Author Topic: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler ~ May Book Club Online - Pre-Discussion  (Read 17423 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler ~ May Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

Noah's Compass ~  May Book Club Online
You are invited to join us on May 1.

Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass was SeniorLearn's first  choice for  our May Book Club Online discussion.  We do hope you will join us in what should be a meaningful, worthwhile experience.  Tyler's protagonist, Liam Pennywell, tells his young grandson that Noah wasn't going anywhere in the Ark.  "He was just trying to stay afloat. He was just bobbing up and down, so he didn't need a compass, or a rudder, or a sextant."

Liam Pennywell  is troubled by his inability to remember anything about the first night that he moved into his new, spare condominium,  after being laid off at 61 from a job he never liked. All he knows when he wakes up the next day in the hospital is that his head is sore and bandaged.  For Liam, the most distressing part of his memory loss was that it felt like he was losing control.

And yet this novel is described as "gently humorous."  Really.

We all know a Liam, the novel suggests.   In fact, there may be a little of Liam in each of us. Just trying to stay afloat.  Please plan to join us as we float along together.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Pedln

Hi Jude, thanks for your comments about The Wire. I'm certainly going to give it a chance. (And creator David Simon now has another HBO show up and running -- Treme, set in New Orleans.  "Bunk" from The Wire also plays a part in this.)  

I hope you'll think about joining us when we discuss Noah's Compass next month.  I finally got the book from the library and so far, so good.  I've come across more than one "I can relate to that" moments.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
Oh, Jude, I hope you will join.  There is so much here for us to talk about.  I gave up on my Library - the County owns 30 copies in all the branches and still I am down from 95th to 56th place on the hold list.  I got a good deal though - ordered one of   Amazon's USED copies for only $10.  plus a few dollars shipping and it came right away.

We've been out of town for grandson's third birthday - my copy of Noah's Compass was waiting for me when I got in.  Immediately sat down and read the first chapter.  As you say, Pedln, this chapter is full of "I can relate to moments."  And then a few, please God, don't let me turn into  Liam Pennywell moments too.  I think we're going to have some rich conversation with this one.  Anne Tyler was writing this book for "our set," I think.  We are her targeted audience.

I'm going to have to button my lip - or I'll start talking about the book two weeks early.  Just want to say, if you are concerned about the reviews, don't be.  This is  Anne Tyler and you/we are going to enjoy it, I can tell already.

And if you are still not convinced, come in for the discussion - this is that kind of book - a real conversation-starter.

EvelynMC

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
I'll be joining you in May.  Our library has a Large Print copy and I am  #1 on the wait list.  It is due in April 26, so I will be getting it just before we start. 

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »
Evelyn!  That's great!  How did you get hold of the book so fast!  I'm now #52 on the hold list.  I finally bought a copy - have read the first chapter, and I'm hooked!  Welcome!  This is going to be an very interrrreting discussion, I can tell!

salan

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »
I've read the first three chapters.  My library book is due on the 26th, and I probably won't get it again until the end of the discussion.  So, I am having to read it ahead of time and take notes.  I hope I can remember all the important parts--maybe with my notes I will.
Sally

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »
I really like this book...Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

CallieOK

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »
I have just finished reading "Noah's Compass".  All of the regular library copies were loaned but I found it on the shelf in the Large Print section of my branch a few days ago!!!!

Now I'm smiling at the impression some of you have about the story.  That's all I'm going to say - but I'll be back for the discussion.  :)

Mippy

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 07:08:27 AM »
Good morning!
Now I'm waiting for my copy to arrive!   I bought it from an Amazon vendor, so it might take a week to get here.
It was not a bargain, however, at $11 plus $4 shipping.   It's too bad we can't stick to paperbacks for these discussions, as that's a lot to pay for a 300 page book.   But I'm lucky to be able to buy it.
I hope everyone else can get a library copy, if that's too much to pay.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »
Callie, happy to hear that you are going to join us - though I picture you as the Chessie cat, smiling at us as we begin to read the book.  Just having read the first chapter, I can see where there is much room for discussion here, do you agree?   Welcome!

Hey, Mippy - you got a bargain! Sally, good idea on taking some notes from the Library copy.  You were lucky to get that!

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:10 AM »
Library copies??  I usually buy my books as I write in them.  However I got the Book Thief from my library and had to apologize to them because I forgot and wrote in it :-[  Luckily they forgave me ;D and I didn't have to pay!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
I am going to say that I did not want to put this book down...I am so glad to see that we have found another good book to read and discuss.  I have not been able to find much that I wanted to read lately...How ever this one grabbed me right off....Joan Grimes.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
How far have you read, Joan?  I'm glad you are enjoying it!
Kidsal, the librarian was probably a book lover - AND a reader, who understood that urge to mark a book.  I have found these neat little stickers that mark a passage, that you can write on and that pull off very easily when you no longer need them.  How does that sound to you?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
Sally, you and Alf.  I think she’s another one who writes in books.  I never do, even in my own books – guess it must be the librarian in me. (Partly because I don't like using pencils, only pens.) But I don’t mind reading what others have written.     :o

Callie, are you intimating that some of us have the wrong impression of this book?  Interesting. I am glad to see that so many people are liking it.  I’m not very far into it, but am liking it very much.  From what I had read about it earlier I had thought I wouldn’t like it.

JoanP, your sticky note idea sounds good.  Then you have little clue tabs to get you back to whatever it is you’re looking for.  Someday every book is going to available in several different formats and that will be wonderful for book discussions.  Because then you can keyword search  to find whatever passage you want to reread or discuss.

CallieOK

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
Pedln - no "right" or "wrong" - just different. I always seem to "see" things with a different slant than others. I suspect I will be able to look at it in a much different light as the discussion begins.

JoanP,  I have been told that my facial expression occasionally looks like "the cat that ate the canary".  I, of course, have no idea what that means.   ::)   :D

Octavia

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2010, 02:29:57 AM »
I'd like to join in, if my book arrives in time. There isn't a copy in Rocky, but one in our seaside neighbour Yeppoon. I asked if I could put a hold on a book in another town, and was told "certainly".
It's nice to finally see an advantage in the merger of all these towns into one giant Rockhampton Regional Council. Touted as the best thing since sliced bread, it just seems that we end up paying more for everything.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

EvelynMC

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
The library just called.  The large print version was returned and I will pick it up on Tuesday.  I'm looking forward to reading it and joining you in this discussion.

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
Octavia - From the antipodes?  Australia, am I right?  It is wonderful that you are able to get your hands on Anne Tyler's latest book!  And wonderful that you will be joining us!  Welcome!

Evelyn, that was fast!

retired

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »
Hi All:
I will join the group for discussion of Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler if my Library reservation comes through for me at least in early May  .
I joined this group for discussion of her earlier book "Digging to America. Enjoyed her writing and continued to read some of her other novels.

If not, I will read your postings and hopefully come aboard when I can.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
I have finished "Noah's Compass".  I agree with Callie. I think you are all going to be surprised at this book. There is lots there to discuss.  Won't say anymore until the discussion starts.
Joan Grimes

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »
Hello there, "retired" - happy to hear that you will be joining us in May...with or without the book. Welcome!

JoanG, I'm going to admit here that I am nearly as interested in your comments regarding life after retirement as I am in the book.  This is the sort of book that's going to spark a lively conversation, I think.

Octavia

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
Yes Joan, a antipodean(try saying that after a glass of wine) from the Eastern side. Or should it be "an antipodean"?
I spend so much time looking up odd things on the net. I'm sure I knew them once. Sigh. After my fifties I started being uncertain about spellings too, and spelling was my forte.
I'm hoping to get this book at the right time. I read a few pages on the internet as it was a "see inside" book.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

winsummm

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 02:19:01 AM »
hi

I looked at the list. I didn't realize they were by ann tyler since I forget who wrote what more often than not. I do remember titles though and some of those are familiar especially DIGGING TO AMERICA which was wonderful. so I guess I'll do this one too if I can get it on Kindle. at least the sample.

claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 02:32:28 AM »
well Amazon kindle has a wonderful review of tyler here and in general telling me what to watch for and it is RICH. so I guess it is worth the ten dollar fee to kindleize it. She is a wonderful writer.

claire
thimk

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »
Octavia, re antipodean – I’m just eating breakfast, and find I have to practice that word. I’m glad you’re going to be with us, and Evelyn and Retire and Claire.  We’ve got a really great group here and I’m looking forward to this discussion.

Claire, who is it who decides what words can be “legitimized,” have a place in the dictionary?  Like “googling.”  “kindleize” will probably find its way there soon.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
I found a large print copy of this book sitting in my library, so I will join you, if I may.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
Oh, Ella, that would be wonderful.  At this point, I have to say that I am as interested in Anne Tyler's story as I am in your reactions to Liam Pennywell's attitude towards life after retirement.

And Claire, glad to learn that you've "kindlerized" the book.  Still waiting to hear what you thought of Book Thief.

Welcome! Welcome! ~  to both of you!

winsummm

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
didn't read book thief. I thimk I looked at the reviews and they didn't grab me.  but ann tyler can do no wrong.  i don't eeven know who wrote book thief.  Art Thief was a good read a while ago. I have it as one of my first kindle books.  the new ones usually cost ten dollars. I look for old books by current authors because they are less..sometimes they are better too.
claire
thimk

salan

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2010, 04:52:56 PM »
I just finished Noah's Compass.  I have a library copy and it's due tomorrow.  I took notes and am anxious to see what others thought of this book and the characters.
Sally

winsummm

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
hey sally. I just acquired it on my Kindle for ten bucks and it is excellent. I'm into chapter three already. we mustn't discuss it though except to say that Tyler understands aging.  I hate book discussions where you have to do it in bits and pieces.  this is wonderful and I want to do it all NOW.
claire
thimk

Octavia

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2010, 06:13:22 PM »
I have to pick my book up today. I'm so intrigued by the hints that have been given out here.
I would have liked the book to arrive next week, but as it seems to be the only one, I'll take it gladly and make copious notes.
I've been laughing with my sister about our note taking. I find puzzling little jottings everywhere, and have no idea what they mean. I wrote down 'accidents happen'. Stared at it for days. It was so self evident I couldn't believe I'd written it down.
Days later it hit me out of the blue, as these things do. It was a movie title featuring Geena Davis :).

salan

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »
Octavia, I had to smile at your "note taking".  I, too, find notes jotted down on various materials and in random places.  I try to be more organized about it; but since I read in various places; I tend to pick up what is handy and jot a note down on it.  Usually my notes make sense, but occassionally I come across one that puzzles me. 

I, too, had to read the book early since it had to be returned to the library.  I usually try to buy my own copy; but don't want to buy/pay for hard backs that I am not sure I want to keep.
Sally

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »
Ella, you'll be with us!!  Wonderful.

Octavia -- re: Geena Davis -- was she in Accidental Tourist?

Sally and Octavia, my library copy is due the first of May, so I'm in your boat.  When I started it I thought I'd take notes on each chapter, but that hasn't happened   >:(  .   I check the online catalog every day, hoping that one of the copies is now just sitting on the shelf, not on reserve, so I can renew my copy.

Octavia

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
No Pedlin, I think that was Kathleen Turner?
Even though I've only read 50 pages, this book shows one shouldn't make assumptions :).
Also, one should look where one's going. I rolled my foot over the edge of the library path, looking at their ferns. Now I'm hobbling around, with a stick :-[.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08:46 PM »
JoanP, Pedln ,  have just learned that my copy of the book is on its way, and I could not be happier.
I've ben a fan of Tyler's ever since I happened on her first novel If Morning Ever Comes.  From then on I read everything Tyler wrote with undiluted pleasure, because all her books are about the here and now of the particular era; the concerns of the protagonists could be our own.

I was especially touched by Tyler's 1982 novel Dinner at the Heartsick Restaurant   and anxious to share.  At the time I was a volunteer reader at a local radio station that offered special programming for the hearing-impaired, a public service so to speak,  to keep them up to date on anything and everything that had to do with their lives.   International, national and local news were covered.
But I  thought the offerings should be extended to include fiction, and so we tried it.  The response to my reading of Dinner at the Homewik Restaurant was overwhelming.

Several Tyler novels were made into movies, the first   (I believe) was The Accidental Tourist with William Hurt.  Two women were in the protagonist's life:  the wife, Kathleen Turner, and her successor Geena Davis.

Breathing Lessons became a Pulitzer Prize winner; Joanne Woodward and James Garner starred in the movie.  Truly wonderful IMHO
The actress Blythe Danner starred in two movies made from Tyler novels :
Saint Naybe and Back When We Were Grownups  ----  (which also featured Fay Dunnaway - if emory serves).

Hope the book gets here soon ....

ALF43

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »
yep that would be me Pedln.  I write in my books that we discuss here.  I justify it by writing in pencil, erasing my marks afterwards and giving the book for another to enjoy.  Everyone I know that I give books to understand that little idiosyncrasy.
I will be joining you with my marks and all in May.  I have finished the book.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
Traude and Alf,  I'm so glad you're going to join with us for this discussion.

Traude, I can understand  your reading of Dinner at Homesick Restaurant being a hit most listeners.   I don't listen to the radio that much any more, but there was a time when NPR would read works of fiction, for about 1/2 hour in the early evening.  I was always glad when it coincided with having to drive the kids somewhere, and they were always happy to listen. too.

Mippy

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
The book is quite good, too good to put down! 
It arrived late Friday, and despite my plan to wait, I've already read most of it.   But mums the word until we start in May!   
Looking forward to the discussion!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

winsummm

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
Hi Traude long time. I look forward to your insights.  There are plenty of ideas  in this book on which to dwell, pontificate  and THIMK.  It is interesting to share them.
huggles, Claire
thimk

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »
I agree, Claire, there is much to share and think about here (not too sure about pontificating though  ;D)  Glad you got your books, Mippy, Traudee.  

I've been thinking about Tyler's male protagonists in her other novels.  Do any of them stand out in your memory?  From the The Accidental Tourist?  Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant?  Without mentioning Liam Pennywell, I'd love to hear what you remember about her men.

If Morning Ever Comes (1964)
The Tin Can Tree (1965)
A Slipping-Down Life (1970)
The Clock Winder (1972)
Celestial Navigation (1974)
Searching for Caleb (1975)
Earthly Possessions (1977)
Morgan's Passing (1980)
Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (1982)
The Accidental Tourist (1985)
Breathing Lessons (1988)
Saint Maybe (1991)
Ladder of Years (1995)
A Patchwork Planet (1998)
Back When We Were Grownups (2001)
The Amateur Marriage (2004)
Digging to America (2006)
Noah's Compass (January 2010)

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
Hello,Claire,  here's a BIG, much delayed wave  together with apologies for my silence.  Time is running away from me ever faster leaving me behind with so many things left undone ...

JoanP,   yes, several characters  of Tyler's creation jump out at me,  Morgan Gowan of Morgan's Passing; Ira and Maggie in Breathing Lessons;   and Della from Ladder of Years - just to name a few.  What is remarkable and outright uncanny is Tyler's infallible knack to hit the perfect contemporary note for the time of publication of a book,  and that is saying a lot given the fact that she's been writing since 1964 and there have been lots of societal changes since.

Except for Digging to America,  which, as I see it,  is concerned primarily with identity, immigration and acclimatization to a new and different culture, all of Tyler's novels are about family, cohesion,  or separation and reconciliation -  where possible.

I love the new book and am reading as fast as I can; it would be unconscionable to hang on to it when so many  people are waitingn for it.  Am truly looking forward to the discussion.    :D