Author Topic: Book Thief by Markus Zusak ~ March Book Club Online  (Read 143702 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Book Thief by Markus Zusak ~ March Book Club Online
« Reply #440 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

The Book Thief -  March Bookclub Online
Everyone is invited to join in!

"Fortunately, this book isn't about Death; it's about death, and so much else."  
"Some will argue that a book so difficult and sad may not be appropriate for teenage readers. "The Book Thief" was published for adults in Zusak's native Australia, and I strongly suspect it was written for adults. Many teenagers will find the story too slow to get going, which is a fair criticism. But it's the kind of book that can be life-changing, because without ever denying the essential amorality and randomness of the natural order, "The Book Thief" offers us a believable, hard-won hope.
The Book Thief is a complicated story of survival that will encourage its readers to think." (Bookmarks Magazine)

"How can a tale told by Death be mistaken for young-adult storytelling? Easily: because this book's narrator is sorry for what he has to do. The youthful sensibility of "The Book Thief" also contributes to a wider innocence. While it is set in Germany during World War II and is not immune to bloodshed, most of this story is figurative: it unfolds as symbolic or metaphorical abstraction.
"The Book Thief" will be widely read and admired because it tells a story in which books become treasures. And because there's no arguing with a sentiment like that." (New York Times)

Some Questions for Your Consideration

March 29-April 4 ~ Part IX & X  (the last human stranger; the book thief); EPILOGUE

1. Do you think  the story  would have been different if Liesel didn't keep having nightmares about her brother?  Did you understand why she stopped dreaming about him after she returned the cookie plate to Ilsa Hermann?  

2.  What brought Ilsa Hermann down to 33 Himmel St?  Why did she give the lined notebook  to Liesel?  What was her warning to Liesel?

3.  Liesel wrote a book  that was divided into 10 parts, each telling of how  books and  stories affected her life.  Liesel is the author of this book then?  

4. How does  Liesel answer Rudy when he asks her how it feels to steal a book?  Is her answer the reason he left the teddy bear with the dying pilot?  (Why had he packed  that teddy bear in his toolbox?)

5.  Did you notice Death's explanation why he has been offering us a glimpse of the end before it actually  happens?        

6.  Was Liesel ready to die when she joined Max in the road?  How did Rudy save her?  After she told him about Max,  was it significant that he didn't kiss her then?

7.   Why did Death carry  Rudy's soul  "with a salty eye and a heavy  heart"?  Rudy got to him.  Can these be Liesel's thoughts?  Why did she later tell Rudy's  father that she had kissed him?

8. Now how did Liesel get to Sydney?  What happened to Max?  Dare we imagine they went together?  Can you find a reason to support this?

9..   Death meets  Liesel on her last day and  wants to tell her about the beauty and the brutality of war.  Do you think she knows this already?  Did you see beauty in this story?

10.  Everything considered, how would you rate this book on a scale of 1 * - 5 *****  What will you remember about this book?.  Would you recommend it to a friend?  To a teenager?  

Relevant Links:
Readers' Guide Questions: Prologue; Parts I -X;   A Brief History of German Rule;   Dachau;   Mein Kampf;   The Book Thief Metaphors ~ Our Favorite Zusak expressions;

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Andy

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: April 04, 2010, 11:24:28 PM »
Thank you very much, Joan and Andy, for your thoughtful leadership of this discussion. I am very glad to have read this book and I learned a lot from you and the other participants. I look forward to more discussions!

bookad

« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
I too echo my thanks Joan & Andy-so many insights, much more to consider with all the input....makes the book much more dimensional to me.  I have enjoyed following all the discussion...
Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Babi

« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »
 JOANP, Hiroshima is beautiful.  I'm so glad.  That is one bomb we should never have dropped.
We could have demonstrated it's effectiveness just as well on some desert island, IMO.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Laura

« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2010, 10:34:05 AM »
Thank you everyone for a great discussion, especially Joan and Alf for leading.  Everyone had thoughtful contributions, all of which I enjoyed reading.  I especially enjoyed it when we didn't all agree on things!   ;)

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
Again, I apologize for not writing yesterday. I was ill y and missed a rare Easter gathering of family and friends.
The weather and my arthritis are directly responsible.

Massachusetts had more than two weeks of heavy rains, which caused the rivers to overflow including the Charles that divides Boston and Cambridge; inundations in many areas, and evacuations. The Governor declared the state of emergency, and last week the President was briefly in Boston to thank the Emergency Management people.  The sun reappeared on Friday.  My arthritis was did not immediateely take notice.  >:(

As I said last night, I feel the need to make a few additional comments, and  answer Andy's question in # 434 about the art theft in WW II.

Andy, it began years earlier,  in 1933, to be precise,  with the systematic expropriation of the Jews,  see

http://www.edwardvictor.com/Holocaust/Expropriation.htm

In  WW II, it might have started in France, in 1940.  The ordinary soldiers probably helped themselves to some trinkets. But in the benighted secrecy in which we lived, we did not hear about the systematic, organized  plundering of European art undertaken by the highest bosses, including H. himself.  The web has a great deal of information,  which is to be welcomed.  Actually,  I read on the web something I never knew :  that  the Mass Murderer planned to build a museum in the town of his birth, Linz in Austria, and got busy "collecting" early.    Who would have known then?

Wars have been fought even before history was recorded.  To the victor go the spoils, as in the days of Homer's Iliad,  when the winner's bounty often included a female slave from the vanquished enemy camp.  And later, in the Holy Roman Empire, all participating states - often represented by mercenaries as proxy, - divvied up the bounty.  For instance in 1571, after the battle of Lepanto was won under the  commnd of 24-year old Juan of Austria, an illegitimate son of  Emperor Charles V.. and both the crown and the church got their bounty.

Similarly, in 1944, the Red Army steam-rolled westward toward Germany, overrunning Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and other eastern nations, and untold numbers of civilians fled ahead of them, taking with them only what they could carry.  Russian soldiers were feared and notorious for raping girls and women.  Many hailed from remote rural regions and were delighted to see water coming out of faucets. They became also fond of watches,  demanding them, and proudly displaying several of them on one arm.  It is unlikely that during their relentless drive to reach Berlin they would have had time  to look for art or known what to look for. But somehow precious bibles, tapestries and paintings found their way into Russia.  Not all have been returned,  as reported on the web.

On the other hand, the GI's advancing through Italy northward, and eastward through France, were welcomed and popular. They brought chewing gum, chocolate and Lucky Strike cigarettes.  whole cartons of them!  It is understandable that they would pick up  Nazi memorabilia.  They were known also for liking fine china, and had the money to pay for it.  However acquired,  German and European treasures turned up also in the U.S.  Some were returned voluntarily. Reports to that effect have appeared in the press over the decades.
Moreover,  there are ongoing efforts to bring about the return of Jewish property, taken more than six decades ago.  It is one result of wars.  
Or think of the Elgin Marbles, carried off  from Athens  by the truckload by  at the behest of the British Ambassador to Constantinople,  Lord Elgin. Or more recently of the looting in the Iraq war.

JoanP,  you asked about the morale.  Well, by the end of 1944 the people were tired, hungry,dejected, exhausted.  No one talked about the "final victory".  When 14-year-old boys and old men are urged to pick up a weapon or, short of a weapon, a shovel or a dung-fork,  nobody needs to be told that the war is lost.

The truth became known slowly, in bits and pieces. In those May days, the best source of information  was the Swiss weekly Die Weltwoche (world week). I subscribed  to the paper edition for decades. Nowadays I read it on line.  The extent, the scale of the atrocities was stupefying, numbing, beyond anything imaginabable.

The Germans will probably be haunted by the Holocaust forever.  But hey did write the most liberal immigration laws, and the country has become a haven for asylum seekers.

In sum, information, knowledge, transparency, truth are the keys.  It is important to be aware of what goes on in the world. The Holocaust must not, will not be forgotten thanks to books like Markus Zusak's  The Book Thief.  I have read only part of it because the terrain is still painful for me.  But I have fulfilled my promise and contributed to the discussion  what I could, honestly and  forthrightly, based on my experience and my rmemory.

Many thanks again to JoanP, Andy and all participants.

P.S.  Jude,  I am sorry you lost your loyal canine companion and have a good idea how you feel.

ALF43

« Reply #446 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »
Thank you again Traudee for your succinct answers to my questions.  I appreciate your responses and your time.
To all- i thank you once again for this wonderful discussion.
AND- I bow to my "slave driver" and kind mentor- JoanP. ::)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #447 on: April 08, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
How can we thank you enough for digging into those images stored in your mind, Traudee.  A sober reminder that war is hell - for everyone, including the survivors.  Especially the survivors.

To think that one man was able to hypnotize an entire nation to follow his desire for a supreme race.

The gifted Markus Zusak's has stimulated our minds and emotions with his glorious writing, based on one of the most atrocious periods in history.  As you have noted in your posts, this is an important book to pass on to the next generation.  Lest they forget.

Thanks again, Andy, and everyone, for your contributions to this discussion.  We look forward to future discussions~

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #448 on: April 08, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
Thank you JoanP and Andy for this discussion. Thank you Traude for al you added to the discussion.  I throughly enjoyed the discussion and am glad that I was able to be a little part of the discussion.  I got so much more out of the book because I missed alot of things in my readings of the book.
 I still do not believe that Liesel and Max married.  Liesel was a very childlike character.  She was to immature to be thinking about such things.
The book was beautifully written. Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #449 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
This discussion is locked and will be archived in a few days.