Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Holiday Drop In Open House

(1/37) > >>

BooksAdmin:

Welcome, welcome, ALL to our Annual Holiday Drop in, our 20th Anniversary Special!

Come as you are, have a glass of egg nog, and greet old friends. We hope to make this a Homecoming for old, and we hope, brand new friends, and that you will each bring the gift of sharing a memory, a recipe or a thought for the holidays.

We have a  Raffle, too,  and just by posting here you are in the contest. Winner to be announced the 23rd of December.

So come on in, and note the Topics du Jour as we count down to the 25th:

December 1-2:  Come on home and tell us the best book YOU read this year and why.
December 3-4:  Give us the gift of your favorite Holiday  Recipe
December 5-6:  What Christmas or Hanukkah do you remember best and why?
December 7-8:  Did you ever have a disastrous holiday you laugh about now? The dressing that ran, the turkey which never cooked? Tell us about it.
December 9-10: Are you giving a book for Christmas or Hanukkah? If so, what is it?
December 11-12: What is your favorite book with a holiday theme? Can be   a mystery, etc.
December 13-14: What one thing do you absolutely have to have at Christmas or Hanukkah or it wouldn't be right December 15-16: What's your fDecember 17-18:  What's your favorite TV holiday program?
December 19-20: - As a child was there an annual social event you attended and do you still attend that social event 
December 21-22: What is your favorite memory from childhood of an unforgettable  Christmas or Hanukkah which means the most to you today?

December 23: Raffle winner announced

December 26- 31: Till January we'll we'll discuss  this charming short story, an allegory of virtues, A Kidnapped Santa Claus  by  L. Frank Baum

Lyman Frank Baum (15 May 1856 – 6 May 1919) was an American author of children’s books, best known for writing The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. A Kidnapped Santa Claus is a Christmas-themed short story written by L. Frank Baum. It is a continuation of the story set forth in The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, telling how Santa Claus was kidnapped by “Daemons” in a plan to make children unhappy. It has been called one of Baum’s most beautiful stories and constitutes an influential contribution to the mythology of Christmas.

http://www.aesopfables.com/kidnap.html

Everyone is welcome!

bellamarie:
I've got my new Christmas jammies, favorite Christmas mug, a few Christmas books to begin reading, and my Keurig caramel cappuccino cups stocked up.  Don't care for eggnog.  Can't wait for December 1st!! 

ginny:
:) That sounds cosy, Bellamarie! You're all ready!

A bright good morning to you all here in our Countdown to Christmas or the Holidays, and we hope, here in our 20th year of bookclubs on the Internet, that you'll drop by, have some refreshments, and share the gift of your thoughts or memories every day this month.

Remember just by posting a message here you are entered in our Raffle for a gift card to B&N or Amazon, whichever you choose, winner to be announced by drawing December 23.

The topics for the first 4 days are:

December 1-2:  Come on home and tell us the best book YOU read this year and why.
December 3-4:  Give us the gift of your favorite Holiday (or any) Recipe

We hope you'll share a memory, a recipe, an opinion about one of the topics or a laugh with us this holiday season!

Welcome, Everybody!

I'll start off with the best book I read this year, and it's hard to say, really, I've read so many  good ones. I'm not sure how one picks the "best" of anything, but I know what I really enjoyed. The one that really stands out for me  is Bill Bryson's  The Road to Little Dribbling, I absolutely love his humor and his recounting of what it's really like to travel all the places he does, in this case he's returned to England, older, wiser and a bit more the  curmudgeon. 

It set me off on a reading jag of all his books, which has not stopped. So he'd have to be at the top of the list.

But what's YOURS?

Welcome!

Mkaren557:
My favorite book of 2016 hands down is The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson.  I loved this book for many reasons:  That transition from the Victorian Age to the Modern fascinates me; I grew to love the characters; and I hated to finish the book.  This book plus other books that remain with me have pointed out to me that, although plot is absolutely crucial to a novel, it is the characters that stay with me.  I guess I am drawn to so many "quiet" books and to Victorian novels.  Action books and mysteries, and I know many of you love them, make me anxious.  This December in the bookclub will be lots of fun.  Thanks Ginny.

CallieOK:
One of my favorites this year was The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  Set in pre-WWII England through a bit beyond the 60"s, the plot development kept me interested all the way through.
I also enjoyed some biographies including:  Hissing Cousins (Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth) by Marc Peyser , Sisters In Law (Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Sandra Day O'Connor) by Linda Hirshman and First Ladies (Jackie Kennedy through Michelle Obama) by Kate Anderson Browen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version