Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556600 times)

CallieOK

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1720 on: June 20, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Your comments on The Killing remind me of "Who Shot J.R.?" on "Dallas".  They got a lot of mileage with that cliff hanger!!

MaryPage

« Reply #1721 on: June 20, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
But Callie, in this case THERE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE a carry over cliff hanger.  You see, several years ago the Danish television came up with a new and different format for a murder mystery crime show.  That is to say, they made a 20 hour series to last for exactly 20 weeks;  each hour representing one day in the life of the detective partnership (one male, one female, not related in any other way) while they were trying to solve the crime:  i.e. figure out and prove who done it.  The series was way over the top popular, and made its way with subtitles and/or dubbing into every other European country, including Great Britain.  Wildly popular.  Rave notices.

So natch the Americans wanted it, but their purchase allowed for them to do their own thing with it.  So they wrote it into 13 hours instead of 20 and changed the location from Denmark to Seattle (actually filmed in Vancouver) and Americanized some of the names, etc.  But bottom line, they were to wrap it up in those 13 episodes.  And the series turned out to be excellent and extremely well acted.  The female detective, in particular, is outstanding.  Expect awards and prizes and great acclaim for Mireille Enos.

So came the night of episode 13, Day 13.  We were all on the edge of our seats.  And they in effect told us to hang on, they were going to continue this story over into a second season next year!

Everyone is quite seriously furious.  The Danes are now into their Season Three, but each year (season) ends THAT crime story and reveals who done it.  That is satisfactory.  This is not.

jeriron

« Reply #1722 on: June 20, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
The article in TV Guide said that there will be a new murder in the second season. So I figure they will finish this one off near the beginning.

This was also said in the article.

We never said, "Who killed Rosie Larsen?  You will definitively find that out at the end of episode 13, so don't worry about it. We never promised that.

CallieOK

« Reply #1723 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
MaryPage, I understood that.  It just reminded me of "Dallas" because of all the talk during the interim for that show's seasons.  (sometimes my mind works in myterious ways  ;D)
If the viewers were told there would be a solution and/or were familiar with the Danish version - then they are quite right to be furious.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1724 on: June 20, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »
I haven't seen last night's performance, but have taped it.  Too sleepy then.

But, am a vbit confused after reading comments here and then reading this from  the NY Times .

How Councilman Darren Richmond (Billy Campbell), of Connecticut and Dartmouth, became the kind of widower for whom scotch was an inadequate solace, is left entirely to speculation. Instead we are asked to buy wholesale the notion that as Richmond maintained an impeccable public image, he was threatening (and ultimately drowning) young prostitutes who vaguely resembled his wife. Politicians manage secret lives all the time, as the news and “The Good Wife” remind us. But it is fair to say that it is one thing to be concealing a mistress in Argentina and it is quite another to be running a campaign while simultaneously conducting an alternative life as Jack the Ripper.

(As a matter of due process it should be said that the series satisfies conspiracy theorists with the .0009 percent chance that Richmond is actually not guilty. The sane among us will run, as they say, with the facts on the ground.)

Link to full article

Who killed Rosie

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1725 on: June 21, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
Callie, it reminded me of Dallas too - I know it's not the same situation, but I still have a laugh thinking about the "it was all a dream" sequence after they had renegotiated Bobby's fee.  Dallas was one of my guilty pleasures.  I think I might have to buy it on DVD to cheer myself up.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1726 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
 I went to that link, MARYPAGE, and expressed my opinion.  I was informed that server
address could not be found. Either my internet is messing up again...which happens often
enough... or they've already gotten the message and don't care to hear any more.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #1727 on: June 21, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
I think they did, BABI;  I think they did get the message and do not want to hear any more.  I'll bet someone is getting fired.  To say they did not promise us a solution on Day Thirteen is just plain not true.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1728 on: June 22, 2011, 12:27:03 AM »
I too don't like what the director/writers are doing with the characters and the cliff-hanger ending to season 1 of THE KILLING. Some of the characters are morphing into other personalities, it seems just to add tension or red herrings. I feel like the audience is being toyed with. If it were a regular hour-long "formula" detective show, I'd expect that someone out of the blue really "did it" and wouldn't be upset about it but this show promised character development.

MaryPage

« Reply #1729 on: June 22, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »
I am in agreement with everything you have said, Marcie.

MaryPage

« Reply #1730 on: June 25, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
Just read in The Washington Post that Mireille Enos who played Sarah Linden in THE KILLING is to make a movie with Brad Pitt.  The name of the movie is World War Z.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1731 on: June 26, 2011, 12:38:49 AM »
That should be interesting! :-)

Babi

« Reply #1732 on: June 26, 2011, 08:43:23 AM »
 Looks like this series has opened doors for Miss Enos.  I would like to
see her in something very different.   My dominant impression of 'The
Killing', before I stopped watching it,  was gray and grunge.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1733 on: June 26, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
Yes, Babi, Mireille Enos is very subdued in The Killing. From some of her online photos, I think she as another sexy, sparkly side.

MaryPage

« Reply #1734 on: June 26, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »

roshanarose

« Reply #1735 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
The sexy Daniel Craig and the equally sexy Rachel Weisz are engaged.  I am sure that wouldn't have happened if he had met me first.  :'( Best wishes to them, and if you haven't seen it watch "The Constant Gardener" with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz.  Book by Le Carre.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1736 on: June 27, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »
But George Clooney is back on the market, Roshanarose!  There is still hope!

Rosemay

Babi

« Reply #1737 on: June 27, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »
 Oh, my gosh, Enos is a Houstonian...and a beautiful, sexy-looking one
at that.  I would never have suspected from watching the killing. Thanks
for the link, MARYPAGE.

Babi

« Reply #1738 on: June 27, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
 Oh, my gosh, Enos is a Houstonian...and a beautiful, sexy-looking one
at that.  I would never have suspected from watching the killing. Thanks
for the link, MARYPAGE.

MaryPage

« Reply #1739 on: June 27, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
My late husband and I went to see The Constant Gardener together;  his choice of film.  Sob!  He loved it;  I hated it.  Acting superb, and she, of course, was glorious.

roshanarose

« Reply #1740 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
MaryPage - I am interested.  Why did you hate "The Constant Gardener"?

Rosemary - It is odd, I suppose, but George Clooney doesn't do much for me. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1741 on: June 28, 2011, 02:38:52 AM »
Oh goody, Roshanarose - I'll have him all to myself then (when he comes to his senses and realises I exist, that is... :D)

Watched Four Weddings and a Funeral last night.  Enjoyed it, but do find it hard to take Hugh Grant seriously these days -"Mr Public School and slightly nervous" does not really convince now we all know what he really gets up to....Loved the other couples though, and especially James Fleet, who played more or less the same part in The Vicar of Dibley, one of my favourite chill-out happy ending TV series.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1742 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
We're just getting caught up - watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, last night.  We've thoroughly enjoyed all the books and movies.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #1743 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
The Constant Gardener frightened and depressed me.  What can I say?

I love George Clooney all to bits (loved his Aunt Rosie), but he is not at all "my type."

I agree with Rosemary on Hugh Grant, although I did about forgive him all in that wonderful movie where he played the Prime Minister!  Ha!

Also loved the Vicar of Dibley series and bought the DVDs.

I, too, just watched Part I recently in order to be all set for Part II.  We shall miss Harry Potter.  I just resent the h--l out of the fact he was not the invention of MY imagination!  Three cheers for Rowling!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1744 on: June 29, 2011, 02:14:22 AM »
MaryPage - you and I both!  Why oh why didn't I think of H Potter?  As one of my friends said, it's only a reworked boarding school story with magic!!!

I think the film you mean is Love Actually - which is another of my "feel good" films, though my favourite in that is of course the "baddy", Alan Rickman - he would certainly beat George Clooney in my top 10 any time!

I'm glad you like The Vicar of Dibley.  I know it's all rather tame but I love it - and the parish committee meetings really do remind me of so many similar meetings that I've endured.

I haven't seen the Constant Gardener - it looks too depressing, although I loved Le Carre's spy series, and the TV adaptation of Smiley's People was brilliant - Alec Guinness, what an actor.  I seem to recall that the late lamented Beryl Reid was also excellent in it.  More recently the books have been serialised on the radio, and Simon Russell Beale, another fantastic actor  was Smiley - I didn't think anyone would ever replace Alec Guinness in that role, but Russell Beale was wonderful.

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #1745 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:50 AM »
Gosh, I haven't heard anyone mention Smiley for years... Alec Guiness surely was the goods when it came to acting any part he undertook.

You can have all you want of George Clooney and Hugh Grant - they don't do it for me.. Alan Rickman is another story - all that intensity of suppressed emotion. He was great as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility too. -

Constant Gardener was a little too realistic to make for comfortable viewing.

Watched Tea With Mussolini the other night - had forgotten how good it was - and what a lineup - Cher, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright, and Lily Tomlin.  Directed by Franco Zeffirelli and writer was John Mortimer
- story was semi-autobiographical based on Zeffirelli's early life... interesting.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1746 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:26 AM »
Gum, I have always meant to watch that film - thanks for the recommendation, I will see if the library has it.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #1747 on: June 29, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »
I watched "The Constant Gardener" twice, mostly to see if I missed something the first time around.  Figured out I missed out on "not seeing it."  Such good acting though, but the film did nothing for me. Perhaps I should read the book and see how badly they screwed up the film! LOL

I thought of another wonderful English film, but will have to come back in as I can't think of the title. (isn't that just like me?)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1748 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
Join the club, Tomereader.

Gumtree, I'd forgotten about Tea with Mussolini.  It's been eons since I watched it, and I don't remember a lot about it, but I do know that I liked it.

Another film set in Italy during the same period is The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, about an Italian Jewish family, and as I recall, in Italian with subtitles.  Excellent film.  

A check on Amazon shows "Tea" reasonably available, but "Garden" only from 3-rd party sellers for $90+.  And on Netflix, it is a green SAVE, DVD currently not available.  I wonder why.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1749 on: June 29, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »
OK, had to go to IMdb, but found it!  It was a made for TV movie, starring Maggie Smith.  Very good indeed!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #1750 on: June 29, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
I adored Tea With Mussolini.  Have seen it at least 3 times, and could watch it again!

Judi Dench saving the paintings impressed me most.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1751 on: June 29, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
Still not thinking well, the Maggie Smith movie was "My House in Umbria".  I tried to do a link from IMdB, but I'm not so hot at that either! 

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1752 on: June 29, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
I think the film you mean is Love Actually - which is another of my "feel good" films, though my favourite in that is of course the "baddy", Alan Rickman - he would certainly beat George Clooney in my top 10 any time!
Rosemary

Rosemary, I'm with you about Alan Rickman.  His portrayal of Colonel Brandon in "Sense and Sensibility" makes it more truly a happy ending for Marianne to marry him.  And back in the days when Harry Potter wasn't finished and we were still debating whether Severus Snape was going to turn out to be a good guy or a bad guy, one of my arguments for good guy was that Rowling had a lot of control over the movies, at least at first, and Rickman was cast as Snape.

Has anyone seen him in "Galaxy Quest"?  It's a light-hearted spoof of the original "Star Trek" and it's fans.  A bunch of washed-up actors whose careers consisted of a Star Trek-like show are abducted by aliens who think the show was real and want help in overcoming invasion by other aliens.  It's pretty funny if you like that sort of thing.  Not Rickman's usual thing, but he was obviously having a blast doing it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1753 on: June 30, 2011, 03:40:37 AM »
PatH - I'm going to look for Galaxy Quest, it sounds hilarious.

Tomereader - my mother has recommended that House in Umbria film to me, and Maggie Smith was in both that and Tea With Mussolini, wasn't she?  So no need to beat yourself up!  In my mind they are all jumbled up with The Enchanted April and probably any other film set in Italy (maybe not "I'm Not Scared" - a brilliant film, but rather different).

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1754 on: June 30, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
 Ah, yes, ROSEMARY. "Endured" is just the word to express my feelings
about committee meetings. I am quite happy to leave the whole scene to
those who adore leading committees.

WOW!, GUM, how could I have missed a movie with a line-up like that!
I've got to go find that one.  "Tea With Mussolini", ...got it.

Gumtree

« Reply #1755 on: June 30, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »
Babi - happy to be of service - hope you enjoy it

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1756 on: July 01, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
The past two night I've been watching Mao's Last Dancer, about ballet dancer Li Cunxin who came as a young man to the US for three months, defected, and stayed. The story-line is excellent, but what blew me away was the absolutely gorgeous, beautiful dancing, especially in Stravinkly's Rites of Spring.

Gumtree

« Reply #1757 on: July 01, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
He didn't stay in US forever - He came to Australia as a principal dancer for the Australian Ballet located in Melbourne. Married an Aussie girl - also a ballet dancer - changed his career path to finance stuff - is a sought after speaker on the lecture circuit - does a lot of charity work for the hearing impaired - his daughter was born with hearing impairment. An all round good guy.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1758 on: July 01, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
Mao's Last Dancer looks beautiful, Pedln. See the trailer at http://www.maoslastdancermovie.com/.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Frybabe

« Reply #1759 on: July 04, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
I did a little survey of the shows listed tonight on my cable. NBC has the Macy's fireworks show, PBS is doing the usual Capitol Fireworks program, and History International is showing The Revolution series. No one else is running anything about the American Revolution, or the Declaration of Independence. I did watch, yesterday, a show about LaFayette. What and extraordinary man.