that a woman didn't get much say in whom she married, but here there seem to be two alternatives - either Penelope makes a choice, or she is sent back to Icarius and he makes a choice.  Is that right?  In lines 147-8, Telemachus seems to be saying that to send her back would cost him too much.

Later, in lines 229-30, Eurymachus says he and the other suitors are fed up with waiting for Penelope and;

"Never courting others, bevies of brides who'd suit each noble here"

- why?  Is it because Penelope is potentially richer than the other available women, or what?

In lines 414-5, Telemachus tells the store-woman not to tell Penelope where he has gone until ten or twelve days have passed "or she misses me herself" - this seems to me to imply that Penelope might not even notice Telemachus has gone for some time. Isn't this a bit odd?  Or would Penelope not see that much of Telemachus in the huge palace?

In line 504 of Book 1, when the nurse "puts Telemachus to bed", she is said to "slide the doorbelt home with its rawhide strap" - this sounds like she is locking Telemachus into his room - is that right?  Or is she inside with him?

About both Nestor and Menelaus it is said;

"he'll never lie - the man is far too wise"

- I am not sure how wisdom links with truthfulness, and would have expected something like "he'll never lie - he's too moral/reliable/honest" - why "wise"?  What do the other translators say?

There are also some lines which I would just like to mention because I like them so much:

- the repeated use of;

"the roads of the world grew dark"

to signify nightfall.  What a beautiful phrase, so visual - one thinks of a country road as darkness falls.

- line 239 of Book 3, which Fagles translates as;

"Now that you mention it, dear boy"

- wonderful, seems to make Nestor so much more real - he makes all these regal statements, then throws in this little aside and becomes human.

When Nestor tells Telemachus the story of Clytemnestra and Aegisthus's betrayal of Agamemnon, (line 310, Book 3) he sums it all up in the simple words:

"lover lusting for lover" - what a powerful phrase, it says so much

I also love the line:

"flocks of birds go fluttering under the sun's rays"

- a wonderful image, and the sound of the words is so "fluttery" - I think we can see the black birds flying.  I sometimes notice at dusk, here in the city, huge flocks of birds circling above the buildings, and out in the country I sometimes here a noise that I know is the approach of a flock of arctic geese on their way south - sure enough, when you look up, there they are, always in a "V" formation.  They come to some of the lochs in winter (which presumably, for them, count as warm!)

That's my twopennyworth for today - sorry it's taken so long, and also if I have asked about things you have already covered -I was racing to catch up,

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #710 on: February 26, 2011, 11:59:43 AM »

Ginny, I really appreciate the way you summarize the organize all of this material, especially for those of us who are unfamiliar with much of it.  And I need to read it closely.  I like your "shower" analogy.

But right now, must refer back to Babi’s post (#705) with a question.  Does Telemachus know that Mentor is really Athena?   Somewhere I’ve picked up the idea that he does know, and her disguise is for the others who are around.

Speaking of what the gods want, probably awe and respect is at the
top of the list, wouldn't you think?  I noticed a bit of that when Athena,
still posing as Mentor, responded a bit tartly to something Telemachus
said.

But if that be the case, he certainly does need to watch his mouth, as Babi pointed out.

Right after Mentor tells him to watch what he says, he goes on with

.   .    .the gods have long since counseled his (Odysseus’) destruction.  .    .    However, I should like to ask Nestor, for he knows much more than anyone else does.  They say he has reigned for three generations, so it is like talking to an immortal.
  (Butler)

Telemachus is saying this to a goddess?  He does need to watch his tongue.  He maturing, but has Mentor’s presence made him a bit full of himself?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
Oh what wonderful questions! I have copied them out happily  and will take them away and think on them!!

This one: In Book Two, line 60, Telemachus says the suitors;

"would rather die than approach her father's house"

- why is this the case?  Why are the suitors happier to hang around trying to ingratiate themselves with Penelope than to ask her father for her hand?  Is it because they can't prove Odysseus is dead?  I am a bit confused here  Smiley  In line 137, Antinous says that the suitors will stay "as long as she holds out" - so is it Penelope's choice?

This is an  excellent question  and brings  up another theme: blame. Everybody here is blaming everybody else, the blame game was flying in the first two chapters, I wonder where the buck really stops. Wonderful questions, thank you!~!~

What do you all think about these or anything else?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #712 on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »
Ginny - our posts "crossed"!

I think the flashbacks are essential to keep the story exciting.  We need to know what has led to all of this, but if Homer just rattled it all off in order, I don't think it would be as interesting.  I like this method.

I am not sure about modern day sacrifices.  I suppose suicide bombers make the ultimate sacrifice.  The most that most people do, I think, is light candles, but they are usually in memory of someone, or to pray for someone, not to "appease" a god.  I am amazed that these Greeks always eat the animals' "innards" - somewhere along the line something has changed, as no matter what I do with the stuff my children will not eat liver, kidney, etc!  But maybe modern Greeks are more sensible - I think offal (as it is called in the UK) is widely eaten in France. for example.

I laughed when you mentioned the numerous sub-plots in Dallas - does anyone remember the spoof programme "Soap"? - at the start of each episode there was a long synopsis of the previous week's story, after which the voice would always say:

"Confused?  You won't be, after this week's episode of Soap"

Clearly things haven't changed for thousands of years.

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: February 26, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
Pedln, we were posting together, thank you.

I thought where the bird flew off was the aha moment of Athena as Mentor, does every translation have that?  It was actually a cool moment, I thought.

Gumtree

« Reply #714 on: February 26, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
We lack a definition for Grenian,

This is  Gerenian -From memory (shaky)  I believe there was some dispute even in antiquity as to where Nestor's Pylos was located. One theory put forward was that Pylos was actually in Spain.There is a place named Pilas (Pylos?) which is not far from Gerena - thus Gerenian Nestor ?? Maybe the use of Gerenian by Homer perpetuated an already ancient dispute as to the location  - I've checked a couple of references I have but can't turn anything concrete up at the moment.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #715 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks Gumtree - sounds convincing to me.  I tried googling it and I all I got was (1) the name of a financial services company, and (2) the "archives of erotica" or something - a US site which I did not open!

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #716 on: February 26, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
" did Menelaus ever get Helen back?"

That's one I can answer -- most of them I can't.

Yes. We'll see them together as a couple shortly, when T visits them.

The different explanations of why Penelope doesn'rt just go back to her father's house struck me, too. I wondered if several versions were cobbled together here.

I think it says that T realized early that "Mentor" is a god early. but when she turns into a vulture, everyone realizes it.

Why a vulture, I wonder? Perhaps because it is a big bird (can't have a goddess turning into an itty bitty bird) and no one eats it (you can't eat a goddess!) but it doesn't have the association with power that a hawk or eagle would.

But eating carrion? throwing up on enemies (that's what vultures do!). No! No! As a birder, I want to make her a falcon., with its speedy flight. Or at leaast a sharp-shinned hawk, sliding through the trees with her silver sandals.

Frybabe

« Reply #717 on: February 26, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pylos

Gumtree, re your post #714. I don't think Spain. Sounds too far out to me. I checked Barry Cunliffe's, The Extraordinary Voyage of Pytheas the Greek. Pytheas, somewhere around 320BC sailed along the Mediterranean coast, around Spain, around the British Isles, and possibly as far as far as Iceland. I could not find any reference to Pylos or Genera.

I saw several mentions that Generian is most likely a descriptive title. Apparently Nestor was rather elderly.

PS: I just found this ongoing archaeological dig at Pylos and surrounding area. Includes pix and maps of what they think may be Nestor's palace. http://www.iklaina.org/

Sorry, almost forgot the link.

bookad

« Reply #718 on: February 26, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
gere'nian:  epithet of Nestor, iii.68, etc

the above is from the glossary in the back of my copy of Odyssey transl by Lattimore
14 pages of spelling of names from translated Greek and at least one reference to each

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

JudeS

« Reply #719 on: February 26, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »
Re Nestor and Gerenian:
I went to about ten sites in relation to this name. It seems we are not the only ones who have trouble figuring out the meaning. In the end these facts  seem to explain that word the best :

Nestor was born in the ancient town of Gerenea in Messina.

Nestor was brought up among the Gerenians.

The word Gerenian refers only to Nestor and not to anyone else in the Odyssey.

Fun Fact:
In an interview with Colin Firth (he of The King's Speech) the fabulous actor  said that he would skip Literature class and read and reread HIS favorite book. What was that, asked the interviewer. His answer "The Odyssey"!