Author Topic: Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin  (Read 48392 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2010, 03:14:28 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Ursula Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness

A classic, groundbreaking science fiction novel, which explores issues of gender role, honor, trust and suspicion, against a background of survival in a cruelly harsh wintry climate.

Discussion schedule:
Oct 1-7       Ch 1-6
Oct 8-14     Ch 7-12
Oct 15-21   Ch 13-17
Oct 22-28   Ch 18-20; afterword and appendices for those who have them. Link to afterword.
Oct 29-31   Thoughts about anything in the book or Le Guin's other works

SeniorLearn Readers' Guide

Ursula Le Guin website

Discussion Leaders:  PatH and Marcie

I'm so glad this discussion finally led me to read Le Guin. It was a wonderful discussion: many thanks to Pat, Marcie, and all you great discussants.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
What a wonderful discussion we've had. Even so, I think we barely scratched the surface of all the anthropological, philosophical and political (ideological?) ideas presented within.

Thanks one and all for a most interesting discussion.

Frybabe, I think  you are right that we can still learn more. If anyone is interested, I found some web sites with articles about this book and interviews with Ursula Le Guin. There are just a few of them on our Readers' Guide page for The Left Hand of Darkness.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
For anyone who hasn't satisfied their appetite for analyzing the book, some of the references in Marcie's link, especially the chapter-by-chapter analysis, have a lot more material.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2010, 07:22:51 AM »
I've really enjoyed discussing this book with all of you.  I thought I knew it well, but you have taught me more, and it's been a great sharing of ideas and opinions.  Thanks for traveling this road with me.