Author Topic: Possession by A. S. Byatt ~ Book Club Online for June  (Read 75101 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Possession by A. S. Byatt ~ Book Club Online for June
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »

The Beguiling of Merlin
by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1872-1877)

"Gorgeously written…dazzling…a tour de force." (NY Times Book Review)

"Brilliant…. Both a mystery and a love story…. A feat of human ingenuity."  (Diane Johnson, the New York  Review of Books)

"One of the best books of the year." (New York Times Book Review.)

"A masterpiece of word play and adventure." (Los Angeles  Times Book  Review)

Winner of England's Booker Prize and the literary sensation of the year, Possession is an exhilarating novel of wit and romance, at once an intellectual mystery and a triumphant love story. (Vintage International)

"The most dazzling novel of the year." (USA Today)

What a book! This is a novel for every taste… an altogether magical performance." (Washington Post Book World)

Discussion Leaders: ginny & Marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: Possession by A. S. Byatt ~ Proposed for June 1
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »
Welcome, everyone! I'm looking forward to reading and talking about this book with others here. It will be the first book I've read by this author. Maybe at the end we can spend a little time talking about the film too, although I've read that it is substantially different from the book.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »
"The book was thick and black and covered with dust. Its boards were bowed and creaking; it had been maltreated in its own time...."

And here begins a literary adventure on two parallels,  a story which is almost indefinable: a mystery, a literary adventure, a Wodehousian collection of wit and dazzling writing, what's not to like?

Apparently you are either taken with it and the spell it weaves or you aren't, let's discuss it, either way, love it or hate it, do  join us here, in June. Marcie and I will need all the help we can get.  It  will be a fun ride if nothing else.

I think that's a great idea to compare the movie,  Marcie! I didn't even know there was one,  until yesterday.

Come join us!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JoanR

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
Well!  Here we are - Possession!  So grateful that this discussion will be underway.  I read it around 1992, I think, and have been planning to re-read it on my own -  but so much better in company !  I still have my old hardcover edition and last week I luckily found a nice paperback  in our local thrift shop. This means I will have something to mark up.  I rarely do that to a hardcover book - library lady habits don't die.

I found a link to the movie!  I had no idea that there had been a film - just missed it entirely.  Perhaps our library system will have a copy.

http://movies.about.com/library/weekly/aapossessionreview.htm

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
Joan! Welcome, welcome!  I agree with you, it's so much fun to talk about a book   in company,  I'm looking forward to it. I have a feeling we'll all get something completely different out of it, and I know I'll benefit from hearing  everybody's perspectives.  (I need them already).  hahaha What fun!  It's just the thing for June. It's almost like holding quicksilver in your hand.

So far I can't imagine how they could make a movie out of this but it will be interesting to see.

Welcome, All!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Gumtree

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:25:23 AM »
Well I'll just have to keep you company during 'Possession' - I read it when it first appeared, loved the book and have wanted to reread it ever since - presumably this is my chance.

I haven't got a copy but I know paperbacks are readily available in our stores though as it's a fairly large novel I'd prefer the hardback - maybe a 2ndhand dealer will have a good clean copy.

I never mark up a book - I hate to see any scribbled notes on the actual pages - this  goes back to my childhood when I was obliged to use my older brothers' textbooks at school which all had the evidence of several geniuses at work on them. A new unsullied book was a rare treasure for me.  These days I insert a paper slip and write on that.

I saw the film and was disappointed but then I was so wrapped in the novel that no film could have done it justice.

Have you noticed that there are many, many books about books being written these days.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Oh Gum, EXCELLENT! Welcome welcome! And you've read it too and want to reread it, what more can anybody ask about a book?

It's my first time for it and I'm so taken with all the dazzling references, I mean Proserpina, that alone. I attended a lecture in...I think it was 2005 from somebody from Berkeley I think it was on the age of that myth, it's actually one of the oldest myths in existence and in many strange and remote cultures.  He even had stick men drawn by some pre...whatever. ...Obviously I must find the handouts he gave (like I'm going to find anything in this house, please), but maybe together we can see why it's introduced, I don't think (or so far anyway) this is a slapdash careless kind of book written for no reason.

And yes on the books about books lately, the Zafon comes to mind. This, so far, is delicious, to me. I'm not one of those readers who has to have it all spelled out in the first paragraph, like Mr. Rogers I like to take my time, but is is worth it? Only our readers will decide, based on how it speaks to them.

Marking in books, what a topic! I always used to tell  Latin students never write in your book and carry on something awful about it in face to face classes.  I guess this tradition comes from Caesar who, in talking about the Druids says that they prefer to memorize their laws for two reasons, one of which is that they think it causes a weakening of the mind to have to read what's written down rather than memorize it.

We were always taught there is a disconnect to the brain when trying to translate, when  the eye travels to the note from the text,  it produces a crutch which paralyzes in the end. I really do think in Latin that's the case.  In fact, I've gotten very superstitious about it, I hate to even put a date in a Latin text which of course causes me no end of grief in assigning work but hey! :)

But at the end of my last face to face class for the year in March, one of my students, who was in the field of psychology,  told me that they now feel that making notes in a book actually produces a personal connection TO that book, so who knows? I'm all for personal connections between books and people.

I mark mine up when I read for a book club  discussion because invariably if I don't, I can never find again what I wanted to ask about. I should adopt your slip of paper method! (But I'd lose the slips). hahaaa

Welcome! This will be so fun.

Aliki

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »
JoanR: "I found a link to the movie!  I had no idea that there had been a film - just missed it entirely.  Perhaps our library system will have a copy."

Just F.Y.I. I was checking on Netflix and they have Possession and it can either be rented or watched online in case anyone would like to do that.

As for me, I'm going to read the book first and then do the film.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
Welcome, Allie! That's a good point, which will each person want to do first, read the book or see the movie? If you see the movie the characters will inform the book, I know Anthony Andrews and Jeremy Irons forever will be Brideshead Revisited to me. Some movies themselves are art, which I guess is the whole idea.

The BOOK is so.....delicious and lush, and rich, and imaginative,  I ...just don't know how they could film it, I guess we'll find out. Thank you for the Netflix info, they'll have a run on it with us! hahahaa

I hope! hahaaa

JoanR

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:30 PM »
I'll wait until I've re-read the book before I see the film.  I like to imagine the characters for myself rather than having the actors populating the story in my imagination; sometimes, too, the author's story may be altered here and there to fit a time limit or to fit the filmmakers idea of what would be "popular". 

I enjoy seeing films from books but don't think that a film can replace a book.

Has anyone here seen Bright Star - the film about Keats?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »
I haven't. Is it good?

Remember, everybody, this is just a PROPOSED discussion and should it not get a quorum of readers we'll have to pull it, so nobody buy any books yet!

Jonathan

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »
Don't you dare pull it, ginny. I've already bought my copy. Like JoanR, I got lucky at my local thrift store, after seeing it proposed for discussion. It didn't take more than a few pages to convince me it's a great read. I'm sure with you and Marcie to lead the discussion there will be lots of participation.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
Jonathan!!!  YAY!  Well this is a super group, I must say,  assembling here, books in hand, exciting!  I am so glad to see you!

YAY! Welcome!

I think you are right about a great  read, how long it's been since I've had one, maybe this one will break the spell. I  love the description in the heading of a book for every taste, for all seasons you might say.  I'm ready for a dazzling masterpiece, you hear about her it seems,  every day,  but I've never read anything of hers.

I am trying not to read it so far ahead of time but am not succeeding, but  this group is dazzling already what more can you want?

Welcome, Everybody!

mrssherlock

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
some books may be highly praised but if there is no story then i can't last.  Just as in film reviews the reviewers may be using tools I don't possess.  Literary analysis is a complete puzzle to me.  This book sounds like one I'd like to read but I can't promise to stick it out.  If it doesn't grab me I'm gone.  So count me as 0.5.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
hahah Welcome Jackie, I hope you stick around, are you 0 for 5 or 1/2? Either way we'd love to hear your opinions, the good, the bad and maybe the ugly too. :)

Welcome!

JoanR

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »
I did say that I wouldn't watch the movie until after I'd re-read the book.  However, in a weak moment, I guiltily borrowed the movie from the library and started to watch it.  BUT it stuck about 15 minutes into the story!!!!!!!!!!!  I suppose that was some sort of grim justice served upon me for going back on my word!  At least I got a good tour of the British Museum and Library - it's been too long since I've been there.  I saw enough of the characters to think that I will like the movie whenever I get to see it.  Grumble, grumble.

salan

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »
You mention a quorum.  How many does it take to make a quorum??  It seems to me that a lot of people have expressed an interest in this book.  Do you need a quorum for all book discussions (Troublesome Young Men, for example)?  Does the leader decide on a quorum, and how are the leaders chosen?  Just curious.
Sally

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »
Joan, hahhaaa, that was an omen from the book telling you not to watch first, but now you tempt me with the British Library which I  love, it's in there? The new one or the old one?

Sally, welcome, I hope you're considering joining us. Yes we need a quorum so that people won't all buy books and then be left high and dry when things happen as things do and the Discussion Leader, faced with talking to him or herself, has to pull it.   You have no worry over Troublesome, it's definitely going forward. The number of the quorum is up to the  Discussion Leaders leading it, but we hope to attract as many opinions, voices and people as we can.

Whether or not they ruined the Netflix movie hahahaaa

In the past Discussion Leaders were SeniorNet volunteers on the SeniorNet website. This site was lucky enough to get what we think are the  best book discussion leaders in the world, and certainly some of the most experienced,  to move here  when SN failed. We have not added any since the site started but it's early days yet, it's barely a year old.  Who  knows?

All our readers are like gold to us.

mrssherlock

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Ginny:  If we readers are like gold there's no doubt that you leaders are like diamonds mounted in platinum.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
Gosh, aren't you kind, right back at you, now you HAVE to stay! hahaaa

mrssherlock

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
Me and my big mouth!
Jackie

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
:) It'll be the literary experience  to remember!

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »
OK - I have the book ;D

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »
Yo! Sally bought the book too!! Looks to me as if we have some determined readers here who are in for an incredible experience. I woke up thinking, oh read on, (I had started it back a few months ago and thought oh we must discuss this how CAN we not?), read the first two chapters and see if you can shut up about the incredible experience, people don't know what a magic Pandora's box this really is.

Welcome, Sally!!!  What a magical carpet we're about to go on, can't wait to hear the reactions, starting June 1.

salan

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:53 AM »
I am fairly new to this site and have been most impressed with the leaders.  They manage to rein us in and keep us on track, all the while holding our interests!  I know I had a copy of this book, but can't find it.  My library doesn't have it, so I will have to order another one.  I really prefer having my own copy anyway.  I haven't read it, but after reading your or (ya'll's) discussion, I am anxious to get started.
Sally

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 08:22:43 AM »
Sally! Welcome, I am so glad you have decided to join us, I love your comments in the other discussions. This will be "one for the Books." Hooray!

Any discussion with two Sallys in it has got to be good.

Everyone is welcome, and I hope everyone will give us the benefit of their perspectives. We have some folks here who bring in some of the most fabulous background material you can imagine, it's going to be a rich feast.

We all come from such diverse backgrounds and experiences it should be a blast. Sometimes our book discussions are better than the book, but if the book itself shines you've got an experience to treasure. I hope that's what will happen here!

Welcome, Everybody!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »
I was in the last discussion Seniornet did of Possession, and it was a great discussion! Were any of you in it? At first I thought I didn't want to discuss it again: why couldn't we do a different Byatt book. But I don't want to miss the fun.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
I had to make an emergency run to the bookstore today, and picked up my copy while there.  I'm definitely in, but won't start thinking about it yet.  I'll be immersed in British politics for a month first; then a break, since I won't be in the Tyler discussion, and that will give me plenty of time to get in the mood.  I've only read one Byatt (present from JoanK) but liked it very much.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »
Oh my goodness, two! Two! Two twins in one! YES Joan K AND PatH? Well how can you beat that, our own Doubly Fabulous  Duo!

Joan, yes it's true "we" as the Books & Lit  did discuss this before on SeniorNet, in 1999,  but most of the people here did not have that pleasure, and what's interesting to me is the books we have redone as discussions have been really incredible. And different. I wonder why that is.

And this is a good tradition, because we redid her sister's book, The Seven Sisters, by Margaret Drabble. And I led that one both times, hated it the first time, just hated it, OH,  but the second time around.....(I still think she's never been to Cumae but that's beside the point). So it's fitting to give the other sister perhaps another look. And because our discussions are living things, and  most of the people this time are different, the discussion will be different, who knows where it may go.

I am so glad you are not going to pass up the fun!

And PatH!!!  I am so glad to see you, as well, will never forget you in the Iliad nor Joan, we really  REALLY need to do the Aeneid, but it's not the Iliad by any stretch of the imagination so I dunno, keep putting it off, we've had no end of requests for it. I loved that Iliad.

So THIS is just fabulous! I am so glad I looked in. Now you all must promise to be sure when the discussion starts to summon your courage and  say your piece, as we really do want to know what you think. Each of you.

Welcome, Everybody!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
Ginny, discussing the Iliad with you was a truly memorable and important experience for me.  I won't ever forget it.  I'm up for the Aeneid anytime you think it would work, even though it has dull patches and isn't the Iliad.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
Well bless your heart, right back at you, but you're right about the Aeneid. The Iliad was a surprise to me, it was GOOD,  powerful and much more interesting to me than the Odyssey,  which I had previously thought was the apex of interesting and innovative story telling, and like all our discussions it really was the group that carried it.  Such fun.

When I went to Greece a couple of years ago there was this potter in this strange little Greek town, who had to compete with all the big deal expensive potters,  who had done tons of kraters of all sizes and I  wanted one of  Achilles playing chess with Agamemnon, so I bought it, paid for it and months passed and nothing happened but here it now sits on my desk. I should have gotten the one with Sarpedon on the back but I'm not sure he offered that combination.

And that's one good thing about our book discussions here, you may go INTO the discussion with no knowledge at all of the subtexts or references (if you had asked me who Sarpedon was prior to  our reading the Iliad, I am sure I'd have had no idea) and thus it enriches your life so much in so many ways.  Our book discussions ADD to your personal reading experience.

Welcome, Everybody!!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »
I will always remember that Iliad discussion: one of many great ones we had here on Seniornet.

I was reminded of the Iliad the other day. My favorite scene of the whole book is the one where Vulcan was making a shield for Achilles, and describes it. I was in a museum with many Greek artifacts (the Getty mansion) and there was a fragment of a Greek shield with the many scenes on it. I burst into tears.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:59 AM »
  I know the feeling.  It's amazing, isn't it, sometimes to see these things in a museum? I was totally unprepared, having always run and I mean run past the Greek stuff at the Met or any museum,  in order to try to see the Roman stuff before I caved in, but when we did the Iliad I stopped at the Greek. It's almost unimaginable,  isn't it, actually ran out of film,  treasure upon treasure, any fragment of which I'd have been thrilled to ever dig up, there they all,  are any one of which would be enough for  a lifetime.

For some reason the hoplite helmets really got to me, what a strange thing, but when i went to Greece I bought a small SMALL replica of one, about 3 inches tall,  and of course managed to break it in the intervening years, fell off the desk,  and it's some kind of iron metal, too, very heavy, broke anyway.

Some things stick with you and some don't, reading is different for everybody,  but it sure enriches your understanding. And isn't it amazing, the most amazing thing of my old age is realizing how little I actually know of what all is out there TO know.

JudeS

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:12 AM »
I have decided to join you folks in this discussion even though I had never heard of the book or the author.  Somehow I missed this one.  I went on line to Amazon and ordered the book for $1. 59! I also looked it up on Netflix and added it to my list.
In Amazon they had a book that went along with Possession which explains the book and gives you a literary and historical perspective.  I didn't order that one ($12.95). Undoubtedly I'll learn it all from you whizzes who are joining in this discussion.

I feel like Ginny.  The more I read the more I realize I don't know.  So much to learn, so little time.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
Jude, that's wonderful news that you'll be joining our reading group and that you found the book at such a great price. I too look forward to a good opportunity to learn from the others here.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »
Jude, I agree with Marcie, welcome, welcome!

You said:  In Amazon they had a book that went along with Possession which explains the book and gives you a literary and historical perspective.  I didn't order that one ($12.95).  

Good heavens, do they really? Wow!  Any of you who have this book please for heaven's sake don't hold back  what you've read! I like a discussion were we have every fact at our disposal. The fact that this book has a commentary like an ancient book to me is just mind blowing. Many of the ancient authors have commentary, but it's the reader to whom the ancient speaks, and the background just makes it that much richer in understanding, and in forming your own opinions of what the book is about. How we argued on Brideshead Revisitetd!!! What a discussion, the bottom line being What is it About? Despite all the commentary in the world, we did not agree, but the background was rich.

If any of you have this book, DO chime in at every opportunity!

I'm going to look that up. When we did Remains of the Day we were fortunate to have the author of a critique, study guide on it, Dr. Allen, I think, to answer our questions on the background and it was wonderful.  Some people spend their entire lives going DEEP into arcane subjects just like the characters in the book, it never hurts to talk to them.

What a rich experience this will be!

So glad to see you again, Jude!

kidsal

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 04:46:13 AM »
 Yes, would like to discuss Aeneid.  Gathering dust on my bookshelf ::)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »
We do have a LOT of requests for it. If we DID do it we'd have to make it a magnum opus and drag it out over months and months and parts of it really drag maybe we could figure out together how to deal with that. It's the only one of the big three (Odyssey Iliad and Aeneid) we have not done.

It might be a good thing.

kidsal

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
Months and months would be OK.  Think of the Raj!  And The Story of Civilization!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
That IS true, a good point.