Author Topic: Tempest, The ~ William Shakespeare - PREDISCUSSION  (Read 38606 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Tempest, The ~ William Shakespeare - PREDISCUSSION
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Please post below if you can join us on October 1.  :D

October Book Club Online
The Tempest, Shakespeare's last play, was written in 1611 in the final period of his career.   The play is not really a comedy, but  combines elements of tragedy with comedy, a tragicomedy.

Shakespeare set the play on an unnamed island in an unidentified age. In it, he  portrays an aging magician, Prospero,  who has been living in exile with his young daughter on a remote island for the past twelve years.

Over the course of a single day, Prospero uses his magic to whip up a tempest to shipwreck the men responsible for his banishment. He then proceeds to dazzle and dismay the survivors (and the audience) with his art as he orchestrates his triumphant return home where he plans to retire in peace.

For a lot of audiences and literary scholars, Prospero seems like a stand-in in for Shakespeare, who spent a lifetime dazzling audiences before retiring in 1611, shortly after The Tempest was completed. Its epilogue seems to be a final and fond farewell to the stage.

When Prospero (after giving up the art of magic he's spent a lifetime perfecting) appears alone before the audience he confesses, "Now my charms are all o'erthrown, / And what strength I have's mine own," we can't help but wonder of Shakespeare is speaking through this character here.
From multiple sources, including Shakespearean Criticism, Gale Cengage

Discussion Schedule
Act I October 1~7
Act II October 8~14
Act III October  15~21
Act IV October 22~28
Act V October 29~Nov.4

Relevant links:   BookTV: Hobson Woodward: A Brave Vessel

DLs: Barb,   JoanK , JoanP,  Marcie,  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Tempest by William Shakespeare
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

Welcome!

We're happy to announce the title selected by our readers last week for discussion in October - who could have been more popular than William Shakespeare himself!  We know there are many Shakespeare aficionados out there - some of you have read all of his plays - or at least, seen many of them.  And then there are those who never could get into them, but would like an opportunity to join our group and give The Tempest a try.  It is so much fun to share thoughts as a group!

The Tempest is the last play Shakespeare wrote - this is a kind of swan song, as you can read in the heading.  We welcome you - and your friends for what should prove to be a really rewarding experience!  Please consider joining us!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
Hurray - this is GOOD News - an exciting venture for October - now to locate a copy and get back into some of my Shakespeare history that for me always makes reading one of his plays a bit more enjoyable - That was quite a field of suggestions we had to choose from so The Tempest as the winner says a lot about our interest in pursuing the best... with everyone chipping in their thoughts this should be a great discussion.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
I'm a new "discussionist" and truly looking forward to my first reading of one of Mr. Will's writings.  My husband has always been the one that appreciated Shakespeare (since a class he took in college).  But, I love reading, depth, and am very analytical, so... should be a good fit.  ;D
...Servus sum? Schiavo suo? Ciao! :D

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Terrific - so glad you found us - looking forward to getting to know you - that seems to happen as we post - and please drop into some of the other discussion especially the Library where we are anything but shush as in a brick and stone library expects - we seem to chat about many of our life events and always it comes back to books which is our passion -

How exciting for us that you are going to be part of reading The Tempest - as you can see we start to read and discuss what we are reading in October however, if we act true to form we will all be sharing tidbits of information we find about the times when Will was writing this play - so pop in often there will be others to meet and early background information to read about...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
Welcome Linda!

I must have missed something. Not even a run off? Super choice.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
Hello there, Fry. That's right, no run-off needed this time.  The Tempest was the clear winner - with Pickwick Papers and Travels with Herdotus tied for second.   We'll keep those two in back pocket for future discussion sometime.

Welcome Linda!  As you hunt for an edition of The Tempest, I can highly recommend
the Folger Edition, having worked at the Folger Library for a number of years - in the bookstore.  I knew some of the scholars who researched and prepared the editions.  So much background information, footnotes,etc. included in the little paperbacks...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »
I'm excited to read THE TEMPEST with this group. I know I'll get a lot more out of it hearing your questions and insights.

Hello, Linda! It's great to welcome a newcomer to our book discussions. I'm glad you'll be joining us.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 05:36:46 AM »
COUNT ME IN!

Babi

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:01 AM »
 Looking forward to spending my birthday in "The Tempest".   Ready to plunge in, "Full fathom
five..."!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »
Thank you all for the lovely welcome!
I have several editions of Shakespeare (from ancient hand-me-downs to A. L. Rowe's Annotated of 1988), and am sure that I will use them.  For my personal use during this discussion (since I read/study with pencil in hand), I ordered the 2002 Simply Shakespeare version of the "The Tempest."  It's designed with original and modern translation on facing pages, essays, backgrounds, descriptions, context, etc.... Was designed as an aid for students and educators, sooo, figured it would be helpful.  I'm looking forward to learning from all the great input.
Wow! I see by all your profiles that you have quite a history together....I'm humbled (smile). 

nlhome

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
I'm going to try to participate. I've read - studied - the Tempest in college and enjoyed it. We'll see how rereading it goes. My reading time is limited in the fall.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »
kidsal, babi and nlhome, I'm looking forward to your participation. It should be fun reading or re-reading this magical play together.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
"If by your art, my dearest father, you have put the wild waters in this roar, allay them!" 1.2.1-2

Talk about topical! :D  After watching Weather Channel coverage of the sea surge caused by Isaac...I located my copy of The Tempest - and this line by Miranda to her father, Prospero in the first act,  jumped out at me!

Linda - it's great that you have ordered an edition with lots of extra resources.  We'll turn to you when we need help untangling Shakespeare's word puzzles or unfamiliar words/expressions.  I think you'll enjoy these discussions - there are no tests - we merely try to understand in order to better appreciate what we are reading.

nlhome, it's good to see you here. Don't worry about timing - we aren't planning a quick read.  There are five acts; we'll probably spend a week on each one - unless we feel the need to speed up or slow down.

kidsal, your nose is counted...and Babi, we'll have to plan a Tempest-themed birthday party for you!  

I'll echo Marcie's welcome to all!

Babi

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »
 Oh, splendid, JOAN.  Thank you so much.   ( I love chocolate...or carrot cake. ;D )
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JudeS

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
I will be joining you.
The N.Y.City school system had in it's curriculum,when I was a child, the rule that we read Shakespeare    from 5th through 12th grade.
In 5th we learned his Sonnets. In 6th- 12th we read a play a year.
However "The Tempest" was not part of the curriculum.
As an adult I have seen many plays by Mr. S, but again, "The Tempest" was not among them.
After so many years it will be a delight to read Shakespeare's final play.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
I can't wait to read The Tempest with this group of intelligent people. I read it many decades ago, and remember feeling that there was a lot there that I was simply missing. Not with this group -- we may get wet, but we will plumb the depths. (You can see why I'm not a poet!)

Now to decide whether to go with Simply Shakespeare or the Folger edition. Hmmm.

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
I'm due to receive my "Simply Shakespeare" (ordered) shortly...will post whether it seems to be all that it advertised itself to be.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
The folger edition is available from amazon new for $1.86 plus shipping. So I ordered that, and I can get the simple version too, if I want.

I have a complete shakespeare on my kindle, too. (cost $1 or $1.99, I forget). Not as good for notes, I imagine.

I LOVE having so many books at my fingertips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 12:50:16 AM »
JoanK, thanks for that information about the Folger edition. I'm glad that you're among the discussion leaders. Jude, it sounds like you have had a lot of experience reading Shakespeare. Your thoughtful reflections will be a great addition to our discussion.

Babi

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »
 Not to mention Jude's sometimes whimsical observations and asides.  Those can be so much fun!

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
I've changed my profile picture...thought i'd be more believeable as a REAL person, as opposed to a happy-faced hippie...giggle!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
In our hearts we will think of you as the happy face hippie fantasized for our eye - nice real photo - you sure have a welcoming face and - the red shirt with a white collar - sharp - reminds me of summer when everything feels possible...  :-*

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
LOL...Now all can recognize me in passing.  Minus the headband, there's not alot of difference!!  Glad the welcome attitude shows through.  ;D

Babi

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
   Oh, I like the happy-looking real person picture, LINDA.  You are obviously going
to be great fun to know.  :)

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »
Looking forward to getting to know everyone...and for October to be here so we can begin The Tempest!
Linda

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
Am currently reading Les Miserables (Hugo)...
It's my third time in 25 years and can definitely say that it is my all-time favorite book!!!  Decided to reread it in preparation for the release of the movie musical. I've seen the stage musical four times and am anxious to have access to it on a DVD.  I feel that Victor Hugo was one of the more modern classical genii.  
Let's see, how many years of book discussions would that take up?  ???
Linda

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
Goodness that is a monster size book - I wonder if it shares a similar number of pages to read as War and Peace

I wonder what is the longest Shakespeare Play - does anyone Know - I hear King Lear is a challenge for actors since the King is on stage through most of the Play but I have never heard what Play is the longest.

I am excitedly waiting for a delivery of a book I ordered - haven't been this excited in years but it hit me that this Play was written after the first Colony in America was established and wondered how that event may have affected Plays written by Shakespeare - sure enough there is a book that I ordered a used copy and waiting impatiently for it to be delivered - Shakespeare's The Tempest, its Political Implications and the First Colonists of Virginia - not sure from the title or the write up if it was Shakespeare affecting the first Colonists or the Colonists affecting Shakespeare but we shall see what we shall see when the book is delivered and I can corner myself on my sofa for a read.

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
Sounds like that book will provide some wonderful discussions points for October!
I had an ancestor that was a sea captain between London and Virginia during the early 1600's, now we're entering HIS world...
Linda

Jonathan

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
What a fine choice from that select list. THE TEMPEST according to my source has 2275 lines.

Shakespeare's shortest, THE COMEDY OF ERRORS, has 1786 lines.

His longest is HAMLET, with 4024 lines. Remember him? The young man who couldn't make up his mind? What a challenge for the playwright.

I have a book I haven't read; but it looks good. A BRAVE VESSEL, by Hobson Woodward. 2009. It's subtitle is: A Brave Vessel. The true tale of the castaways who rescued Jamestown and inspired Shakespeare's THE  TEMPEST.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
Ah so now we have it - the true story that inspired Shakespeare from the adventures in the Americas - what a buried bit of history - Thanks Jonathan - how did you know - had you studied this play or are the early days of this land part of your knowledge bank?

Of course I had to order a copy at only a penny but then actually less or more according to how you look at the cost of shipping - Amazon had a good used copy for less than the cost of shipping than the one for a penny - I love it already that we are finding out about a time in history that must be as adventurous as those who have been in rapture with the Space program during our lifetime.

It will be fascinating to see how Shakespeare weaves a tale from the bit of knowledge he had of what happened to William Strachey. the Sea Venture, Stephen Hopkins and who knows all the characters involved.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
Jonathan!  It's amazing that you have that book in hand!  By coincidence I was recently reading about it.  This should be an invaluable resource for this discussion!

I came in today with this link to   an article put out by the Folger Shakespeare Library  - an article that contains a letter from  William Strachey who survived the 1609 storm (tempest?) that destroyed the Sea Venture.

"The five hundred potential colonists in nine ships that departed England in early June 1609 expected to sail north of Bermuda on their westward route from the Canary Islands to Virginia. When they were several days short of their destination, a massive hurricane scattered the fleet. One vessel sank; seven ships straggled into Jamestown, weeks overdue. The flagship Sea Venture, carrying the fleet's admiral, Sir George Somers, and Virginia's new governor, Sir Thomas Gates, never arrived at Jamestown and was presumed to have been lost."

Shakespeare saw this letter  the year before he began to write The Tempest - everyone in London was talking about it.  By the way, the Folger Library in DC owns this letter.  Can you figure out how to enlarge it so that we can read it?  (Maybe we couldn't read it even if it is enlarged. :D)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
Wow JoanP I had no idea - here the most revered name in English Literature had a connection with what happened in America - my jaw still has not found its place...

Frybabe

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
Below the two explanatory paragraphs there is a link to "Read Strachey's Letter >>".  It is apparently a long one. I haven't read it yet, but it is more than five pages long.

Babi

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
 We'll be waiting on that one, BARB. I never thought of connecting Shakespeare
with the time of American colonization. Silly of me. After all, Sir Walter Raleigh
and Elizabeth II are prominent enough in early colonial history.
  Ah, more from Jonathan.  The castaways that rescued Jamestown? Okay, if I ever
knew that,it got lost.  Something to research before October. (Probably, like,
today.)   :)
 JOAN, I note that the article states the letter has been somewhat amended as
to spelling and punctuation, to make it easier to read. Now, if we could just
find a readable copy...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »
Babi, the link on the bottom of JoanP's page shows the text of Strachey's letter. Can you read that?

Here's how to enlarge the text in Internet Explorer: http://www.ehow.com/how_5213571_quickly-images-using-internet-explorer.html

If you are on a Mac, just press the Apple key and the plus sign on the keyboard at the same time, repeatedly until you have the size you want.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
Oh good, I shall look forward to this.
I have always found the Folger editions to be excellent.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
I did it. The problem is, as you enlarge it, it gets fuzzier, but I was able to makeout a few sentances without my glasses. This is amazing -- I always learn stuff I never dreamed of when I discuss things with you guys.

reading the tempest scene, I have to admit, Shakespeares beautiful language is less suited to sailors trying to save their ship than elsewhere.

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
The original Strachey letter, that reached London in 1610, was published in 1625.  However, Shakespeare first published The Tempest in 1623...thus, indicating that he had access to a copy of the original letter.  Also, he may have drawn on additonal reports of the same shipwreck via Sylvester Jourdain's The Discovery of the Bermudas published in 1610.  (Simply Shakespeare under The Tempest's Sources).

Art Hippy

• LINDA
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »
I should say, "copies" of the original Strachey letter reached London in 1610...