Author Topic: Holiday Memories Open House  (Read 56527 times)

Babi

Re: Holiday Memories Open House
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »

Holiday Memories - An  Open House for All of US!

What's the best Christmas or Holiday you can remember from back in the Good Ole Days? We hope you will come  right inside out of the cold and share those memories with us - beginning Dec.1   T'is the season to wax nostalgic about Christmas past - and all the  holidays you celebrate this time of year..

Every party needs MUSIC!  Let us know your Holiday favorites...we'll link them here for you. Remember this one?

What's a party without  GOODIES? Let's  fill this buffet table with your favorites!  What's your best  Holiday  recipe ever and  the story behind it? Do you still bake like you once did? Shall we have a contest for the OLDEST RECIPE?

And what's a gathering of BOOK LOVERS without Books? We all have our seasonal favorite STORIES and POEMS. What are yours?  Each week in December we'll focus on two of your favorites.  Do you remember these two?

ROSEMARY, speaking as a native Texas, I don't think I could survive in that kind of
weather. Does the shutdown of Scotrail's northern routes mean you have no public
transportation up there at all?  I'd complain to my congressman, or whatever you call
your representatives in Scotland. I do hope the weather improves. Winter sounds a bad
time to have to be apartment hunting.
  Now, what is your 'Christmas cake'?  And what is a 'gammon ham'? Turkey is also a
firm tradition with us, stuffed with Southern cornbread dressing. Giblet gravy, candied
yams, cranberry sauce, hot rolls, fruit salad. The vegetables are pretty much the only
thing that really varies. Pecan and pumpkin pies are regulars. Other desserts as
contributed by the guests. Incidentally, I am no longer able to prepare a meal like this,
so we are usually with other family. If we eat here, my daughters do most of the work
while I try not to kibitz too much.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

bellemere

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »
another thumbs up for Dylan Thomas! 
"Messiah" is a big Christmas tradition around here, both the elegant Symphony version to the country church sing-along version. Try youtube and search for "flash mob Messiah"
I need tech help.  How to copy a website address that I got in an email into a Seniorlearn post? Save? as what? copy? paste? i am a total dolt.
I rememger my toddler grandson sitting on the floor with the Nativity set explaining the Christmas story to us. When Mary and Joseph were told there was no room at the Inn, they were told they could "sleep in the stapler"

ALF43

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
Bellemere- That is absolutely precious- the "stapler."  hahahaha I will remember that one.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

nlhome

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 12:11:45 PM »
What a pleasant conversation.

Right now I am listening to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Christmas Eve and Other Stories) and supposed to be doing cleaning, decorating, but the computer calls.

I decided I would read some Christmas books this year, so I had a collection of short stories that I started last year and finished up over Thanksgiving. I tried reading Margaret Maron's Christmas Mourning but I just don't really enjoy her books. I read a Christmas Odyssey by Anne Perry. I also have a used copy of Christmas through the Years by Gladys Hasty Carroll. Now, that book needs to be read in small amounts because it's a little too much, but it is very relaxing.

mabel1015j

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 12:15:58 PM »
Welcome Janice, are you new to SL, or have we just not crissed paths before?

I just went back and looked at all the links everyone has provided..........that is my favorite concert of Elvis- the tv show in the bkack leather jumpsuit. I was too innocent to understand his sexual appeal in the 50's. I just tho't of his longish slicked back hair as low class, BUT, after seeing this program in the late 60's (?), i GOT IT! He looks fabulous in this show......whew!

Thanks for all the links from everybody.......i am constantly amazed at this thing called the internet, that in 5seconds, sitting in my sunroom, i can see or find out about any thing in the world!?! Or have a nice conversation w/ all of your from all over the world!?! AND i can watch Elvis, in all his glory, even tho he's dead and gone!?! And watch and hear many more great videos and music. It's on my happiness list everyday............jean

rosemarykaye

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
Babi - Christmas cake is a very rich fruit cake with raisins, currants, sultanas, candied peel, etc - there are various recipes.  You are supposed to make it and the pudding on "stir up Saturday", which is the last Saturday in November; it takes hours to cook, then when it's cold you wrap it in layers of greaseproof paper and store it.  Every week you "feed" it by pushing a thin skewer into it and pouring your liquor of choice - traditionally brandy, but whisky and sherry are also used - into the holes.  The week before Christmas you "marzipan" the cake, ie cover it with almond paste, then on Christmas Eve you ice it with Royal (thick, roll out) icing and your decorations - you can of course get very smart ones, but we, along with many families, have old ones that have been in the box for years - we have penguins, a church with carol singers, a Father Christmas, etc.  (We also used to have little yellow chicks for the Easter cake, but our cats decided to see to them).  The cake lasts forever (especially as most people don't actually like it!).  A similar cake (without the robins, obviously  :)) is traditionally used for wedding cakes, christening cakes, etc.  For weddings, you often cut it up into small slices after the ceremony and send it in special little boxes to people who couldn't attend.

Gammon ham is a joint of ham that can be smoked or unsmoked.  You soak it overnight in water, then you boil it with an onion stuck with cloves for an hour.  When it's cooled down you score the fat with a knife, rub it with a mixture of mustard and brown sugar, stick it with some more cloves, put it in a roasting tin with a bit of apple juice or cider and roast it for about 45 minutes.  Then you can eat it hot or cold.  My children love it with fried potatoes or bubble and squeak.

I think a pecan or pumpkin pie would go down much better with most of us, but we are stuck with the tradition of the dread Christams pudding, which has to be flamed in spirit of some kind as it comes to the table.  You have it with brandy sauce or brandy butter - my husband always makes vast quantities of the latter (except he makes it with whisky).  Delia Smith suggests slicing up left over pudding and frying it for breakfast - personally I can think of few things more horrible.

Our turkey is stuffed with sage and onion stuffing or a variation thereon - the supermarkets sell all sorts of different stuffings now.  The health and safety mafia these days tell us not to stuff the bird but to cook the stuffing separately.  I remember when I was a child once going for Christmas to an aunt's.  She was not a great cook, and her sister had left her some notes on how to do the turkey.  In capital letters she had written "STUFF IT BUM END" - which for me at age 7 or 8 seemed immensely naughty.

Is a yam a sweet potato?  We would never have had them in my childhood, but I do remember going with my mother on occasion to Brixton, and area of inner London that in those days was almost exclusively West Indian (these days it is heavily gentrified and the property prices reflect that) - there was a huge street market there every day, and they sold sweet potatoes, plantains, etc - I found it fascinating.  Nowadays we can buy sweet potatoes in the supermarket, and I really like them, but we would never serve them with Christmas dinner (why I am not sure, they are delicious).

As for our transport - well it is just typical of our rail companies, they are hopeless.  I remember as a child seeing the Golden Arrow steam train from our back garden in south London, as it made its way to Dover, and some of you may have seen the wonderful old steam trains in the  film of The Railway Children (no, I was not alive then!  just an example!).  I recently saw a very interesting programme about the hill railways of India, most of which were built by British engineers and are still going strong.  Sadly, things have changed a lot since then in the UK, and our trains are notoriously late, overcrowded, expensive and often filthy.  Our local buses have continued to run throughout this bad weather - some of them go right up to the north coast and the country towns in between, and they have managed, but the trains just don't seem to be able to cope.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
Barb, I do hope you enjoy 44 Scotland Street - if you do, you will have all of the sequels to look forward to.   I am one of those people who can hardly wait for the next one to come out.  My new copy of the latest Isobel Dalhousie story arrived yesterday, and I am so looking forward to that after i finish Ladies of Covington.

R

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 03:13:14 PM »
Rosemary, it's been over 20 years since my only visit to Edinburg.  I remember standing by a busy street with my friend Bonnie because good (or not so good) Presbyterian that I am, I wanted to visit St. Giles.  The traffic was horrendous, and we pondered, and then along came an elderly woman who marched between us, grabbed an arm from each, and walked us across the street, so we'd be safe.

Jean, glad you mentioned Grand Central.  I saw it for the first time a few months ago, when in NY with SeniorLearn.  My girls wanted me to see it, and the Oyster Bar.  Really impressive.

As for fish at Christmas, when I was growing up on Christmas Eve we always had lutefisk (think abused cod) and lefse (mashed potatoes, lard, and ? rolled thin and best cooked on a wood stove.)  I thought lefse was the best food in the whole world.  My brother thought it was like chewing on his necktie.  I didn't eat the lutefisk that my Norwegian family ate with melted butter, and the one Swedish uncle ate with a mustard sauce.

As families change, so do some traditions.  When my children were all home we'd have beef fondue on Christmas Eve.  When I spend Christmas with my son and his family, Christmas Eve is spent at DIL's sister, and she often serves lobster.  This year I'll be in Seattle and am sure my oldest daughter will make her special macaroni, which has potatoes and four cheeses and as my grandson says, "doesn't come out of a box."

Gum, I just sent your food comments to my soon-to-be-visiting-Australia granddaughter, with orders to eat Vegemite and sticky date pudding and pumpkin.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
Rosemary - we are guilty of using the expression Yam to describe a certain type of Sweet Potato when it is really not a Yam at all. And then, there are some who use the expression Yam to describe all Sweet Potatoes.

There are two popular kinds of Sweet Potato - one has a thicker skin, more orange in color and tends to be shaped like a tuber - when cooked it is a bit sweeter and the flesh is softer than the other that is usually larger, thin skinned, yellow and looks more like a large white Idaho baking potato.

Actually upon research a Yam is grown and popular in Africa and can be very long - still have not found a photo or graphic of a true Yam - but this site goes into the differences among sweet potatoes and refers to the Yam - the site shows us a few photos of the sweet potato.

For those of us who live in the south our cuisine heavily utilizes a Sweet Potato - from pies to various casseroles, baked, in salads and even sliced and fried into chips.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/sweetpotato.html

Aha, so pedlin it sounds like offering fish during the Christmas holidays is also a Norwegian tradition... is that right?

I do think families are individualizing their holidays rather than keeping to national traditions that were the staple [will never say the word or pass the store again without thinking of bellemere's story about the nativity and a little boy] anyhow back to how we are no longer being faithful to the national traditions that defined from where our family emigrated.

P.S. Forgot - the daily - sunny, clear sky and another 'hot' day - we are expecting a cold front tonight that will plunge us into the 40s and high 30s over night and only the 50s tomorrow but for now we are in the high 80s and on my sheltered patio it is showing the 90s.  :) Smile it is Christmas -  really -  in our hearts we are feeling the wonder of it all.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
Barb - that is an interesting thought, as our family would I am sure always think it didn't immigrate from anywhere!  But I suppose it must have done at some point.

Although we nearly all have turkey at Christmas now, my mother's generation are still not happy with it and see it as an American incursion.  However, I am have just had a look at the National Trust Book of Christmas and Festive Day Recipes, and that has reminded me that turkeys were driven in flocks to the London markets from Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Norfolk "before the railways were developed" - in fact I think there is a film based on this but of course I can't remember what it's called  :)

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
PS Barb - I can't believe your temperatures!  We have icicles hanging from the roof, and my friend showed me a photo of one that is spiralling down from the top of her house, past her bedroom and down to the ground floor - she lives out in the country and has a huge house.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »
Sorry, I promise to be quiet after this, but I just must share with you all the fact that my elder daughter Anna is singing a solo, Cantique de Noel (O Holy Night), at Aberdeen Music Hall on Wednesday night in our Evening Express Carol Concert.  She's practising it in the shower as I type!

R

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
Rosemary to hear and see your daughter singing on such a wonderful stage - oh my - goose bumps - here is Joan Baez singing the French Carol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUOYfRxVrsc

I notice our PBS station is offering us 'Celtic Thunder' singing all Christmas music tomorrow night and that group includes one Scotsman, George Donaldson.
http://www.celticthunder.ie/

Nothing much on tonight so it may be the perfect night for me to pull out Balanchine's Nutcracker - corny and klutzy but I am a sucker for Tchaikovsky.

Looking forward to the movie based on Swan Lake – I believe it is called the Black Swan. Wasn’t that a popular book last year? Has anyone read it?

Rosemary another – you moving to Scotland – I love all kinds of music – yes, I sing along with Opera and I love Jazz – about the only that I cannot get into is the heavy metal nor rap. Here in Austin we have all sorts of live music from Mexican, German, Jazz, Rock, Country, the Symphony, the Opera, and small groups that meet to listen to live classical quartets in the homes of some of the music faithful. Austin is home to Austin City Limits – a very long run musical venue on PBS.

All that to say one of my recent favorites is a young man from Scotland – since he appeared on Austin City Limits I have purchased a couple of his Cds – do you know Paolo Nutini? His gravely voice – in fact Julia Robert’s expression seems to fit him as well – he looks and sounds like an unmade bed. However, there is something that mesmerizes me about his voice - here are the links to his appearance on Austin City Limits and his web site that includes some links to his singing.

http://austincitylimits.org/archives-artistspages/episodes/seasons/season-33/item/season33-copy/3307-paolo-nutini-grupo-fantasma

http://www.paolonutini.com/

And then from the Sublime of Catique de Noel to Zydeco - here is a link to Canjun Music on the radio including a Cajun Christmas from Lousiana

http://www.cajunradio.org/christmas.html
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
Oh, I agree with you, Nlhome, Jean - this has turned out to be a really "pleasant" discussion - and so much more than we imagined when setting up the discussion last month!  Each time we come in here, there is more to marvel about.   The recipes - we must get some of them into the heading for easy reference as we draw near to the holidays.
Please keep them coming!

And the music!  I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to play some of the links you've provided -  I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop - with the tv on and husband sitting beside me - sleeping.  I'm sure if I turn on Barb's link to   Louisiana Cajun  Christmas music he'll  wakeright up - and complain about it.  I'll have to come in early in the morning to read all of the delicious posts here.

Bellemere - do you know how to "COPY"  and "Paste"  links?  If you do, just open up a site, look to the top of the page in your browser line, "copy" the whole line you see there, beginning with "http..." and then "Paste"  that copied line into a post.  Ann Alden is down with a terrible cold, feeling quite "puny"  today - but emailed this link from You Tube, that I think you are talking about.
Jean - this is NOT the National Cathedral Messiah but you all  really MUST click this You Tube Link - over 9 million hits so far - for good reason...Handel would love it!  I hope you can hear it - turn up the sound and make it full screen if you can.

Steph

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 06:11:30 AM »
If you like spicy, I make lovely fish stews using both regular fish and whatever shellfish is available. I use garlic, onions in a sizzle, then add
Rotel,, generally the basic can.. then some fish broth, let it all simmer away for maybe half an hour..Then start putting in first the fish, then in a bit the shellfish.. Lots of people will add rice, in the soup bowl, but I just like the stew with tons of good french or cuban bread. A favorite meal of mine, that is impossible to make for one person.
I found the beggar recipe, but since my big pc died a silly not turn on thing, I am on the lap top in another room entirelyh. Will try to put it in later today.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
  Ah, fruitcake! So that's what your Christmas cake is.  Fruitcakes used to be a must
for Christmas, but they fell into disfavor. None of my family likes them and I don't
think I've seen one for decades.
  Gammon ham must be very salty. A couple of generations ago I understand there were
hams that had to be soaked a good long while before baking.  They must have been much
the same thing. Now, you can just dress up a ham and stick in the oven. We often see
sliced ham served as well as turkey for Christmas,...especially if there is a large
crowd. I've never tasted the famed Christmas pudding, but I imagine your use of the
word 'dread' confirms my impression that it must be pretty heavy.
  Are the railroads government managed or privately owned? That's probably key to the
problem.

Hosting the big family Christmas dinner was a tradition passed down from mother to
daughter through generations. When it became my turn, my house was roomy enough to
welcome a good-sized crowd. I could, and happily did, serve as many as 22-23 people.
Relatives brought favorite dishes, of course, and there was room for everyone to move
about and be comfortable, inside or out.

That fish stew sounds good, STEPH.  I've never heard of using Rotel in one, but Rotel is  a
staple at our house.  In fact, you've reminded me that I'm hungry and want my breakfast!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

kiwilady

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »
As NZ and Australia have " grown up" and derived their own traditions we are eating more and more seafood on festive occaisions. Prawns, smoked salmon, salmon fillets and whole baked fish wrapped in foil and done on the Barbeque. Most people here fire up the barbeque on Christmas day. The chickens or turkey are done on the barbeque spit. In Auckland we have humid summers and nobody wants to have the oven going for hours. My eldest son does his lamb on the spit.

In my family only the meat varieties are served hot with maybe some baby potatos everything else is cold. Lots of varieties of salads too. Desserts are cold. Pavlovas are a tradition, fresh fruit salads, cheesecakes, strawberries, chocolate logs or Black forest cakes always big bowls of fresh whipped cream and tubs of icecream.

I still remember the British style Christmas dinners as a child. The heat of the kitchen. Sitting down in the boiling heat eating a hot dinner. I prefer what we have now.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 01:45:36 PM »
Here it is the noon hour already - no more Good Morning but Good Afternoon –

The daily - that cold front blew in here last evening and blow it did - it blew open my front door!!! - Granted I did not have the dead bolt pulled, just the lock on the handle but it was locked. - Lock and all the door blew wide open - Here it is noon and the temp is still in the low 50s - sunny but the sky is not as blue - sort of a gray hazy look and the wind keeps blowing.

Notice the deer decided to get out of the wind so they are laying in the sun behind the bedroom wing - when I opened the patio door I did not see them but the fawns born last Spring all jumped up and looked - they did not run off taking their cue from the moms who did not move.

OK Babi - Ham - lets look at it - having lived in Kentucky for 12 years I was very acquainted with country ham that is a specialty now where as it seems only a few years ago it was the norm. And yes, you are so right, country ham regardless if it was Kentucky ham or Virginia ham, the two most known, or ham cured from any other state had to be soaked before cooking to get all that outside curing material and mold off the ham.

We are buying everything now that is sold by large food distributers that it is a luxury with outrageous prices to find what was considered a backwoods kind of food preparations that only country people regularly ate and supposed sophisticated city folks only ate with nostalgia.

Here are a couple of links that say it better and have wonderful photos. The first is from an Inn in Harrodsburg Kentucky, which includes the history of Kentucky Ham.
http://www.beaumontinn.com/kentucky_ham.htm
After reading about the Ham if you go to their dining room using the link at the top - they picture and link to several traditional southern foods and desserts. The ambiance is so Central Kentucky that  it feels like I just had a visit and can hear the bumblebee murmur of many voices that are the typical drone of a crowd in Kentucky.

Granted these two links are from Wikipedia, which is not a favorite of this site because of its many inaccuracies - however, these two white papers give the best information in an easy format to skim. The first link explains Country Ham - the states where it is part of their food prep and diet - the process curing Country Ham - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_ham -
The second link does a nice job of explaining Southern Cuisine and what is special to the states within the southern region. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Southern_United_States

In Texas, there is almost an invisible line that goes right down the middle dividing the landscape and culture between Southern and Western. I live on the top of the first Mesa, just past the ancient Fault Line that starts the western landscape and its cultural thinking, where only a couple of miles down the Mesa is the typical gumbo like soil that stretches east to the Mississippi and south to the Gulf Coast, where pecan trees are prolific and gardens can be dug rather than a pick ax or jackhammer required to dig a flowerpot in the limestone in order to plant what is not indigenous to the area.

And Finally, this link explains the difference between Gammon and Ham - the Gammon is salty but then so is the  ham - it appears to be when the piece of ham is cut and salted that makes the name difference  - I will leave Rosemary to give us any other insightful traditions associated with Gammon. http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/rss/item/1081

rosemarykaye

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
Delia Smith says this about "ham, gammon and bacon";

"Each of these are terms used to describe meat from the pig that has been cured, ie preserved and flavoured in several different ways, either by salting, smoking or being steeped in brine, molasses or honey.  There are hundreds of refinements of the curing process used throughout the world: the wafer thin Parma ham or proscuitto is a great delicacy in Italy, and in France the raw ham from the Bayonne district in the Pyrenees is smoked with aromatic herbs.  In this country, we have our own specialities:

York ham is the most famous.  It is dry salt-cured and lightly smoked with a mild flavour.  A similarly mild cure is the Wiltshire cured ham.  For those who like a stronger, smokier flavour there us the Suffolk cure, prepared in molasses which adds a sweetness to the flavour.  Bradenham ham, very expensive, is also steeped in molasses, which turns the skin completely black."

i must admit I didn't know any of this till I looked it up - to me a gammon is a gammon, or my grandmother would always have called it "boiled bacon" (and did they ever boil it - like everything else in their house it was cooked till it tasted of nothing).

Incidentally, Nigella Lawson (whom I do find quite annoying, but she does have the occasional good idea!) has a recipe for "Ham In Coca Cola" - I have made this and it works very well, I suppose it is just the sweetness in the coke that comes through, just as if you had used brown sugar (she does say Do Not Use Diet Coke -  ;D)  She also says that it comes from the Deep South - i will leave you to confirm or deny this.  In one of her books there is also a recipe for coca cola cake, and again we have made this with great success - but I suppose it is the same principle on which cakes used to be made, in war time, with condensed milk instead of sugar - it's all just about sweetening in the end.

Nigella also says that "ham" and "gammon" are interchangeable - but to me, ham still means thinly sliced stuff you buy from the deli counter and put in sandwiches, whereas gammon is the meat cooked on the bone and served up as a main meal.

What I really popped up for was to say that, if anyone wants it, I do have a great recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding.  It also includes a lovely toffee sauce.  Let me know if you would like me to post it.

Rosemary

kiwilady

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
I love honey baked ham! I also like natural wood smoked and natural cured. As you say the hams that are done the old fashioned way cost a fortune nowdays!

Carolyn

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »
Oh yes, please - the sticky toffee pudding sounds like a 1000 calories per serving but heck - please, realize I am funning - if you have icicles from roof to ground the effort of just breathing in all that cold must use at least a 100 calories a breath never mind the calories needed to build the muscle mass to carry the weight of all those coats, shawls, sweaters, scarves and what not you would need to bundle yourself warm.   ;)

Yes, several recipes floating around using Coke -  something about water leaches out the good in meat where as Coke adds - and the citrus in Coke will do wonders for this and that ailment - for sugar you need Mexican Coke because the rest of us are now drinking a Corn Syrup type sugar where as the Mexican people would not buy it unless it has the flavor that only cane sugar gives to Coke.

Of course there are all sorts of joke as to why the South has a reputation for being laid back as well as, why there are so many good with words and the imagination to write a good novel - Coke to this day still has a trace of Cocaine in it - the attempt is to get all the cocaine out of the Coca leaves but they can't get it all.  The South is home to Coke and so the joke among many is, everyone is high on Coke.  

What is really scary is you can clean the grout between your bathroom tile like no other using Coke - it takes blood off the street better than water so, most Highway Patrol vehicles carry a case of Coke in their trunk to clean up after an accident and after washing the tires on your vehicle the best way to make them black and retard the amount of dirt and grime they pick up is to spray the tires down with Coke.

My favorite Santa Ad from Coca Cola is the one with all the elves - here is a web site with a selection of Santa Ads - just a bit of patience till it uploads...
http://coca-cola-art.com/2008/11/25/coca-cola-christmas-santa-claus-haddon-sundblom/

History of Coke http://www.solarnavigator.net/sponsorship/coca_cola.htm

All about Coke including what is guessed at its recipes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

Janice

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2010, 01:51:42 AM »
We generally have ham for Christmas dinner, usually the spiral cut hams which are more tender.  I would switch to that delicious sounding fish in a second though.  I've enjoyed all the music links too.  I haven't heard Joan Baez voice since long ago.  Still so beautiful.  It was fun to look at the coke santa pictures too.  I would also like the pudding recipe and would be happy to see it posted.  A long time ago I had a recipe for English Toffee and wonder if anyone has that recipe.  It's pretty cold here.  Only a little dusting of snow so far but the temperatures are in the twenties.  I took my grandchildren to a tree lighting ceremony last night and it was so beautiful.  It was at our local football stadium and the crowd was just the right size.  St. Nicholas comes tonight here, does anyone else have that tradition?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
So here it is!

Sticky Toffee Pudding

5oz caster sugar
3oz margarine (eg Stork soft blend)
2 eggs, beaten
6oz self raising flour, sieved
6oz chopped dates
1/2 (half) teaspoon vanilla essence
6 fl.oz boiling water
3/4 (three quarters) teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons coffee essence (I use "Camp" but I suppose you could use instant coffee dissolved in a little hot water)

Butter and flour a dish - must be at least 1 pint capacity.  I use a shallow oblong pottery dish.  Preheat oven to 160oC (160 degrees centigrade).

Put the dates, vanilla, bicarb and coffee essence into a bowl, pour over the boiling water and leave to cool (doesn't need to get stone cold).

In a separate bowl, cream the margarine and sugar.  Add one egg at a time with a spoonful of the measured flour, and beat them in.  Add the cooled date mixture, stir well.  Fold in the rest of the flour (ie no more beating, just gentle stirring).  The mixture may be quite runny.

Pour into the prepared dish and bake in the preheated over for 30-40 mins (sometimes mine seems to take longer - it's done when you press it lightly with your finger and it springs back - shouldn't be soggy in the middle but not burnt either!)

Sauce
4oz margarine (I use block margarine (eg Stork block) for this but I think soft blend would be OK, or you could use butter)
6oz soft brown sugar
1/2 (half) pint cream - single or double, UHT is fine.

Melt the margarine in a saucepan.  Add sugar and cook for 2 minutes.  Add cream and bring slowly to the boil.  Pour into a jug and serve.

Both the pudding and the sauce will keep well if you have leftovers.  You could also freeze the pudding when cooked and make the sauce later.

Enjoy!

Steph

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2010, 06:24:28 AM »
So basically gammon and ham are the same to us.. I love country ham.. They have wonderful ones in Virginia and Tennessee.. We used to have a neighbor who came from Tennessee . Her Dad used to bring her his home cures each year and she would share.. She soaked it overnight and then put it in a huge pot..Covered with water, brought to a simmer and then turned the stovge off and covered the whole thig with an old old blanket.. Let it sit for hours.Then dumped the water and treated it like regular ham with whatever you might want, cloves, etc in the oven. Heavenly,, had to be sliced very very thin, but Oh me, the taste.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
Oh I love coming in here, gives you the holiday spirit! We had Stickey Toffee Pudding yesterday and it nearly carried us all off but I noticed not a crumb was left, either. hahaha

Mincemeat pie and Sticky Toffee Pudding for  Christmas, every year.

Pearson how poignant those lines you quoted, chokes me up every time I read them, I loved that.

Here is the famous Squash recipe, I guess you could call it Never Fail Squash Recipe, it's not mine, it's from somebody in the cooking areas of the old  SeniorNet, it's an old one obviously but you can alter it, and it has never failed:

Never Fail Squash Casserole

2 lbs raw yellow squash
salt and pepper
1 stick margarine
1 to 1 1/2 cups  Ritz cracker crumbs (saltines can be substitued)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 medium onion, chopped
1 egg
1/2 skim milk

Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray
Cook squash until tender, drain well. Mash well, add margarine, salt, pepper, onion, cheese, egg,  milk and half the cracker crumbs. Mix well and pour into baking dish. Sprinkle remainder of cracker crumbs on top and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake for 30 minutes.

And here is a never fail cranberry salad (some people call this Fluff but it's not intended as the real Fluff) but it also not only never fails, it always disappears.

Also not my recipe from the St. Matthew's  Cookbook "I Want Your Recipe," must be 35 years old, from Carolyn Miller, have never seen one exactly like it:

Cranberry Holiday Salad:

1 pkg raw cranberries
2 c miniature marshmallows
1/2 c. nuts chopped (if you like nuts, I leave them out)
1 1/4 c sugar
9 oz Cool Whip

Day before: Wash and grind 2 c raw cranberries. Add 1 1/4 cups sugar and 2 cups miniature marshmallows. Combine and let stand overnight in fridge. Next morning fold in 9 oz Cool Whip and 1/2 c nuts if you like nuts. Refrigerate several hours before serving.

The longer it sets up the better it is, even days later, it makes a sort of syrup which you need to stir into the mix each time before serving.  I don't know what nuts would do TO it, but it looks like pink fluff without them,  and people absolutely go wild over it.

Saturday a friend and I went to an Open House to benefit Mobile Meals in Union SC, the house was a huge stone mansion 10,000 square feet, decorated to the nines, dated from 1925. It actually was formerly owned by the family, if you remember the awful Susan Smith story who ran her car into the lake and killed her two little boys thinking the rich man's son would marry her. Golly moses. This was the house of that rich man's son, they left town when this happened. Such a beautiful home to have had that attached to it. The new owner is turning it into a B&B, and you can see it on the internet under the Nicholson Mansion in Union SC.

I understand the theory of the B&B but I'd work in a 7-11 before doing that,  myself. :)

She had it beautifully decorated, have never seen the way she did the garland, it makes me want to get all my wooden cranberries from the barn and try again, instead of around the tree it ran up and then down about 3 feet and up and down, looked like a bunch of pearl necklaces,  and they even had live music and refreshments in the kitchen, hot mulled cider and cookies, it was a real holiday feast for the senses.

I like to try to do something to get the Christmas spirit early on, that did it. Very friendly people too.

Happy Happy Holidays!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Babi

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
 I don't blame you, KIWI. I probably couldn't have eaten the meal.
Before air-conditioning, I imagine most summer meals in the South were
planned to avoid the oven.
  Texas is too far west to be considered 'deep South', so perhaps that
is why I've never heard of ham in coca-cola.  Actually, I'm not all
that fond of ham. I like a good ham sandwich, and a ham steak makes a
quick meal. Otherwise, I'd rather have the turkey.
  BARB, I had a science teacher once who liked to scare his students
away from drinking coke. He would drop a piece of raw meat into a
glass, pour in coke, and let us watch the coke eat away the meat.
"There", he would declare, "that's what you're doing to your stomach!"
    What do you all drink at Christmas?  Hot spiced cider is popular here (not hard cider),  a bit of eggnog,  and tea with dinner. That's about it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »
Gosh Babi, you are very abstemious down there!  I don't think I've had tea with a meal since I was at school.  Do you think Americans generally drink less than us, or are you just not keen on it yourself?  my husband used to go to Houston a lot for work (he used to be in the oil industry) and he said everyone there seemed to go to bed by 10pm and have very sober habits.  I don't mean by that that we don't - I am often in bed by 9.30pm and we drink very moderately - but he noticed that Houston was a very quiet place in the evenings.

For our Christmas lunch we have home made tomato and mint soup, hot rolls and sausage rolls, and we always have some sherry to warm us up after our walk - it's about the only time of year we have sherry.  With our evening meal -ie the turkey - we would have wine.  I always get the children some up- market fizzy stuff like elderflower presse or non alcoholic buck's fizz, but now they are older they are allowed to have one glass of wine if they want it. Our view is that they are less likely to go out and get bladdered (as is the delightful terminology here) if they see drink as a normal part of life, ie in moderation - whether that will work or not we can but wait and see.  Our son is 18 now and so far has not ever been drunk to my knowledge, but I can see that my elder daughter will be keener than him to experiment.

After Christmas dinner my husband might well have some whisky, but I wouldn't as these days it gives me a stomach ache. A lot of people like those really sickly liqueurs like Malibu, Baileys, etc - we can't stand them, but when i do my annual stint at bag packing in the supermarket to raise funds for my daughter's choir (we usually do this 2 or 3 days before Christmas) I notice that people buy masses of this stuff.

At New Year it seems to be customary to drink champagne (or a cheaper substitute) but we would only do that if we are at my in-laws - if we stay at home we just have wine.

Re Coca Cola, one of my daughter's classmates has told her that "diet Coke rots your brain".  Yesterday they had to do chemistry homework that consisted of seeing what would dissolve in the fizzy drink of your choice - she had a can of pepsi and was trying to dissolve things like honey.  Her sister suggested she tried the cat's brain (though actually we are not sure that the littlest cat has really got one  :D).

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
 I guess we're wine drinkers at Christmas, here.  Love the Pinot Blanc.  Spiced apple cider for the kids.  We save the champagne for New Year's.

Rosemary, my husband can't stop laughing at your description of Scottish Christmas pudding - he's a Scot -  clan McGreggor.  He's made me promise NOT to make it - but says you must be a writer from that hilarious description.  And Pedln, your brother's metaphor - quite original -
"I thought lefse was the best food in the whole world. My brother thought it was like chewing on his necktie. "

We're going to try to put up a page of these recipes you have all been providing here  - waiting for recipe for Steph's Beggars. JaniceI'd like a recipe for English Toffee too.

Ginny, Bruce agrees with your Christmas menu - mince pie with Sticky Toffee Pudding. He's had to settle for the chocolate Yule Log every year since he married me. Maybe I'll surprise him this year - though the Yule Log will also be on our table.  Can you think of a substitution for the "Cool Whip" in the Cranberry Salad recipe?  Will something else do as well?

Rosemary, we may need a little translation of these Sticky Toffee Pudding ingredients, please?

5oz caster sugar?  caster sugar?
bicarbonate of soda is baking soda, yes?

Smiling at your admonition included with Nigella Lawson's "Ham in Coca Cola" recipe - "don't use Diet Coke!" :D

Here you go, Barb -

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
Elderflower Presse? I am an absolute FOOL for elderflower presse, having attended a summer session at Christ Church Oxford where I fell in love with the stuff. HOW in love, you say? Enough to export cases of it in its strangely shaped glass bottles which I would kill to have  now, I guess I better go back, huh? hahahaa LOVE the stuff.

Pearson on the Cool Whip, unfortunately you're the cook in the bunch, I don't have the chops to even dare to diverge from a recipe tho I just did Sunday with a lovely rice recipe from Mother Earth Magazine or some such title, full of mobile chicken houses which is why I bought it and all kinds of portable loos to compost (I kid you not, makes you afraid to buy property, er... but )...beautiful photo of a rice dish  ("Eat responsibly" said the ad for rice growers) and it was fabulous if I do say so myself.....usually when I diverge so goes the recipe.   I  just make the cranberry stuff or fluff  and those who scoff here at Cool Whip, including my oldest son, who hates the stuff with a passion, and thinks it's poison,  apparently does not realize what it is and  scarfs it up, what would you think might do as a substitute?

I guess you could use cream and whip it,  but it sure would be fattening, do they make a no fat cream? I suppose you could use sour cream but the cranberries are sour and the super part is the sour cranberry and sweet sugar and cream. It's good stuff.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »
Ginny, you sent me on a google hunt - apparently "there is no substitute for a substitute."   Cool Whip is the substitute for heavy cream -

On the Elderberry Presse - do you have Wegmann's grocery stores near you, yet?  They now carry Elderberry Presse.  If you don't, I'll bring you some the next time I come to Charlotte... ;)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
No we don't have  Wegmann's, that seems to be a northern chain but I see Elderflower presse on Amazon!  hahaha Jeepers I can't believe they've changed the shape of the bottle! I KNEW I should have kept those old bottles!

I don't want you to have to lug those huge bottles!! So like you tho, thank you for the thought.    I'm not as close to Charlotte as you might think: I'm a good  hour and a half away down two interstates if you go  70 mph.    Let me call around, we've got no end of specialty stores here, I'm sure somebody has it.

So if Cool Whip is a substitute for cream, I guess you could use cream if you didn't mind killing self with fat. :) Synthetic or fat, hmmmm. :) Wasn't there something that used to be called Dream Whip? Are you a cool whip hater too? There's no fat, saturated fat, or trans  fat in the fat free one, tho I'm not sure what IS in it, it's good.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2010, 05:20:24 PM »
Rosemary, THANK you for that recipe for  Sticky Toffee Pudding, it looks definitely  doable and I'm glad to hear you can freeze it, too.

I've opened a new file on my desktop called Recipes, I am loving the stuff I'm reading here, we should do a  SeniorLearn Cookbook. I treasure recipes I've gotten over the years,  online. MaryPage had a great looking roasted vegetable one in the library, I copied that, too.

I can't WAIT to make the Sticky Toffee Pudding, no more expensive imports for me!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »
Well the Sticky Toffee "Pudding" was a surprise for me - somehow I had it in my head it was going to be a Sticky bun with a pudding like filling between the layers - this is a new food for  me -  I have had my share of Rice Pudding and all sorts of Bread Puddings made with day-old bread but not a pudding from scratch that contains flour - by the way the sugar is our Confectionery super fine Sugar and  I used to get the Bicarb in a Drug Store along with Hartshorn that I used in several Christmas Cookie recipes but the owner became too old with no children to carry on, so the Drug Store closed. I just looked it up and evidently you can times by four the amount of Bicarb in a recipe using Baking Powder -

Joan thank you - he is s delight isn't he - the elves remind me of my grandboys when they were little and used to pull my son's boots off his feet - no slippers - just a chance to stretch his toes.

Janice YES! The feast of St. Nick is TODAY - we do it - in that last night on the 5th everyone writes their letter and leaves it either on the mantle or by the front door in a boot or a shoe with some carrots and hay stuck in their boots. Then today there is always left a little token gift - a new writing pad or a pair of socks - when I was little it was a new pencil or toothbrush - Also, the Christmas books - each year another new Book is added -

When the grands came along I broke up the collection but now I have my own collection because my children are married over 20 years - and there is the Advent calendars from past years along with the Advent wreathe that is late starting but it comes to us always on the Feast of St. Nick - For the past 10 years there has been a new Cd with Christmas music added to the collection - this year's Cd is 'On Yoolis Night medieval carols & motets' and my dear daughter found and sent to me an old copy [I love old books with the cloth cover expecially if the owner's name is written usually on the Title Page] The Christmas Books of Mr. M. A Titmarsh Etc. by William Makepeace Thackery, published by Harper and Brothers, New York and London, 1899. What a treat...

My Daughter just called - of course to tell me how much the calendars for the boys and their book meant to them plus Oh dear Ty had 4 yes, Four, all 4 Wisdom teeth pulled - oh oh oh - they were heading  home and he tried to talk but bless  his heart I could not understand a word he said. Ty is now 20 and in his 2nd year at Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah.

Ginny, Elderflower presse - is that similar to the Elderflower water that I get at IKEA?  If it is it is really nice isn't it.

Be back in a few minutes the phone is ringing off the hook.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Well I got to gabbing here without sharing our weather - It's fun commenting on the day - I love the out-of-doors and could not imagine ever working full time indoors - part of my day is always spent outside, most often driving in other areas of town.

Today was a melancholy day - the temps in the very high 50s spilling over into the low 60s - not warm and not really cold - the sky was that pale washed out blue with those long whispy clouds that make you want to drive out in ranch land this time of year to  see the swathes of various colored grasses from nearly white to a doe beige and dove gray to a deep maroon.

I was feeling the cold settle as I drove home thinking it was a perfect night for a bowl of soup when oh, oh, there in the middle of a very busy downtown street with 6 lanes of traffic - no way could a driver stop - there in the middle was a child's Teddy Bear - I filled up with tears - Hope mom understood where she was when the little one probably said 'stop' and tonight maybe she can go back and retrieve the Teddy since it was right on the double yellow line.

Ginny - an idea - your squash dish - I wonder if all those ingredients added to some chicken or vegetable broth if that would make a filling squash soup. Even leaving the crackers in it - they would thicken it - a squash soup topped with cheese melting into it - hmmm

Rosemary - I sure understand Babi and her tea -  we drink ice tea like our life depended upon it like an intravenous drip - lunch-time glasses of tea are at least 16 oz  size - bottled water comes in at a very close second - Most prefer sweetened tea and so restaurants have large vats of cold sweetened tea that is poured into a glass filled with ice topped with a slice of lemon.  With summer temps for at least 3 months hovering around and over 100 we have a glass or bottle of something glued to our hands. After work many used to grab a 'long neck' - a bottle of beer that comes in a long necked bottle - there are only a few beers that are bottled with a long neck - Lone Star out of San Antonio was one of them.

I say 'used to' because our drinking any alcoholic drink is not what it was as recently as the 1980s. We have become a puritanical lot here in America -  back in the 80s no builder would consider a middle price range house without a bar area off the living room - most with a tiny bar sink and the usual glass-shelves for glasses and bottles - some even had a small frig under the built-in-counter. Then in the 90s we had a phase of wine exploration for middle and high income families. The bars were often closed in and turned into a closet with a wine refrigerator.

Then in the late 90s through the 2000s we had a rush to change ourselves and become healthy in mind, spirit and body. Twelve step meetings scheduled in nearly every church, recovery was the talk, jogging, the gym and long distance bike rides were/are after-work activities for most folks or, they jog in the early morning before light - and the biggie - Mother's Against Drunk Driving (MADD http://www.madd.org/about-us/history/ made a huge impact with laws right and left so that open bottles of beer while driving was no longer acceptable. Folks drink very little hard liqueur and if they drink at a friends house they designate someone as the driver who will not drink at all.

Drinking is down and as Joan says a couple of glasses of wine or, some prefer beer usually with a meal or at a social gathering. There may still be some who do a cocktail hour or have a drink after a walk or run but they are fewer and far between. Add to that some Christian groups that frown on drinking - we also have an increased Asian population especially in those cities where jobs focus on the Tech or Medical industry and Asians do not drink.

I went to London for 5 years in a row at Christmas time when my children were in the early stages of their marriage and I just did not want to wait around for a 15 minute visit from them - So I took myself off and saw the shows - One year I mistakenly chose to return after New Year - Holy Hannah the drunks and those being sick on the streets in London and it was not even nightfall yet. After that I always made sure I was on the way home before New Year's Eve - it reminded me of what it was like when I was a little Kid - and so I would say that yes, we in the States have become an abstemious lot...even our daily as well as, holiday menus have slimmed down as the Alice Water's message about fresh garden foods has taken over so that even the White House has a kitchen garden.

I stopped off at the nursery today for a few plants - adding to my herb collection I picked up Stevia - has anyone grown it? - the leaves are supposed to be a natural sweetener - we shall see what we shall see. - I'm off to my new 'old' book, bowl of soup with my new Cd playing in the background - Happy St. Nickolas Day...

Janice

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
Oh those recipe's look so tasty.  I'll be able to have a new menu for Christmas this year.  My family came over today to celebrate St. Nicholas Day with me and color pictures.  I have young grand children.  It is very pleasant reading all the comments hear and many of them bring back sweet memories.  My youngest grandchild is only 4 and she was anxious to get to the bottom of her stocking to see if she had an orange and was very relieved when she did...then she proceded to eat it all up.
I love the out of doors as well so this time of year is a little trying, but oh so nice to come back inside and enjoy some tea or cocoa.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
The other day I almost picked up a quart of  eggnog at the grocery store, then remembered I didn't have anything to put in it.  Wine would not do the trick.  And I found I have no nutmeg, so best think that one through a bit.

I remember years ago around Christmas time or in the winter, my folks would serve something called Tom and Jerrys -- similar to eggnog, but not quite the same, and served with bourbon or rum.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

If you have family and friends who like a nice bitey pungent liquer to top off a meal, here's a recipe for you to make and share. Just be sure you have the strength in your hands to peel 17 lemons (I don't) and the fortitude to shake up a gallon jug twice a day for three weeks.  A thimbleful is so yummy.

Limoncello

DIL makes it, not frequently, and has given me bottles upon occasion.  I'm always very careful to return the containers to her so she'll do it again.  It keeps forever in the freezer, but never freezes.

kiwilady

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 11:40:34 PM »
Today I found a cooked ham which is naturally preserved and already sliced its a small one and its from cage free pigs fed no hormones etc. Its for small families or a person on their own. Its $24.95 whereas the large hams are about $62.00.

Carolyn

rosemarykaye

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2010, 03:25:40 AM »
JoanP - the wonderful Mary Berry, whose little paperback books of cake recipes are my absolute staples (though the pudding recipe didn't come from her - I got it from a friend), says that caster sugar is "very fine granulated sugar" - in other words, it is finer than the stuff we put in our tea but coarser than icing sugar, which is more like a powder.  Unfortunately she doesn't give a translation for bicarb but I think Barb has sorted that out.  Please note also that the recipe uses self-raising flour - we have self raising and plain flours, and the SR one has baking powder already added - if you don't have SR flour you can convert plain flour by adding baking powder (which I believe consists of bicarb + cream of tartar), but I am not sure of the exact amount to add - I used to have a tin that had the amounts on it but my daughter put it into the recycling box.  The new plastic tubs are not the same and don't tell you anything.  I will try to do some research.

Will be back when I've found the answers!

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »
Oh Tom and Jerrys. I remember when young having a December that I was dedicated to them.. But yes, americans seem to drink less and less. I cant remember the last alcohol other than wine I have had.. Amazing when I consider the 60-80's.. Hmm.. I guess we have our puritan moments again.
I am still reduced to my laptop and typing on that tends to be much harder. Will save the beggars until the computer person comes..

salan

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2010, 06:41:16 AM »
Oh my, all of you have started me on a nostalgic journey back in time.  I have now started journaling again--with memories of past Christmases.  I will share some of my memories and recipes with you as the mood strikes; but right now I am curious about fellow "Seniors".  I have only been a part of you for the past year, so you have probably shared information with each other in the past.  Barb and Babi, I am a fellow Texan also.  I live in the Texas Hill Country about 70 miles nw of Austin (in your neck of the woods, Barb).  I am experiencing the same weather, but perhaps a bit colder.  Babi, I have a sister and nieces and nephews who live in Houston; so I visit there often.  When my dd husband and I were first married, we lived in Houston and I taught school there.

I have enjoyed all your postings, and found myself wondering where everyone is located.  Where do all of you live?  Maybe you could post the area and weather you are experiencing.   Are there any other Texans out there?  It sounds like some traditions are regional.

Joan P.  I am also from the clan MacGreggor. 

We didn't celebrate Saint Nicholas Day.  Is is something especially specific to certain churches or to certain nationalities.  I know what it is, but don't know anyone who celebrates it.  It sounds like a great tradition.

Sally