Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Ransom of Red Chief by O'Henry ~ April 15

<< < (5/5)

BarbStAubrey:
Your suggesting a car makes me wonder what time in history this story was written - need to look it up - as I recall O'Henry died around 1910 - I believe the Model T was in production by then.

BarbStAubrey:
OK found the dates - The Ransom of Red Chief was first Published: 1907 - The 'Merry Oldsmobile" was manufactured starting 1902 and Ford with his assembly line production producing one vehicle every 15 minuets started in 1914.

This story taking place in a small town Alabama. Even though the Mayor was one of the wealthier folks in town it is doubtful he had an Olds and even if he had one the kidnappers sure would not have had a vehicle. There would have been dusty streets with no curbs and so walking was probably the means of transportation. The only horse mentioned was Sam in order to satisfy Red Chief.

Whew wrap our heads around that and the story has a different character doesn't it.

Babi:
Oops!  You're so right.  No car. Still, there was no need to go up to the door and beg the Mayor to take his son back, much less pay him to do so.  Leave 'Red Chief' at the edge of town and hightail it out of there! 
  Ah, mustn't be picky.  Exaggeration plays a large part in humor. Look at pratfalls and caricatures.   ::)

BarbStAubrey:
Babi I have become more and more curious about what an auto would look like in 1907 - I had found and cannot find it now the whole history of the first vehicle that Olds built in numbers - something about a fire and all the other  experimental cars were lost in the fire except this one that they built over 2,000 the first year and then 3,500 the next and then 4,000 the next year. And so if they produced at least 4,000 a  year till 1907 t here would have been 21,500 Old on the road.

I do remember singing as a child "My Merry Oldsmobile."

Here is a picture of the model as it looked between 1902 and 1907
http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/Oldsmobile_05.jpg

Then I found this site and I was blown away by the phenomenal change in the look of the Olds between 1907 and 1927 and then again in 1937 - that is only 10 years difference between these accomplishments - I am thinking of the creativity and engineering - amazing! Except for the 1950s  cars with the exaggerated tails the cars have not changed as dramatically as they did between 1907 and 1927.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=60296

Babi:
 Those first cars were a marvel, even though those thin wheels look like they would shake badly, and of course everyone complained about the noise and the smell of gasoline.  I didn't pay much attention to cars as a kid, so those lo-o-ong front ends on the Olds surprise me.  The amazing changes these days are in the electronics....cars that talk to you, plot your route for you, and notify someone if you're in an accident. Oh, brave new world!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version