Author Topic: Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig - Prediscussion  (Read 18937 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig - Prediscussion
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

PLEASE POST BELOW IF YOU CAN JOIN US IN AUGUST!

Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig

Dancing at the Rascal Fair is an authentic saga of the American experience at the turn of this century and a passionate, portrayal of the immigrants who dared to try new lives in the imposing Rocky Mountains.
Ivan Doig's supple tale of landseekers unfolds into a fateful contest of the heart between Anna Ramsay and Angus McCaskill, walled apart by their obligations as they and their stormy kith and kin vie to tame the brutal, beautiful Two Medicine country.
It is a story rich in detail, recounted in language that rings true, from the Scottish lilt of Lucas Barclay to the laconic speech of Stanley Meixell; above all, it is a story filled with “those word rainbows called poems.” (Barnes & Noble)

"Against this masterfully evoked backdrop. Mr. Doig addresses his real subject: love between friends, between the sexes, between the generations....His is a prose as tight as a new thread and as special as handmade candy....Dancing at the Rascal Fair races with real vigor and wit and passion." Lee K. Abbott ~ The New York Times Book Review

Discussion Schedule:

August 1 ~ 5  Scotland and Helena; Gros Ventre; Medicine Lodge (about 88 pages)  

Discussion Leaders:   Babi  & Joan P

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig August Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »
Welcome! This is one of those big, engrossing stories, a saga to get lost in, as you are transported back into the late 19th century - as Montana becomes a state.  Thank you so much for voting for this book as our August discussion - in spite of -(or because of?) its odd title.  I knew virtually nothing about Montana before picking up the book.  This is an opportunity to get in on its beginning and come away with an understanding of its roots - while being entertained with quite a love story too.  You can't ask for a better book to read in the hammock with a tall glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade...

Please post below if you are thinking of joining us in August.  For our planning, it would be helpful to know if you will be joining us - and also if you will be reading a hardcover, paperback or e-reader.  

We plan to begin bring some background info here when we begin  a PRE-DISCUSSION of this book in another two weeks.  Meet you back here then - we hope!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
I love everything by Ivan Doig - think we've  read them all at one time or another.  I'll be lurking, if not chiming in.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:53:24 AM »
Will take you any way we get you, Maryz - hopefully you'll give us a shout-out once in a while...or maybe even comment if we're lucky! 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
Phooey - it's not available on Kindle. >:(  :'(
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
My library had a number of copies of all Doig's books.  I guess the Kindle is addictive, huh?  You get used to reading that way...

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
Something like that.   ::)

Kindle has a commentary/study guide for the book, but not the book itself.   ???  Same thing with To Kill a Mockingbird.  Oh, well....

serenesheila

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
I am looking forward to taking part in this discussion.  My paternal, great grandmother lived in Montana, while she was growing up.  One of her brothers was the Indian Agent in the area, and another brother was a State Senator.  He helped write the state constitution.  I was told many hair raising stories, by each of them.  I wish I had asked more questions. I am looking forward to our discussion.

BTW, This book is the second of a trilogy,so ordered all 3 of them, from Amazon.

Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
Maryz - that study guide and commentary sounds interesting - That's good information, I guess - that the book is not available on Kindle - but  I really HOPE you can find a copy in your library.  Especially since you have read all of them at one time or another.  If we have enough interest expressed, we'll try to get Ivan Doig to join our discussion.

And Sheila - welcome to you!  Montana blood running somewhere in your veins - and an Indian agent and state Senator in the family too!  You'll read of the Indian agents in Montana here - and the Blackfeet Nations too.  So good to have you join us.  Aren't we lucky!  You can fill us in on the first book of the trilogy...

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »
Well, I gave up and ordered a paperback copy from Amazon at $0.01 (plus $3.99 S&H).

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
YESSSSS!

salan

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
I have the book.  I ordered it used from Amazon.  I plan on joining this discussion.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
We're happy to count you in our midst, Sally.  Welcome!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
There are several books with this title listed in my library; the latest being 2003.  There is one dated 1996 and 1987; I assume that this is a trilogy.  Need we read any of the others before reading the latest - being the one in 2003?

Sounds very interesting and of historical interest. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
Oh Ella, good, you'll be with us.  With your interest in history and experience  leading the discussion of  Empire of the Summer Moon and the Blackfeet Indians, you will love this book and add so much to our discussion.
Weren't we associated with an Indian tribe in Montana at one time, providing books to the children at the reservation school?  I sure miss my crashed computer - so much lost information!

Your question regarding the McCaskill Trilogy and Sheila's note that she had ordered all three, led me to do a little research on the three titles of the Trilogy:

English Creek- 1984
Dancing at the Rascal Fair - 1987
Ride with Me, Mariah Montana - 1990

Though English Creek was written first, the story takes place some 15 years after Dancing at the Rascal Fair.  Everyone indicates that Dancing is the one to read first.  (Did you hear that, Sheila?) Read Dancing first!  It is the beginning of the family saga.  This is the book that we will be reading and talking about here.

Welcome, Ella!

Aberlaine

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
I'd love to join you in August.  I have Dancing at the Rascal Fair high on my "books to read" list.  However, I'm reading The Help this month for my f2f book group and am working my way through the first three novels written by Michael Connelly.  Oh, and finishing Roses on my mp3 player.

So much to read, so little time!  ;)

Nancy

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
Nancy, it's great to hear that you will be joining us!  Do they still have those Evelyn Woods' speed reading courses?  Golly, that's some pile!  You'll have a busy July -  we're honored that you plan to join us in August!  Welcome!

serenesheila

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »
Though English Creek was written first, the story takes place some 15 years after Dancing at the Rascal Fair.  Everyone indicates that Dancing is the one to read first.  (Did you hear that, Sheila?) Read Dancing first!  It is the beginning of the family saga.  This is the book that we will be reading and talking about here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for this information, JOANP.  I have read the jackets of all three books.  Nothing indicates that "Dancing" comes first.  I just opened "English Creek" this morning.  However, I only got as far as the front map.  {: D

Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:39 PM »
Glad I caught you, Sheila...see you here in a few weeks!

Babi

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »
NARYZ, SHEILA, SALLY, NANCY, I'm delighted to see you will be joining us for the Rascal Fair. It is a great book, with so very much to talk about.
  Sorry to be so late coming in.  Somewhere along the line I missed the link.
 (I'm 'missing' more and more these days.)  Thankfully, JOANP is sharp
as ever!  Thanks, Joan.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Babi

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
  I'm having such a great time going through this book again.  Doig's
writing is so descriptive, his metaphors so humorous.  ELLA, I don't know
how I missed your post.  And ABERLAINE.  WELCOME!  You are all really
going to enjoy this book.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

barkster

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
I am new.  Sorry about my name.  Wish I could change it.  Looking forward to participating.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
Welcome to this discussion, Barkster!  Do you have a copy of the book?  We look forward to having you with us.
We'll get you some instructions for changing your name too.

Babi

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
 We're always happy to meet a new friend,  Barkster.  Tell us a bit about yourself, if you don't
mind.   We take it for granted you're a book lover;  you're in good company here.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »
Can't wait to get started...to get the boys across the sea to the USofA from Scotland~

Sheila - out of curiosity - do they use this map of Scotch Heaven in the front of English Creek as we find in Dancing at the Rascal Fair?

click illustration to enlarge

Babi

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
 And with Doig's wonderful descriptions,  we are able to envision this beautiful
 mountain country.  But only the hardy survive there year round.  Angus McCaskill,
like his creator,  falls in love with it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
Babi, do you remember some years ago when we were still SeniorNet - in 2006, I think - we had a huge  book drive for the children on the Blackfeet Reservation in Browning, Montana?  Weren't you involved with that at one time?  Such a coincidence, isn't it?  Our story by Ivan Doig takes place at Two Medicine Creek in Montana...
Do any of you remember this?

MaryZ - was this quote from you back then?

"John and I both have such a good time picking out all these books.  We're like kids turned loose in a candy shop. And we can't bear the thought of kids with no books to read. It was especially fun to pick up some of the biographies and the classics.  Believe me, it is OUR pleasure." -- MaryZ

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
I remember doing that.  We sent a couple of boxes, I think.  Unfortunately, as I remember the address label came off of one of them, and I hadn't been smart enough to put an inside address on it - so we never found out what happened to that box.  (The post office found the label and that's how we knew it was lost.)

We do love that part of the world - and haven't been back that way in a good while.  We were working on plans to go to Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies this fall, and then family weddings started getting scheduled, so.........  Maybe next spring.

salan

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
I am chomping at the bit to get started on Dancing.  When will you post the reading schedule? 
I love the idea of sending books to children who don't have them.  The school where I first taught was in a very small mostly Hispanic town.  There was no public library and the school didn't have the funds for a library.  The federal government came through with a grant and the principal and supertendent asked me to be in charge of selecting the books for the elementary library.  What a great summer I had, re-reading and reading new children's books.  It was even better the next year when I saw the children lovingly handle the books and the expression on their faces when they realized that they could actually check them out and take them home to read was priceless.  We don't realize how many children in our own country don't have the privileges that we too often take for granted.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »

MaryZ, doesn't that seem like such a long time ago?  2006!

Sally - will come back in this evening with the schedule -
More about the children of Browning, Montana later.  You are so right about how much they need and appreciate all the help we can give.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
For reading possibilities, we donate subscriptions to Smithsonian Magazine to two reservation schools and two small rural schools in our area.  Anything to put something to read in these small hands.

CallieOK

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
X   marking my spot   :)

Babi

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 08:56:49 AM »
 WELCOME, CALLIE!   You're in for a treat.  This is one of the best books I've read
in a long time.    It has everything!

dean69

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
What a fascinating story.  Have just finished reading the first chapter.  Will be joining you in August for the discussion.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »
Dean69, it's good to see you here - and ready to go. Callie - we knew you were on your way.  Welcome to both of you!

I'm so eager to learn more about homesteading.  Growing up in the East, our history was so different.  Flying over the western parts of the country, you see those rectangular divisions - clearly the land was divided by an assayer with precision instruments.  I imagine that was how the land was divided.  Is there anyone else here (besides Callie - and Babi) from the West?  Can you share what you know about homesteading - and the parcels of land that were given to the early settlers?  Are parcels of lands still available for those settling in Alaska - or have those days passed?

And Pat2, is that you with a name change?  I like it!   

Babi

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
 Later in the book you'll find more about the laying out of parcels of land and how they were
sold.  This link will tell you more about the role of the railroads in drawing settlers west.  The
railroad needed towns and people; there was no profit to be made without them.

http://homesteadcongress.blogspot.com/2010/01/all-aboard-homestead-trains-ho.html

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
Thanks for that link, Babi.  I think we should move it with us to the new discussion.  Will keep that date in mind -

"1862 saw the United States Congress pass two pieces of legislation, the Pacific Railroad Act and the Homestead Act, which dramatically opened up the west. "

Last night we saw a great production of Oklahoma! -     You might remember this production is set during the land rush in 1890's to
claim land in the twin territories of Oklahoma and Indian - right before OK became a state in 1907. - (thought of you, Callie. :D)

The "dancing' in this Oklahoma! production was outstanding!  The farmers and the ranchers put aside their differences for the barn-dancing. 
Can't wait to get into the book discussion on Monday!

Babi

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
 Dances were the primary social gathering for homesteaders, weren't they.  A fun time for the
whole family.  And then, when the area had enough farms, towns, ranches, the county fair
was introduced, harking back to the old harvest celebrations and fairs of Europe. I wonder how
the "Rascal" fair got it's name?   Perhaps for all the sharps, pickpockets and snake oil venders that showed up wherever there was a crowd?

CallieOK

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
JoanP,  glad you enjoyed the production of "Oklahoma".  The story is taken from "Green Grow The Lilacs", a novel by Lynn Riggs.  He was a college friend of my mother's. 
Touring productions are always amazed when Oklahoma audiences stand and join in singing the title song at the end. 

I've just started "Dancing At The Rascal Fair".  I think it's going to take a while for me to get into the "rhythm" of the writing - but I like it.

Babi

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
 You're going to love it, CALLIE.  For starters, think back to when you were 19 and both eager
and nervous about the possibilities of the future.  That may help you get into the opening rhythm.
  :)