Author Topic: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler ~ May Book Club Online - Pre-Discussion  (Read 17414 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

Noah's Compass ~  May Book Club Online
You are invited to join us on May 1.

Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass was SeniorLearn's first  choice for  our May Book Club Online discussion.  We do hope you will join us in what should be a meaningful, worthwhile experience.  Tyler's protagonist, Liam Pennywell, tells his young grandson that Noah wasn't going anywhere in the Ark.  "He was just trying to stay afloat. He was just bobbing up and down, so he didn't need a compass, or a rudder, or a sextant."

Liam Pennywell  is troubled by his inability to remember anything about the first night that he moved into his new, spare condominium,  after being laid off at 61 from a job he never liked. All he knows when he wakes up the next day in the hospital is that his head is sore and bandaged.  For Liam, the most distressing part of his memory loss was that it felt like he was losing control.

And yet this novel is described as "gently humorous."  Really.

We all know a Liam, the novel suggests.   In fact, there may be a little of Liam in each of us. Just trying to stay afloat.  Please plan to join us as we float along together.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Pedln

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler ~ May Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
Welcome, everyone!
 Anne Tyler's 18th book was the top choice in our recent ballot for spring discussions.  I wonder how many selected her book because you are fans of the author's rather quirky personalities. - Or were you drawn to the subject?  Memory loss is something we all most face.  It's a fact of life.  How about the feeling that you are just bobbing along, tryng to stay afloat?  

Noah's Compass has been described as "humorous" - well, "gently humorous."  I haven't read it yet - but imagine that we can have quite a discussion on this subject~  Oh, by the way, it is a very popular book -   I just checked my library - and find that I'm #95 on the list.  The Library has 30 copies, counting branches.

We would love to have you join us! Are you in?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
Welcome everyone, to our May discussion of  Anne Tyler’s Noah’s Compass.  Like Joan, I haven’t read this book yet either, but my library has three copies and I’m first in line for early April. But I’ll also be visiting New York in a few days, and hope that maybe the wonderful Strand Bookstore will still have a few review copies on sale.

Two of my good friends are coping with severe memory problems, each facing them differently, in her own way. And one is not always sure how to react to them.  Perhaps Liam Pennywell’s compass will help point the way.

salan

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
I have already put my name on reserve and plan to join you.  I voted for the book because I like Anne Tyler--didn't know what it was about.  I am looking forward to reading it.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
Sally, I think that there are many Anne Tyler fans who voted for that same reason.  The subject matter is something that we can all relate to - Losing memory, losing control is something that we all fear.  Anne Tyler's "gently humorous"  treatment should make for lively conversation here. 

What number are you on  your library hold list?  She is quite a popular author. We're happy to have you join us!  Welcome!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »
Welcome news,   count me in ! 

There's no one better than Anne Tyler is at portraying "ordinary" people with whom we can empathize, no matter ow flawed they may be. 

salan

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 06:19:57 AM »
Joan P., My library just called and they are holding the book for me.  Evidently they just got three copies and I was #1 on the list.  The advantage of a small town library is that frequently you can be #l on reserve list for new books.  The bad news is that once the book hits the new book shelf, you are pretty far down on the list because they don't have many copies.  I will probably pick up the book Mon.  I will have it for 2 weeks and then have to return it.  I probably won't be able to get it back until our discussion is over.  I hope I can read and retain the info for our discussion.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
Welcome aboard, Traudee!  I know Anne Tyler's book will spark quite a discussion of Liam Pennywell's memory loss among our readers.

Sally, it might be a good idea to keep some notes on your thoughts  for the May discussion.  If your memory is anything like mine!  I see that I am now #80 on the hold list at my library - which has 30 copies available to all branches. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »
Sally and Traude, I'm so glad you'll be with us for this discussion.  This is a book I know little about, but like you, I do like Anne Tyler and look forward to meeting this "ordinary" Liam.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
I  plan to participate in this discussion.I have not read the book yet but I do like Anne Tyler.  I have it on my kindle already and will try to start it soon. Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
That's great JoanG.  I'm so glad you'll be joining us.  And how convenient to have it already on your Kindle.  The more I hear about them, the more I start to play "gotta have, gonna get.*"

* That's an old family joke. An uncle and one of his friends were ardent camera buffs, and every time something new came on the market it was always --  gotta have, gonna get.  But their wives usually put their feet down.  (They were the same way about hunting and fishing equipment.)

Ah well, a Kindle seems like a very practical thing to have.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »
It is practical for me to have one since my vision is so bad.  I have gotten past the feeling that I must have a book in my hand.  It did take a while to get to this point though. :D  I understand your uncles being that way about cameras because I feel like that about cameras. Since my vision is so  bad I have to just not think about that any more. :(

mrssherlock

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
I'll be here if I can remember . . .
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »
 ;D  You are funny, Jackie!  You know you are welcome - and you too, Joan G!  I wish I had a Kindle - don't know if I'll ever get past the book-in-hand thing. 

serenesheila

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »
Please count me in, too.  I am a Tyler fan, also.  I am also losing my memory.  It is like a sponge, with lots of holes.

I, too, have the book on my Kindle.  Just waiting until after taxes, to begin.

Sheila

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »
Well I sure dont have any memory any more. ::)But I will be here.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
Welcome, Sheila  As you can see, you will be in very good company. ;)  We can all sympathize with Liam Pennywell.

ALF43

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
It's frightening, isn't it, this inability to be able to "call up" some fact quickly?  Your brain recognizes it but to reestablish the memory of the name that belongs with the face or the fact has been disrupted.  I tell everyone when I have one of those moments- "Wait now, the synapse is at work, it will take a moment."
It's embarassing and I find myself cussing at myself when I can't conjure up a name during Jeopardy.  "eeeek- I know that answer," she bellows.  Yeah, I know it 10 minutes later.  Oh well, it's normal aging process that we learn to work at and with by stimulating our brains in a plethora of challenging activities.

I'm off on a tangent once again, aren't I?
Well I just stopped by to tell you that I am IN for the discussion. 
Thankfully, my book sits on my table and I will begin it this evening.  If we don't like the content we have one another to cajole through the tough parts. ::)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
Well, welcome Jackie and Sheila, and Andy, too.  So glad you're all here.

Even if some of you write scary stuff -- below -- sounds intriguing  (memory affects spelling, I think)

If we don't like the content we have one another to cajole through the tough parts.

The wonderful Strand bookstore did not have any review (half-price) copies of Noah, so I'm hoping the library comes through very soon.

salan

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
I just picked up my copy at the library.  I plan to take notes and hope I can rememer  ::) when the time comes to discuss it.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
Good, Sally, notes are good - especially when trying to remember what you read in a book about memory loss!  Mercy!  I think I see where humor is possible in such a topic.  Pedln, don't let Andy scare you - she hasn't read the book yet!

ALF43

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Au contraire, mon amie, I have read 1/2 of the book.  I am not frightened yet.  I like the protaganist, Mr. Pennywell in this story and will support him throughout.  8)
It is so cool that I can still frighten someone Pedln, although I would prefer it weren't you.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

mrssherlock

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
The library has my book waiting for me.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ALF43

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
I finished it tonight.  Let me kow what ya'll think.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:18:50 PM »
Jackie, you're lucky.  How did you manage such quick service?  Do you know the librarian?

Andy, will you hold that request!  We won't begin sharing what we think about this book until MAY 1!  My name hasn't even come up on the hold list at the library yet!    Please put your book away until May - some place where you remember where you put it, though!   ;)  

ALF43

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »
Consider it put away Joan until May oneth. :D

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
You Frightened me there a minute..I have not started the book yet.  Glad to see that I have plenty of time to read it.Joan Grimes

kiwilady

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 11:00:21 PM »
Another book I can access from my library system! I searched the catalogue last night! I won't reserve it til mid April. I can have it for four weeks and renew it for a further two weeks.

Carolyn

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
Carolyn, so glad you'll be with us, and that you can easily get the book.  I'm with you -- I'd just as soon the library not get me the book until later this month.  We'll see.  I'm first on the list, but haven't heard anything yet.  That's okay.

Memory is strange.  A very dear friend (who is about as far from computers as you can get and will never see this) has a memory problem.  I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and she sent me a birthday card.  Then the next day I got another card from her.  A few days later I stopped by her house to thank her for the card and let her know I was going out of town. She looked a little surprised when I thanked her and I noticed she had an envelope in her hand, which she immediately placed face down on the table.  When I picked up my mail yesterday, after being gone a week, there was another card.

She is very much aware she has a memory problem and it bothers her.  She also does all she can to combat it, like writing things down, keeping up a calendar, etc.  Except for memory, she's "with it."

Another friend is unaware she has a memory problem, which I think is a more difficult situation.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
Pedln, I can sense already that Anne Tyler's Liam Pennywell is going to find himself in  friendly, understanding company.  How typical for  AT to choose a protagonist with serious memory problems - and to portray him with her light,  humorous touch.  I'm really looking forward to this.
Pedln and I were talking earlier about AT's last book, before Noah's Compass.  She remembered that we discussed "Digging to America" back on SeniorNet before it went down.  That was her last one, Pedln - it came out in 2006.  In case you are curious, here is a list of Anne Tyler's novels and the years in which they were published - How many of them have you read?

If Morning Ever Comes (1964)
The Tin Can Tree (1965)
A Slipping-Down Life (1970)
The Clock Winder (1972)
Celestial Navigation (1974)
Searching for Caleb (1975)
Earthly Possessions (1977)
Morgan's Passing (1980)
Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (1982)
The Accidental Tourist (1985)
Breathing Lessons (1988) ~ (Pulitzer Prize)
Saint Maybe (1991)
Ladder of Years (1995)
A Patchwork Planet (1998)
Back When We Were Grownups (2001)
The Amateur Marriage (2004)
Digging to America (2006)
Noah's Compass (January 2010)

Oh - and before I forget - even though this wish is late, it is the FIRST one I've sent you, Pedln, (isn't it? ;D )

ALF43

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »
Oh Pedln- bless your heart, HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

And for the Christians here, may I wish you a Happy Easter.  Alleluhia, Christ has risen!

Mippy

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
Happy, Happy Birthday, Pedln !!!

I'd like to join, but May is a tricky month, as in mid-month we will be on
the road for almost a week, visiting family in VA, then up to Cape Cod for the summer.

I've read about 9 of Tyler's books ...  if I can remember  haha.

So please count me as a "maybe"  participant,  and I'll read along
whenever I can!  Sounds like a good group!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
Hello, there, Mippy!  You've read 9 of AT's books?  That makes you an official "fan."

We're happy to hear from you, whenever you can manage.  We'll put you down as MAYBE - or better.  Do you have computer access at the Cape?

Mippy

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »
Thanks, JoanP !  Yes, indeed, computer access is not optional
for me.   In addition to SeniorLearn activities, including Latin, I'm
the Treasurer of my local FL Garden Club, so I must keep up
with that in summer, even when we're not meeting.  As well as
emails  to family and friends ...  it's hard to remember how we
used to get along without email and Facebook!

This current AT book, Noah's Compass, had rather mixed
reviews,  but I'm up for it anyway ... if I can remember to order it.
    ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
Mippy, my fellow Latin classmate.  I'm glad you're going to be with us, when you can.  It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life no matter which part of the country you're in.  We'll have to watch to see if schoolmaster Liam tosses any Latin words about.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
Am sitting at home in SW Wyoming listening to the wind blow and the snow pile up around my doorstep.  So perhaps something to read in a May blizzard would be great.  Just received my Amazon bill :o :'( :o :'( but hope to join you ;D

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Another Latin classmate, kidsal, so happy to have you here, snow and all.  Is this your typical April Wyoming weather?  Stay warm, and dry.

Mippy

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
Good morning, Pedln and Sally!
Thanks for the welcome, Pedln.
Just bundle up, Sally, and stay warm and cozy, if you can!

This ought to be a good discussion   Latin or sine Latin   and we'd
better stick to English so as not to be thought of as Latin snobs!      ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
Has anyone watched the HBO series The Wire?  The only reason I ask is because it's set in Baltimore.  My daughter and I spent a weekend in Baltimore last fall, and when I visited her a few weeks ago in NY she told me she was getting this show from Netflix and I might like it.

Well, that's debatable -- it's a good guys/bad guys,  cops/criminals show, not set in the Baltimore I remember, but will withold judgement until I've seen a bit more.

Are any of Tyler's books set anywhere else other than Baltimore?  I like the idea of an author using just one locale, but am not sure, thinking back to some of her other titles, if there is really a stong sense of the city there.  What's your take on that?

JudeS

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
Hi Pedlin
Re: The Wire
Critics have said that this show is the "War and Peace" of Television
I agree with them.

There are five years of this show . Each year deals with a different aspect of the city.  The main characters are seen throughout the five years but they learn, change and are influenced by the political, social and moral circumstances around them.  The series goes deeply into different peoples lives. Some are poor, some wealthy, some are politicians, some are criminals but all are human.  Sometimes their suffering is difficult to watch. There are 12 or 13 chapters in each years series.
  It takes guts to watch some of the episodes.  But in the end, if you do, you can say:"Oh, Television is an art form too."
Let me know what you think.