Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556688 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #4880 on: August 30, 2021, 08:27:15 PM »
Have any of  you seen The Chair? It's new on Netflix, only 6 episodes, and is about a University English Department and the first woman chairman.

I absolutely love it but  it's strong in language and there's a naked body in in one shot, so it's not for everybody.

It's an absolute hoot, and interesting on old faculty members and the ....it's just GOOD.

Golly moses the reactions of the viewers, too. Couldn't be more far apart.

---------------------------------------------------
Also on Netflix, also extremely good, is a documentary on  Bob Ross, remember him? The soft spoken artist who gave lessons on TV and who completed a painting in 29 minutes every time?  Apparently he was taken advantage of, I'm not that far into it, it's narrated by his son. Riveting watching!

It's funny, too, because I was just thinking of him and wondering if I watched some of his youtube shows if I could paint. He made it look so easy.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4881 on: August 30, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »
He made it look so easy.

I suspect that's bit like a ballet dancer making their dancing look effortless--the result of much practice.  Nice to watch though.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4882 on: August 31, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
:).  Hopeful.  He was dealing in hope and encouragement.  And passion for art.  I'm almost afraid to watch more.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Frybabe

« Reply #4883 on: September 02, 2021, 07:38:36 AM »
It seems the list of free movies is either shorter now, less interesting or good, or I've seen them already. On my sister's recommendation I did watch The Tomorrow War a few weeks back. I didn't care for it much, but watched the whole thing anyway. There were a few more that I started but soon gave up on.

So I am back to watching documentaries and YouTube clips. My sister recently watched The ABC Murders, which she though I would like. For the most part, I dislike serial killer stories so after a few minutes I gave up on it.

My Xfinity service contract will soon by up which will make for a good opportunity to change to a different level, I think, since I can afford to upgrade a little now and/or add a premium channel or two. I just have to make up my mind what I want. Making up my mind between choices can be such a challenge.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #4884 on: September 02, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
I've been enjoying mindless "mysteries" on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel.  Nothing earth shaking, but I've really enjoyed MONK and his many phobias and others that are at the same level of mindlessness...Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, Murder She Baked...now called Hannah Swensen Mysteries, I think, and so you see where my mind has gone during this pandemic.  Things are not returning to normal, as I'd hoped, here in the "heartland"...where people think taking a livestock dewormer is preferable to getting a doctor recommended vaccine.  I swear their brains must have corn root worm.  Maybe the dewormer will fix that.   OK>..off my soapbox for now.

Frybabe

« Reply #4885 on: September 03, 2021, 06:13:53 AM »
Eeeeuuuu! Is that what that stuff is? A dewormer?

Okay, I think you just invented a title for a new mystery series: Mindless Mysteries. Should be a big hit.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4886 on: September 03, 2021, 09:06:01 AM »
I LOVE Monk and am so glad to hear he's somewhere, I had no idea. I have taped the first 7 episodes coming up and really look forward to them, but last night on Youtube I stumbled into another TV movie of Poirot and am....well....somewhat abashed to say  that I was hooked immediately AGAIN, and watched 2 of them last night for the same reasons I watched them the first time. Entertainment, escape, and most important.....

Let POIROT do it!!! And he will, with all his idiosyncrasies, he WILL solve the  problem, no matter what it is, cleverly. I am thinking that's what I like about what I'm watching: something needs fixing, and HE will do it, HE will worry about it, an no matter what it IS, HE  will  do the worrying about it and fix it...very cleverly.... and not me.   :)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4887 on: September 03, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
Yep, Frybabe...."https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19"  Ivermectin is often used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals.

My great nephew and his wife are both veterinarians, nephew specializine in cows...wife on a PH.D path in animal pathology.  They both got the approved vaccine for humans. 

I'd watch your Mindless Mysteries, though that's what the ones I watch are.  My brain and emotions are on overload with the recent News and political decisions and rulings being made. I can't take anymore.  So...on to thoughtless and mindless entertainment. 

Frybabe

« Reply #4888 on: September 04, 2021, 07:11:53 AM »
Seems to me Mindless Mysteries title would be kind of "truth in advertising". I wonder who coined that phrase.

Speaking of, I  recently started watching a Canadian series set in Newfoundland called The Republic of Doyle.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4889 on: September 04, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »
Frybabe....where did you find the series about Newfoundland? 

For reasons I cannot fathom, I am fascinated by Newfoundland after visiting Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick.  One guide said he worked there for a year, and there are basically two or so "cities" and the rest is vast open space.  I would guess Labrador is the same, maybe?  Has anyone here been to either place? 

jane

Frybabe

« Reply #4890 on: September 05, 2021, 07:21:55 AM »
Jane, every month Amazon Prime features a movie or series from one of its listed pay for subscription partners.  I get to watch the first season free this month only, but have to purchase a subscription for Acorn (as best I can tell right now) if I want to see the rest.  IMDB points to Tubi TV to see it, so it may be free there. I've cruised around Tubi a once or twice, but I don't recall if they have a pay section or not.

There are supposedly six seasons, but I only see five listed. It ran between 2010 and 2014. The first two episodes I watched are mostly indoor scenes with the few outdoor scenes mostly dockside shots. The star of the show also produces/directs the series. The show is okay, but I am not sure I truly like his character much. He seems to want in every woman's pants, even his soon to be ex-wife. This is supposed to be a comedy type PI thing that I saw likened to a mix between Rockford Files and Northern Exposure. I don't see much, if any, resemblance myself, and IMO is not as good as either of them. I will probably finish watching the season anyway.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4891 on: September 05, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »
How interesting, I never heard of the movie! Not sure the pants thing appeals (especially with the paywall) but I'll look for it.

No, I am surprised to say I have never been to Newfoundland. Maine is the farthest I have been north in the US. Didn't you go there once, Jane?

Hooked on Monk.  I watched the  first episode I taped last night, he's gone to a vineyard B&B/ Winery for a Tasting/ memories of his wife stay,  and it was Pure Monk, just what I remembered. Love it, am taping the rest.  Nice to see a hero (like Poirot) who, like the rest of us, has some idiosyncrasies. And how kindly his friends treat him. Monk's, of course,  are exaggerated, but the kleenex over the public phone (ditto) and some of his other precautions (check) are right in tune with the times now. If Wet Wipes had been invented in his day he'd be a walking grocery store of them.... (Ahem: ditto)...For instance it always used to amaze me to see people allowing babies to crawl on airport floors or to pick up a pacifier a child had  dropped from the dirtiest concourse or train station and put it right back in their mouths, no wiping, no anything.  Call me crazy. The "5 second rule"? A  lot of those things had been on the ground a lot longer than 5 seconds, but it only takes one to pick up something that can make you very sick.

Two thumbs up, and thanks for the recommendation!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4892 on: September 05, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »
Ah, Frybabe, thanks for the information.  I loved Northern Exposure...until it got, for me, a little too "out there/weird/goofy." 

Ginny...Never to Newfoundland, but have been to beautiful Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.  I think that's what stirred some of my interest. 

In some of the later episodes, you'll find Monk has discovered wipes!  Boy, has he discovered wipes!

jane

Frybabe

« Reply #4893 on: September 05, 2021, 10:39:10 PM »
Jane, it is about time for me to renew/change my cable service contract so I was looking at different packages and what additional channels for pay were available. While doing that, I discovered that Paramount+ also has Republic of Doyle. But what is more important to me, because I am a HALO fan (not the game, the movie clips and books), is that Paramount+ took over from Showtime to get the TV series ready to air. The last time I had looked, Showtime was stuck in HALO hell especially when COVID hit. They didn't even have a full cast set. Well, Paramount+ has four episodes ready now. I believe there are going to be nine episodes all together. They are a little vague, but they expect to have Season 1 ready to air the first quarter of next year. I am actually getting hopeful again to see it completed. Beyond that, Paramount+ has some movies and shows that interest me, which I couldn't say for Showtime. Since my cable provider does not offer Paramount+ I will probably pick it up through Prime.

What I saw of Northern Exposure, I liked, but it was since it aired on a work night, I didn't get to see much of it. I don't think I had a VHS or DVR at the time it aired. I actually never used the DVR feature on my cable subscription. I missed those Monk episodes with the wipes, but I did see the first few seasons. Most of the TV series don't appeal to me these days. I can't even say that the recent Masterpiece shows appeal to me, not since Downton Abbey and Endeavor anyway. Got away from watching all the NCIS variants and haven't felt like catching up on them. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #4894 on: September 06, 2021, 07:00:02 AM »
Wow what do you know - PBS is showing the movie Nicholas Nickleby this Thursday - a new two part series tonight called Guilt - only watched about a third of it - had me squirming with average everyday guys who hit a guy while driving home from a reception and then lying and lying and being caught by a neighbor who saw and paying her off - I do not like watching secrets and underhanded stunts to pull the wool over eyes - I'm OK with espionage but when it gets personal my skin crawls and finally realized I don't have to watch something just because it is usually a good show and so thank goodness for a Dickens Classic or the entire week of TV would be a bust because this series Guilt plays a repeat next Saturday and then the final 2 programs to the series next Sunday along with a repeat of another detective type mystery

Looked up the Republic of Doyle on Amazon and put it on my watch list - for some reason I'm not watching movies - watching allows my mind to wonder where as reading grabs me and I can drop away from the mess going on...

Clearing and found two good size boxes full of a couple of years of the magazine Victoria - do not have the heart to toss them - the photographs and articles are wonderful and I really had a lovely evening going through the magazines - the lifestyles presented may end up being as much of our past as the period of the Victoria era that they were using as their inspiration - The Christmas issues really held my attention - several issues featuring hand written notes and letters.

Everytime I see an article I renew my intent to write letters to family members - at least I get in a couple before other things crowd out my intent - thinking back when it was part of our lives and I realize part of it being so big was probably because there was nothing else - there was no email, internet or even TV - any news came from the newspaper and radio but that was not down to earth personal news - and you just did not pickup the phone and call to chat - most of us had party lines so family chit chat was avoided and our line had 4 families who may cut in they needed to make a call and so it was writing letters - that is probably why it is difficult to keep up today - now it is an extra - a bit of nostalgia but not exciting as when a letter arrived in the mailbox that we poured over and read several times... All to say these magazines hit the spot - like reading a picture book of fairytales for adults.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4895 on: September 06, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »
I am really enjoying Monk! Last night was the Halloween episode and his brother waiting for their father. Loved it, what a clever mystery, funny, kind, and smart.  I would never have figured that one out.

I'm watching one a day now, and so glad to know about them.  He's been into the wipes already in the one today. ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I love PBS too, Nicholas Nickleby sounds perfect for  Thursday, I'll tape it! I am enjoying Sit and Be Fit, Core exercises on PBS.  They really work, too.  I need core work.

I am having the MOST fun working puzzles in an iPad game. It is called Jigsaw Collection by Veraxen. It's free, and there are hundreds of pretty puzzles in any theme you want. There is a puzzle piece tray which loads automatically and on the right of it a red square with a magnifying glass on it which will display what  the finished puzzle should look like immediately on the screen. No more boxes standing on end on the table, which is the way my table here is now. :)  You can choose to do whatever puzzle you like in 42, 63, or 99 pieces and there is a daily new puzzle free. And it makes a very satisfying little metallic click when the right piece is put in the right place.

I like castles, and am currently doing castles surrounded by water, the photographs are gorgeous, and I enjoy the music (which you can turn off) which is very calming, a lovely flute and instruments. They play the same thing over and over, I guess you'd call it elevator music but it's SO calming and delightful. I just found out today that after a certain number of puzzles done you  can have a certain number of free new sets. I've chosen Travel, since I can't yet, and so get to go vicariously. Love it, it's one of the best puzzle things out there.   You can also buy new sets at 1.99- 3.99 if you want.

The only thing that could make it better would be the identification of the castle or perhaps even a bit about it, and then it would be perfect.  I spend a lot of time as each piece comes together  imagining what life is like for a person who is living in one of them, they are all so far apparently inhabited.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4896 on: September 06, 2021, 07:53:16 PM »
Ginny, is "Sit and Be Fit" still running on PBS?  Used to watch it all the time.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4897 on: September 06, 2021, 10:16:14 PM »
 Yes, it is! There are 35 episodes taped on my DVR so far.  I'm currently doing the core strengthening one but am thinking of adding the strong back strong core one on the off days. I like her and her attitude.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4898 on: September 07, 2021, 02:01:48 PM »
Here the exercise series is Classical Stretch: By Essentrics and it is on at 5:30 in the morning - I wonder if the Sit and Be Fit is on either Youtube or maybe as a movie on Amazon, from what y'all are saying it sounds like a worthwhile program of exercise.

Late at night before I'm off to bed I do like to watch a bit of TV - nothing on the big name stations and a few weeks ago I found, on a channel that brings in A&E programs, a show with a couple of men from Boston who flip houses - they have built a drama around the differences in each of these two - one who looks like a big Irish guy is all about speed - the faster the job to rehab a house the quicker their return on their investment and the other guy who looks like he may be either Italian or maybe Greek is all about detail and design - they take these houses that need major work and put in high end kitchens, wood floors, completely do the siding and roof sometimes adding a porch -

Fascinating watching what they do and the completed projects are fabulous - almost wish i was 30 years younger - I would love to do what they are doing - the banter between the two and the drama of things that go wrong or neighbors who get in on it or tenants that won't move out of the second story or having to get a survey being close to wetlands before they could build a viewing porch of the river - on and on - now I'm looking forward to the show - next they go to Las Vegas, evidently the market in Boston, their home town, is tanking making it almost impossible to make a profit. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4899 on: September 07, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
Yes, here she is in a special appearance arranged by NYC in 2020, this is not her program but she's live.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEGlntjbyZI She was 84  in 2020 when this program was done!!

Here is the one I do with weights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdB9YyP1jbg&list=PLiBGdcawVC9ybHj_IEbuoLPO-z40UgVzj

She's an RN. I do this one every other day with the Core ones.

She has her own youtube channel and exercises for balance, etc., pretty much everything.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SitandBeFitTVSHOW/playlists

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4900 on: September 07, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
Great thanks

Tomereader1

« Reply #4901 on: September 07, 2021, 07:59:45 PM »
Thank you, Ginny.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4902 on: September 07, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
My pleasure!  She sure looks fabulous for 85.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4903 on: September 07, 2021, 08:57:33 PM »
I'm 82 and I don't look anywhere near as good as she does!

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4904 on: September 09, 2021, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm not far behind you and I didn't look or stand that straight  20 years ago. It MUST be the conditioning, and that in itself is impressive, and sort of makes you want to start.  And I live SO far from any gym!

She has a fascinating life story, too.  That's her daughter in some of the tapes with her and when asked when her mom would be giving it up said "when she dies."  Good for her! Used to work with polio patients. Impressive.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4905 on: September 09, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »
Monk had jury duty last night. I laughed out loud for the first time in days.

I think I'm turning into Mr. Monk. There aren't many people who could play that part.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4906 on: September 09, 2021, 05:43:10 PM »
Tomereader I do not know if you always had that quote at the bottom of your posts but I Love it -

Ginny I'm thinking Monk was one of the original nerds - Have you seen Professor T - another strange character  - I am annoyed though with this British remake - only saw the original filmed I think in the Netherlands a couple of years ago - preferred their version of the Professor although I must say the mother in the British version is wonderful, Frances de la Tour - she played the older women on the make in the TV series Vicious with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4907 on: September 09, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »
No, I've not heard of that, I'll look for it.

But I just watched the episode of Monk and the Actor in which Stanley Tucci plays an actor in a movie they are making about the police department he works in,  and I am here to say that Stanley Tucci is absolutely incredible in the part, he imitates Monk till he's more than Monk and you can barely tell them apart when in costume. He should have gotten an award for that appearance, I think I'll look and see if he did.

I had NO idea Tucci had so much talent, he is absolutely a born mimic. Incredible.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4908 on: September 09, 2021, 09:27:29 PM »
Well I didn't have to look far:

He has won three Emmy Awards; one for Winchell (1998), one for a guest appearance on the comedy series Monk, and one for being a producer of the web series Park Bench ...

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Monk (2002)
For playing "David Ruskin". For episode "Mr. Monk and the Actor".

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4909 on: September 10, 2021, 03:24:59 PM »
Change the subject from a droll inspector to the marvelous production on PBS of Nickolas Nickleby - the whose who of English actors, some taking bit roles, Nathan Lane did some of his best work and new actors that showed remarkable talent - settings were the most wonderful - found on youtube a 2 minute+ trailer  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld_4K1jtbqg 

Watching this was like enjoying a night of TV as we did over a year ago...

Tomereader1

« Reply #4910 on: September 11, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »
Ginny, yes I've always had that quote on here. 
I love the one by Goethe that Mars Gal uses!

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4911 on: September 11, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
Tome, it wasn't I who mentioned the quote but I've loved it since the day you put it in, (should have mentioned it) and it was sort of paraphrased in the new mini series The Chair, too. :)

Barbara, thank you for the link.  Nicholas Nickleby is not on our PBS here but your link took me to the Nathan Lane/ Charles Dance original one from 2002, and we can all see it now on Youtube!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUh9U0Af1kg&t=54s

Frybabe

« Reply #4912 on: September 12, 2021, 08:16:57 AM »
Now, I can get a little excited about this. The current Masterpiece newsletter has just announced that Masterpiece is doing Tom Jones. They will start filming this fall in Belfast, Ireland.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4913 on: September 12, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »
Sorry, Ginny!  That was Barb who mentioned the quote.  Thank you so much Barb!

I put my DVR to good use the past week, I got every special, both on History Channel, PBS and NationalGeographic, and watched them, one at a time, from Friday and still today.  Terrifically sad.  I remember we got the news while at work, and our company sent everyone home, as we were in a tall-ish building (no where near the Towers' height). I shed a lot of tears watching these, but there were some footages that we never saw, so it was enlightning.  One of the best was the 4 Planes, where they plotted the tracks of the 4 planes, and how each Air Traffic Control asked and answered questions from each airport.  They showed the radar screens and how each plane made their turns, etc.  The most frightening one was where the showed the Radar screen indicating all the over 5,000 flights in the air at that time, before they grounded everything. 
Being so far away from the actual scenes, and having come home and watched on TV, the feeling of Terror was all encompassing (for me).

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #4914 on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:40 AM »
I watched a TimeLine episode about the 9th Legion in Britain and its' disappearance. There is supposed to be a second part to this, but I haven't found it on YouTube yet. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4915 on: September 15, 2021, 02:15:31 AM »
Now, I can get a little excited about this. The current Masterpiece newsletter has just announced that Masterpiece is doing Tom Jones. They will start filming this fall in Belfast, Ireland.
I can get excited about that too.  It could be great. They have a tough act to follow, though, in the super 1963 (yikes! Time flies.) version, with lots of stars, including Alert Finney, Susannah York, and Joan Greenwood.

Frybabe

« Reply #4916 on: September 15, 2021, 06:51:29 AM »
I agree, Pat.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4917 on: September 17, 2021, 12:41:18 PM »
That sounds very interesting, Tome! I found whenever the subject came up I tear up so I've not been able to watch much of the 9/11 films. I've been to the Museum there and it's shattering. So many times my children and I were on the observation floor... I can't get over it.

Really proud of New York City for their recovery and strength.

Still watching one Monk per night. I swear I am turning into him. Tony Shaloub is wonderful in making this poor anxious soul, this  damaged OCD human being relatable and charming. One has sympathy for him, due in some part to the reactions of the wonderful cast (they are all alive, they all appeared for charity in a fun film like Red Nose Day,  and they all look the same, too). Amazing, that was almost 20 years ago, wasn't it?

Thankfully there are 127 episodes and I hope to tape them all.

I haven't seen Professor T, Barbara, I'll look for it. I did see that the Beach Hotel series from  Denmark has 2 new seasons!! So I know I'll start that one over, subtitles and all.

:)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4918 on: September 17, 2021, 02:16:15 PM »
Local PBS showed 12 Angry Men last night - riveting and after all these years the entire storyline is the same as if filmed today - astonishing the skill of these actors and most interesting is who among them went on to have Stella careers - showed me again how we interpret what we see and hear through the lens of our own viewpoint and how ethics is affected by our cultural and personal life experiences. 

We are getting a brand new TV station - not sure where it emanates from and it has nothing to do with PBS but the line up they are advertising includes some of the British Mysteries that our PBS channels are no longer carrying as of the summer like Midsummer Murders - the station comes alive on September 27 - a light in what has become a dark place on TV - forgot the call letters - all that I can find with its initial broadcasting. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4919 on: September 25, 2021, 11:15:41 PM »
That sounds exciting, Barbara!   Maybe that’s the reason they took off the British programming. It’s going to be interesting to see what it is…

I didn’t get to see the Emmys but I taped it, and I’m so glad for Gillian Anderson,  she was so good as Margaret Thatcher,  my goodness.  Tour de force.  She’s good in everything she’s been in.

I’m still loving Monk. 

Are any of you watching Jeopardy? I really like Miriam Bialik.  She has a pleasant  nice voice, and  seems to be a nice person.