Author Topic: Women's Issues  (Read 364036 times)

Steph

Re: Women's Issues
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2013, 06:32:08 AM »
Women's Issues
If Art imitates Life, what does Literature show about the place of women in our society? From the Red Tent to the new movie Anna Karenina,  to Malala Yousafzai in the news, has the state of women changed? What IS the state of women today, in your opinion?

Let's talk about how women are portrayed in the press, and in literature, and how accurate it is.   How does advertising reflect, if it does, how women are portrayed?  (Remember heels and pearls to sell refrigerators?)

How does it seem to you that women are portrayed today?

Let's talk
!

National Women's History Project
I loved the stories of how the Japanese cherry trees were planted there. I have been to the festival several times many years ago. Like an umbrella of blossoms in some areas. Jackie Kennedy... ah the fashion icon of my young married life. She always looked just right to me..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #441 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »
"She always looked just right to me.. "

Except when I saw her one day (before JFK was president) in Georgetown a few blocks from where she lived, eight months pregnant with JohnJohn, creeping unsteadily down an almost vertical hill wearing six inch hells. My friends and I wanted to rush up and help her but were afraid secret service men would come out of nowhere and shoot us.

We held our breathes til she got to the bottom.

MaryPage

« Reply #442 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
I find myself wondering where the National Outrage is.

Why is it that the citizens of this fantabulous nation, the majority of whom care mightily about what happens to one another when bad times hit, and favor laws to protect themselves and others from the predations of such bad times, are not standing up on their tippy, tippy toes and screaming bloody blue murder and threatening to replace every senator or representative who is refusing even to let anything COME TO A VOTE?  We the people of these united states have ourselves a couple of gridlocked legislative bodies that are worse than hopelessly constipated, all because their purses are brimming with the illbegotten lucre of special interests who own them, lock, stock and barrel.  Which, given these times and some of the issues, is not a bad simile.

But where, oh where, is the outrage?

Steph, I read where your governor has cut off Medicaid to anyone making more than $3,200 a year!  And has cut out mental health funding, all sorts of programs for children and single mothers, even the shots REQUIRED to get into the school system!  He has cut out and set adrift and caused to join the huge crowds of homeless inumerable more tens of thousands.  But he has not forgotten his chief priority in this life of his:  There are EIGHTEEN anti-abortion bills up for the legislature, and he will sign them all into law.  Fer sure!

Where is the SHAME of the American people?

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:33 AM »
Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC featured film clips of 82 year old Frances Perkins speaking about the fight to bring into law Social Security.  While struggling, she spoke at a tea party the hostesses husband a Supreme Court Justice advised her to use the right to taxation.  So Social Security and Obama Care are using the same reasoning.  He will have more of her film clip tomorrow evening - Thursday.  Their is a very good biography about her.

Steph

« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2013, 06:31:55 AM »
No, the Florida governor is more interested in making Florida into a totally business state. Our legislature is more of the anti abortion people.. Scott is horrible however about our poorer citizens and should be ashamed of himself.
But what do you expect when you elect a man who made his money on medical things.. and got in trouble with medicare about managed care. Bah..

MaryPage

« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »
But I ask again, do the majority of the citizens of Florida fervently believe that stopping a woman from having an abortion is the most important function of their elected governing bodies?
Why is this intrusiion into the private body health of any one woman MORE IMPORTANT than the safety of the citizenry as a whole?
Are we to put all of our minds and efforts into stopping the individual rights to privacy of a woman and forget about policing our streets and pathways?  Providing firefighters for our homes and businesses?  What about threats from other nations?  Oh, wait foreign country causing trouble, wait!  We have to pass more laws against abortion!
If a woman calls 911 from her home in Florida, in fear for her life because of an intruder, she may well be raped and left for dead before the much reduced police force can respond to that call.  But oh boy, if she turns up pregnant from that rape, the law will be all over her to make absolutely sure she does not have an abortion.  Nope!  A child must be born from that rape, regardless of the woman's life circumstances.  The birth of this child is the most important thing in this WORLD!
But no funds available for the woman's mental health, or the child's, or the shots required by law, or the pre natal or post natal or post post natal care and feeding and education.  Once born alive, the child can then wither away and die for all these legislators care!
I am trying to figure the common sense here, and I just cannot follow the thinking.  It does not compute.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #446 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
Good Early Afternoon Everyone!  I just woke up, please excuse any typos…

{…} even the shots REQUIRED to get into the school system! 

{…} But no funds available for … or the shots required by law, {…}

FYI: Vaccinations in all but two states can be waivered, religiously or philosophically: Mississippi and West Virginia are the two that possess no waiver.

CDC School Vaccines and Requirements: http://www2a.cdc.gov/nip/schoolsurv/schImmRqmtReport.asp
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

MaryPage

« Reply #447 on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »
Not talking about whether individual parents can REFUSE to have their children vaccinated.  Talking about the fact that Florida used to provide these shots, which are definitely recommended and recorded by all school systems before children are enrolled, to those parents without the means to pay for them.  Now they do not.  These shots will not be given to those children whose parents do not have the money to pay for them.  They can jolly well die of whooping cough or tetanus or whatever!

Steph

« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2013, 06:28:03 AM »
Florida will do anything not to pay taxes. A truly remarkably stupid decision, but this is a conservative state with way too many older people, who see no reason they should pay for anything. I am older of course, but feel we should all pay our fair share.. I live here because my husband adored the climate and my two sons live here. Not a choice of mine.

MaryPage

« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
I have read that the very rich, the ones other than of the Bill Gates mindset, that is, honestly believe Life is a matter of the survival of the fittest (Darwin in $) and the poor should perish rather than create more poor.  They (the poor) obviously do not have what it takes to survive in this world!  If they did, they would be rich, too!  Or at least making a living.

But if you are coming along just fine, working to buy a house and a car and a future for your children, and you and your husband lose your jobs in this dreadful economy which collapsed under massive efforts to make the rich even richer through crooked hedge funds, and you lose your house and your car and become homeless and sick, well tough!  Too bad, but you are just numbers on a piece of paper and you lost the lottery, as it were, and you and your children SHOULD NOT survive!

Blows my mind, it does.  But this is, so I am told, how they comfort themselves.

Well, on the other side of the ledger, more women hold jobs than men.  More women are graduating from college and grad schools.  More women are becoming doctors and lawyers and accountants.  Men may become like drones and be pretty useless in our society, except for their sperm, and women will need fewer and fewer children as they (the women) take over the running of this world.

Maybe women will vote to give struggling women a boost up and let the useless masses of males experience non-survival!

Steph

« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »
To me, but probably not to them, the conservatives seem to have this mind set,, why else not tax the rich a bit more,, why else try to privatize medicare..why else butcher Medicaid.. I have friends and one son who are firmly conservative and very very loud with it. I try hard to not bring up anything around this son, since I truly don't want to argue with him, but I admit to not understanding why he does not want me to have a liberal opinion. I don't begrudge him his conservative one.

marjifay

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »
From what I've seen, many conservatives are somewhat like radical evangelical Christians.  They believe they are the only ones with the "truth."

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
That has been my experience, as well.  Me, I love to hear other human beings express their opinions, and then how they have come to believe that opinion is correct.  I have learned so much about Life by listening to how others have seen and lived it.  Feel I do not and cannot know all the answers as to "Why We Are Here" and so forth, but that I can and should explore all the trails leading to ever clearer possibilities as to such answers.  Beware the words "heresy" and "dogma."  These come from the mouths of old men who want to condemn any thoughts that pop up "outside the box" of what they have already declared "absolute."  Oh yes, there is another word to avoid being trapped by.

Steph

« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »
Change and women. Another discussion here made me mentally go back to when I was in high school and college.. That was in the late 50's.. How life has changed for women in just my lifetime.. I remember a friend, who owned her own business,was quite successful, etc. She went out and tried to buy a car when she needed a new one and they would not deal with her until she brought her husband back to sign with her. Amazing.. when I think of it. She was furious.. It was her money, her business.. Now it would never happen or at least I hope not.

MaryPage

« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »
I think young women of today who are NOT college educated, and therefore have not had a deep study of history, simply do not KNOW that traditionally a father OWNED his daughter until such time as he made an arrangement with a man or his family and married her off and she AND ALL HER PROPERTY then became the property of the husband.  If her father and husband both died, she became the property of her oldest son.  If no son, then of her oldest daughter's husband.  If none of these, then of her oldest nephew, and so on and so on.
The claim was that this was for the "protection" of the woman.
But it was not.  Men honestly thought of females as liabilities.
And, as I say, the young women today are clueless about this.  I keep thinking: "If only they knew!  If only they could wrap their minds around this and accept it, then maybe they would realize the medieval treatment of women elsewhere today was once our way.  Maybe they would begin to fight back right here."
One of my granddaughters thrilled my heart when she was married several years ago.  She announced she was walking down the aisle by herself.  "NO ONE is giving ME away!  I am not a piece of property, I am a person!"  She adores my son Chris, her daddy.  But she saw the history and decided to refuse to allow it to be a part of her ceremony.  Her contract was to be between her and her husband, NOT between her husband and her father!
In Ancient Greece, where the name democracy first originated, it meant citizenship for an elite class of free men, and excluded slaves and women from political participation. So did our own constitution here in the United States.  You had to be a white, male property owner in order to have a voice in our government.

Steph

« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2013, 06:28:16 AM »
Yes, our founding fathers believed in being a property owner. I suspect because that is why the families came here in the first place.. But the Dutch here in the mid 1600's in Manhattan (New Amsterdam) and upstate did not subscribe. Women controlled their own property, were ship owners and sometimes Captains, owned large plantations.. When the English took over, that changed, but at the very beginning the Dutch were very different.

MaryPage

« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
Scroll down to where Helen begins her comments.  When she is done, scroll down just a little to Margaret's.  They are older than most of us, and don't mince a word!
They have the ability to make me laugh, and today, as on every day, that is a good thing.

http://margaretandhelen.com/

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
I love, LOVE Margaret and Helen.  They haven't posted anything in quite a while, though.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
They are great, thanks for sharing their blog site, i didn't know about it. LOL!

mabel1015j

« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
This is wonderful!!!

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Video/Business/Leadership-and-Management/Sheryl-Sandberg-on-Lean-In-Women-Work-and-the-Will-to-Lead/46978?utm_source=FROTD&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Free%2BResource%20of%20the%20Day

If the link doesn't work its a video on LearnOutLoud.com,  then type in Lean In or Sheryl Sandberg. The discussion is well worth the listening time. I sent it to all the younger adults i know, men and women, not that i think more then a few will listen or read it. One of them returned a reply that her 21/2 yr old is very bossy. I said "Stop calling her bossy, or letting others call her bossy, and tell them she is ASSERTIVE."

I have to get her book, altho it's past the time for me to put her recommendations in play, i'll enjoy reading it and then give it to the young women and men i know. I feel as though i did put a lot of the concepts to work when i was a Federal Women's Program Mngr for Dept of Army. That was the only job other than being a managment trainer that i could possibly have had at D of Army. ;D People who knew anything about me gasped when they heard i was going to work for D of Army. "Really?" Then I told them i was working for the women who worked for D of A and they calmed down.

I did think as i was listening to the two women talk about trying to do "it all" and feeling guilty bcs the kid didn't have on a green shirt on St Patrick's Day, or not speaking up, or sitting on the side of the room in meetings, or not asking questions of authority "Didn't any of you have Mothers who were feminists!?!"

On her blog www.leanin.org there is a terrific statement by Condalizza Rice about speaking up, asking questions.

This may be the time for RENEWING the discussion that we were having in the seventies. Some how some of the next generation have lost the concepts and Sandberg is opening them up again.

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
This world grows crazier by the very minute.  Check this out:

http://jezebel.com/terrifying-public-high-school-speaker-if-you-take-birt-472610594

Steph

« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2013, 06:13:09 AM »
I love Margaret and Helen, but I am on the notify list and have not seen anything for a while. Will check it out onmy bookmarks.

mabel1015j

« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Oh Dear! She can look in my eyes and tell if i'm taking b.c.!?! It would be only sad that she is so dillusional if she wasn't making speeches to others. Unfortunately, some young people will believe her. Who is hiring this woman to talk to other students? Is there no reasonableness by authorities?

MaryPage

« Reply #463 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
I know nothing about this other than some scanty news reports and what my children are telling me is appearing in the viral tech driven world they live in.
This is the skinny as I HEAR it, but do not know.  I am hoping it will hit the main stream news soon.
Someone in the administrative department asked this woman, who is from the world of fundamentalist Christianity, to speak to the student body of this West Virginia High School about abstinence.  She also condemned all types of birth control and told a number of rather wild and way out there untruths about these.
One Senior girl, who has already been accepted at Wellesley College, complained to the Principal (I hear;  I do not know) and was surprised and appalled to find herself castigated and called all sorts of names and threatened with loss of her scholarship to Wellesley and having her reputation ruined.
So this teenager went to THE PRESS.  Hurrah!
And Wellesley says she is JUST the type of young woman they want on their campus.
You must please understand that all of my reporting is without witnesses or interviews or any foundation in fact.  I am rather desperately hoping for more.  You can Google more information.
http://theswellesleyreport.com/2013/04/wellesley-college-stands-behind-incoming-freshman-who-spoke-out-in-west-virginia/

Steph

« Reply #465 on: April 20, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »
Ah, we have a lot of that type of woman in central Florida. They spend their lives harassing the local libraries and the school board about books.. clubs, etc.

MaryPage

« Reply #466 on: April 24, 2013, 07:23:01 AM »
Very depressing story on the front of this morning's Washington Post newspaper.  About food stamps and retirement communities in Florida.  Seems a lot of these old people (not sneering at age here, I am nearly 84) have lost their retirement funds and are hungry, but too proud to sign up for the food stamps they are entitled to.  They don't believe in "government handouts!"

MaryPage

« Reply #467 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:49 AM »
And in the April 22 The New Yorker I see a review of a book titled HONOR, by Elif Shafak.  The title refers to a woman's murder at the hands of her relatives or with their approval.

Steph

« Reply #468 on: April 25, 2013, 05:38:20 AM »
So called Honor killings are horrid.. and all done in the name of religion, which makes me very wary of muslims, who believe this sort of nonsense. Goes back to women as property, not humans.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #469 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »
they even women respond, she is a shrine to the family name and reputation she is almost like a goddess kept safe that she must cooperate and like a goddess remain in her safe nook. So how do you get around that?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #470 on: April 25, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
By saying that if the woman's life is so SACRED and if the men in the family are there to PROTECT her, then how is it that there are many instances of girls being sent to a store by their mothers and set upon by a gang of men and raped and then killed by her own father and brothers because her "fall" and brought dishonor to the family?
How can it be that this obedient daughter of the family, who in no way asked for this terrible event, is KILLED for the family?
Haven't they, the father and brothers, BETRAYED the trust she had in them?
They must be brought to reason this stuff out and see the terrible injustice they do.

MaryPage

« Reply #471 on: April 25, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »
A woman (a female) is not a person in these societies.  She is a piece of property.  And she has all the value of spoiled milk if she has been raped.  She is no longer a pure virgin and she cannot be sold as such to be a bride.  The family (the males) can no longer make any future profit from having kept and fed and clothed her;  albeit she has been a slave in the kitchen and the home with her mother and sisters.  So, for the honor of the besmirched clan, kill her.  That both cleanses the family honor and gets rid of an unprofitable burden.
If only females could be seen as HUMANS, these dreadful deeds might come to a halt.  But people can only see things the way they have been taught from infancy that they are.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #472 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
MaryPage I hear you and I am also aware this is our 20th century western viewpoint that is judging - we cannot change others all we can do is try to understand and learn - this part of the world does not share our values that are not even fully shared in the west - we can rail all we want but till we know the depth and extent of the values that are at the bottom of different behavior we cannot consider alternatives - it is not only in the treatment of women this part of the world lives as if in the 15th century it is in many aspects of life and so to use our values to measure their behavior is not fair to them or to ourselves - to ourselves because is justifies our avoiding the work it takes to understand from their experiences, values and viewpoint the differences.

Why have so many more women today chosen - not those that are forced by those who live where they have a choice and young unmarried women choose to wear the Hijab - a sign of being set apart and treated by the family as the kingpin to their reputation. There is far more here than simply men wanting to keep women as property.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #473 on: April 26, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Wow it appears the covering of the body all for face and hands is how the interpretation is carried out of Mohammad saying men should talk to their wives behind a hijab.

It seems there were two other holy books written after the Qur'an that are more specific to covering the body - it all goes to the basic religious idea of men and women should not use their eyes towards one another.

Wikipedia has a good page on the culture of the hijab   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab

I think it is difficult for us to feel what it is like to live in a country where the religion is the law and leadership/government and so I am thinking it is going to take a huge change that when you look at it Spain is still more of a Church orientated government than most other democracies in Europe but it was the French Revolution that broke that inter-relationship of government and church. Is that where it starts for women to be equals and receive the respect that goes with dignity? It seems the churches east and west keep the heels of men in the culture of early history.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #474 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »
well here is a great link about what we can do - http://womensvoicesforchange.org/

MaryPage

« Reply #475 on: April 26, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
I set a dear friend who is a retired Roman Catholic priest back on his heels recently.  He has the attitude that we must all support Mother Church and be obedient to Her Laws, the laws, obviously, of God, even if we do not agree with them.
I told him there is a huge difference between the Church and the Faith and the Church has let us down.  We gave you our children, I said.  Our trust in you was absolute and we gave up our children to you gladly.  We were so proud if some were chosen to be altar boys.  To serve the Church.  But priests of the Church raped our children at will.  Raped them!  And the Church betrayed our trust.  They hushed it up.  They transferred the priests to other parishes.  They paid money where suits were threatened.  They did not beg forgiveness of our children.  They did not publicly admit their sin against our children.  They have never shown an honorable face of contrition to our children.  I want the nuns to win their battle against the Vatican.  I want women priests and women in the seats of power helping to make the rules.
He was astonished.  Not one single woman had come forward and said these things to him.  I went on for over an hour, assuring him my feelings are not transient and are typical of women everywhere.

mabel1015j

« Reply #476 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
Way to go, MaryPage! I'm sure few people have said that to a priest's face, so maybe they don't know the feelings of women.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #477 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
Go getem MaryPage... The church does not seem to like to admit how many priests are there because it is a good hiding place for their problems.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #478 on: May 01, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »
The way I see it, the only folks who can make the appropriate changes are the Bishops and the Vatican (Pope and the Curia [the government of the church]) because it is going to require a look at the identity and work of a priest in relationship to how he is not expected to live his vows.

We know that sexual abuse is only a means or weapon of expressing power over - when there is powerlessness then there is war or, sexual abuse or, accepting the loss of power and sinking into oblivion with other addictions from drink to drugs to gambling etc.

Paul IV became Pope during Vatican II he took three important commissions off the table and would not allow them to be discussed - Family, Population Control and Birth Control - revamping the Curia -  the Definition of the Identity, Ministry and Life of Priests.

The concept of a priest who is supposed to be consolers of souls, guides for the faithful in all of the most difficult moments in life, act by the mandate of and in the person of Christ the Head in today's world with the media a daily challenge so that priests no longer have the bully pulpit to guide - when they try to empower the poor they are knocked down by the Vatican, who like most governments have their bread buttered by the wealthy.

The recommendations to carry out a priestly life have not changed in hundreds of years - how does a parish priest who must deal with maintaining buildings and staff, the politics of the community like any business leader with a school to run and parishioners asking him for the help that often means going to the leaders in the local government, have time to spend each day in "an environment of contemplative silence, reflecting on their proper vocation which is both gift and ministry: a gift for which to be grateful and a ministry to discover and appreciate."

Or how about as he counsels families dealing with a deformed infant or their child who is terminally ill or workers who are systematically not paid or families torn apart because of violence or communities beset by a drug war or even teaching knowing you are in competition with what is learned on TV and in the streets with no tools other than your voice to make a dent and yet, in response the priest is supposed to "systematically study theology of the sacrament of Orders, as a necessary undertaking."

The priest needs a systematic study of therapy techniques and how to persuade justice and how to assist families with life today, not in a hamlet or as farm peasants. The nuns were cut off during Vatican II and now the Vatican is trying to reel them back where as, the priests had the heavy hand of the Vatican following their every move with those in the Vatican having no experience for their life other than the safe, controlled communality, fraternity and highly political life of Vatican City.

And so to me sexual abuse by priests can be controlled, like any addiction but, it does not solve the problem. There will continue to be clergy who express their anger in their powerless role to make a real difference for those they are supposed to give care, teach, maintain buildings, salaries. and play a political role in the community to get anything accomplished.

On Celibacy this is what they have to contend with --- Remember celibacy in only within the Roman Catholic tradition not any of the other rites like the Coptic, Syrian, Byzantine, and was established as a mandate by Rome in 1054.

Here in modern words is their directive -  "Regarding celibacy, we recall that it ought to be accepted and seen as both gift and charism. It is appraised as such by all of Tradition and is providentially received in the Latin Church as a necessary condition for approaching priesthood. It is seen as a precious gift which the Lord has made to the Church. An appreciation of its biblical, theological and pastoral bases, along the lines drawn up by the recent ecclesial Magisterium ought to be an integral part of study and teaching on the identity and spirituality of priesthood. Those who are called to this charism live it with joy in a spirit of gratitude to the Lord and of total dedication to their brothers and sisters."

MaryPage

« Reply #479 on: May 02, 2013, 06:51:07 AM »
Horrified to hear Kentucky allows 4 year olds to own and shoot guns.  Real guns made in sizes just for children!

I thought it was nationwide that you had to have a LICENSE to own a gun and it was regulated, like owning a license to drive a car or practice law.

But no.  You have to go to hell and back to get licensed to represent a client in court, but are free to kill someone with your darling little gun before you go to kindergarten!

I do so very much look forward to getting off this planet inhabited by my so very confused, lunatic species.