Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 553432 times)

Gumtree

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Tonight we watched the old David Lean film A Passage to India and found it to be absolutely absorbing. Alec Guiness and Dame Peggy Ashcroft were at the height of their powers, Judy Davis just beginning and Edward Fox already the consummate actor. The Indian actors Victor Bannerjee and Saeed Jaffrey are better known today. I think I'll have to read the book again !
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
Gum, I just now added Passage to India to my Netflix queue, and would you believe, moved it up to the #1 position.  I'm just in the mood for something like that.

One of these days Netflix will figure out how to put captions or subtitles on their downloaded English language films, but the mood should keep for a week.  Passage has just knocked Desperate Housewives down a notch.

The other night I watched Lakeview Terrace.   Not particularly memorable -- a homeowner, a cop, disapproves of his new neighbors' interacial marriage, and attempts to drive them away.  Three stars.

Gumtree

« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »
Pedln: I do hope you really enjoy Passage - I did.   The No 1 spot in my queue (not Netflix - we don't have them here)  is Gran Torino which we missed at the movies - but there's still a big demand for it so I just keep waiting...

Next one for us is Girl With the Pearl Earring - maybe over the coming weekend...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »

Coming Soon...KIM by Kipling ~ our January Book Club Online.
Let us know you'll be joining us in our discussion.

Babi

« Reply #404 on: December 05, 2009, 08:42:19 AM »
 Alec Guinness is one of the best, isn't he?   Being an old movie, tho',
I wonder, GUM, did you notice if it had closed captioning? I'd like to see
the movie, but it is so frustrating to have one arrive..yay!!...and then
discover I can't follow the story for lack of the CC.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Gumtree

« Reply #405 on: December 05, 2009, 10:37:47 AM »
I'm sorry Babi I didn't notice about the closed captioning - I've already sent it back so can't check either. The movie was made in 1984. Of course, in any case the Netflix stock would be different from Aussie stock.

marjifay

« Reply #406 on: December 05, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
I've never forgotten the film Passage to India.  Wonderful acting.

Turner Classics Movie channel will be showing RANDOM HAVEST soon with Greer Garson and Ronald Coleman.  Have never seen it.  The book sounds interesting too, and I've put it on my hold list at the library. 

Have been listening to the old Jack Benny radio programs on my car's XM Satellite Radio channels, and he often had Ronald Coleman as a guest.  He and Benny were wonderful and very funny together.  By the way, I'll never be without XM radio -- wonderful when you're driving throught an area where all you can get is religious and country music broadcasts!
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #407 on: December 05, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
Babi, Passage has CC and subtitles both.  If it's on my queue, it has to have it.

I love to haunt the DVD bargain boxes, and yesterday at Sam's I found a goodie with four Turner Classic Movies, including Casablanca.  I hadn't seen it in years.  So this morning I thought I'd just check and make sure this bargain disc was of decent quality, with subtitles, etc. Well, I got so caught up in it that I watched the whole thing, marvelling at what a good film, what a great picture it was -- even in b & w, even without the special effects so common in today's movies.  The acting and staging and script can't be beat.  No wonder it's one of the top classics.

Gumtree

« Reply #408 on: December 06, 2009, 01:11:11 AM »
Ah Pedln - I agree with all you say about Casablanca -we have a copy of it and watched it only a month or so ago. Brilliant - can't get over what a good actor Paul Henreid was and also how Claude Rains carried his comic part so well.

Babi

« Reply #409 on: December 06, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
 Thanks, GUM. Unfortunately, I find that most of the BBC films do not
have closed captioning. It's a pity, since there are so many British films
I would love to see. Over here, CC has been added to most of the old
movies that are offered.
  Oh, PEDLN says 'Passage' does have CC. Great! Thanks, P.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #410 on: December 19, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
This has been a banner week for movies for me.  I did watch Passage to India -- wonderful.  Glorious scenery and shots, good acting. Definitly a classic to keep.

Tonight I just finished watching Julie and Julia.  Wonderful.  Especially Meryl Streep in her role as Julia Child.  I'll be very surpised if she does not get an award for her performance.  I'd love to see her in a whole movie just about Julia Child.  Though I must say, I think the critics have been a bit harsh with Julie Powell, so many accusing her of whining, etc.  I did not feel that way, although at times I felt her appearance to be an intrusion.  But that was just because Meryl STreep was so good.

Golden Globe nominees are out.  Have you seen any of these?
Golden Globe nominees

Babi

« Reply #411 on: December 20, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
 Oh, my. Now I've got a list of movies to enter on my Netflix queue.
I've got books to finish.  I've got presents to wrap. I must go grocery
shopping.  Thank God today at least is clear and sunny!  Where are my
track shoes?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #412 on: December 20, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »
It's clear and sunny here too, but we got almost 2 feet of snow yesterday and the residential streets aren't plowed yet.  Track shoes will be useless.

marjifay

« Reply #413 on: December 21, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
I want to see Meryl Streep in It's Complicated, the new movie with Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin as well as Mary Kay Place who I loved in the 1970s TV series, Mary Hartman--Mary Hartman.  Meryl Streep said she was surprised to still be working at age 60, but I'm not as she's such a wonderful actress.  I really get tired of seeing all those old male geezers in movies with young dippy "actresses."  Sad that there are few good roles these days for mature female actresses.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #414 on: December 21, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
I agree. But the fact that there are some really good ones around inspires producers to make movies for them.

My one complaint about Meryl Streep was that she was always suffering in all her movies. A new one would come out and I'd think "I know it will be great, but can I stand to see her suffer again?"

I'm so glad she has gotten away from that. I LOVED her in that ABBA musical (Mama Mia?)!! And I can't wait to see her as Julia child.

Babi

« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2009, 08:12:53 AM »
 I agree, JOANK.  I've enjoyed seeing Meryl Streep in the movies she
has been doing lately.  Much more fun!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: December 27, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
Wow I am so glad to see those Golden Globe nominees, I just saw Up in the Air yesterday along with It's Complicated, which I thought was OK, funny, fun, etc, but Up in the Air I  thought was really something, I'm glad to see it leading the pack.

Also I see Grey Gardens nominated as Best Mini Series,  with Drew Barrymore AND Jessica Lang as the Beales both nominated for acting.

It's also fun to see Meryl Streep nominated twice against herself, that should surely shorten the odds. :)
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Gumtree

« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »
Tonight I watched the Al Pacino film 'Looking for Richard' Hadn't seen it since it was showing in the movies and have been wanting to see it again specially since we read and discussed Richard III with Deems et al. I was not disappointed - brilliant. Many of the topics we discussed were raised in Pacino's film and made it seem like it was only yesterday that we were talking about and trying to nut out those self same issues.

JimNT

« Reply #418 on: December 28, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »
In surfing my premium channels, I ran across the subject movie and gave it a try.  It certainly doesn't rate among the best I've ever viewed but it is interesting by virtue of an unusual quality that, frankly, didn't occur to me until the latter portion of the film.  It stars Patrick Stewart and Kate Winslet.  I would love to hear what others have to say about it.

JimNT

« Reply #419 on: December 28, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
This movie, while not an award winning film, is a "must see", particularly for those who enjoy Anthony Hopkins.  Don't let the title mislead you as it did me.  It's all about a geezer achieving his dream.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »
I saw "The Fastest Indian" and enjoyed it a lot. The extra about the making of the movie was fun, too- all the small parts were acted by people in this small New Zealand town.

mrssherlock

« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »
Loved Fastest Indian.  It truly is a feel good movie about a dream and the life it inspires.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

salan

« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
JimNT--I watched "The Fastest Indian" a couple of years ago.  I loved it.  Anthony Hopkins is worth watching in anything, but I loved the sense of whimsey in this movie.  I tried to watch "Little Children", but couldn't get into it.  Maybe it was the mood I was in, but I did not finish it.
Sally

JimNT

« Reply #423 on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Sally:  Like the title, Little Children is a film about immature adults.  As one of many examples, the Prom King agrees to meet his lover (Kate Winslet) but is distracted by his love for skateboarding.  The entire movie centers around immature acts.  Hilarious but also thoughtful.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #424 on: December 30, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
Welcome JimNT.  I'm glad you and so many others recommend
the World's  Fastest Indian, with Anthony Hopkins.  Ihope no one is waiting for it from Netflix.  I've had it almost a month, but have not had a chance to see it, what with the holidays and travel and all.

I'll probably wait a bit on Little Children, but definitely want to see It's
Complicated.  Those of you who have seen both the recent Streep films, which one do you think is the best?

Babi

« Reply #425 on: December 31, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
 Actually, I had a very mixed reaction to "Mama Mia".  Much as I enjoy
Meryl Streep, the musical didn't work for me.  I used to like them when
they were so popular back in the 40's and 50's.  But now this one seemed so contrived and, of course, wholly unreal.

mrssherlock

« Reply #426 on: December 31, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
Babi:  My sentiments exactly.  Since ABBA as a group was contrived, like the Monkees, and did not grow out of the association of the performers, it has lost much of its sparkle for me.  When one thinks of the emotional intensity  of musicals like Les Miz, Rent, Phantom, Chorus Line, etc, Mama Mia seems pretty feeble to me.  Curious about Streep;  my daughter can't stand her.  She is not someone whose preformances I seek out, but I've always enjoyed watching her. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #427 on: January 02, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
  Streep is simply an excellent actress.  Her movies are not always ones
that I particularly enjoy seeing, but I know her own performance will be
'spot on'.   I never watched "Sophie's Choice", for instance, despite the
rave reviews, simply because what I had heard about the story sounded
depressing to me.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #428 on: January 02, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
I just finished watching World's Fastest Indian, and I certainly agree with Jim -- it's a "must-see."  It's definitely a "feel-good" show, but there is so much going on that it is not sappy, just very engrossing.  Was Anthony Hopkins nominated for anythng for that film?  I didn't realize it was based on real events.  Towards the end of the film I kept thinking that one character looked quite familiar.  Well, of course, it was Christopher Lawford (playing the part of Jim), and he looks much like his father, Peter.

JimNT

« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »
Pedlin:  Thanks for clueing me in re Christopher Lawford.  I missed that entirely though I'm sure he was listed in the credits.  In fact, I didn't know that Peter has a son in films.

mrssherlock

« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
Jackie

marjifay

« Reply #431 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »
My son and I are going to see Avatar today.  Has anyone seen it (or plan to see it, LOL)  We are curious because there's been so much interesting hype about it.  We're driving to a town near here (Camarillo, CA) that has a great Mexican restaurant.  So if we walk out on the movie, all will not be lost.

Marj

Frybabe

« Reply #432 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
Marjifay, I haven't seen the movie but my sister has as well as several of my co-workers. They all say it is great. Apparently you can watch it with or without the 3-D glasses.

marjifay

« Reply #433 on: January 04, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »
Thanks, Frybabe.  Good to know that someone liked it that much.  I'd heard that you didn't need 3d glasses (as back in the 1950s 60s.) We're going to see it at their IMAX theater.  Will post my comments on it later.

Marge

CallieOK

« Reply #434 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »

On HBO this weekend, I watched "The Soloist" with Jamie Foxx, which is a true story based on a book by the...journalist portrayed in the movie by Robert Downey, Jr.  (can't remember his name - Steve Lang, maybe?).   Anyway - it's about a reporter from the L. A. Times who becomes involved with a schizophrenic street musician.  Although I don't care to read the book (too intense a story), the movie was very good.

Right after that, on PBS, I watched the classic Bette Davis movie "Now Voyager".  Don't think I'd ever seen it straight through from start to finish.  "Soapy" but a good antidote to "Soloist".  

Babi, the absolute lack of intensity and reality is why I am such a fan of musicals - both old and new.  I don't care to be "tied in knots" after I've seen ones like Les Miz and The Phantom - although I did like Chorus Line.

Tomereader1

« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
How could you possibly be "tied in knots" after The Phantom?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JimNT

« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
Steve Lopez is the journalist in The Solist.  I read the book and saw the movie and enjoyed them both.  Robert Downey Jr. is one of my favorites as is Jamie Foxx and the movie is remarkedly close to the book.

JimNT

« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2010, 05:53:55 PM »
I saw the Phantom some years ago at the National Theater in Washington, D. C.  Great show, but I, too, wonder why you were "tied in knots."  I suppose that each of us are affected differently.  I knew a girl that cried throughout commencement exercises.

CallieOK

« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »
Perhaps "tied in knots" wasn't the best description I could have used.  That's as close as I can come to explaining the inner feeling I get from a movie or stage production in which the main theme is tragic and portrayed in a very dramatic fashion.  I leave the theater feeling very tense.  "Miss Saigon" is another one that affected me that way.

Jim,  I've been known to shed a tear at similar events.
After having taken her to see "The Nutcracker" since she was 2, I could barely see through the tears as my beloved 12-year-old granddaughter danced in it for the first time, even though it was a dance studio production and she was just a blossom in Waltz of the Flowers. After four years in various roles, she now dances The Dewdrop Fairy role and I only get a little misty-eyed.  :)

Just noticed your post about "The Soloist" as I was posting.  I almost had the journalist's name right!!  I thought Jamie Foxx did a fantastic job with his role.

mrssherlock

« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
Thanks for the update about "The Soloist".  I heard an  interview with the author on NPR and Robert Downey, Jr, and Jamie Foxx are always worth watching.  It will be recorded tomorrow.  there's a companion pice, "The Making of the Soloist" coming on Wednesday on HBO AM so it's being recorded too.  I always enjoy those "Making of . . ." programs.
Jackie