Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556795 times)

Frybabe

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1800 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

What a bummer Octavia. I hope you can find a suitable alternative.

I just got finished watching Johnny Depp's Alice in Wonderland. He is just so outstanding with his characterizations, very versatile.

roshanarose

« Reply #1801 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
And on Rupert Murdoch's as well!  How can he be so cavalier about sacking so many people just like that? >:(  Despite what Gordon Gecko said, Greed is never good.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1802 on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:35 AM »
I like Johnny Depp too, Frybabe. He has played a lot of strange characters.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1803 on: July 16, 2011, 02:35:18 AM »
The phone hacking thing is absolutely huge here at the moment - News International is in deep do-do, and so they should be.  They have been hacking into the mobile phones not only of celebrities (which no-one got too het up about apart form the celebs of course) but also murder victims (in one case this led to the parents of a murdered 11 year old thinking she was still alive), etc.  Murdoch has turned up here apparently more concerned to save the skin of ghastly Rebekah Wade (his chief exec and editor of the News Of the World when most of this happened) than trying to investigate or to make any kind of amends to the families.  She finally resigned yesterday - the public were about ready to eat her alive - and he has been forced to stop his bid to take control of the whole of Sky (satellite news networK).  So much is coming out of the woodwork about the incestuous relationships between the media, the police (they are heavily implicated in cover-ups and backhanders) and the politicians - it's what everyone suspected all along but now they can no longer deny it.  Horrible.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1804 on: July 16, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
 Horrible, yes, and very, very messy.  One can only hope when it gets all cleaned
up the country will feel it's a job well done.
  I got your message, ROSEMARY, but did not have a return address.  Briefly,
 I haven't seen the page you refer to yet, but irregardless I am not one of those who can remove offending messages.  One person I'm certain can is our administrator, MARCIE. Contact her and tell her where tha page can be found
and she will look into it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #1805 on: July 16, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »
Tomorrow I get to see Johnny Depp's new movie, Rango. My BIL just picked it up. We also plan on going to the Old Country Buffet for dinner and then a trip out to visit Mom and Dad at the cemetery.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1806 on: July 16, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
Thanks Babi - I think several people have contacted Jane and she has removed all that stuff.

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #1807 on: July 16, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Saw the movie Horrible Bosses yesterday in the theater.  Starts off a little silly, but it gets better and had us in parts laughing so hard tears ran down our eyes.  Been a long time since I laughted like that in a movie.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #1808 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
 Marcie and Jane. What would we do without them?!!

I don't generally care for 'silly' movies, but I would enjoy a good laugh, too.
I'll  have a look at it. I wasn't aware Johnny Depp had another film out already.
I don't know what 'Rango' is about, of course, but I haven't seen anything of
his that he didn't do beautifully.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #1809 on: July 17, 2011, 10:55:27 AM »
Babi, I'll let you know when I get back this evening. All I know about Rango is that it is a cartoon about a lizard. I think I saw a trailer or something a while back that showed the liz in cowboy dress.

Frybabe

« Reply #1810 on: July 17, 2011, 06:09:47 PM »
Ok, here is my opinion of Rango. Story line, accidental hero, who fancies himself an actor, saves town from bad guys who cut off water to force inhabitants to sell out. I thought the movie as a whole was so-so compared to some other recent animated films. BUT, it did have its moments. I could pick out spoofs of several cowboy movies. Also, several music scores started out with several notes from well known pop songs, but then veered off just as the name of the tune started to form in my head. The best scene, as far as I was concerned, was the chase scene; cue The Ride of the Valkyries, and runaway wagon which was chased by various rodents riding bats. The best character, IMHO, was Bill Nighy playing Rattlesnake Jake. Even better was the documentary on how the movie was made. Hans Zimmer did the music score. He apparently attracted a lot of session players, and there was special attention to a trumpet player named Arthuro. Such was my afternoon.

Babi

« Reply #1811 on: July 18, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »
Hmm..  Since I wouldn't be able to hear the musical cues, FRYBABE,  I'd miss out on all that.
Might be something I'd like to watch when I'm really fed up with adults.  ;)

Frybabe

« Reply #1812 on: July 18, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
Babi, the animation was wonderful. The animators did a marvelous job with body posture and facial expressions. In the documentary, they talked about the necessity to make Rattlesnake Jake's scales all move in a coordinated manner and the time it took. For this movie, instead of having the actors voice over separately and then put together, they had the actors all in the same room semi-dressed as their respective cartoon characters and act out the part to a degree. It reminded me of a play rehearsal. Alfred Molina, playing the part of the Armadillo who resembled Don Quixote, had even laid down on his back to play the scene where he was attempted roadkill. I would definitely watch it again. I think it is a movie that I would like better the second time, especially after seeing how it was done.

Babi

« Reply #1813 on: July 19, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »
 You sold me, FRYBABE.  I'll put it on my Netflix queue.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1814 on: July 19, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
You sold me too, Frybabe.

I think SeniorLearn is influencing Netflix.  We were talking about Gaslight earlier.  When I went to put it on my queue it said "short wait."  Now, guess what it said just now when I put "Rango" on my queue.     :D

Babi, Netflix just about gave me a heart attack the other night.  I had been reading about some film and wanted to add it to my queue.  When I tried to bring up my queue, it was only the Instant queue, not the DVD queue with over 200 titles on it.  I tried calling them -- busy signal all the time.  Finally was able to do a work around from IE "history" and bring up the DVD queue which I saved in a WORD file.  Sure would hate to start from scratch, I wouldn't know where to begin.  By MOnday morning it was all fixed.  I don't know what happened.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1815 on: July 19, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
I think a lot of people who read the postings here in SeniorLearn, or even Seniors&Friends, go quickly to Netflix and order the films we talk about.  They may not post here, but they do read here (IMO) and are anxious to see what we are talking about!  I had the same "short wait" message on a film that was discussed here awhile back (Don't remember the title right now!)  But the film did come up in not too long a time, and they shipped it.  I'll go back and see what that was. The short wait message also occurs when a film has only "Just" been released to DVD, and Rango is one of those. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1816 on: July 19, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
I put Rango in my queue yesterday, and didn't get a "wait" notice.  I didn't move it to #1, so that might have made a difference.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1817 on: July 19, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »
Pedln, now when I go to Netflix it only gives me my instant queue.  To get my whole queue, I have to click on "My Account", and then I get a page which has a tab for my regular queue.  Grrrr!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1818 on: July 19, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
I had to go look to see what "Instant" was.  I'd not noticed it before.  The page I have in my favorites is the "Search DVDs" - so that's what comes up.  Try doing that - or using "My Queue" for your favorite.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #1819 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:40 AM »
So glad it got fixed, PEDLN. I'd hate to have to restore that long queue Val
and I have. We couldn't possibly remember everything.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1820 on: July 20, 2011, 08:57:48 AM »
Rango has now advanced to "Long wait."    ;D

I think some of the "wait" business is regional.  Netflix must buy copying rights or some such when they get DVDs.  The whole realm of media/selling/subscribing/downloading  is sooo complicated.

There were tons of comments on WSJ and NYT when Netflix announced its price changes last week, for streaming and DVDs.  I agree with those who said they always considered the streaming just a freebie to go along with the DVDs.  It kind of was.  But no longer.  I always thought it would be fun to sit on the front porch and stream a movie, but I never did.  Now I'm telling myself I'll stream a bunch until the prices change in Sept. and then cancel streaming.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1821 on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »
I think some of the "wait" business is regional.  Netflix must buy copying rights or some such when they get DVDs.  The whole realm of media/selling/subscribing/downloading  is sooo complicated.
Maybe, but I've had DVDs sent to me from all over, including Hawaii.  I've never tried streaming, not sure my lousy Earthlink DSL connection is up to it, but I guess now I should try it and see what I want to do from here on.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1822 on: July 21, 2011, 03:50:31 PM »
The "kids" movie I want to see is "Mr. Poppers Penguins" I remember reading that as a child and enjoying it. Does anyone else remember it?

Gumtree

« Reply #1823 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
My local paper is offering freebies to preview showings of a new film of Jane Eyre - director is Cary Fukunaga and Jane is played by Aussie actor, Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender is Rochester and Judi Dench plays Mrs Fairfax.

What really caught my eye was the actual number of films and other adaptations of this classic story that have been made ...

Jane Eyre has been adapted into 20 silent films, 27 talkies for film and television, 23 radio dramas, 48 plays and 8 musicals.

I don't suppose I'll win any of the freebies -The film is due for general release here on 11th August... has already opened in Sydney etc.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1824 on: July 22, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
Eight musicals? Wow!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1825 on: July 22, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
That's interesting that there will be another Jane Eyre film. I hadn't realized it was adapted so many times! I recognize Mia Wasikowska from the 2010 "Alice in Wonderland." I don't recall seeing Michael Fassbender in a film though I probably have. He's going to make a handsome Rochester although Rochester isn't supposed to be good looking. Oh well, Timothy Dalton was also a good-looking Rochester; also dark and brooding.  ;)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1826 on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
I see I'm a mere amateur  of Jane Eyre, even though I've read the book a number of times.  I've only seen 3 films, and I can't imagine it as a musical.  My favorite Rochester is Ciaran Hinds, who did a good job of bringing out the harsh, selfish side of Rochester while still keeping him likeable enough to be sympathetic.

Gum, let us know what you think of the new film.  I trust your opinion more than reviewers.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1827 on: July 23, 2011, 01:02:44 AM »
PatH, I thought Ciaran Hinds and Samantha Morton were excellent in Jane Eyre. They made the relationship believable.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1828 on: July 23, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
Last night, we watched La Cage Aux Folles (1979) - the original film is in French (we watched a dubbed version).  The Birdcage (1996) was a US remake (with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane).  Both are wonderful movies, although we like The Birdcage better.  I didn't realize until we were watching the pre-movie credits that it was based on a book by that name.  I looked on Amazon, and it is listed, but they have no copies for sale.  It'd be fun to read, if there were an English translation.  ;)

Gumtree

« Reply #1829 on: July 23, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
PatH: I felt something of a Jane Eyre novice too -  Like you I've read JE more than once - much more than once - and seen as many of the films and TV adaptions as I could - I've several DVDs in my collection - but still fall a long way short of the total. I've never seen a stage production still less one of the musicals. - And just think - I've missed all 23 radio dramas. I ask you - where have I been all my life?

I agree you'd go a long way to better Ciaran Hinds in the Rochester role - I rather liked George C Scott too -he was more as I imagined Rochester when I was very young.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1830 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
Gum, I'll have to check out George C. Scott.

Last night I watched Ciaran Hinds in a rather different role--a designer of ladies' underwear in London just prior to WWII.  This is "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day".  Frances McDormand, an actress I admire, is Miss P, a nanny who has been fired one time too often, but manages to steal a job as personal assistant to an airheaded American actress involved in complicated amorous and professional problems.  In a series of farcical scenes, Miss P tries to sort out the actress' complicated problems while dealing with her own feelings for Hinds.  It's lightweight froth, but very enjoyable.  Good period costumes and settings, too.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1831 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:32 AM »
PatH - I have seen the Miss Pettigrew film but I didn't like it - I think I am just too attached to the book, which IMO is much better.

Daughters and I are watching the DVD of the old BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth and Jennifer Erlhe).  It was much praised in its day - I missed it then - but we have, and daughters re-watch often, the newer film version (Keira Knightly, Judi Dench), and compared to that the BBC version now appears more than a little ridiculous.  Colin Firth's acting (it was made some years ago) in particular is terrible - in fact we are having a lot of laugh out loud moments that the script writers definitely didn't intend us to.

Has anyone seen this new H Potter yet?  I am supposed to take my youngest to it this week, but my parents in law have generously offered to take her when we visit them next month - they are HP fans and want to see it themselves - so I am trying to persuade her to wait.

Also, has anyone seen Fortunes of War, the TV adaptation of Olivia Manning's books?  It was made years ago with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson, when they were still an item.  It is meant to be excellent and I was wondering about borrowing it from the library.  We like things in episodes.

It's the Edinburgh Jazz Festival at the moment; my husband is going to 7 concerts in 7 nights.  I went with him to see Courtney Pine (jazz saxophonist from London - although he was actually playing bass clarinet) on Friday, but I really don't think I get jazz in large helpings - it just seems to go on and on  ::)

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #1832 on: July 24, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »
Rosemary:  Jazz ...
seems to go on and on 
  and on ... and on...

Haven't watched the Colin Firth P&P for quite a while - I'll be scared to now just in case what you say is true...

I haven't seen Fortunes of War - but with Branagh and Thompson you probably can't go wrong. I might look for it myself - I read the books  long ago.

PatH - I nearly swallowed my tonsils when I realised it was Ciaran Hinds in Miss Pettigrew - I just wasn't expecting him. He has a huge CV - stage and film etc - including Harry Potter no less...

I can't get the Jane Eyre thing out of my mind - if there were all those musicals why don't I know songs about  'the mad woman in the attic' or Jane  or Mr Rochester or even St John Rivers and Mr Brocklehurst. The musicals must  have flopped at the box office  :D

MaryPage

« Reply #1833 on: July 24, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
I have not seen the new Harry Potter yet, but daughter Becky and Great granddaughter Emily have.  Becky reports it very good, though dark, both in tone and in actual photography.  Neither she nor I like films which are photographed mostly in the dark.  We like to be able to SEE what is going on!  Becky felt they did an excellent job of aging the principal characters at the end.  Emily, who is 17 and a High School Senior, adored the movie, says they did a great job of carefully following the book, but she thinks they did a really bad job of aging all but Malfoy at the end.

My oldest daughter's sister-in-law, a dear friend of mine, went with my Great granddaughter Brooke, 11 (her grand niece), and both loved it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1834 on: July 24, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
Rosemary, if the book of Miss Pettigrew is a lot better than the movie, I'd better read it.  I didn't even realize it was a book.

Gum, the last time I watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice I still liked it as much as ever.  They had the sense to keep almost exactly to the book, and because it's so long, they didn't have to cut out anything.  I'm an Austen nut.  Nobody need pay too much attention to me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1835 on: July 25, 2011, 02:47:41 AM »
Thanks MaryPage - I am still hoping to be able to persuade Madeleine to wait until my MIL takes her  :)  I too don't like lots of dark and murky shots.

PatH - do read the book of Miss Pettigrew.  It was one of the first ones republished by Persephone Press.  Can you get it in the US?  I lent mine to my neighbour (who is not a great reader) and she loved it so much she bought copies for all her friends for Christmas.

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #1836 on: July 25, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »
I'm an Austen nut.  Nobody need pay too much attention to me.

PatH  Ditto  - me too!

MaryPage

« Reply #1837 on: July 25, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »
Me, three!  I have every video and DVD ever made of any of the 6 books.  I never tire of a new version. though I am most fond of the old, black and white Greer Garson. Laurence Olivier, Edmund Gwen, Mary Boland, Maureen O'Sullivan, Ann Rutherford, Edna Mae Oliver version.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1838 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Roshanrose posted this site in the "library". I tho't some of you may want to check out the 1001 movies to see before you die........:)

This site w/ movies, books, paintings, albums, classical music, eventually wines and buildings to see/hear/drink before you die, could take a year's time to browse. I think we could make up our own lists, i probably can't afford their wines ;D

http://www.1001beforeyoudie.com/

Jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1839 on: July 25, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
MaryPage, how do you feel about the 1995 BBC version of "Persuasion" with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds?  And, which versions of any of the books do you find particularly good?

Warning to all: roshanarose's site is a black hole which will suck you in and not spit you out for some time.  But it's a lot of fun.  People are talking about it in the Library.