Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012  (Read 152196 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012: Downton Abbey
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »

Masterpiece Classic 2012 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

April 15, 2012
      The Mystery of Edwin Drood
      An adaptation and completion of Charles Dickens' last novel left unfinished at the halfway mark at his death, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood is a psychological thriller about a provincial choirmaster's obsession with 17-year-old Rosa Bud and the lengths he will go to to attain her. Cast includes Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters) and Julia MacKenzie (Miss Marple).

COMING

April 22 & 29, 2012 at 9pm
      Birdsong
      An adaptation of Sebastian Faulk's novel about lovers torn apart by World War I. Eddie Redmayne (The Pillars of the Earth) plays Stephen Wrayford, whose pre-war affair with Isabelle Azaire (Clemence Poesy, Harry Potter films) has an enduring effect on him as he fights in the trenches.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

April 1 & 8, 2012
      Great Expectations
      Widely considered one of the greatest novels by Charles Dickens, Great Expectations tells the story of Pip the battered orphan boy, who rises from blacksmith's apprentice to gentleman under the patronage of a mysterious benefactor, who assures him of "great expectations." Starring Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Ray Winstone.

February 26, 2012
One 90-minute episode
     The Old Curiosity Shop
     A teenage girl and her grandfather lose everything to a maniacal moneylender and flee his relentless pursuit. Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius) stars as Grandfather, with Sophie Vavasseur (Northanger Abbey) as Nell and Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Quilp.

January 8 to February 19, 2012
      Downton Abbey Season 2
      Downton Abbey season 2 resumes the story of aristocrats and servants in the tumultuous World War I era. The international hit is written by Julian Fellowes and stars Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern, and Hugh Bonneville, plus a drawing room full of new actors, portraying the loves, feuds, and sacrifices of a glittering culture thrown into crisis. Watch all episodes online through March 6 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Primetime Emmy Award® winning Downton Abbey season one returns December 18 & 25, 2011 and January 1, 2012. (Check local listings.)

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »
Aha mystery solved - thanks MaryPage
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

roshanarose

« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2012, 12:50:03 AM »
MaryPage - I do remember when John Glenn went over and my family did turn its lights on to illuminate part if his journey, along with millions of others..

I remember when the Russians launched Sputnik.  We all stood outside on a very starry night trying to work out the where the "star" was that was moving in an arc.  At the moment we saw it, my cat had kittens:  we kept one and gave the others away.  No prizes for guessing the kitten's name we kept - Sputnik - Sputty for short.

I also remember when JFK was assassinated.  About 5.00am I woke up with a start and turned on my transistor, only to hear that shocking news.  I never wake early.

There is a most delightful Australian movie I am sure you and others here would enjoy.  It is called "The Dish" with Sam Neill. It is about one of those dishes they put up to search space and is based on a true story, ie Neil Armstrong's first steps on the Moon.  It has one of my favourite movie moments in it, but I won't tell so as not to spoil it for you.

http://thedishmovie.warnerbros.com/

Ever since WWII Australia has enjoyed a close bond with the US.  Long may it last!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31:08 AM »
I think radio telescopes are beautiful (no accounting for taste). I always wanted on for my backyard. When traveling down route 15, I used to love passing the big line of dishes down in Fredrick, Maryland.  They have since built buildings between them and the highway which obscured them.

The movie is unknown to me, MaryPage. I will have to look into it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
Babi, looks like  plenty of great translations and also some interesting info presented here on the poem. Lovely discussion on it.

I read the Sunday Times (UK) on my IPAD and they had an article about Downton Withrdawal and it said ready for another? Apparently Upstairs Downstairs is starting in the UK, but not here. It will be interesting to see if that series holds up, I've spent so much time with this one all I can remember is the monkey,  and that only vaguely.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
We watched the first episode of the new series of Upstairs Downstairs last Sunday and we all got bored and went to bed.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
I  just checked the tv listings for my PBS station and "The Old Curiosity Shop" will not be showing on Masterpiece Classic this evening. Instead, all three hour-long episodes of the "Upstairs Downstairs"  'sequel' will be broadcast this evening.

LOL, Ginny, all I remember of the episodes is Solomon, the monkey, too. I don't even remember if I liked it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #367 on: February 26, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
Oh Marcie, don't take my word for it!  I think I have too many memories of the original series to enjoy this one, and my daughters just couldn't get into it - Anna felt Keeley Hawes was awfully wooden, and we none of us think Alex Kingston can act, I'm afraid - but you might see it quite differently - let us know!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Oh you are talking about the new Upstairs Downstairs that is a continuation of the old one - yes, we saw that last summer or early fall and where there were a few good scenes by and large it was dull - as I recall there is a flair up between Keeley Hawes character and the husband and husband's mother - forgot who played the parts but except for the head housekeeper who was a matured actress from the original they were all simply going through their paces. No spark - nothing to remember - I am looking forward to this version of Curiosity Shop 'Brother Cadfael' Derek Jacobi playing the grandfather.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »
I think that "The Old Curiosity shop" is going to be on our Station tonight.  At the Moment watching the Red Carpet.  Now last weeks Downton Abbey is on from 6:30 until 8pm and then the Old Curiosity Shop.  Will see.

mabel1015j

« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:39 PM »
OCS is on our PBS station.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #371 on: February 26, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
It is on here and I just had to walk out of the room when they are in the Tavern and he is asking her for their money - errrr I get squeamish and hate it when it seems obvious that a wrong is going to be done...ouch er er ouch stop I will have a cup of tea and go back in later.

Frybabe

« Reply #372 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
A lot of wimpy behavior. Nell barely said a word and only alluded to her Grandfather's habit. I liked the program, but didn't like the ending (for Nell) so much. Would have liked to have seen more of Zoe Wanamaker, but wasn't she marvelous? What a splash of color in a mostly gray world. I also liked the shot of Nell and Grandfather sitting by the road when they first fled surrounded with all that green. Lovely. It dawns on me that Nell's brother didn't show up at the end, even though his friend managed to get himself married. Is that explained in the book?

Babi

« Reply #373 on: February 27, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »
  They didn't explain the 'whole story' on the tardily returned son and father, either.  Apparently
he made his fortune, but it wasn't any help to his poor daughter.  My favorite characters were
Kit and his mother.  The Brass brother and sister were so typically Dickens, I think I would have
recognized their origin anywhere.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #374 on: February 27, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
I didn't watch Masterpiece last night.  Was it a One night only show?  I read the book years ago in School.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #375 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »
It did appear to be just the one show - based on the older PBS version that ran several episodes this had to have been a truncated version. I started to watch but Derek Jacobi was so convincing in his obsession to gamble I just could not watch.  Seeing that kind of connection to an obsession turns me inside out.

Babi

« Reply #376 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »
  It was indeed a very truncated version.  So many characters and side plots dropped. 
 Nell, I fear, did not come across too realistically.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »
Well, that explains it then. A lot was left out.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
As a non sequitur, something interesting happened to me last night when previewing a film for my face to face classes, from the Discovery Channel on Pompeii: The Last Day or something like that. They've chosen to dramatize it as if it were a family and I kept looking at the father, and listening to him talk, he's got a distinctive voice, and guess who it was?

The Butler on Downton!! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa I knew I had seen him before, what a hoot! Oh man.  Too bad I'm not showing it to the class after all,  but it IS a hoot. Maybe I will show the first bit of it and see if they can figure out who it is!

Simon Callow, whom we discussed here before,  has written a very moving story of his mother's dementia. I did not know he was a writer, too. He seems a man for many seasons. I like his work immensely. (He did  the Julian Fellows part in the spoof).

I am really sorry to read that the new installment of  Upstairs, Downstairs , the new one which did not show here but I was all atwitter,  is boring. It was somewhat boring the first go round, if one is honest,  but I think nostalgia carried many of us thru,  picking up this or that reference.

The first one was a revelation and many of us were hooked on it as we were Brideshead  Revisited.  I think we miss that type of thing and are glad to see it coming back, especially in these economic times,  and the new Downton.

They need to time Upstairs Downstairs better,  to appear when Downton is not such a fresh memory,  so we can get used to it,  also,  and recall the characters more vividly. So we can also be as interested in it.

Perhaps play it over and over like they do here anyway with Downton, which, despite being well loved, is also somewhat ludicrous. I mean you can't get away from that.  I like it, but I also find self bursting out laughing in the wrong places, (or maybe it's intended) and the ending was too pat. Too convenient, poor saintly Lavinia, gone in a poof.   That and the ending and the disappearance again of Patrick kind of spoils the willing suspension of disbelief.

And there can be two, stately upstairs/ downstairs period pieces going (after all, who started the genre?) without having to compete with  each other. The presence of more than one beautiful woman in the room does not diminish any others:  it should only enhance them. The producers and publicists of Upstairs Downstairs need to work harder, or so I think. I am loving comparing it to the old one, I'm surprised what I see in the old Upstairs/ Downstairs, on the old tapes, now, too.

Nobody will ever beat Gordon Jackson (Hudson) or Mrs. Bridges (Angela Baddeley) tho the new cook in Downton is VERY good.  Angela Baddeley had a 63 year career on stage, I am shocked to learn and  Gordon Jackson was in the Alistair Sim Christmas Carol movie, in the  Minister's  Cat party scene at the last at Fred's house. Again kind of a nice surprise to recognize him.

I'm finding the recommended novel  The Shooting Party to sort of be tiresome. I'm afraid to use the word boring, but it is. It purports to be what one should read of the genre, the real thing, if one likes Downton Abbey.  It's real enough that one  can see why Princess Diana hated such things in real life:  I'm with her. I think I'll try one of the other recommendations. :)

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #379 on: February 28, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »
Ginny - I don't know if you've seen this article, which suggests a few other Downton-era novels:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/russell-smith/downton-fever-these-books-came-first/article2331216/

I've only read The Go-Between; it's wonderful.

Rosemary

MaryPage

« Reply #380 on: February 29, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »
Here's to that friendship lasting forever, Roshanarose.  I will try to see The Dish.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: February 29, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
I meant to say I plan to see it, too. I hope I can someday see my current Netflix films which have been out for ages and return them. I've put The Dish on my list and it looks wonderful.

There was a movie I loved years ago for TV starring Linda Lavin and Lane Smith, it was a true story about a woman whose husband had always wanted to run a sheep ranch and they moved or I should say he sent HER ahead to Australia with the 10 was it 10 children as he was tied up with business and she had to carve the sheep ranch out of nothing, it was very inspiring, the more so because it was true. And you guessed it, he did not come, that is, he came once but it was obvious he did not intend to stay. She became a nun after the last child grew up. It was called A Place to Call Home. It's not available much anywhere  but I somehow got a copy and I love it.

Rosemary, no I had not seen the list but any list with Remains of the Day on it got my attention, I think it's one of the best books I've ever read, so I made quite a long list of things to get from that list  and The Go-Between is on the top. You always have the best recommendations!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
It looks like Masterpiece Classic won't be on again until April, when it resumes with a new adaptation of GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

What is showing at your local PBS this Sunday? It looks like mine will broadcast Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
This week we get another look at Downton - next week the Phantom is on in the afternoon and we have Wayne Deyer all evening - the third week we have Les Mis in Albert Hall and the fourth week of March we have back to back the entire Oliver Twist. Realizing these PBS versions of Dickens are truncated I will watch for atmosphere and scenery and realize to enjoy the story and the incredible writing ability of Dickens it is best to read the book.

Frybabe

« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
My local PBS is showing a Peter, Paul and Mary anniversary thing. The following week will be a big band thing. I won't be surprised if this is another begging for dollars two week schedule. The last two weeks of March aren't scheduled yet.

CallieOK

« Reply #385 on: March 01, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
March 1 - 18 is "Fund Raising" on our PBS station.  Right now, none of the "premiere" shows listed after that particularly appeal to me.

salan

« Reply #386 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
Judging from what is on the next two weeks, I feel sure that we are having ANOTHER pledge drive.  If it is like the other drives; it will last all month.  I think PBS has too many pledge drives and they seem to last for an entire month.  Most of what that show are repeats of repeats.  I support PBS financially; but make sure it is NOT during the pledge drive and I let them know how I feel, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012
« Reply #387 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
I agree. I think that we'll be having a pledge drive too.

I am looking forward to seeing the adaptation of Great Expectations in April. This version has been nominated in Great Britain for "best drama series" by the Broadcasting Press Guild TV Awards. The BPG awards are highly prized by program-makers because they are selected independently, by journalists who write about TV and radio – correspondents, critics and previewers.  Gillian Anderson also is nominated as best actress. Read more about the BPG awards at http://www.broadcastingpressguild.org/2012/02/23/shortlists-announced-for-broadcasting-press-guild-tv-awards/

While we are waiting for Masterpiece Classic to resume, let's continue to talk about any PBS program that we see and we also can revisit any of our favorite programs from the past.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:04 AM »
Marcie, I loved that Gillian Anderson version of Great Expectations, but not everyone did.  I thought she was brilliant, as was Ray Winstone  ;D and David Suchet, but some people complained that Anderson 'overacted'.  Personally I thought she nailed Miss Havisham to a tee (?tea?).

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Rosemary, I'm glad that you liked the Great Expectations adaption. I'm inclined to like anything with Gillian Anderson since I was an "X-Files" fan  ;)

I was wondering why she was doing "English" parts so I looked up her bio and find that, though she was born in the U.S., she lived from about age 2 to age 11 in England because her father took the family there so he could attend the London Film School.

I love the photo of Gillian Anderson in the image from the series.

It looks like there may be another adaptation of Great Expectations in the near future, with Helena Bonham Carter as Miss Havisham. See http://filmonic.com/first-images-of-helena-bonham-carter-as-miss-havisham-in-great-expectations

rosemarykaye

« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2012, 10:44:25 AM »
I feel unreasonably prejudiced against that, as Helena Bonham Carter just annoys me.  Probably because she's successful, beautiful, clever, rich and all that jazz  ;D  I will try to re-open my mind....

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: March 02, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »
Helena Bonham Carter is very odd but I do like her. I think of her as sort of a female Johnny Depp, whom I like very much.  :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #392 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »
Oh I do like him  ;)!  I don't know what it is about her - I suppose I sort of feel she gets her roles because she is married, or not married?, to Tim Burton.  She's sort of self-consciously cooky.  As I said before, it's just jealousy really....though I don't think I'd like to be married to Mr Burton.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »
I thought that she had children with Tim Burton but not married to him.  I don't think I would want to be either.I sort of like her.  Love to have her hair.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2012, 02:42:34 AM »
I saw Helena in a few things (she's been in a lot of films!) before she started working with Tim Burton. I liked her in A Room with a View, Howard's End, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Mighty Aphrodite, and The Wings of the Dove. She does seem more "kooky" when I've glimpsed her just being "herself" at award functions. Maybe she is more comfortable playing roles?

Babi

« Reply #395 on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »
I wouldn't have recognized Gillian Anderson at all from that photo. I always associate
her with that lovely red hair.
  The picture of HBC as Miss Havisham is much spookier.  I really know nothing about her. I checked, and it would seem I haven't seen most of the films she has been in. I did see "The King's Speech", and thought she did very well in that.

MaryPage

« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
I just cannot help my gut instincts.  Pardon me for putting it so bluntly, but it does come down to the stomach and gut feelings.  In my case, and probably in most of yours, this atavistic primal feeling coming directly from the reptilian portion of the brain kicks in when meeting up with or viewing on the screen a person for the first time.

Sometimes we change our first impressions to come to like someone we first shrink from.  Sometimes we come to distrust someone who beguiles us at first.  It is a mix, at best;  but over 82 years I have come to trust my ancestral genes.

Helena Bonham Carter I have never liked.  I have tried.  I will admit she is a wonderful actress, and I have seen almost everything she has ever made.  But some deep instinct makes me dislike her.  Rather intensely!  Probably looks like someone who killed my great, great, great grandmother, or something.  Anyway, as Susan of the Avonlea books would say:  to me she is not "of the tribe of Joseph!"

Babi

« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
  I have come to trust my instincts, too, MARYPAGE.  I do, though, try to keep an open and
impartial mind and not pass any final judgments on anyone until I have some evidence one way
or another.  As you say, some immediate dislikes are rooted in incidents/persons that we have
pretty much forgotten otherwise.
  Having said that, I can say that on three occasions in my long life, I have observed a newly
engaged couple, and felt that there was something wrong there. Nothing overt, just a gut
response to body language, I believe.  In all three instances, the marriages did not last very
long. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: March 04, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
Here is some info on The Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall which will be shown on my PBS station tonight.

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/news/latest-news/the-phantom-of-the-opera-at-the-royal-albert-hall

I never heard of Ramin Karimloo, who stars as the Phantom (the youngest person to play the Phantom-- he is 33). He's certainly a good-looking phantom!  
http://www.raminofficial.com/gb/gallery/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »
Rosemarykaye.

Over the weekend I watched about 8 hours of the Series "Lark rise to Candleford" Season three.  Loved it.  My fathers family  all from Birch Vale. Derbyshire .  I have been doing Ancestry research for past 6 year and have photo's of the Area they lived and worked in from 1800.  Great Grandparents married 1856.  The homes and building in Birch Vale and the Town of Candleford looked just about the same.  Found myself picturing my family all growing up like those people. Dressed the same. Living the same.  Such fun.  That whole area of Derbyshire is so beautiful. ( I know that Candleford was suppose to be close to Oxford.).

Makes one wish they had lived back then. (Maybe for a short time). Would have liked to have met my GGrands. They had nine children but seemed to have had such a happy life together.
I now have to see if there is a Series four and five.