Author Topic: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online  (Read 69946 times)

bellamarie

Re: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

January Book Club Online

"Little Bee"
by Chris Cleave

Little Bee, or The Other Hand, as it was called when it was published in Great Britain in 2008, has captured the attention of millions of readers and elicited a wide range of reactions from shock and outrage to praise for the portrayal of the two main characters, whose personal lives become inextricably intertwined.

In view of the publishers' request not to reveal too much of the plot too soon, we have foregone the customary questions in favor of presenting background information that may be useful. As always, we invite your comments and insights in the course of the discussion.

Facts:
*Nigeria gained independence from British rule on October 1, 1960.  Around that time oil was discovered in the Niger delta, raising the hope that a post-colonial backwater country could rise to international prominence, radically improve its economy to better the health and education of its citizens.

*Today Nigeria is the eighth largest exporter of crude oil with billions of dollars in oil revenues annually. The Nigerian government and the oil companies have benefited, but the Nigerian people are still among the poorest in the world.  Only 40% of the total population have access to electricity. Life expectancy is less than 46 years; infant mortality in the first year after birth alarmingly high.  There is environmental damage in the mining area and ongoing unrest in the country. Oil, blessing or curse?

*The "Black Hill Immigratio Removal Center" in the book is fictitious, like the characters. However, holding places, safe havens  for foreign nationals, have existed in Britain since the Immigration Act of 1971 introduced "detention centres', as they were called,  to impose restrictions on their movements. The government immigration policy was tightened in 2002 in the wake of concern over increasing  numbers of asylum seekers. Today there are ten immigration removal centers in England and Wales, all run for profit by private companies at taxpayers' expense.

Reading Schedule

January 2,   Chapters One to Three, pages 1-85
January 9,   Chapters Four and Five, pages 86-149
January 16,  Chapters Six to Nine, pages 150-231
January 23, Chapter Ten, pages 232-266
January 30-31,  Conclusions

Discussion Leaders:  Traude and Andy

Bellamarie:Oh my heavens I downloaded Little Bee into my nook late last night, read 22 pages instantly, went to bed, picked it up this morning and found myself mesmerized in reading this.  Thank goodnes I charged up my nook last night, could not imagine running low and not being able to read this story without interruption.  I had to take a break once I got to chapter three, because there is so much emotion and things to take in, my mind needed a time out.  Phew...this is not a book for sissies.  Don't take this critical in any way, but I would not recommend it to anyone who is not up for the emotional roller coaster just the first three chapters have the reader on let alone ursamajor stating, "it does not get any better."  Steph, rosemarykaye has offered to hold our hands through it so let's take ahold and see if she can keep us all from falling into the hole.  In this case the hole of darkness and sadness.  I'm off to play a couple of my Zynga games for a bit of fun and socializing with  my new found facebook friends.  I recommend everyone reading Little Bee to do the same, read in small portions, and take many breaks doing fun things.......

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ALF43

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Yikes- Jan 2nd.  I thought we started on the 3rd.  Let me get those emails out to remind everyone when we begin.

Bellem-
Cleave's book asks us to step outside our own tidy borders, let the world in and embrace our own an other's humanity."

I love that quote.  Life is heavy and burdensome enough for us and when you are made aware of the atrocities "outside of our world" it becomes disturbing.  We will all hunker down together and follow Little Bee as she buzzes through her young life.

Rosemary and Nancy- You won't only lurk I'll betcha!  I think that we all have a voice of reason and concern regarding the issues in this book.  It's difficult NOT to speak up and out.  The beauty of this group is that you feel comfortable respectfully speaking your mind even though others may disagree.  I get passionate about these issues and need to speak aloud and I always encourage others thoughts and participation.

Steph-  I promise you you will not fall into the pits.  If you start to sway, I'll hang on to you. ;)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
It's almost time for the start of our discussion - long prepared for, long awaited. \I am so very glad to see so many of you back, new and long-standing readers.  And I am grateful that Andy is with me on this journey.

We've put up a  new header (thanks, JoanP),  which provides background and factual information and is the "opener" -  instead of the introductory, searching questions.

Nonetheless questions do arise in a discussion,  and all are encouraged.  Thankfully,  we've Rosemary with us. She lives in Scotlan an can help us out when we get bogged down by historical, geographical or social queries.

We're off to a fine start.  Our comfort level regarding this book is certainly of prime importance.
So are our other immediate impressions on  :

* The alternating narrative voices and their effect on the reader
* the flashbacks in both narratives and their effects - distracting or ?
* Can we draw tentative conclusions about the character of the two dissimilar women ?
* In the main, the story features two women
* Should we not also  consider the men in this story ?

--------
I hope the sun is shining where you are -- it is here, finally,  after last Sunday's blizzard that crippled the entire Eastern Seaboard.. Here it  was here a wild and woolly Nor'easter that brought  hours of power outage and, mercifully gone the next day.  Let's hope all  passengers stranded in airports last weekend are on the way home.

T

ALF43

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
I got ready to fire off emails here, with the link to remind everyone that the discussion will start on January 2nd, 2011. 
I find that there are 5 people who have displayed an interest but whose emails I am not privey to and that would be Sally, RosemkaryK, Steph, bookad and bellamarie.
If you would please just show your presence in here once again to make us aware that you will joining in on Jan. 2nd, I would appreciate it.  I do not wish to leave anyone out.

I love that Traude has mentioned we are trying something new here.  We aren't going to pose direct questions from the book each week but allow the book itself to prompt us, as vicarious readers, to ask one another the questions based on our own impressions. 
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »
Andy  :) :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
I am here - I thought my email was available on my profile?  It is rosemarykaye@yahoo.co.uk.

I am not sure that I am going to be much help on this one, but always happy to try.

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
Andy, I am bellamarie726@aol.com.  I am looking forward to Jan 2nd.

Happy New Year to all SeniorLearn members!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ALF43

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
Bella and Rosemary- when I click on your name where you post, it says that your email address is hidden.  Check it out.
 I am happy that you'll both be here and Rosemary, Little Bee and WE need all the help you can offer. ;)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
I've read the book, and will probably be lurking.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ALF43

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »
MaryZ- please see post # 81 about the lurking difficulty.
 ;D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
I understand, Alf.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »
 Ican see where we are all embarking on a new adventure for us. That is probably a good thing, but somewhat scary.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ursamajor

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
I will note here a tip I picked up on another discussion.  When you publish your email address online it is well to avoid the conventional form:

For reader@aol.com you can use reader at aol dot com and avoid being picked up by automatic scanners.

Babi

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2010, 09:38:57 AM »
BELLA, as a word of encouragement, I find Cleave is able to suggest a
good deal without going into horrid detail. So far, so good.

Thanks for that great tip, URSA. That's good to know.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

crescentwitch

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
I'm new here, joined this morning. I have purchased the book, and will begin to read it. I look forward to being a part of this group

ALF43

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
Wow- Crescent witch, there you are already!  I was trying to find you on our boards to give you the link.  Bookmark your spot here, do you have any questions that we can help you with to assist in your navigation of the boards?

We are delighted that you found us here and that you're joining our trek with Little Bee.  We start on Sunday Jan. the 2nd, in order to allow everyone to recover from the holidays. ::)

crescentwitch

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
thank you for the welcome. I started reading the book, this will be a wonderful way to spend this new years eve; a nice glass of champagne and this book.

salan

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »
Sally, here.  I will be joining this discussion.  My daughter gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I have downloaded Little Bee and already read the first three chapters.  Do the chapters run the same on a Kindle as in a regular book?  I am a techno-tard (her word for me) and am struggling somewhat with all this new technology.  However, I think this is one "toy" that I am really going to love, even though I accidently purchased something while learning to maneuver around.  Fortunately it was only $l.99 and is NY Times crosswords ( which I will play with).
Sally

Mippy

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »
Hi, Sally,
Re: Kindle 
Whenever you purchase something on your Kindle by mistake you can reverse it.   Once time I did that, and by sending an email to Amazon, they took it back off, no questions asked.   I haven't exactly figured out how to do that on the Kindle itself, although if you stay on the "buy this book" page for long enough, it says "did you buy by mistake?" and you can say yes.
Enjoy your Kindle!  It's great!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

bookad

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone :)

-belatedly checking in, up early with my favourite reading time 5 a.m. or so, quiet, no distractions, purring cats, snoring dog, windily outside, getting cooler,  they say a cold front is coming in should be a nice day to go for a walk

up to chapter 3 in the book, taking it in bits to let it sink in
reminds me a bit of the style in 'The Blue Notebook', my RV park -winterhaven-Brownsville's read for December
--reminds me of how lucky I am to be living in the country I live in and count my blessings

all the best to you--did you get my e-mail Alf?

Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

Steph

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
 :D Happy New Year everyone. I have read the first 85 and am ready to go tomorrow.

Babi

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
 Does the discussion begin here, or will we be transferring to another
site?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
Hi Deb - just saw that you're in Brownsville.  Our bookie, jane, is on SPI for two months.  I'll be visiting family in Edinburg and Weslaco for a weekend in February.

ALF43

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
Babi- I believe that our discussion will start right here, where we are now.  I'll contact Traude to verify.

Deb- our book ad (dict)- I love that!  Yes, I did r/c your email and responded to you in your home email site.

Thanks Mippy for keeping an eye out for our new Kindle readers.  I've got my new Nook and have spent hours navigating and learning all about it.  I didn't realize that you could change your mind after you made a purchase that you didn't mean to make.  I did the same thing, I wanted to read a sample of Cleopatra and would up buying the damned thing.  Oh well.  I am now reading Empire of the Summer Moon, Hells Corner (new Baldacchi) and American Assasin.

Sally- I'm not sure that the pages would be the same on the e-reader but I don't think the chapters change.  At the end of our 3rd chapter where we stop it says:   " If I was telling this story to the girls from back home, I would have to explain to them how it was possible to be drowning in a river of people and also to feel so very, very alone.  But truly I do not think I would have the words."

nlhome

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »
I had to return my copy to the library without reading it, so I may lurk a bit to see if I want to request it again.

ALF43

« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »
nlhome- Of course you will be tempted and wish  to join us.   ::)
You may just as well go ahead and put your order in. ;D

bookad

« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
maryz--I guess I didn't make myself clear,we were in Brownsville, from Nov-Dec 15, then left for Aransas Pass, and now in Rockport, Texas, shortly to be moving for New Orleans, and gradually ending up in Ft. Myers, Florida, (glad about Florida as I know of a great book store in Sarasota, where hoping to get a reasonably priced copy of the next book in the Durant discussion with the 'civilization' discussion group. (previous years we have spent the entire winter in Brownsville, though.)
Deb
And Eternity in an hour.

ALF43

« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
bookad- look me up when you're in Florida.  Perhaps we can meet at a middle rendezvous spot.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
Deb, I see Alf has already "claimed" you for the Florida bunch.  Lucky you!  ;D

ALF43

« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:29 PM »
Come on down MaryZ, it's not too far from Tennessee.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
This is true - and tempting.  ::)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
CRESCENTWITCH: WELCOME WELCOME! What would you like to be called?

I got a kindle for Christmas, too. I'm waiting for tomorrow when my daughter comes over to hook it up -- I'm technotard also. My friend telss me they give you a free sample of two or three pages, so I already have a long list to request.

I knew I was getting it, so thanked my family by singing this song (modified from Parnell Hall - King of Kindle)

I'm always getting books by mail
It really is a pain
Orgoing to the library
Getting caught in all the rain

I want to be the Queen od Kindle
That's what I want to do!
I want to be the Queen of Kindle
And I will be, thanks to you!

Yes I'll be the Queen of Kindle
And I surely won't forget
You made me the Queen of Kindle
Buyin' books on the Internet.

ALF43

« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
Joan, i love your little ditty.  I'm going to forward it on to Santa with the name change to Nook.

bookad

« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
Andrea, Mary if the opportunity came to be able to meet you in our travels that would be great--we are presently enjoying Rockport so much may bi pass New Orleans and just remain here for another month; (wish I could be here in September though as I understand Rockport is on the migratory route for hummingbirds in the Autumn --what a sight that would be)- we should be in Florida the latter part of February thru till the end of March, and then have to be out of the country by 25 of April
Deb
And Eternity in an hour.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
We have a full house, it seems. It's gratifying and exciting.

A Big Welcome to all the new readers who joined us from places as distant as Sweden and Down Under, and old friends, as well. We are privileged to have one of our nonfiction DLs, Ella,  here with us.

This folder was opened on October 16, 2010 when Little Bee was first proposed. Readers promptly expressed their interest,  a qorum was reached quickly, and the discussion scheduled to begin on January 2, 2011.  All the posts are found here,  only the header was changed to reflect background information, and to provide a reading schedule.  

The back cover of the American edition carries this (somewhat unusual) request:  

We don't want to tell you WHAT HAPPENS in this book.
It is a truly SPECIAL STORY and we don't want to spoil it.
NEVERTHELESS,  you meed to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this:

This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day and one of them has to make a terrible choice,  the kind of choice we hope you never have to face.
Two years later they meet again - the story starts there.

Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it.  When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds.

This request is the reason for our omitting the preliminary questions that are the customary opening of our discussions.   The book is told in chapters in the voices of Little Bee and Sarah O'Rourke.  
The suggested reading schedule is more a schedule for the discussion,  because we are always free to read as much we we want --- as long as we don't divulge it in the discussion too soon.  :)

For Sheila and others using electronic readers without page numbers.
Though I have not seen or held one of these devices, I feel reasonably certain that the digital version  will show the text in precisely the same fashion - in successive chapters - as the printed editions.
The first portion for discussion,  to which we'll get tomorrow,  comprises the first three chapters.

In my post # 82 on 12-30 I mentioned some thoughts to ponder.  
What are your impressions of the adolescent Nigerian teenager who has nothing but hope, and about the self-assured publisher of an edgy women's magazine in
London ?
Does the author's method of telling the same story from the perspective of  these two  different women annoy, confuse, or help ? Were you impelled to read on ?

Steph,  you are right, this is a different approach, and it may be scary - like all new things we've never tried before. But life does put us into position we did not imagine, and even so we must go on ...

Steph

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
 Iwill chime in with Alf.. I would love to see you. Sarasota has lost two of its larger bookstores in the past year.. The big remainder place downtown is gone.. And one of the two used ones has also disappeared. I think the one on BeeRidge Road is still there.. and the lovely corner bookstore downtown is there as well.
Little Bee.. The writing style is quite different. At this point in the book, I am more than a little confused.. I also confes that I am not as sympathetic as I could be about being an illegal. Part of that is I live in Florida and we are knee deep all the time in people who come from Central and South America and just flat out stay. I also live close to Disney and there are a number of people here that came as tourists and stayed.. It is hard on the economy.
Little Bee obviously had very bad things happen to her. I think when I read on, it will be easier to figure out what is happening.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2011, 07:12:22 AM »
Steph, I have the same mixed feelings as you.  We would generally like to see ourselves as liberal open-minded sort of people, but since the EC has admitted so many eastern European countries, we are also over-run.  We have lots of Polish people who are absolutely lovely, they all get jobs and work very hard, but some of the people from other countries are less industrious and seem to have taken to begging as a way of life.  it is now difficult to walk down any main street without being accosted many times - of course there are also "local" beggars, and they are just as aggressive, but the problem is really getting out of hand.  As these people are here legally they are also apparently entitled to claim our social security benefits, which not surprisingly causes a lot of discontent.  In addition to that we have illegal immigrants like you, though maybe not as many as we do not have a border with any other state.

I find the whole issue very difficult - if people are prepared to suffer all the terrible hardships that they do to get here - hiding underneath lorries, in cargo holds of planes, etc, - then they must be desperate, and how can we, in our comfortable western lives, judge them?  If I lived in a poor country with terrible problems, wouldn't I want to live somewhere else?  but that does not stop me getting riled when I walk to the shops and get accosted several times in the space of 5 minutes.  I suppose the whole thing boils down to politics - as the heading above says, Nigeria (for example) should be a wealthy country, but its people are impoverished because they do not see the benefits of their country's oil.  I don't know how you sort that out, and I imagine that many people would say that the troubles in these countries all stem from our own colonisalism (and that of France, Belgium etc).  I don't know enough about that to comment.

Am off to re-read my 85 pages.

Rosemary

Mippy

« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2011, 07:13:59 AM »
Happy New Year to All!!

Thanks for mentioning it's ok to read ahead, as long as we don't post spoilers.   I always tend to read ahead
and have done so already.   This book is very, very difficult for me because of what happened.  I'll have to read
in the afternoons, not just before bed time.   For me, nightmares are possible.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

crescentwitch

« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
Again, thank you for the warm welcome, you can call me Kay or crescent, I will respond to either. I have read the three chapters, its a difficult, emotional book. I do like it so far. I find that I have to think more than I'm used to, usually I just want to be entertained. When does the discussion begin, or is this it?  I live in Potsdam, NY, four colleges in a ten mile radius, people from all over the world come to this little town, lots of diversity.

ALF43

« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU IN 2011- with many blessings.

I am so excited that we have finally arrived here together and have just finished reading all of your reasonable thoughts.

Steph and Rosemary
admit to the conflicted feelings about illegals and the whole immigration mess.  Let me echo your sentiments BUT I can not begin to feel that way about Little Bee.  First of all she did not wish to be brought here.  She's only 14 years old and without giving anything away, she has suffered horribly.  She would much prefer to be back in her own setting- of that I have no doubt.  I was surprised that so many of these centres exist globally, aren't you?

*The "Black Hill Immigration Removal Center" in the book is fictitious, like the characters. However, holding places, safe havens  for foreign nationals, have existed in Britain since the Immigration Act of 1971 introduced "detention centres', as they were called,  to impose restrictions on their movements. The government immigration policy was tightened in 2002 in the wake of concern over increasing  numbers of asylum seekers. Today there are ten immigration removal centers in England and Wales, all run for profit by private companies at taxpayers' expense.  

Now Mippy- if that fact alone isn't enough to give you nightmares, I don't know what is.  I suffer from nightmares and can not imagine what this 14 year old must endure at night.

Traude asks us "What is your impression of the Nigerian teen" and I, for one am greatly affected by her strength of character in this lonely, foreign country, with nothing but her wits and wiles to accompany her.

Kay- I too am a New Yorker (originally before treking south to stay warm) and love the area where you live in the fall especially.  I used to read only to be entertained until I found SeniorLearn (Net, in those old days.)  Since reading and discussing books here, I tend to view the contents while reading in an entirely different way i.e before I wouldn't have  appreciated the impact of what Cleave has done on page 1 alone.
  LB wishes herself to be as a British pound coin instead on an African girl;

"safe, traveling deserts and oceans, warm, secure, serious and disguised as power or property."
She loves the idea that the coin can transform itself and dodge authorities.  That's a feat she can aspire to, as well.
Now that comparison won my heart immediately.
Little Bee practices speaking with the voice of Queen Elizabeth and uses that successfully.

If you get a minute check out the info above that we've provided for you.
I didn't even understand what globalization was before reading this story Kay.