Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 746035 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #3560 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

I tried Kate Morton, but just could not get into it. I have put it aside to try again later.. My TBR pile gets larger by the day up here. A lot of teeny little used book stores and they generally have a lot of older stuff that I want to reread.
John Grisham.. I stopped reading him several years ago, but with all of the compliments on The Litagators.. Hmm, I may give it a shot.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #3561 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
Thank you, Barbara.  That was extremely interesting and informative.

Steph

« Reply #3562 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:08 AM »
I must have picked up, read a few pages and put down six books yesterday. Picky picky picky. I finally found one to start.  Mark Haddon  "A Spot of Bother" I had read his first book and loved it.This one starts a bit odd, but I think it will work..

Babi

« Reply #3563 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
  Good luck with the book, STEPH.  I know how frustrating it can be when one gets into a humor
where nothing attracts or interests.  Such a drag.  :P
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jeriron

« Reply #3564 on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
I find that happens to me often, at least ever since my husband passed away. I just can't get interested. Truthfully I spend most of my time watching movies or being on the computer.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3565 on: August 22, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
Steph.

Like you, can't get into a book this week.  Got 3 from library Saturday. One being Sue Crafton. V for vengence and the other "Half stitched Quilting Club by Wanda Brunstetter. This I have sort of stayed with but not that good.  Went yesterday got a couple of others. Think they all will go back today and will try again.
Seems like I am not finding my older favourite writers any more and some new ones are just awful.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3566 on: August 22, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »
I have finished Marrying Mozart by Stephanie Cowell. I enjoyed it. Cowell appears to do good research for her historical fiction and at the end of the book explains who and what is real and with what she took some liberties. She, unobtrusively, includes info about living conditions, dress, food, scenes of Vienna, etc as she tells the story. The book focuses on the Weber family, a father who is a musician, music copier and organizer of Thursday night music soirees in their home. His wife is a shrew with lots of secrets that she covers with aggression to her husband and their four dgts.

Mozart appears one Thursday and continues to be connected to the family, mostly thru the dgts for the rest of his life, marrying one of them. The narrative comes mostly from Sophie, the youngest dgt who is being interviewed by an English writer intermittenly thruout the book, moving the story along.

If you are familiar w/ Mozart's music, (i'm not particularly, i love to listen to it, but seldom know the name of the piece i'm listening to) you may get an extra bonus by knowing the pieces that are mentioned in the book. I enjoyed it even though i ddn't know the music.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #3567 on: August 22, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Well you just solved that for me Jean - I usually play my CDs in the afternoon and decided because of reading your post to put on the collection of Mozart's Piano Concertos - I've got the Birenbaum collection - great to listen to if you are reading or writing especially poetry since the rhythm and timing carries a written phrase better than most music.

There is a movie about Mozart's sister that I have never seen and saw available on Amazon - we forget she was gifted with her own music - not sure if she is not well known because her music did not compare or because as a women she was dismissed.

Have you heard any of these women composers from the Romantic era

http://www.leonarda.com/composers/comp353b.html

Or how about any of these women that on the last page - page four includes some recent women composers of some well known movies.

http://www.leonarda.com/composers/comp353b.html

Even I have to admit I do not own any CDs with the work of any of these women - yes, some Hildagard Von Bingen and Francesca Caccini  but you have to really be in a certain mood to listen to their music.  hmmm did not pay attention to how little I support women composers.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Babi

« Reply #3568 on: August 23, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
  Clara Schumann is the only name I knew in that last link.  And I knew almost nothing about her.
Sad.  You know, I don't really miss the noise, and the poor communication is annoying but not
insurmountable.  But not being able to hear the music and all the new wonderful voices is a
real source of regret.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3569 on: August 23, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
I loved the first book he wrote, but this second one is not holding my interest. The main character is seriously whiny and I dislike whining.. However I dug deeper and found a science fiction.. ONe of the Alleluia series and it is instantly interesting. Hooray.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3570 on: August 23, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
Is that Daniel Barenboim, that you're referring to, Barb?  He was with the Casals Festival more than once when we lived in Puerto Rico, more for conducting than playing the piano.  One year he was called home in the middle of the Festival because of the illness of his wife, Jacqueline de Pre.  There was later a movie about them and her sister -- Jacqueline and Hilary or  Hilary and Jacqueline.

This week I started Charlotte Rogan's The Lifeboat which had been on hold at the library. Bad timing because I had just finished Michael Ondaatje's  Cat's Table, about a three-week ocean crossing, kind of "meet the passengers" plot.  Likewise The LIfeboat which I would be enjoying more if I hadn't just got off the ship.  Likewise a 21-day "cruise" with chapter headings like Day One,  Day Six, at least 39 passengers, but we know they don't all make it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3571 on: August 23, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
Whoops - yes!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3572 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:03 PM »
The film about Jacqueline du Pre is called 'Hilary and Jackie', starring the truly wonderful actresses Emily Watson (Jackie) and Rachel Griffiths (Hilary).  Celia Imrie (also a very good actress) plays their rather pushy mother.

It's a brilliant film, IMO, and does show that although Jackie was a genius, she was also a very difficult woman, even in her youth - she made terrible demands on Hilary (who was herself a very gifted musician), even insisting on sleeping with her husband at one point.  (According to the film, he didn't want to but Hilary persuaded him just to keep Jackie happy.)

Shortly after the film came out (years ago now) I heard the real Hilary, and also their brother, being interviewed on Woman's Hour.  Hilary didn't sound bitter at all, and they were both very pleased with how Watson and Griffiths had played the parts.  There's a book - I think Hilary and the brother (of course I can't remember his name  ::)) wrote it - Anna has it somewhere, I'll have a look.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3573 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
F
Sleep with my husband, not likely unless you care to be cut off from my life.This excuse of genius for incredibly bad behavior drives me nuts. Does anyone else remember when we read the biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay, a favorite poet of mine. After the discussion was over, I realized that even though I love her poetry, she was a throughly horrible person.. Oh well.

MaryPage

« Reply #3574 on: August 24, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
Again, Steph, you and I are on precisely the same page and you have just said it for both of us.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3575 on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
The private lives of many are so often filled with behavior we could hardly imagine so when it is made public it gets the tabloid treatment or at least a way for us to pull down their shiny star of excellence - it is as if we must pull off Santa Clause's beard - strange -

While we are gossiping how many think there is more to Harry's activities in Nevada - my gut says he is just 'stick you tongue out getting back' when he thinks his brother is being unfairly treated - his high jinx happened right after the Olympics - did you notice the last day he and Catherine were present, very formal and looking very un-animated to the point of looking dour and unhappy talking at times to other dignitaries but not sharing any brother-in-law / sister-in-law time as they did during their earlier attendance -

Prince William was noticeably not present.  What do you want to bet that William was told his unabashed excitement wrapping his arms around his young wife so that even her skin showed below her shirt was not appropriate for a future King and he was given another duty so that Kate and Harry were to represent the crown at the closing ceremonies and Harry decides to embarrass far more than a little of Kate's middle being exposed while taking the attention off his brother's public show of intimacy.

MaryPage

« Reply #3576 on: August 24, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
That is a bit of a stretch for my imagination.

And I DID see Catharine and Harry exchanging some animated conversation during the closing Olympics.

I thought probably that (1) William was unwell or (2) he was on duty with his regiment.  He IS still an active duty Army officer.

Admittedly, Harry had such a glum look for a bit during those closing ceremonies that I wondered if he had just broken up with his girlfriend.  But it could be he had just heard about the Vegas photos?  Or did that come after?  I know we did not hear about them until after, but I cannot recall the difference in dates.

Whatever, I think Harry will be fine in the long run and that William and his Catharine will live happily ever afterwards and reign over the Commonwealth at some point in the future when I am long gone and unaware.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3577 on: August 24, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, I totally agree with you Steph - the adult Jackie came across as a spoilt, demanding child and I felt that her long suffering sister was just too good for her.  At the end of J's life, Barenboim had set up home with another woman in Paris, and it was Hilary who cared for her until she died, even spoon feeding her when she could no longer do anything for herself.

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3578 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
Just could not find the "Jackie and Hilary" book in library. Will ask them to get it.  Sounds interesting.

Steph

« Reply #3580 on: August 25, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Harry,, my opinion is that he is the child of Diana and she came from a wild wild family.. He has an Uncle who can make anyone blush and run away..The Spencers had too much money and power and were thoroughly spoiled. But it is stupid that he trusted someone and whoever that was deserves to go.. If it was a camera n the suite, then that hotel needs to be outed. What he did was dumb, not illegal and not at home..

MaryPage

« Reply #3581 on: August 25, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
I think that what each and every one of us must make ourselves acutely aware of in these times is that cameras can be following us at any time.  In fact, in Great Britain and many other places, including New York City, THEY ARE!  Following us.  Everywhere we go!

And people with tiny little cell phones in their pockets or pocket books can not only take photos, they can take VIDEOS!

Now, I do not go out much anymore, so I do not give the cameras much of a treat.  When I do go out, I do not shoplift, so the monitors are not interested in me.  They may be interested in some of the babes prancing around and about, but my Babe days are long since over and gone.

But seriously, every Tom, Dick and Harry;  Jill, Peggy and Emma, outside of their own front door SHOULD behave as if a camera were on them, for it well may be that one or more is.

I have never been a famous person.  Well, you know that.  But a FAMOUS person should be even MORE aware and on guard.  Harry needs a good talking to.  I think he is a good person, but just not on guard enough.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3582 on: August 25, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »
He's 28! And an indulged, spoiled 28! I think he would be great fun to have as a friend, but, yes, he needs to learn there are cameras EVERYWHERE. Hasn't every "spare heir" been overthetop at times? Margaret certainly had her highs and lows.  ;D

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3583 on: August 25, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
Mary Page I hear you - I get the impression the young folks today are so used to the camera as being a constant companion that as we do not think twice about wearing shoes but still think we have some control when we see something or someone in public they see the camera like another pair of shoes - the camera  is there and some forget about it while others use it to as a personal spotlight -

The young have always acted to outrage the older generation - in the 50s it was how they dressed - in the 60s it was what they were smoking - on and on and now sexual display seems to be the latest with boobs on display and nudity as normal as long hair was in 1960 - Harry may be a Royal but that I think is the only reason the press chomps on these photos - the press knows it can outrage the older generation and cause a titter among the young. Girls are thrilled and guys are envious.

Heck they even admit that Masterpiece Theater received an enormous boost in the number of viewers when Colin Firth walks from his swim with his shirt plastered on his chest that gave a veiled glimpse of what was under that shirt. That version of Pride and Prejudice was 17 years ago - the world has moved on and kids that were 5 years old, too young to stay up to watch Masterpiece in 1995 are now in the early 20s in a whole new world with little privacy. I think they are not careful because as you say cameras are so prolific and to them they are simply like a pair of shoes that get changed out every so often for a newer model.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3584 on: August 25, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Rosemary.

When I get back off Vacation I will ask the Library to find that book and DVD for me.  I just don't want to start buying books anymore. Took me ages to clean off my shelves.  Nice to be able to just return to library.

Steph

« Reply #3585 on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »
Silly, but I have such a great need to be surrounded by books.. They keep me peaceful. I honestly believe I could not survive without lots of books. I use my IPAD and love it, but oh I would so much rather have a good newspaper or two and there are really none any more that are good.

MaryPage

« Reply #3586 on: August 26, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
Me, too, Steph.  Me, too. 

Or to say it properly:  I also.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3587 on: August 26, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
I think I have said this before.  I would rather give up. TV, Computers, Movies etc. before I would give up reading books or going to libraries

I think I got my first library card at age 4 and have never been without a current on.
Now news papers.  I still get them daily but go through them much faster these days.  Magazines I gave up years ago.

Frybabe

« Reply #3588 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
How is this for being surrounded by books, Steph. Found on Nat Geo's photo site.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/myshot/jigsaw-puzzles#/recently-added/287134/1438107/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3589 on: August 26, 2012, 07:26:03 PM »
Today I just felt like sitting and reading.  Picked a book by a author that I had not read before.  Luanne Rice.  "Little Night".  I read the whole book. Enjoyed it.  Will look for her books again

bellemere

« Reply #3590 on: August 26, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
Welll my Book club is getting ready to dissect Anna Karenina in
September.  To my surprise,several have already given me feedbck that they liked it. Ominously, dead silence from the others. I plan a discuaaion based on the themes rather than the plot; Family, Religion, Love, Jealously, Society,  Hypocrosy, Pride, Compassion and forgiveness.   For me on the 4th readign in twenty years, there wwere more discoveries. Now I would love to find a biography of Tostly that is not a dry tome, something compact.  Anybody know of one?
Also just finished a nnofiction work by Laura Hillenbrand: Unbroken, about the prisoners of the Japanese in WW!!.  Took her seven years of research and writing.  she is confined to bed with some immune disorder, and this is an amazing achievment. I would recommend it as a book that apeals to men as well as women. 
There are two books that I have wanted to mention here, that have "haunted" me, keep surfacing in my memory.  One is a rather obscure novel by a Hungarian author of the twenties, Sandor Marosz.  it is called "Embers " and takes place in the waning days of the Hapsburg empire.
The other is Annie Dunne, by an Irish author whose name escapes me.  It is number 2 in a trilogy that takes place in rural Ireland. Has anyone read  either?  What it is it about some books that have a mysteriouls power to stay in your memory long after you are done reading?  do you have one liike that?

Babi

« Reply #3591 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »
 FRYBABE,  I think I was more stunned than anything by that picture.  It was a little like walking
into an area that had been hit by a hurricane.  Where does one begin?   I think I'd turn and walk
away. Maybe come back when they were a bit more accessible.

I'd have to give that question more thought, BELLE.  I do know there are books that made a
lasting impact.  "Cry, the Beloved Country" and "Glass House of Prejudice"  opened  my eyes
in a major way.  "Dune" was probably the book that gave me a lifelong love of good sci-fi/
fantasy.  One that 'haunts' me?  Nothing comes to mind just now, so if there is such a haunt
it must be elsewhere.  :)

Steph

« Reply #3592 on: August 27, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
Oh,, that many books in one place. Just bring in a bed and room service and I could stay forever.
Books that haunt me.. Two obscure ones.. The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan McDougal, because she so perfectly described me in high school It was and is eerie to read for me.. and another...Banner with a strange Device by Arona McHugh..Boston in the period of my growing up, but a world I had never ever heard or seen before. Still stays with me..

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3593 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
JeanneP, I've never read any Luann Rice, but will have to give her a try.  The quote below is about one of her earlier books, co-written with Joseph Monniger, whose Eternal on the Water is a favorite of mine.  The quote was on my Facebook page.

Happy to report that a paperback version of The Letters is due out tomorrow. I wrote it with Luanne Rice, a writer many of you know well. I think the smaller format suits the novel -- a series of letters back and forth -- and I love the new cover. We're excited!

Frybabe

« Reply #3594 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Babi, I believe they made a maze out of the books for a festival. Imagine having enough donated books in one place to make a maze. I went hunting and found are more pix and a better explanation. Money raised went to Oxfam. http://littlelondonobservationist.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/book-maze-at-royal-festival-hall/

and another: http://aboutartanddesign.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/a-books-maze/

bellemere

« Reply #3595 on: August 27, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
Amze of books!  Now that is intriguing.  In fact, what is a better metaphor for ife, than a maze?
Here in Western Mas, eople are ging up to the "Corn Maze" designed by an artist and only viible onde all the stalks are cut.  Each year he chooses a work of art to form the maze.  This yearit is Millet
s [ainting of The Angelus, a tribute to the farming families of the community. the enitre design can only be viewed from the air, of course, and the little local airport cashes in on sort fligts over the field. Hard to explain, Tha newspaper publises a big photo of it from a helicopter. but it really works. 
Now, does th choice of a book that  haunts or "stays  with us" say more aoubt the book or more about us indiviudally? 
My current fiction book is "Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes, a favorite author.  This book is maybe a little too philosoical for me, will let you know.  My current nonfiction book is "Boomereang" by Michael Lewis about the gobal economic crisis.  I lack a real understanding of the world of high finance, but he makes it at least readable.  Shows how, in each country's financial crisis - Breece, Ireland, etc. the national character is reflected by the acitons of the leaders.  that is amusing, but maybe takes the stereotype too far.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3596 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Oh,, that many books in one place. Just bring in a bed and room service and I could stay forever.
Books that haunt me.. Two obscure ones.. The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan McDougal, because she so perfectly described me in high school It was and is eerie to read for me.. and another...Banner with a strange Device by Arona McHugh..Boston in the period of my growing up, but a world I had never ever heard or seen before. Still stays with me..
Banner with a strange Device by Arona McHugh, geez, Steph.  I did not think there was another person who had read Arona McHugh, and "Banner".  I stil have that book.  Guess I need to re-read it now that you've mentioned it.  Are we a club of two?  Didn't McHugh write another not too long after?  While we have touched on this subject, (books that we thought no one else had read) did you ever read "Five Smooth Stones"?  I loved that book, still have it too.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #3597 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
The Dollmaker by Harriet Arnow and Prince ofTides by Pat Conroy are twobooks that stay w/ me. The Dollmaker is the story of an Appalachian woman before and during WWII, when her family moves to a northern city for work. The writing is superb and the dialect writing lets the reader "hear" it. Jane Fonda produced a tv show and played the lead in the 80s. I thought it was great nd their are scenes in the book that stay w/ me.

Prince of Tides is also superbly written and has some very haunting scenes. It's the story of a family's growing up and the impact of their behaviors on each other.  It's another one of those South Carolina based stories and typically Pat Conroy.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #3598 on: August 28, 2012, 08:11:04 AM »
Yes, there was a second book about the same people by Arona McHugh.. I have both in paperback, falling apart and taped together. I also loved The Dollmaker for the life described was so very foreign to me.
I am reading Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan..It is breathtaking and hardto read. The teenage daughter has simply vanished.. He is good at making you look at a situation that is so heartbreaking and watch the people carry on..

Babi

« Reply #3599 on: August 28, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »
 I loved that view in the second link, FRYBABE, looking down on the maze. Surprisingly lovely
in it's curved blend on colors on tha beautiful floor.  Whoever designed that did a great job.

Actually, TOME, I've read both of those books, long time ago. I don't remember much about
"Banner..", but "Five Smooth Stones" was disturbing. Beautifully written, tho'.