Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 417816 times)

Jonathan

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1720 on: May 27, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it.  

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

Ella, I've consulted a librarian about acquisition policies, and I was told that in this case it may have been a matter of funding - more money when the 1812 book came out (2004), than there was when the Kissinger book came out (2009). Perhaps, it was felt, there would be more interest in the one or the other. It would also reflect the kind of history research assignments  in the schools, etc, etc.

Interesting reminder of the Burr discussion. Wasn't he a character! You're right. Burr wouldn't have been on the run on that lavish houseboat. I believe he was on his way to the Blennerhassetts and their mansion on the Ohio river island. Then he was still looking for support for his imperial schemes.

OTHER POWERS is mostly about the living. And much of it was pretty wild. Spiritualism became quite a fad after the Civil War because of the tremendous loss of life. I was thinking of marjifay's post about a week ago, about the Faust book: THE REPUPLIC OF SUFFERING. (post 1679)

Harold, is there a book out on the Madoff fraud? Just the other day I read something of a Madoff dil who is planning to publish a book on the subject. I don't know if she is the widow of Madoff's son. The son who took his own life.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1721 on: May 28, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
Just got from the library a book about the Supreme Court justices in Roosevelt's court. It looks interesting: I'll report on it later (have to read my mystery stories first!)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1722 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »
Thanks, JONATHAN.  Makes good sense that authors, publishers would suffer through a recession also; although our library system is supported through real estate taxes.  Of course, real estate suffered through those years as well and are still.

In our discussion of Burr (what was the book?) I remember how surprised I was that he took a band  of fellows up to Quebec to attempt to storm the city and gain fame and fortune for America!  He was plumped up was he!  - from the victories over the British.  Well, the French weren't having it.  I loved Quebec the one time I visited it.  What a lovely city with its two levels, nothing to compare it with in my experience.

JOANK, tell us about it.  I have a vague memory that FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court to get their support for something and I can't remember what.  However, I remember it didn't work, one of the few ideas of his administration to fail and one that certainly seems ill thought out.

Babi

« Reply #1723 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:49 AM »
 I remember that time, ELLA, but only because my father talked about it.   Roosevelt's
attempt to pack the court made my Dad highly suspicious of the man thereafter. It was a
serious mistake, tho' no doubt  highly tempting to a polictician.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Jonathan

« Reply #1724 on: May 30, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »
Why later? Joan, for heavens sake, tell us the title of the SC packing case. On the other hand, my heartiest congratulations. At our age. With still some mysteries to solve! Or have you been saving them for now? Enjoy.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1725 on: June 04, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
I am reading a free online bio of Isabelle D'Este. They mentioned a sculptor who may have rivaled Michealangelo had he not been in bad health. His name is Cristoforo Romano and he had done a bust of Beatrice D'Este, so i went looking for a picture. In searching i found this site. It looks like it could keep one busy for days. Play around w/ the links which are those weird symbols at the top of the page and future pages, you'll find a lot of history readings.

http://www.third-millennium-library.com/readinghall/GalleryofHistory/DOOR.html

Enjoy......Jean

Babi

« Reply #1726 on: June 05, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
 A treasury for history buffs,  JEAN.  I'm sure you won't mind if I post that link in our Classics
discussion.  If GINNY doesn't already know about it, she will love it!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1727 on: June 05, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
 Babi - i actually had tho't of posting it in "the classics" post, but haven't been in there, so wasn't sure if it fit....... Jean

roshanarose

« Reply #1728 on: June 06, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »
Jean - Personally, I think it would be of great interest in "The Classics" post.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1729 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
 I did post the link in Classics, but I'm not sure Ginny noticed it.  It wasn't mentioned. Feel free
to post it again if you like.

marjifay

« Reply #1730 on: June 10, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
I'm reading a very interesting book, BLIND ALLEGIANCE TO SARAH PALIN by Frank Bailey.
You may not want to read it if you are a Palin fan, altho this is not strictly a bash Palin book.  Bailey worked with her for several years and was her campaign manager during her run for Alaska's governor.  He was a conservative Christian who fell under her spell, as many others did, until he got to know her better.

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1731 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »
Spurred on by the Mzartin Gardner book that fry recommended, I also got a book of his math and logic puzzles. They've been driving me crazy, although I still get an occasional one so I guess I'm not senile yet.

If you like that sort of thing and want to lie awake at night (if you'd rather not, skip the rest of this paragraph) try one that drove me crazy, and I DIDN'T get: prove that in the last Senionet get together, the number of people who shook hands an odd number of times is even (divisable by two). (Nevermind that we aare more likely to hug than to shake hands --- mathematicians are more formal).

Babi

« Reply #1732 on: June 11, 2011, 08:07:54 AM »
 Okay. JOAN, I'm sticking my neck way out here, but....
  This isn't math; it's logic.   No matter how many odd-numbered handshakes an individual may make,
he/she is shaking hands with another person.  That makes two.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1733 on: June 11, 2011, 09:23:34 PM »
BABI: you're on the right track. But the puzzle was to show that the number of PEOPLE making an odd number of handshakes is even (but you're right. The total number of handshakes has to be even, and that's important).

Babi

« Reply #1734 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
 I must have misunderstood the problem, then, JOANK.  So far as I could tell from the post, it was asking "the number of people who shook hands".

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1735 on: June 14, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
This is not really about a book, but I have today been to St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral here in Edinburgh to see the new Prestonpans Tapestry.  It is a series of the most amazing embroidered panels depicting the story of Bonnie Prince Charlie's return to Scotland, and the Battle of Prestonpans (which he won).  The panels have been embroidered by groups from all over Scotland, with some coming from as far away as Australia and the USA.  It is displayed all round the walls of the church, and is absolutely fascinating.  Some of the contributors have put in special little "signatures" in the corners, like a tractor or some other symbol of where they are from - many are from the Outer Hebrides, Islay, Skye, etc.

Just to tie it in with a book, there are quotes from Sir Walter Scott embroidered onto some of the panels.  You can see it here:

http://www.prestoungrange.org/tapestry/

Whilst I was in the Cathedral, someone was practising a bassoon piece (the Cathedral is closely connected to St Mary's Music School) - it was a hot day, and so lovely to be inside in the cool, hearing this beautiful music and being transported back to Scotland's romantic (if extremely bloody) past.

My knowledge of Scottish history is pretty poor (having been to school in the south of England) - I've never yet attempted any Scott - has anyone else?  I have read Magnus Magnusson's History of Scotland, but I think I'd better read it again, as most of it went in one ear and out the other.

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #1736 on: June 14, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
Rosemarykaye, George's mother would have been very interested in the tapestry. She was a "Bonnie Prince Charlie" Stuart and proud of it. I have the Magnusson history but have never read it. I did, eons ago, read Antonia Fraser's history, and maybe ten years ago, read a volume about Robert the Bruce (don't remember the author).

I thought I read in the Robert the Bruce book that the difference in spelling came about to differentiate the Bonnie Prince Charlie followers from the rest of the Stewarts. In an article I read recently, the author stated that it was because the French didn't have a "w" in their language. If so, it still amounted to the same thing. Whether it was a change because of linguistic differences or from a wish to separate BPC followers from non-followers(combination, thereof?) it effectively made a political statement.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1737 on: June 14, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Thanks Frybabe, I didn't know that about the Stewarts/Stuarts - always thought it was just an annoying Scottish thing that meant you nearly always got the wrong one!

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #1738 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
Rosemary: Thanks for the link to the Prestonpans tapestry - I'll need to take some time to look at. I have a branch in my family tree who are loyal Stuart supporters  - it's a long story but they still give each child the name Stuart as one of their Christian names.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

roshanarose

« Reply #1739 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
Och Aye - As I was reading about the Bonnie Prince I remembered a song we were taught at school.  I started to sing it:

After the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden and his escape back to France, with the aid of Flora MacDonald, there were still many who hoped that he would return, some day. Here is a song about that sentiment, written by Carolina Oliphant (Lady Nairne) in the first half of the 19th century). There are a number of versions of this song, this is one of them.
You can download an MP3 version of this song from Margaret Donaldson's Web site.

Will Ye No Come Back Again?

Bonnie Chairlie's noo awa',
Safely ower the friendly main;
Mony a heart will break in twa',
Should he ne'er come back again.

Chorus:
Will ye no come back again?
Better lo'ed ye canna be,

Ye trusted in your Hielan' men,
They trusted you dear Chairlie.
They kent your hidin' in the glen,
Death or exile bravin'.
Chorus

We watched thee in the gloamin' hour,
We watched thee in the mornin' grey.
Tho' thirty thousand pounds they gie,
O there is nane that wad betray.
Chorus

Sweet the laverock' s note and lang,
Liltin' wildly up the glen.
But aye tae me he sings ae sang,
Will ye no' come back again?
Chorus

Meaning of unusual words:
gloamin'=twilight
laverock=skylark

PS Loved the tapestry Rosemary, particularly the seascapes.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1740 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »
 I would love to have seen that tapestry, ROSEMARY. The link worked,
but unfortunately a further progression to viewing the tapestry did not.
We've been having some trouble with our internet connection lately. It
will do all we ask for a while, and then claim they cannot connect. So
aggravating.

Octavia

« Reply #1741 on: June 15, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
My father used to sing that song, Roshanarose. It brought a lump to my throat. Memories.
Those tapestries were spectacular, I was amazed there were so many of them, what...103 or so? I have short term memory problems, obviously!
Noted the name Dunkirk on one of them, strange to think it wouldn't have had any special significance then.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

Jonathan

« Reply #1742 on: June 16, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
How about a verse or two of, Scots, wha hae....

mabel1015j

« Reply #1743 on: June 18, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
A friend loaned us his copy of "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell - the "TippingPoint" and "Blink" author. Has anybody read it? It sounds intriquing.

The description on the back says "In understanding successful people, we have come to focus far too much on their intelligence and ambition and personality traits. ...... MC argues .....we should look at the world that surrounds the successful - their culture, their family, their generation, and their idiosyncratic experiences of their upbringing.   (Dah!) Along the way Gladwell reveals what The Beatles and Bill Gates have in common, the reason you've never heard of the smartest man (sic) inthe world,........."

Sounds like the old "naure or nurture" story. I think we (my DH and our friends) should probably read David Brooks' book, "The Social Animal" after we read this one. Has anyone read it?

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1744 on: June 19, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
I read "Blink". It was interesting.

Just finished "A Covert Affair" the story of the OSS in WWII. Julia and Paul Childs are major characters in it. It's very interesting.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1745 on: June 20, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
Rosemarykaye, that tapestry really sucked me in, and I couldn't stop until I'd looked at every single panel.  Amazing.  It must be even more so in the church.  Can you see them well?

I was startled in panel 23 to see the Union Jack without  the red cross of Saint Patrick (the red part of the diagonal cross).  I looked it up--it was added in 1800--but I'd never seen the flag without.  In panel 26, the sum of 30,000 pounds is offered for Charlie.  What a fortune that must have been then, but none of the loyal Scots turned him in.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1746 on: June 20, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
I've never yet attempted any Scott - has anyone else? 

Rosemary

I had to read a few of his poems in college, but they've vanished without a trace.  On my own, I read  Ivanhoe, The Talisman, and Quentin Durward, with great pleasure.  I've no idea what I would think of them now.

Frybabe

« Reply #1747 on: June 20, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
The closest I ever got to Sir Walter was when my sister read Ivanhoe. I think I'd like to try Rob Roy and Lady of the Lake. Ahhhhh, so many books, so little time.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1748 on: June 20, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »
Our PBS station is reshowing the series on Abraham and Mary Lincoln, starting tonight. It should be fascinating, they are a great psychological study. And our favorite, David McCullough, is the narrator........ Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1749 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:41 AM »
I guess I just thought everyone read Ivanhoe since it was what we all had to read in 8th grade English - romantic stuff for the 14 year old but then back then 14 was probably more likely like an 11 or 12 year old today. Rob Roy - Lady of the Lake ah when adventure and myth was all we needed. Never read The Talisman - I bet I could find it online - I notice I swing through quickly a book online where as reading from paper at home takes me longer. Even reading from paper at a coffee table in the bookstore and I can read a whole book in a couple of hours. Part of the reason I think is a look up and dwell on some of what I read at home where as online or in a bookstore I simply read.

My younger sister is clearing out and she came across a book she forgot she had and forgot the story - Silas Marner - she was blown away with the first few chapters and ruminated about how a place can form character and personality and how isolation affects trust. Of course I had to quickly find it online to read along - it had been years and where I remembered the outline of the story I forgot so much of the page by page of the telling. Amazing how to read something at various stages in our life gives us new realizations and we can appreciate a story from a different perspective. With that maybe I should revisit Scott - although, Rob Roy was in my mind a straight out adventure, Lady of the Lake and Ivanhoe had nuance.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1750 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
Frybabe - you are so right, so many books!  But I really must try to read some Scott, he was such an important person in Scottish history.

PatH - I'm glad you enjoyed the tapestry, and I wish you could visit Edinburgh, as you can indeed see each panel close up in the Cathedral - they are displayed on the walls at eye level and you could in theory touch them, though of course you are strictly forbidden to do so.  That £30,000 impressed me too - but what impressed me the most was how strong and resilient all these men were, on both sides - marching for days practically non-stop over terrain that was far from easy.

Barb - you are so well read!  I am ashamed!  We did not read anything Scottish at school - and I have to admit that I often didn't read the set books at all, as it just riled me being made to read anything - I managed to pass the end of year test on The Hobbit (which I still haven't read) entirely from the crib notes.  I had a wonderful English teacher who took a great interest in our lives, and I do feel bad that I didn't appreciate her at the time, and that I didn't keep in touch with her, such was the heady freedom of having escaped from loathsome school.  It's only now that I realise how nice it must be if your pupils stay in contact.

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #1751 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
My sister read Ivanhoe for school class, otherwise she wasn't much of a reader back then. She liked Ivanhoe, but reading in general was boring to her then. I don't remember what curriculum she had but mine was Business with bookkeeping focus in high school. We didn't get language or chemistry or physics like the college prep students did. Back then Business students weren't expected to go on to college. Now a days, everyone goes on to college and the colleges, for the most part, have dropped the language requirement (big mistake, in my opinion).

I do remember reading Silas Marner, some Poe and The Scarlet Letter for class and plenty of Shakespeare. My English teacher in high school was, at the time, going for a masters with a focus on Shakespeare.

Babi

« Reply #1752 on: June 21, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
 I read all of Scotts novels, I believe, ROSEMARY.  Shucks, I thought everyone did. Surely
a Scotswoman would have read them, right? National pride, and all that.
  I loved them, but of course I was young at the time. That may have made a difference...
but I doubt it. I wouldn't mind reading them again; it's been so long. Actually, reading
the following posts, I don't remember reading "The Talisman".  But as I said, it was long,
long ago.
  Ah, you missed something with 'The Hobbit", ROSEMARY.  A charming and delightful book,
with enough grit in it to keep it far from being childish.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1753 on: June 21, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »
Yes Babi, I am full of shame - but actually I am not a Scotswoman, I just live here!  I was born in London!

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1754 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
 ;)
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Gumtree

« Reply #1755 on: June 21, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
Barbara - Silas Marner - George Eliot is one of my favourite 19th century authors - well, isn't she everyone's favourite.... I've read all her novels more than once and some of her other stuff too which aren't exactly 'beach reads'

Babi - you read ALL of Scott's novels? Wow! - I've read most but certainly not all. We have a fondness for Scott because one of DHs distant family connections helped Scott in gathering ballads for the 'Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border' - He was the orientalist and linguist Dr John Leyden who died young in what was then called Batavia -  Scott mourned him in 'The Lord of the Isles' with a few lines in Canto IV:

Quench's is his lamp of varied lore,
That loved the light of song to pour;
A distant and a deadly shore
Has Leyden's cold remains.

Leyden took issue with Scott over the character of 'Marmion' but even so these few lines written by Leyden who also wrote poetry appear at the beginning of Scott's  'Marmion'

Alas! that Scottish maid should sing
The combat where her lover fell!
That Scottish Bard should wake the string,
The triumph of our foes to tell!
LEYDEN.

- connections, connections.... weird isn't it?

Frybabe

« Reply #1756 on: June 21, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Interesting man, Dr. Leyton. Too bad he didn't write more. Here is a link to a bio on the Denholm Village website which includes one or two of his poems and a photo at the bottom , being that of Lady Raffles besides whom he is buried.  http://www.denholmvillage.co.uk/johnleyden.html

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1757 on: June 22, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »
Wow Gumtree, what interesting ancestors you have!  My mother has been researching her family tree for as long as I can remember, and there is not a glimmer of a claim to fame amongst any of them.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1758 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »
 Oh, well, not Scots. In that case you're forgiven, ROSEMARY. ;)

I say I've read all of them, GUM, but that may have been all I was
aware of. There were possibly less well-known books of his I've missed.
Ivanhoe was my favorite.
  Uhh, how do we happen to be discussing Scott and Eliot in non-fiction??

Gumtree

« Reply #1759 on: June 22, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
Rosemary:
Wow Gumtree, what interesting ancestors you have

He's not exactly an ancestor as he had no offspring - it's just a family connection. DH and I were quite chuffed to find we had one interesting family each. Leyden is his, mine is a Jacobite family who were prominent in the English King's army for generations and who maintained a safe house complete with underground tunnels  for Jacobites on the run. It's such fun!

Babi
how do we happen to be discussing Scott and Eliot in non-fiction??

I've been wondering the same thing. Wish I could think of a suitable book title to recommend - maaybe J.G Lockhart's Memoirs of the Life of Sir Walter Scott would do the trick...or could put everyone to sleep. I think it's in ten volumes....