General Book Discussions & More > Poetry

Poetry Page

<< < (25/1070) > >>

BarbStAubrey:
Welcome to our Poetry Page.
FairAnna and Barbara will alternate creating a focus for us - The poetry page is a haven for those of us who listen to words that open our hearts, and imagination, and allow our feelings be known about the poems we share - We are looking forward to continuing this tradition.

Please, joins us this month as Fairanna helps us look closer at the work of: THOMAS HARDY
Born 1840 the son of a stonemason in Dorsetshire, England he left fiction writing for poetry, and published eight collections, including Wessex Poems (1898) and Satires of Circumstance (1912). Thomas Hardy died in 1928.

A few links about Hardy and his poems.

Thomas Hardy

Poems of Thomas Hardy

Thomas and Emma

Thomas Hardy and His Wessex
Discussion Leaders: BarbStAubrey & Fairanna

BarbStAubrey:
Did IT - Yeah!

To start  us on our road of discovering Thomas Hardy here is a contribution...

The Difference

I
Sinking down by the gate I discern the thin moon,
And a blackbird tries over old airs in the pine,
But the moon is a sorry one, sad the bird's tune,
For this spot is unknown to that Heartmate of mine.

II

Did my Heartmate but haunt here at times such as now,
The song would be joyous and cheerful the moon;
But she will see never this gate, path, or bough,
Nor I find a joy in the scene or the tune.

Babi:
BARB, after reading the French sonnet re. daffodils, I had to wonder if the French daffodils bloom longer.  You don't see them that late in the year here. ???

Until I saw this proposed 'poet', I didn't even know Thomas Hardy wrote any poetry.  Of his prose, some I liked and some I didn't.  So, let's see about the poetry.  I enjoyed the one Barb just posted.  The few I've found so far seem much too long to post.  I'll keep looking, and read what others are posting.

BarbStAubrey:
yes Babi - I read  how she or he wants time to stand still but says nothing about time overlapping - I think the Daffodil and her winter time were metaphors to a happy love versus the winter that symbolized the end of their love relationship.

I am sure when Fairanna gets to come in she will have loads of Hardy poems from her books for us - it was Fairanna who suggested Thomas Hardy - I do know she had eye surgery a couple of weeks ago but we have heard all is well - in the meantime I am using the internet because I do not own a book of Thomas Hardy poems. From his bio it seems he wrote his novels first before switching to poetry. I didn't realize he was living until 1928.

JoanK:
Why didn't I know this site had opened up earlier? I guess because I go in checking "show new replies to my posts", and so miss "new" sites. Look forward to Hardy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version