General Book Discussions & More > Gardening by the Book

Gardening by the Book

(1/32) > >>

BooksAdmin:

Spring is coming!
If you are thinking of trying some type of gardening this year, or are a new/ old Quarantine Gardener,  whether it's on a window sill or 800 acres, come talk about your successes and failures with us.  We'll share advice, good books on gardening,  the best places to find help, and enthusiasm!

ginny:
Welcome!!

We thought this might be a good place to talk happily about our gardening efforts and to share enthusiasm and experiences and any resources as spring approaches.

Friday I went into Lowes Big Box Store here to get some Miracle Grow Moisture soil additive and the  double  LINES, the long long lines to just check out from the garden center were astounding.  My own cart mysteriously filled up with a lot of plants!!!!   I have dug enough holes this week so far to qualify for a subordinate acting part in The Dig! But will they live?

I've got some snapdragons seedlings in narrow pots on the windowsill, but perhaps I started THEM too early?

It was 80 degrees here Friday but it's getting colder again. Are you contemplating growing flowers or veggies or something new  this year?   If so, let's share tips, books, Youtube instructional films, enthusiasm and stories.

Welcome aboard!

I am trying to root some dahlias from last year. I've never had dahilas till last year and they were very pretty. But apparently you have to dig them up, but HERE you really don't have to.  They make many small tubers like potatoes. which you then plant once you separate them.

I think I have made several mistakes. I have followed all the instructions on YouTube, but they differ!!!  They are in a long planter here in the house where the frost can't hurt them, and there is some light,  but I wish I had not cut them up now!! So I'm starting them early as our last frost is  April 15.  Fingers crossed.

What are you growing or planning to grow this year? Share your plans with us!

jane:
Ah....how nice to dream of gardening.  Here in the Upper Midwest, we're still dealing with cold and snow...got another 4" yesterday, after almost all of it had melted from earlier storms.

Keep posting, please, of what you're planting, so I have some ideas when that time finally comes here....middle of May for us.

Siobhan:
Hi Ginny and Jane!
I planted onions and garlic in the poly-tunnel last October, and they ought to be ready mid May. We also planted potatoes and courgettes last week. Today I am going to pot up some sweet-pea for our cottage garden. I also have to plant up 6 more box hedge plants to complete a square!! During the week we will also put down seeds for a meadow. We did this last year and it was beautiful!! Lots to be done in our garden here in Co Cork Ireland!

ginny:
Siobhan! From County Cork Ireland, no less! Welcome, welcome! And Jane with 4 feet of snow!!! Welcome!

We're from all over, this should be quite exciting!

Siobhan, it  sounds like you do a lot more planting than I do, this is wonderful!

Tell us about your cottage garden? And your box hedge square? Is this in aid of a sort of formal garden?

One of my biggest problems is in not having an all over plan and organization. I see something,  I want one and I plant it.   I have visions of the overall plan but it never LOOKS like what I envisioned or see in the gardens of others. There IS no plan.  This year I am determined to accomplish this at last.

I am really worried about my new dahlia undertakings, I have no experience with them and wish I had never dug them up!

Off to prune the roses, I have a great printout I found on the internet about pruning hydrangeas, and they are named by type and the new varieties,  which ones to prune,  and which not, so am finished with that and thrilled all my new ones are alive,  so now I need to prune the roses and it's ALMOST too late. But we're to have temperatures in the 20's Fahrenheit here this week at night.

At the moment the Bradford Pears are blooming their hearts out, as are the forsythias. . I know people hate Bradford Pears,  but you get a lot of bang in the spring for them and ours are quite old, what's left of them, they break off, and they are something to see.  Also the quince is blooming.  Here's a photo of my grandson with one of ours, a couple of years ago:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version