Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 420244 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #2200 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

"I am one of those jack-of-all-trade types who knows a little about a lot but am master of none"

That's me, too. I'm a fact squirrel. My husband used to say, when I pulled out some obscure fact but forgot a dentist appointment that the less important it is, the more I remember it.

Frybabe

« Reply #2201 on: June 13, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
 ;D ;D

Tomereader1

« Reply #2202 on: June 13, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
A good friend used to always say:  "I know just enough to get me into trouble"!  But she was a wealth of information on many subjects, and could fix almost anything!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2203 on: June 13, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »
"I know just enough to get me into trouble"!  That's good!

JimNT

« Reply #2204 on: June 14, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
As usual, I'm reading books that most have already read.   Presently, I'm within 50 pages of completing Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs Bio and have found it to be one of the most fascinating reads of recent vintage.  My emotions ranged from disgust to admiration but my interest never waned.  I scrolled back several days scanning the SeniorsLearn comments by others hoping to find opinions of other readers of this book but I suppose I didn't go far enough.  I'd love to hear some others take on this book.  Incidentally, I like David McCullough, too, and his mention brought to mind a recent news item about his son and, true to form, I have completely forgotten what it was all about.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2205 on: June 14, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »
I'm planning to read about Jobs, having been involved in the computer industry early. But haven't yet. I was a little afraid it would be just a puff piece advertising the Mac products.

JimNT

« Reply #2206 on: June 15, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »
Joan K:  It's not.  Had I been Jobs (Fat chance), I wouldn't have allowed Isaacson to publish the book.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #2207 on: June 15, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
I havn't yet read the book of Jobs but what I have read about him I don't really think that he ever gave a darn about what was said and so Isascson's book would not have bothered him at all.  He was a smart man but sounded to be a little strange.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2208 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
I've liked a couple of Babara Tuchman's books, particulary A Distant Mirror, so i picked up The First Salute. It's about the little Caribbean country that was the first country to salute an American ship after July 4th, 1776. I'm sure there's much more to it than that, but i've just read the first chapter. So far the writing is a bit disappointing. I may have too great expectstions of Tuchman. Has anybody read it?

I'm still plowing thru A History of Food. It's one of those pick up and put down books w/ an interesting bit each time, altho not enthalling overall. I like having one of those on my nightstand.

Jean

JimNT

« Reply #2209 on: June 21, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »
I've started reading a series of books, the first of which is authored by Alan Watts, on the subject of Zen.  Just curious; not searching for the meaning of life, a cause I pursued in my earlier years to no avail.  Any Zen Masters out there?

Babi

« Reply #2210 on: June 21, 2012, 08:28:19 AM »
 That could turn out to be a fascinating subject, JIM.  Let us know how you get on.  No, I know
nothing about it except that apparently poses odd problems that are supposed to make you
re-adjust your thinking processes.  I think.  ???
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2211 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
I remember reading Alan Watts decades ago, but don't remember many details. I have a number of books on buddism (though not Zen particularly). Those and taking yoga have influenced my attitude toward life.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2212 on: June 21, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
The math nerd part of me is reading "The Clockwork Universe" by Edward Dolnick about Newton's discovery of calculus and the law of gravity, and the argument with Leibnitz as to who discovered calculus first. At least, that's what the end of the book is about. We wander a lot through 17th century London first.

Anyone who's been to a math conference knows that math arguments, while usually couched in polite language, can be brutal, and this one is no exception. And poor Newton apparently lived up to his reputation as the worlds least likable genius.

I found the book great fun and very good at giving a sense of how revolutionary ways of thinking that we take for granted were when they were first introduced. Makes me wonder what ways of thinking that we are blind to are awaiting our children.

Babi

« Reply #2213 on: June 22, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
 For that matter, JOAN, think of all the things we now accept that would have been strange to
our parents and unheard of to our grandparents.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #2214 on: June 22, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »
Some of you may enjoy a blog email that i get each day.

http://www.delanceyplace.com/delancey_archives.php

Their Homepage description is: Delanceyplace is very simply a brief daily email with an excerpt or quote we view as interesting or noteworthy, offered with commentary to provide context.  There is no theme, except that most excerpts will come from a non-fiction work, mainly works of history, and we hope will have a more universal relevance than simply the subject of the book from which they came.
We hope that you will enjoy these. If not, simply follow the directions in the email to remove your name from our list. If you enjoy these, and have a friend you think might enjoy these too, we'd love for you to share this with them by clicking on the "Share" link in the blue column to the left.  You can also use this link to post to Twitter, Facebook, save it in your favorites, or any of  number of other social networking sites.
We would also covet any comments or suggestions.   You may send us your comments and suggestions by clicking here and filling out the contact form or by sending an email to feedback@delanceyplace.com .
All profits from Delanceyplace are donated to charity.
Thank you!
Richard Vague, Founder
Clarissa F. Griebel, Publisher

I've found the excerpts very interesting.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #2215 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
my goodness Jim, a Zen Master - whew -

For years I have been reading and seeing my world mostly through the Tao but with some Zen - practicing meditation and contemplation has brought me calm insight and practicing Zen to learn to see reality clarifies like nothing else.

I must say though that I find the principles to work hand and glove with many of the contemplative theologians especially, thirteenth-fourteenth century philosopher, theologian, Meister Eckhart and mystical doctor St. John of the Cross.

One of the DVDs that with every watch shows me more is, Amongst White Clouds- Buddhist Hermit Masters of China's Zhongnan Mountains.

JoanK I am impressed that you took yoga - everytime I thought I would start something came along and now I am concerned I could even do a basic position - sitting with my feet under and pointed behind me is a feat. I have started practicing Qigong - I haven't noticed any significant change but it does make me feel less sedentary as if I can really still move my body in ways that benefit me.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #2216 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
Barb, there is a wonderful dvd titled "Yoga for the Rest of Us". I've had my copy so long it's a video tape. You can do the exercises either on the floor or modified for sitting on a chair. It feels good.

Jean

Babi

« Reply #2217 on: June 23, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »
  I added Delanceyplace to my favorites list, but I didn't arrnge for a daily email.
I might try that; see if I enjoy their selections. I sometimes add a interesting spot
to my favorites and then only look at them when I need something to do.

Alas, I can no longer get down on the floor...can't get up again!  Seriously.  To me, moving
my body in ways that benefit me now means making my own bed, doing a bit of housework
and walking carefully out to the car for short trips around town.  I even find it hard to walk
across the lawn, simply because the ground is so uneven.  Once I'm out there, I often have to
do the 'robot' dance, shifting my feet carefully in slow, short turns.  I imagine it's something to
see, tho' I'm hoping no one does.  ;)

marjifay

« Reply #2218 on: June 23, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
No Zen Master, Jim (lol), but I loved Alan Watts' books and read every one of them back in the 1970s and listened to tapes of his lectures.  Also liked THE TAO OF PHYSICS; AN EXPLORATION OF THE PARALLELS BETWEEN MODERN PHYSICS AND EASTERN MYTHOLOGY by Fritjot Capra.  These books radically changed my thinking about religion.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2219 on: June 23, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
The yoga I do now is chair yoga: a yoga class for those of us who can't get down and up from the floor anymore. I also have a tape of chair yoga.

But the breathing and meditation techniques can be learned from a book.

Babi

« Reply #2220 on: June 24, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
  I practiced meditation in my 30's & 40's and found it most helpful and calming.  I wish I had
not let it lapse.  I'm still not sure how that happened.  Too many crises all coming together at
once, I suppose, grabbing all my attention.   ::)

mabel1015j

« Reply #2221 on: June 24, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »
O.k., my meandering around and picking up and putting down is officially a favorite part of my retirement years! While reading an old Newsweek magazine, i saw a review of Taylor Branch's The Clinton Tapes. I liked his work on MLK. He jam packs a book w/ minutia, sometimes i like that, sometimes i don't and do some skimming. This sounded interesting. When i was at the library i looked for it. 700 pages!!! And i will definitely be skimming a lot of the diplomatic hither and fros and picking up and putting down and meandering around for as long as it takes. Thanks to being retired, i have the time and have no qualms about doing that.

What really intriqued me is Branch's apparent integrity in his writing and the fact that he and C had been college friends. Also the reviewer said that C had asked B early in his first term to come to the WH secretly, tape their discussions of recent events and to leave the tapes w/ Bill. He hid them in his sock drawer!!! The reviwer said only C's scheduler knew he was coming, but i can't believe that Hillary didn't know.
B taped his own version of the recollections of the conversations as he drove back to Baltimore after each session, so it's not just a transcript, he includes his own opinions and feelings. Of course, i'm sure there was an agreement that B could not publish anything until after Bill wrote his book, which is only right. So i've got a lot of material to look forward to over the. Ext few months.

Babi

« Reply #2222 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »
 I wonder how the two books compare.  They are naturally going to have some differences of
opinion, but it would be interesting to see how each 'remembers' different events and discussions.  Have you read the Clinton book, JEAN?  I haven't; I guess I assumed it was just
another politician keeping himself in the public eye.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2223 on: June 25, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
No, i haven't read Clinton's book, but i might if i survive these 700 pages  :D.

So, just 30 pages in, it's very interesting. C asked B to assess his inaugural address just 2 days before Jan 20. "Seeing"  the process of that is fun. Also, i just had a conversation w/ some friends who are very currant- events oriented and i was commenting that there is no job training for president and that i'm sure it is much more complicated than we can imagine. B mentions that C had asked Gardner Taylor, a colleague of MLK to speak at the church service on inauguration day. The service was at an A.M.E. church. Vernon Jordan had suggested Taylor to C, because he was an outsider, so there wouldn't be any competition or feelings of rejection and jealousy among the A.M.E. bishops if one was chosen over the other!!!

So many pieces in the puzzel of presidential decisions! There is so much we know nothing about.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2224 on: June 25, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
Have I mentioned The Presidents' Club?  We've just finished it - a great look at the interactions between past and current presidents.  It starts with Truman and Hoover and comes to the present.  Fascinating!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

CallieOK

« Reply #2225 on: June 25, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »
A friend just loaned me The Presidents' Club and I'm anxious to begin reading it.
I like the idea of presidents talking or corresponding with each other privately and have always suspected there's more of that than we're aware of - especially with so many living past presidents. 

I enjoy reading presidential biographies and like to read both "pro" and "con", if I can - as long as the "con" isn't a biased Rant.  There are always two sides to each story.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2226 on: June 25, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
Jean, I don't know if you had recommended/linked "DelancyPlace" in a post earlier than June 22, but I had already found it, and I do get the daily emails, which are totally interesting.  They are not overly long, but are fun to read.  You just never know what's going to pop up!  I hope others here will go to the link, and opt for the emails.

I have been reading "A World Lit Only by Fire" by Wm. Manchester.  I can't recall if it was recommended here in one or another of the discussions, or from Seniors&Friends.  It is a very eye-opening read, and I am enjoying it despite having to read about the violence and in-humanity of the Medieval age, and even later.  (But what else is new?)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2227 on: June 25, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
I am enjoying it despite having to read about the violence and in-humanity of the Medieval age, and even later.
That sort of thing is what put me off of finishing "A Distant Mirror".  I couldn't stand the times, though I normally like Tuchman.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2228 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
I skim the violence stuff if it becomes excessive for me.

Mary, i'm glad you mentioned Presidents Club. That sounds like something i'd like to read.

Tomereader, is that THE Wm Manchester of Kennedy era fame? What is the book about?

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #2229 on: June 26, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »
Basically a timeline from A.D.410 to 1536.  Subtitle: The Medieval Mind and the Renaissance. Yes, THE Manchester wrote: The Death of A President, The Arms of Krupp, American Caesar and Goodbye, Darkness. and many others.  Adjunct prof of History at Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn.  This book copyrighted 1992.  He may not be around any longer (?)

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #2230 on: June 26, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »
I read The Arms of Krupp when I was in high school. Gosh, that was a long time ago. He passed away in 2004.

CubFan

« Reply #2231 on: June 28, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
Greetings -

I want to thank those of you who gave me reading suggestions. I think I now have a reasonable understanding of history 1900-1920 and World War I. Based on your suggestions I read Proud Tower, To End All Wars, Guns of August, Illusion of Victory, and Paris 1919. I also have The Great War and Modern Memory but since the print is so small I will wait until I get new glasses.  I also just finished Revolutionaries which was slow gong but very interesting.  I'm going to shift to some less intense reading for a while. Pops will probably be my next nonfiction choice.

Thanks.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

mabel1015j

« Reply #2232 on: June 28, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
I am impressed that you can read one period so intensely. Unless i am preparing for a class, i get bored w/ too much of one time or event. i enjoy reading a variety of subjects. It must be valuable to be able to compare and contrast so many books of the time. Which did you like the best? What is Pops about - my guess is Louis Armstrong.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #2233 on: June 29, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »
CubFan, I hope your new glasses will be better than the ones I got. I no longer can read the fine print on such things as can labels in the grocery store. I could with my old glasses. The people who did my glasses cannot seem to get them adjusted right so that I can read with them without holding the book way back. Right! You try to read through the cat or hold the book way up in the air for any length of time. Pair two is entirely unusable except for distance. It is too uncomfortable for reading and watching TV as I must tilt my chin way up so I can see through the clearest part. I also have to sit farther away from my computer monitor which means stretching my mouse arm out most of the way. They are progressives, and yes, I am used to progressives. Also, my eyes get tired and fuzzy much easier with these glasses.

Sorry, you got my soapsuds foaming.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2234 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
I know - I have varifocals and I don't know why I bothered, as I can't see short distances with them at all - they're OK for driving, etc but for reading I just take them off, which makes me think I should have saved the extra money I had to pay to get the 2 functions in one pair (if that makes any sense...)

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #2235 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
 Perfect sense, ROSEMARY.  It is so frustrating.  I need one pair of glasses to see
the computer clearly, and the other to read the smaller print, and I'm sitting here
switching from one pair to the other in order to enter discussion notes from the
book to the computer! >:(

mabel1015j

« Reply #2236 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
I've had trifocals for more then a decade and like them fine. The last two prescription changes i've had to go back for an adjustment, but they came out o.k. I think it's hard to say which one is "better" when they are testing me. My doctor is very good about making me happy. Have you gone back for a reassessment?

Tomereader1

« Reply #2237 on: June 29, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »
I too have had Trifocals for years.  I first tried to get the kind with "no lines", but I coulnd't even see or focus with those.  These are great, don't bother me a bit.  You learn to focus thru each segment as needed.  Top is regular vision, middle is reading from a computer screen, bottom is for regular reading.  The idea is to move you eyes, not your head while you are learning the focus routine!

Now that we are talking, briefly, about something other than books,
(health?)  what is a good remedy for shaving rash?  A friend had said she simply dry shaved her legs, and it worked better for her.  I tried that on my legs, and I have the awfulest case of shaving rash I've ever seen or heard of.  Tried Benadryl, Benadryl Anti-Itch Gel, Anti Itch spray, various hydrocortizone creams/ointments.  None of this is working.  I'm about to go bonkers here!  Old home remedies will be gladly accepted too! 

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #2238 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
I have been lucky.  Never had to shave either legs or underarms.  My mother was the same.  No idea why.  Always had thick hair on head.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #2239 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
You might try the Bach products - they do have a combo called Rescue that I carry with me that a few drops under your tongue takes stress during an emergency and they now have Rescue cream -
http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

and then I would follow up with whatever deadening product you use for a bad sunburn - for me solarcaine where as my Aloe Vera is handy it does not deaden the pain.

I also found that I need to keep my legs semi-weekly foliated like my face and daily slathered with moisturizer so that the skin is as smooth as you can make it. Before shaving you may try to flood the area with peroxide and leave it for 10 minutes.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe