Author Topic: Gardening by the Book  (Read 9282 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Gardening by the Book
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »
While at Farm Fleet for my bulk bird seed, I bought another feeder...yes, like I need another one...but...why not?  This one is for the cardinals and whoever else likes safflower seeds and hearts of sunflower seeds.  I also saw 2 young deer coming up toward my back yard from the backwater of the river this morning.  They stopped short of my yard, and went through the bushes to the north.  They may have been heading to a guy who feeds the deer on the other side of the state highway in front of my house.  That's a good way for the deer to get killed by the car and large livestock trucks that use that highway.  Then I saw two bald eagles soaring on the wind currents over the river as I headed out to Farm Fleet.  Nice nature morning here.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
 Bald eagles! Wow. Like a nature show!!

Bird feeders! I wish I could fill one of them without dumping it all over myself.  I just did mine tonight, got it all over EVERYTHING . They are so high up. I need to look into a pole which telescopes. If there is a wild bird flu I ought to be dead of it. It's amazing how it gets all over everything.

It's like spring today, beautiful outside. Daffodils are blooming. Spring!! In this area when you get such a day  you move fast because in a short time it's like 90 degrees. Conversely we've had some mammoth ice storms in March.

We don't have Farm Fleet but we've got several feed and seeds, and we have Tractor Supply.

I also want another bird feeder, for bluebirds, we have them all year long. I just can't find the right one, all the ones recommended have people who say they don't work, and the big birds drive them off.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2022, 09:43:42 AM »
We’re in whiplash territory..5 degrees this morning, then 50s tomorrow, then down again.  Most snow is gone, except for big piles from clearing lots, etc. 

Spring a long way off.  March is our snowiest month. 

Jane

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2022, 01:58:52 PM »
Brrr.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2022, 11:28:40 AM »
 Yes and it's so strange here as well. It's been in the 70's, it's to be 80 next week and yet...and yet... our worst ice storms normally occur about the Ides of March here.  I am not doing anything, and there's nothing to plant available yet. Of course you then have almost no time to get the poor plants in the ground before the searing heat when they have little to no chance.

I'm also going to have to make a habit of a weekly trip to Lowes here.  Apparently according to the help there,  they bring in plants "which are blooming,"  and take them out just as quickly, so one HERE does not want to be looking on Saturdays,  and I want some more of their Chicago  Apache Daylilies because last year the two pitiful struggling ones I got on sale as they were removing them (no bloom) continued to bloom the most gorgeous colors, you can't capture them in a photo, they are  beacons from a great distance,  way way into the fall. And  the price is 4 times higher among the daylily  companies, but you have to know when to strike Lowes while the iron is hot.  :)

In other areas, my youngest son is putting up the 2nd bird feeder, this one for bluebirds, and he got the pole from Amazon.com and I think you could hang ME on it, it's tremendously strong (shepherd's crook type) and much nicer than the one I now have from Lowes.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2022, 06:25:16 PM »
Congratulations on having a handy son who can get those suckers solidly into the ground. 

Not close to planting anything, though WalMart has bulbs in the store.  Snow expected tonight and tomorrow.

Weather always turns ugly at this time...state girls' and boys' basketball tournaments. 

80s??? Incredible.

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2022, 06:54:11 PM »
Yes but it's already almost too late to do anything, without planting in severe heat and having to water continually, it's alternated so between cold and frost but I can't complain, because just  look at what met me Friday when I came home, it's just burst into bloom, my little Covid Garden.

It won't come as a surprise to anybody that I have not  TOUCHED this garden since the first frost of fall,  because of the way it looks, and thus am way way behind. When  you haven't even lifted one finger and get to see THIS, it's was such a day brightener.

Apparently our zone for gardening has been changed to 8a. I did not know what this meant, particularly, but one thing it seems to mean is that snapdragons, and this is the antirrhinum, a true annual, can be perennial under certain conditions and they are absolutely a dream.   Up close some of them are bicolor, just gorgeous.

AND for the very first time, and you can't see it here, but way at the back there's a large yellow (2 today) bloom of a peony called Bartzilla. One one of our family trips to Biltmore we spotted a magnificent specimen of it, incredible plant, an Itoh peony, which the directions said could be grown in  a pot for a while. It's been several years but I found a seller and bought one and this is the first year it's bloomed and that also Friday! Two blooms today. Friday was a good day!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2022, 07:33:42 PM »
WOW....Nothing planted here...still too cold and freeze at night.  Can't plant anything until May 12 and only a few things are popping through the ground...hostas and daffs.

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2022, 10:34:56 AM »
And it just keeps going, it's kind of like the Energizer Bunny, the poor thing has had nothing whatsoever done to it, watering, pruning, fertilizing, anything else and we're in something of a drought. . I strained my knee and have done nothing. The other side, the porch side that is not visible, is likewise all in bloom, in pots,  it's amazing. All the dahlias have come back up. It's just taken over on its own,  even the lawnmower is in the shop, so gardening wise I get an F, but it keeps on. And this is exactly the clutterscape type of garden I love.  Never saw anything like it here.

These were a gift from my DIL and son one year for my birthday, I think, and they planted it some years ago but it got out of hand so they pruned it last year.  I had favored one of those garlands on heavy rope like at Queen Mary's Rose Garden in Regent's Park, and I thought no bloom would be left. Shows you what I know. hahahaa

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2022, 12:31:56 PM »
WOW....looks like a gardening magazine's cover shot. 

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2022, 09:45:13 AM »
HO!! Thank you, that's a first in my gardening life. hahaha

How is yours coming along? I didn't get my strawberry and vanilla (can't ever remember the name) hydrangeas pruned, in fact NO hydrangea has been pruned and I am half afraid to see what happens to them.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2022, 05:45:05 PM »
My back garden looks awful.  The landscapers who usually come and clean up have been injured...rotator cuff for the mother, back for the son who fell somehow.  So many plants never made it because of the 3 walnut trees that were along the edge, but I couldn't convince Ray of that.  Those trees are now gone, but I'm not sure the roots still don't poison the plants.  I pruned/cut my hydrangeas myself.  Lots of hostas doing well...that seems to be the only thing that does well in the back area....so be it.  I hope for a lot of balloon flowers come July. 

The front and side are all perennials and so they'll do what they do.  I just can't get down and plant flats of flowers like we used to. 

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2022, 06:56:09 PM »
That sounds bad!!  Rotator cuff, and back, two things that don't exactly inspire confidence for the future.  So sorry!

Hostas are gorgeous, however.

Hopefully somebody else will come in and fill in the gaps?

Is that black walnut trees? We have some in the woods,  not near any flowers, though, thank goodness. We have noticed that nothing much in the way of seedlings grows under them.

I  feel realy remiss that all those  hydrangeas of mine  are not pruned,  and the irrigation hose was never put in the garden above, and set up, I absolutely HATE "dragging hoses," hate it!

I kept waiting for the  "right time," but the weather changed so drastically  this spring,  and the  couple of days available I had something else that needed to take priority, it's too late now.

I think perennials are definitely the way to go!  They are SO pretty. I planted a lot of them last year in the new long bed, and am looking forward to them coming up.   IF the groundhogs will let me have any, that is.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
My landscaper guy came this morning and has been hard at work.  He's getting the weeds out, leaving the balloon flowers I like, and getting mulch down. 

He said what I'd done with the hydrageas was fine, as long as I wanted them to be bushier.  I'd just cut the old blossoms off. Otherwise he'd trim that a bit further down.  I like them bushier, so they're good. 

The Chinese lanterns are so invasive, they've taken over the side bed.  He's going to spray those to get rid of them.  They're just too much.

https://www.thespruce.com/chinese-lantern-plants-2132369

Then, next year, we'll look at other perennials we can plant in there.

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2022, 04:38:08 PM »
ANOTHER landscaper?  Where do you find all of them??!!?? I'd be happy with ONE! hahhaa

Those rhizome plants are really something. I have an acanthus I'd have loved to have moved and they run by rhizomes, I'd love to have a huge  spread of them, they are so pretty when controlled, but apparently it's hard to do.

And I have the spinosa variety which is what it sounds like so the deer etc., tend to leave it alone.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2022, 12:53:47 PM »
The landscape guy appeared yesterday and worked all day, helped by his mother who came about noon, after being in CR for pain shots in her shoulder and knee. 

They performed miracles and things look so much better.  Nothing blooming yet...the balloon flowers won't bloom until July.  The mulch is down and everything looks so clean and nice.  Now I hope for some rain today.  Mom (Ingrid) said she's 65 now and is tired of doing patios and water features.  She said she's ready for having maybe 10 customers and just doing 6 week maintenance for them.  I told her to sign me up. 

It's almost impossible to find these people.  We are longtime customers, so they just come automatically every spring and fall....but they didn't make it last year.

I'm so glad to have them. 

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2022, 06:23:35 PM »
 Sign me up, too! Is it too far to commute? hahahaha

I keep reading British mysteries where the local yard man comes in and does his thing and nobody thinks anything of it. Apparently the neighborhoods are full of these people, Monday is XX's day and Tuesday is Y's....and so on.

I know it looks beautiful and is a joy to see!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
There's a new gardening show called Garden Rescue on a channel called DIGI free to view on computer, have reported on the first episode I saw here in the Library: https://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=881.msg429281#msg429281

I'd like to know what you all  think about the design.

:)

https://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=881.msg429281#msg429281

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2022, 08:28:30 AM »
To continue the discussion on sumac,  in the Library, there appear to be two kinds:

Not Poisonous

Unlike its close relatives, poison ivy, oak and sumac, the landscape sumacs do not cause itchy rashes. Vine- and shrub-like poison ivy and oak have three distinct leaflets per leaf, so there is no confusing those. But poison sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) is also a small tree with leaves like regular sumac. Difference is, poison sumac has clusters of grayish white berries that hang down, and the plants grow exclusively in low, wet, or flooded areas such as swamps and peat bogs. You will not find poison sumac growing up on high, dry hillsides where non-poisonous ornamental kinds typically grow.

It was an African garden which I thought turned out to be very colorful....I still would like to see a Return to...program so we can see what it actually looks like a few years on....

In this area we have a couple of famous landscape designers who have put in gardens that have not worked, big time....plants not comfortable in this area or the settings they were put in, which have caused a lot of frustration and work for the owners. I know of two personally who were very disappointed in the long run...so with gardening it might be good to see the long run if the staff of full time gardeners is absent.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2022, 01:31:56 PM »
Did not know there were two kinds of Sumac - that makes sense then because they do have wonderful coloring in the fall of the year.

And yes, it would be great to see a visit a few years later - but then something tells me many of the participants end up adding things or changing things and so it could be these gardens have a different look and then the whole explanation for the changes - my wish is they had a book or web site with photos of all the finished gardens they've done

I'm glued to the program when the design includes raised gardens - most so far seem to use either wood or the willow woven fences that neither fits for me and I am tired of seeing the cattle tanks used for raised gardens but just as all the ads and photos of walk in showers are now popular for I bet the influx of Boomers who are aging now when getting in and out of a tub is almost impossible so too raised gardens are about what most can handle after age 75.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2022, 02:05:08 PM »
Some sumac isn't just not poisonous, it's eaten.  In a Lebanese or other middle eastern restaurant, if you see a shaker of dark red powder on the table, that's sumac.  It has a pleasant tart taste, and is good on hard boiled eggs instead of paprika.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2022, 02:41:07 PM »
huah - learn something everyday - how easy it is to assume when you have only your surroundings to dope out what is the story - now I am curious if we even have non poisonous sumac in a garden center much finding sumac to use on food - would love to try it... thanks Pat
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
Looking at the past posts and Ginny I love the curved brick low wall surrounding your garden and the roses - what is the name of the rose that I assume is a climber? - Do you know if a sort of hedge of rose bushes use climbers - I doubt hybrids.

The Garden they did yesterday was a winner in my mind - and actually the big price tag afforded not only 1000 pound towards furniture but they had another 1000 returned and so their garden with the - oh now I forgot what they called it - but the narrow reflecting pond and two dry stack walls and keeping the really nice garden shed/room in a rather narrow space was a nice bit of inspiration - we here could never have a pond - it would be a breeding ground for mosquitoes that here do bring things like malaria - much less in the area near Houston - We can't have any standing water - maybe if it had a pump to constantly agitate the water it might work.

Where here on the west side of the Balcones fault there would be plenty of rock for walls I'm going east and the soil is sort of mucky - even on the east side of the fault in Austin that runs up just west of the middle of town - good for growing things however the further east towards Houston the more coastal damp muck it gets and so different plants that I will have to get to know...

I understand Maples grow in that area north of Houston - However, I'm looking at fast growing anything - at my age can't wait 10 and 15 years for a matured garden. I'm thinking miniature fruit trees doting the the flowers, veggies, shrubs and vines.

The Garden with the incredible view I thought was a miss match - Charlie with her curved country look using the willow fencing and creating the sitting area was lovely but I did not see how it enhanced the lower patio area with the table and chairs with the dry wall and everything angular and straight lines - I doubt Charlie come up with getting the boys to agree - I'm thinking it was a production decision that I thought split the look of the final garden. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
  Yes, I agree, I thought they did a good job with that one. And money left over, too. I did think the couches were perhaps not the best choice the homeowners made for furniture, but they may know something I don't about that fabric.

That was a really good one, in contrast to the one this morning about the mother daughter and two children who liked the beach one that Charlie won...did not care for that at all. I know she means well, and it was lovely to see the children's beach project included in the garden, I just hope the little stones the children had brought back from the beach were still there, it kind of looked all new. I'm sure they were preserved.

Also this morning the Houses one with the  Vicount and Colebrooke Park.... didn't much care for the new man instead of Ruth, Simon something, and I hope that works out for the couple.,  I thought it was odd... Since these are old programs I looked up the site to see how it is now running, It seems they ARE now taking in guests, in "cottages," and...well here is an advert for one of their accommodations:

Whitehill Cottage

Whitehill Cottage, Fermanagh, has been beautifully and sympathetically restored to offer luxurious modern facilities without compromising the period features and ambiance of what is a stunning example of an original Irish cottage. We believe there is nothing as unique as this in Northern Ireland. Could this be the most idyllic get away destination in the province?

Come and experience the charm of this beautiful self-catering cottage for a romantic getaway, family break or whatever your heart desires as we are sure it will be a memorable experience.

Nestled on the Colebrooke Estate which comprises 1000 acres of stunning Fermanagh countryside, this holiday cottage offers peace from the outside world. The weary can rest and recuperate or visit the luxurious Colebrooke Spa, whilst the over active can fish, shoot, ride, cycle and play tennis to name but a few of the many activities on offer.

The cottage is 90 minutes from Belfast and 40 minutes from the glorious Donegal coast. Fermanagh is renowned for its Loughs and Islands (one for each day of the year), its history and unspoilt character that offer a truly memorable holiday experience in Ireland.

And it's also for those group Corporate Breaks and is a Hunting Estate as well. So it does seem some changes have been made that were not anticipated in the final film this morning, i.e, the ability to stay on the grounds when not in a hunting party, which was a major bone of contention this morning.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »
Haven't seen yet the beach garden - I see them at 7:00 and the other Houses sounded familiar till I realized we see that show on another channel called DABL and I just happened to see that one on Tuesday night - I don't often see that show since it is on so late - around midnight or maybe it is 1:

On DABL is a show I do enjoy that is on late on the weekends 10: or maybe it is 11: - two construction remodelers from Boston, they've been alternating it recently with a remodeler from San Antonio - trying to make a profit and still abide with all the regulations is far more than I ever imagined. But learning about so many new products available and the benefits is better than years ago I used to watch something Yankee handyman or maybe it was Yankee garden but they did more woodwork construction than gardening. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2022, 08:12:15 PM »
Saw the beach look last evening - when I saw the age of the 'children' I thought to use her last savings to hopefully please them and they will be gone in 5 to 8 years - not only did I not like the beach look - those shark mouth things with candles sheesh - I did not like the beach look at the visiting garden either - long term I think the garden design by the boys was much better - and this evening it is the Indian couple with the tile work - I'm almost sure I saw this last winter and so they may be doing repeats.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2022, 11:21:59 AM »
I agree, I didn't care for it at all, and that one was Charlie, wasn't it? The one this morning was a long one that apparently the "Boys" did, I came to it late but it was those rooms again and quite nice for a long thin garden. Did not care for the rabbit hole, the Alice in Wonderland thingie, because holes like that here tend to contain things that you don't want, but they would not have such in a city dwelling.

I'm getting to where I can recognize their style.

It was nicely done.

My poor carefully laid Covid Garden  beds  have been at the mercy of what appears to be a HERD of rabbits not to mention the ground hogs but a cat has appeared and seems to enjoy patrolling the grounds, each morning.  I hope that helps. It's like zoo parade here every day. When you don't have  a dog to run them off, the deer ate the hostas to the ground, and they were so pretty.

Discouraging, but I see some other plants coming on. One does what one can at the moment.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2022, 02:18:24 PM »
Looking forward to the show this evening - as to Deer - yes, they like hosta - I did learn each herd develops different likes and dislikes but on the whole I found safe are most herbs and our Texas Sage which I am not sure what would work in place of Texas Sage that has wonderful magenta flower along the stems - they don't eat Canna Lilies, salva, marigolds, snapdragons and the biggie that comes now in all colors the Lantana. I found they do not eat the Vinca that is a ground cover and where they will eat the Nandina leaves not so much to ruin the shrub.

I found most sprays to chase them away do not work nor does coyote urine however there is a hose contraption that has some sort of eye for movement if anything crosses the path of the area and squirts out a good spray which can be adjusted as much as 70 feet out. The spray swings in a 180 degree arch. I use it anytime I've planted something new because regardless if they like the mature plant or not anything newly planted is gobbled up.

I do like watching them and so I've not fenced them out as others have. You can always tell a neighborhood that has deer by what is planted in the front yard.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2022, 10:00:47 PM »
Loved what the boys did for that long thin shaped garden - I do think Charlie's idea for a stage area that could be used as a deck for any activity and then the high platform connected up in the trees was probably better after seeing the age of the child - the boys Alice in Wonderland I think went over her head although it gave me ideas - not the rabbit hole but the checkerboard pattern of slabs -

Then the children's garden in, I think it was Stratford upon Avon - something Avon - it was wonderful - love the huge spiderweb fencing that appears to be bent wire fencing and the small houses - I could see the boys wonderful light fixtures with the solar lights be shaped like houses rather than boxes -

Where Charlie includes a water feature, fountains, waterfalls, natural looking ponds and a pergola even if only as archways into another section of the garden - the boys seem to use stone or rock walls in their designs and sometimes a reflective pond that is more structured - for us the stacked rock wall and water features, ponds or otherwise would be home to snakes, mosquitoes and insects we do not want.

One of my first sightseeing forays once I'm settled in a bit will be to see the gardens at Ima Hogg's Bayue Bend - granted more formal and extensive however, at least I will get ideas on the better plants to use.  Back to the show agree, today was a winner.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »
I haven't seen the Avon one but I agree with your thoughts on the holes and rocks. hahaha

I also did not like the one, and I am not sure whose idea it was, but it was round rocks in wire cages? I guess that could be fun for a creative project? Or was it intended for a wall? Wire crates of round rocks stacked? It's creative... It would bother me in a garden, as if it had been delivered and not done something with, but that's just me.

I missed the one yesterday, something about a large garden, the one with the curving path (and of course since it was Charlie, a "pergola" consisting of three beams), and the child's swing in another area.  I was at the dentist and caught the last bit of it last night (again if I could tape it, I could have seen it all). Apparently Charlie won this one and was spouting all sorts of orders...not sure she's as much help when the other team wins.  haahaha Anyway, it WAS pretty.

Apparently the Red Bud  is a big tree innovation in Britain but HERE the birds carry it everywhere until ours died (they don't live that long)  literally had hundreds of them springing up everywhere. In fact, even though it's gone,  they still are springing up with their heart shaped leaves. Very hard to kill. But not listed as "invasive" for some reason.

I like your idea of going to look at gardens for inspiration.

Today at 10 it's to be Wellingborough: Charlie and the Rich brothers tackle a bland garden in Northamptonshire that needs to work much harder to serve all the family. With four generations sharing the space, the designers have their work cut out to create a design that will suit everyone.

And at 11 it's Simon instead of Ruth going to help the Meldon Park owners.  Near Morpeth in Northumberland, Meldon Park has been a home to the Cooksons since 1832. Successive generations have seen the family's fortunes wax and wane. Simon Davis finds the walled kitchen garden, that has recently received great investment, is sitting empty after two failed attempts to run a café there. With his background in restaurant consultancy, Simon can see the obvious potential

For some reason I am beginning to feel sorry (and I know that sounds crazy) for these people who inherit these incredible piles of houses and land who then go broke or have to be the maid, cook, and bottle washer to the public in an effort not to lose their inheritance. I have more sympathy now for those huge things I have wanted to see myself which are closed most of the time. I'm pretty sure if I had one I would not want to be the chamber maid to visitors to keep it going, but then again,  I am not in that position. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2022, 04:12:59 PM »
Seems to me I saw the one with the four generations and the walled garden last winter - yes, they all have to become entrepreneurs and think of their house and land not as a home but as an investment opportunity with they becoming the sweat equity. Now if you happen to love showing off your inherited treasures to strangers that in one thing but if you are into other aspects of living, you cannot afford to be and if you have no treasures worth the public looking at then you have to put on your Wellies or wrap yourself in an apron and arm yourself with shovel, spatula or cleaning brush and get to work.

It would be easier to sell it all and use the cash to invest so you could live off your investment but it would be such a shame to see all those estates gone - bad enough so many went after they had to pay property tax and could not afford it - looks like those who inherit or know they will inherit need a business degree coupled with a minor in farm/land management 

Did you see the one yet where the single older women owner had an extensive collection of period dresses? Fabulous - she sold some but then was photographed in some that the photos were sold to magazines - redid the house displaying dresses all over and she had fashion shows in her house. On and on all about her interest and wonderful collection of clothes from all the past owners of the house going back several hundred years.  Once on her way she was a delight - before, she was a complete scatterbrain recluse that lived in a fantasy not seeing the required repairs. She was receiving a good size monthly stipend from some guy she knew in the past and I think if I remember he died and so she was going to have to face paying her own bills. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »
I did see the one with the clothes,  but was it a full episode? It seems that the one I saw was just part of a promo thing so maybe that's to come.

Yesterday they put on the Mud Racers.... I really feel sorry for these folks.... I don't know, they don't want to be the generation that lets the family down but they are more or less enslaved by the entire thing. They seem to think it's worth it.

It's beginning to be kind of depressing.  I recall when we first bought this farm and had the working vineyard (still have it but much reduced and the deer eat everything now before it can be sold), but I recall the BIG thing agriculturally was diversity, you were to not focus on the main crop but to create mini Disney Worlds,  corn mazes, other fruits and veg for your Stand, your little country store type thing, tours drawn by tractor, pumpkin patches, DIVERSIFY.  School trips. Extend the year.

Sounded like a nightmare to me, very invasive. 90 percent of your customers were wonderful people, the other 10 percent you did not want to meet on the street day or night. I miss some of our customers,  got to know them over the years, but I have enough horror stories of some of the others  to write a book. Unbelievable stories. Too old now to deal with that, I think.

So those who don't want to turn their estates into 24/7 Disney Worlds have my sympathy.

Today on the Gardening one, were the two men whose long thin garden was changed.... They loved the final result, it looked kind of unsettled and overgrown to me, but I think perhaps it was the newness of the plantings. That's one I'd like to see revisited, as one of the men was a keen gardener. I hope perhaps they will go back and revisit  some of them, as these programs are not new, and it would be interesting to see what they look like now.

Apparently there are going to be some new shows aired and more to come as filming was interrupted by the Covid thing, but it's unclear if the Rich brothers will return. One article says they've left the shows, the other says differently, so it will be interesting to see.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2022, 06:22:07 PM »
Saw the episode with the two guys and yes, it did like straggly but I also think it was because it was not a settled garden - I did learn a few things - had no idea Lavender keeps away flies  - Hiding the garbage bins with a simple short fence I liked and could see that as a solution to hide the AC compressor - I remember when Ginny you used to talk about your grapes and selling them - do you still make grape jam?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2022, 08:04:01 AM »
No, I don't can any more, the pots are too heavy.

You CAN pick up some really good tips on these shows. Yesterday we had one for a woman and her 82 year old mother, who was limited in mobility and liked birds. But both the final designs had steps but one elongated them and one put a sort of ramp for a wheelchair, otherwise I don't think the lady could have gotten to the bottom of the garden, but they fixed up a nice deck where she could see several features nicely with a rail. They seemed happy with it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2022, 01:12:23 PM »
I thought the same - or at least rails on both side of the stairs - it all seem to be filmed in rainy weather but it was an attractive finish - the larger deck was perfect wasn't it - not sure of the bushes growing through the two blanks - had they not attached them to each other or used a hook type connection would allow the better care for those two end bushes or whatever they were and frankly the wood slate tree or leaf shaped stands were interesting however, If it were me I would have replaced them with miniature fruit trees that really do not grow to be much taller - I think they were interesting it is just I would prefer nature over faux tree structures. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2022, 08:36:04 AM »
And then the day you wrote this there was one that totally turned me off, the two young parents with two very young children, wanting a nature like preserve so the children could appreciate nature. That sounds wonderful but what they got from Charlie was a pool, OK danger danger, one's a toddler and the other a babe in arms, and 3, count 'em THREE beehives in this long narrow garden?

They kept saying the children would always be attended.

We had three beehives and a beekeeper back in the day, they were in the woods about 1/2 mile from the house. OK the bees came to the house (Italian bees, the beekeeper said you could pet them they are so tame, etc.)  He said bees are OK, just don't get between them and their hive when they are going out and when they are going home. Nice thing to remember.

Can't imagine three beehives in such a small space with small children running about. Turned me right off.

Yesterday we had the two neighbors living in row houses combining yards, that one was the Rich brothers and very nice. I hope that relationship between them lasted, otherwise there might be an issue in sharing a garden with a new tenant.

These are quite old shows  and a lot of the entire episodes are on youtube, actually, if one wanted to see one and not stick to the somewhat rigid schedule.

A sad one perhaps yesterday with the Black Clauchrie or something house. It looks as if possibly in 2022  it did not make it? I hope that does not mean the couple split up, which seemed to be possible in the series I saw yesterday. They list events on Facebook  but apparently there's nowhere to book. Maybe they've gone private, they have so many customers. Or they are just living there happily, it lists weddings and so forth....I don't know... It is very hard to find anything where you could actually see a price or could inquire. On Facebook they give only a link to a video (and this is 2011) which is no longer working.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »
One thing and another I've missed the last few Garden Rescues. Nice to know some are on Youtube - need to check them out and see if some of my favorite gardens are available - I saw the one with Charlies' pool and a split rail fence with, is it called a stile that you step up on that runs crossways to the fence so you can climb over the fence - did not see bee hives though so it must have been a different family.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »
My neighbor "bee-sits" several hives on the lot between theirs and mine for a local veterinarian.  They're fine, MOST of the time.  However, one day a summer ago, they were particularly aggressive.  They stung him (he went to ER) and me (I went to my NP the next day) with an arm quite swollen...and had to go back two days later.  They'd had 3 more patients with bee stings. 

So, I, too wouldn't want small babies out and about with them.

If they have a pool, they need one of those safety covers, as well as a fence.  The pool cover can only be opened by an app on the cell phone of Mom or Dad.

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2022, 10:32:49 AM »
 Yeah, I think that's a really bad idea, the bees. I did not know that about the pool cover, that's cool!!!

Today's person also wanted a bee hive in the middle of a city row house garden. At least there are no young  children there.

Very hot here. Unfortunately I haven't been able to even get IN the gardens yet, with the knee. I did plant in a shade covered pot, the two sets of plants sent me which there is no way I could have gotten in where they should be. So the beautiful garden shown above is pretty much now a mess while the perennial one has started to bloom on its own, which looks nice.

So one does what one can. I need to get a hose attached to the watering of the long garden border next.
The current one blows water all over the house foundation, not good.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2022, 09:34:51 AM »
So here today on  DIGI free to watch on ipad or phone or PC we have at 11 and 8 pm Birkenhead: Musician Gareth is in need of a total garden re-think at his Oxton home. This is a garden than is best seen from his upstairs living room windows, so will either Charlie Dimmock or the Rich Brothers be able to come up with a suitableover-view

So I finally got out to water this morning.  The Japanese Beetles are running rampant through what's left of the roses and there's not much else. I do have dahlias, and huge snapdragon stems, I need to rethink this poor garden, it seems the experts are right and roses do NOT like sharing their space. However I have plans anyway. Rabbits have eaten my gallardia in the other bed down to the ground. I have plans there, too. It's to be 105 this week, however!!!