Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186615 times)

joangrimes

• Alabama
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Gumtree

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:43 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GINNY

Hope you have a great day - sorry can't offer you snow - we are in the midst of a heatwave with more to come - you can have some of that if you like. Have fun!  :D
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

EvelynMC

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
Happy Birthday, Ginny!  Hope you had a good day and have a great year!!.

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »
"Harold, I've heard from one of SeniorNet's regional directors that because of security reasons, none of the discussions will be restored.  They have all been deleted."

Why am I not surprised! GGGGRRRRR

ALF43

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
The heck with them Joan.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

lucky

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
Hello everyone,

I enjoyed being part of the group reading "A Jewel In The Crown".  I've had to discontinue the group for a while because of a hip fracture last July.  A month later I developed pulmonary emboli and was told that had I not gotten to the emergency room when I did I might have gone to my just reward.  The recovery from both has been difficult but I am determined and am so glad to be back.

I am a retired librarian and belong to a learning in retirement group called OLLI ( Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) associated with Stony Brook University In Stony Brook New York.  For the past nineteen years I have taught course in history and literature and have also taken a number of their wonderful programs.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »
Hi, Lucky...

I'm also a retired librarian and there is at least one more here in Books! 

Do you know that Traude is continuing with the Jewel in the Crown.  It's listed in the chart on the Main Index page under Ongoing Discussions:  The RAJ...

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=41.0

jane

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
Hello Lucky, from one OLLI  fan to another, I'm at the one at Furman University where I teach two classes in Latin the Fall and Winter semesters.  It's a great program! You are way ahead of me with the 19 years, and are to be commended!

Welcome, Traude is just starting up her Jewel in the  Crown as Jane says and would be delighted to see you, we're sure glad you made it in time to the ER!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
A month later I developed pulmonary emboli and was told that had I not gotten to the emergency room when I did I might have gone to my just reward

Make that "unjust reward".  Thank goodness you survived.  Welcome, and I hope you will enjoy talking with all of us.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Welcome Lucky.  We are so happy to have you join us here.

I am sorry that I was not here to welcome you when you first came in to introduce yourself but I was seeing my doctor about some problems that I am having.

I hope you will join right in the discussions.  I am sure that you will be welcomed in all of them.

Come by the Library and tell what you are reading at present or what some of your favorite books are.  Everyone will be very interested in the books you are reading and what your favorites are.

Joan Grimes

Persian

« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »
Hello Friends - I'm taking a short break from getting my husband ready to return to his university duties in Egypt on Wednesday.

LUCKY - I was pleased to read of your long association with Stony Brook.  The Pres. of SB, Shirley Strum Kenny, is a long-time friend and former English Dept. Chair and A&H Provost at the University of Maryland (from which I retired in 1991).  We've stayed in touch over the years, so I know about some of the exciting national and international partnerships with which SB is involved.

We're surely glad to have you join the SeniorLearn discussions, which is truly like sitting down with wonderful long-time friends.  Enjoy!

GINNY - a belated, but very enthusiastic Happy Birthday from me, too.  Hope your celebration was joyful!

Mahlia

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Happy Birthday !
Adoannie

sorry it is a day late. 

Joan G

juliak

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
Finally I've received my previous registration and password (which I stupidly lost, in part due to unexpected gall bladder surgery the 1st of Dec. which upset everything.  All went well!))  So now I'm ready to join in some of the discussions.  I'm a recent Kindle user and I just love reading books on my Kindle - being able to increase text size is wonderful. I can read for hours and not have my eyes give out.
It is late and I just got in from a concert so no more for now.

Juliak

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Welcome!  There are several Kindle users...or about to be users...here and I think they share your enthusiasm about that device.

I'm glad the username/password got straightened out and you're able to be here with us and join in the discussions.

jane

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »
Welcome JuliaK.  We are so happy to have you join us here.  Just jump ight into our discussions.  Everyone will be happy to have you join in.

I am a kindle user also.  It is a wonderful device.  There are losts of people here who are interested in the Kindle. It has been discussed in The Library discussion.  In the Library we usually discuss what we are reading.  We would like to hear about what you are reading too.

If you have photos that you would like for us to see you can post them in this discussion or send them to me and I will post them for you.

Joan Grimes

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:12 PM »
Welcome, Julia, so glad to see you again!

Thank you Mahlia, much appreciated. :)

We have a brand new game open today in what we hope will someday  be a whole slate of literary games, just getting started, come on down and see how you do. Perhaps you have an idea for a game you'd like to see us do here on anything connected with  literature, books, reading, or authors, etc..... Let us know!

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=247.msg10719#msg10719

Come on down and enjoy!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »
Welcome, JULIA K from JoanK. Do you have the new kindle version? I'm wondering if it's even better that the old. Please join our discussions, and let us know what you are reading.

Was the concert classical music? some of us are in a classical music discussion on (the Classical Corner on seniorsandfriends.org under leisure activities)

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?board=20.0

Sandy

« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »

Hello, my name is Sandy. A former fifth grade teacher now retired I live with my husband, who is in the early-middle stage of Alzheimer's disease,  in the Philadelphia suburbs. We have two grown sons and two granddaughters. I like a variety of books from classics to current literature to historical romances to memoirs to cozy mysteries. Because of chemical sensitivities of a serious nature I have to "read" via books on CD.

At one period long ago my husband's job took us to Brazil for two years so we
have a special interest in Latin American writers and those of the third world as a whole. 

This is a wonderful siite; I was referred to Senior Learning from a friend in an online book discussion site on another location. I look forward to meeting and enjoying the people and their posts.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:58 AM »
Welcome Sandy,

We are so happy to have you join here on Seniorlearn.   I know that you will enjoy it here .

We will be looking forward to reading your comments in our book discussions and getting to know you.

If you have photos to share this is the place to do that.

Joan G

foston

New to website
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
Hi,
My name is Lorry and I am new to the site. I am interested in taking the Latin class, since I am heavily into genealogy. A lot of the church baptismal records from long ago are in Latin. I am retired and very interested in computers and surfing.  I occasionally teach basic computer classes to seniors at our senior center.  Looking froward to being a part of this group. I have never done anything like this before. I will definitely need some help in navigating the web site. ???
eljaysee

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2009, 03:56:15 PM »
Hi, SANDY. We read everything, too. You'll especially enjoy our "Read Around the world" discussion.

Hi, FOSTON! Surfing!! Are you here in California? I can't actually surf due to a disability, but I spend hours watching others do so. And I watch every surfing movie I can get my hands on.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
Hi, Lorry...
I'm delighted you've joined in now and are getting familiar with the website. 

It'll make getting around the Latin classes next fall that much easier, and you can enjoy all the book discussions too!

jane

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
Welcome, Sandy, it's good to see you.  I sympathize with you about the chemical sensitivities.  I suffer too, probably not quite as badly, but I can't read the books from my library system, because they all have the same perfumy aroma--don't know if they "sanitize" them or it's the polish from the shelves, but either way it's intolerable.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »
Welcome Lorry!

So very happy that you found us here.  Hope that you will join right in the book discussions.

I am sure that you will enjoy the Latin classes.  Everyone seems to really love them.

I haven't studied any Latin but do love languages.  French is my second language and I really enjoyed studying it.

Joan Grimes

bellemere

« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »
Hello, I'm Bellemere, hopping over from the Poetry site to see if anyone here has read The Thirteenth Tale ?  It was our Book Club selection.  We meet next week I just don't know what to think of it.  Loved the bookish atmosphere, and I  have always been a lover of old English country houses.(never actually been in one_)
My problem is the "ghost
I am perfectly willing to go along with ghosts if they are presented as the psychological phenmenon of the character but I dont do real ghosts.  What was the one in Thirteenth Tale?  And throwing in that third child a few pages from the end - contrived or a natural outgrowth of the preceding plot?
Fortunately I am not leading the discussion on this.  Bit would love to hear somebody;s thoughts. Especially if you happen to be a twin.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »
Hi, bellemere, I met you in poetry, and if I ever finish translating that rather difficult Spanish poem you posted (volveran las oscuras golondrinas) to my satisfaction, I'll go back and post it.

We read "The Thirteenth Tale" on the old SeniorNet, and if you repeat your question in The Library, you will probably get a bunch of answers.  It's been a while, so all the details have faded, but I'll comment on twins, since I am one.  You know my twin, she's JoanK, who posts a lot in poetry.

It seems to be common to long for a twin as an "other self", someone who would totally understand you as no one else could.  That's an understandable longing, and the book is full of this feeling, but I always felt it was unrealistic.  Joan and I are very close, but more like close sisters.  You can't really have an "other self".  But during the course of reading and discussing the book, I saw that I did have a kind of fierce feeling about twinness, and I'll never know if this is stronger than loving sisterhood, since I don't know what it's like not to be a twin.

I'm too tired and sleepy to say more now, but ask your question in The Library, and I'll join in.

bellemere

« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »
Thank you, I will do that.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
Hi Bellemere - I'm not a twin like Pat is, but did take part in the discussion of this book, which we were fortunate to have archived.  The only problem is that the Archived text is quite small.  Are you able to increase the font size on your monitor - bottom right, over the time?  If so, you might want to scroll down through the discussion to the last section - Feb. 20.
Not sure if your ghost question will be addressed...I don't  remember there was one - this is a gothic tale, like Woman in White, so there could have been one... ;)

"I have fallen into the habit of interpreting every movement out of the corner of my eye as evidence of their presence." (from Thirteenth Tale)

I'll stop in the Library later - but in the meantime - here's the discussion - remember it was a month long, so you may want to scroll down to Feb. 20 or so...

Rainbow

« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2009, 02:19:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I heard about this site yesterday while attending an introduction to poetry class, which turned out to be quite more than an introduction!  I am looking forward to sharing some of my favorite books and hearing about some great new ones to read  in the near future.  Right now I am involved in a social project that is taking up a lot of my time but I hope  to get back to my reading during April.  I live in Florida in a very active retirement community.  We have a great learning program called Master the Possibilities.  I am originally from New Jersey, the Garden State and grew up on a farm, lucky me!  Before moving to Florida three years ago. My husband and I lived in Massachusetts for over thirty years before moving to Florida three years ago.  We love the warmer weather and the chance to be active outdoors all year long.
That's enough about me for now.
Rainbow

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »
Welcome, Rainbow, it's good to see you here.  Come and tell us about your favorite books, either in Fiction, Non-fiction, or The Library.  When time is short you can always browse.

Rainbow

« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2009, 05:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I am anxious to get involved and very interested in poetry. 
I will probably just browse for a while but hope to become active before to long.  It gets hot here during the summer so lots of time to read and discuss!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2009, 06:19:34 PM »
Welcome Rainbow!!We are so happy to have you join us here.  I am sure that you will find quite a few people interested in Poetry just as you are.  Feel free to join in the poetry discussion.  I am sure you will be welcvomed there.

To get to the poetry discussion just click on http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=176.msg0#new

Joan Grimes

ALF43

« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
Oh my gosh Rainbow!!! Do you live at On Top of the World?  I just posted in the poetry section about Master the Possibilities.  I live here as well.  Welcome!  I've been with this group since 1999 and love to welcome new comers.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
Mary Z

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
OH!! It's Mary's birthday! Happy Happy Birthday, MaryZ!! What a pretty card, Joan!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »
Just heard about this site.  Thought would pop in and see what it is like.
Now I know where a lot of the people from Seniornet.org are meeting up again
I was in SNet for many years and reconize many of you.  I still use the same name.  JeanneP

I miss the the discussion groups from many states plus International. Aust. NZ.
I am from the North of England.  Get back quite often now.  Not seen any of the posters other than CarolUK who I see in Seniorsandfriends.

We all remember Glady's with love.  She is also from my area of England.  See her posting once in awhile but not often now.  Hope she is well.

Never hear of any get togethers any more.

JeanneP

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
Happy birthday, Mary. I hope you celebrated a wonderful day!

Welcome to everyone here. It's great to see you, JeanneP.

It's a joy to see so many friends from SeniorNet and others who have found us.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »
HI, JEANNEP. Glad you found us again.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »
Welcome JeanneP,

Great to see you here.  I hope that you will join in the book discussions.  Go to the Library and tell us what you are reading.

Thanks for the complement on the card Ginny.. It is just a photo that I took and manipulated to make a card from it.

Joan G

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »
Hi JeanneP.  I remember meeting you in Champaign, back in 2002.  Do you still live there?

Glad  you found us here in SeniorLearn.

Belated Happy Birthday, MaryZ!!